Sign in to follow this  
Batta

Bedrolls

Has any of the server mods added bedrolls and festive bedrolls yet?  Would be great to have them.

I´m sure you are aware of this / know more than I do 😀  I am also not a lawyer, have no legal background, so this is in not legal advice.

I am not exactly sure how far this extends, but it would appear to me that ``bedrolls`` and ``festive bedrolls``, which were added to WO on January 16, 2020, could validate a copyright infringement under certain circumstances. Would a re-imagined ``sleeping bag`` with self-made models/textures be considered copyright infringement? I would imagine that would be perfectly fine, considering that happens on a daily basis, and Wurm Online (along with almost every other company and person on the planet) has surely taken ideas from others and made it their own too.

But again, I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Just thought this would be relevant to bring up, as we don´t want anyone getting into trouble - especially after already being warned.

@RetrogradeConsidering the linked forum post is locked, in a different forum, and possibly being removed altogether, it would probably be helpful if an offical statement in regards to WU/WO Mods and Copyright Infringement were stickied in the WU Mod forum, as I am not sure how clear that is to the community. It could even be as easy as updating the Rules sticky. While it likely isn´t CCAB´s responsibility to inform the WU community of this type of thing, I find it would be the right thing to do and a gesture of good faith. WU is, at the end of the day, also your game, and people playing it are also customers, even if we aren´t as high of a priority as WO customers (which I completely understand). It would be a shame to see a legal dispute within the WO/WU community, and a little prevention could go a long way.

Edited by Hilo
Spelling

As long as the mod used original models/textures, and not the actual models/textures from Wurm Online, the name could remain as "bedrolls", etc.  Words are not assets, in my opinion, unless they are trademarked.

i think retro was referring to models that are in WO but were never added to WU, this would mean that someone copied the models from a WO installation and then used them in a WU installation, which is indeed copying from 1 game to use in another and would breach copy write law. If the models exist in the WU installation then referring to them in a WU mod would not be copy write but if you copied the model file into the mod and used them it 'may' possibly be thought of as copy write.

Fortunately the latest version of serverpacks can use references to the models in WU without needing to actually copy them for use, so if modders adopt that usage then it won't even be an issue to think about any more.

End of the day though I think modders should look at adding their own models and avoid the copy write subject completely, if you made the model yourself then it should be fine.