Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Xanadu is moving to Cloudnet on July 13th

Hello all!

With the success of Celebration's move, we're marching forward by moving Xanadu to the new hosting provider Cloudnet. This move will take place on July 13th at 3pm server time (9am US Eastern time) and require an extended downtime of all servers of about 1.5 hours.

I want to control expectations with this move in that we are not expecting that Xanadu will become "lag-free" with this move. What I do expect is performance to be the same, if not slightly improved. The new server does have newer hardware and better disk I/O speeds which may help, but the sheer size of Xanadu leaves me skeptical that it will make a huge impact. I'm most certainly looking forward to being proven wrong though!

Feel free to drop your questions in replies and I'll attempt to answer them or compile them into a larger post. I'd still like to do a bigger post about Cloudnet and our roadmap for this move, but right now the main focus is getting Xanadu moved and monitoring it.

Thank you and happy Wurming! (Well, except during that downtime. ;) )

Updates

3pm: Servers down, starting transfer.

3:45pm: In the process of moving the data to the new host. All network changes have been completed.

4:30pm: Need to make a few config changes to the new host before we bring everything online, they should be completed shortly.

5pm: Servers starting up now. Watching the logs carefully!

All servers online!

• Like 19
  • Cat 1

If all goes well with Xanadu, would we be expecting all of the servers move to cloudnet prior to the steam release? Also, is the plan to have the new servers launch on cloudnet?

• Cat 1

can you migrate xanadu and then sink it at long last?

• Like 4
  • Cat 1

1 hour ago, McGarnicle said:

If all goes well with Xanadu, would we be expecting all of the servers move to cloudnet prior to the steam release? Also, is the plan to have the new servers launch on cloudnet?

The new servers will be launched on Cloudnet, that much is in the works already.

We're not shooting to have all servers migrated before the Steam release. This is a separate time table, with the Steam release taking priority.

• Like 2

Keenan you get ONE forehead kiss for your efforts.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, user said:

From everyone though

• Like 5

Thanks for the notice, good luck with your efforts, they are massively appreciated.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 2:30 PM, user said:

I am sure some off us here will give him two if not three forehead kisses with some maybe even giving him a sneaky kiss elsewhere

On 7/7/2020 at 5:38 PM, Keenan said:

I want to control expectations with this move in that we are not expecting that Xanadu will become "lag-free" with this move.

Will build a shrine in your honor if Xanadu becomes lag free with this move.

• Like 1

Good luck with moving Xanadu tomorrow @Keenan, I hope your coffee machine is fully stocked and working :)

I am scared someone  pass be a bottle of something strong to drink .... so I can pass out until this is all done and over with LOL

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

7 minutes ago, RavenLure said:

I am scared someone  pass be a bottle of something strong to drink .... so I can pass out until this is all done and over with LOL

We can both hit the bottle once it's over with! ;)

• Like 4

Any ETA on what time servers go down today?

3 minutes ago, Cecci said:

Any ETA on what time servers go down today?

They did

On 7/7/2020 at 11:38 PM, Keenan said:

This move will take place on July 13th at 3pm server time (9am US Eastern time) and require an extended downtime of all servers of about 1.5 hours.

If disk I/O is an issue, maybe it would be worth to experiment with distributed file systems such as Lustre? I have some experience with such systems, maybe I could help. 

Edited by Platyna

10 minutes ago, Platyna said:

If disk I/O is an issue, maybe it would be worth to experiment with distributed file systems such as Lustre? I have some experience with such systems, maybe I could help. 

Disk I/O is a non-issue on the new host. :)

7 minutes ago, Keenan said:

Disk I/O is a non-issue on the new host. :)

Ah, okay, I got this impression from this sentence of yours, which I understood the I/O was and may continue to be a problem:

On 7/7/2020 at 11:38 PM, Keenan said:

The new server does have newer hardware and better disk I/O speeds

Was it investigated what exactly happens on the system during the lag spikes? I will understand if you will not disclose this on public forum. It seems to be an interesting problem to solve though.

Edited by Platyna

1 minute ago, Platyna said:

Ah, okay, I got this impression from this sentence of yours, which I understood the I/O was and may continue to be a problem:

Was it investigated what exactly happens on the system during the lag spikes? 

Yes, we know what causes the spikes. It's a software issue where the main thread gets overloaded by heavily populated zones. We had a disk I/O issue on Amazon because of the EBS volumes we were using, and it wasn't financially viable to go with the higher IOPS drives as it would've quadrupled the cost of hosting per server.

What does overloaded means here? I/O waits? Yes, EBS has issues, such as major performance penalty at bigger block sizes. Let's hope for the best then. 

5 minutes ago, Platyna said:

What does overloaded means here? I/O waits? Yes, EBS has issues, such as major performance penalty at bigger block sizes. Let's hope for the best then. 

Big deeds for example cause lag spikes as they are polled at once (if in one zone). I wouldn't call it I/O waits in general it is I/O so reading and writing not just the I/O delay, if that is what you mean.

In general the problem is that most things are single threaded blocking player interaction if something is polled and things are polled non stop otherwhise animals wouldn't move for example.

• Like 2

It's nice to see Xanadu getting some love.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

As a short appraisal after a few hours: The move went fast and the server worked fine after start. Most of the in the last months worsened issues were either gone or ways less critical. After some time, maybe with recurrent population, some issues arose, such as synch troubles during sailing ("Your position .. bla .."). Still, after hours, the server feels ways better than before. To specify: I know Xanadu for 2.6 years circa, and lag has always been present. The last months, though, were among the worst.

I hope the improvements are there to stay. I understand that the troubles by size and population are not addressed by the new hoster.

• Like 1

In game downtime message said updates would be posted here but the only thing suggesting its over is a random players feedback?

• Like 1