Sign in to follow this  
Platyna

Levelling vs. digging skill gain per minute per task.

On 7/6/2020 at 11:47 AM, Platyna said:

Objective: level 12 tile borders from 20 slopes to flat as fast as possible, using levelling or digging, measure time and skill gain, calculate skill gain per minute. 

Any constructive suggestions and comments welcome. 

I've been reading this thread and I don't see many suggestions pertaining to the initial objective.  I think a lot of people responding to this thread are confused by the fact the OP isn't purposely trying to max skill gain, but they aren't focusing on the fact the OP is actually trying to figure out how to max skill gain while still maxing out speed, as McGarnicle already pointed out.

I am also interested to know if leveling is better skill gain when doing this kind of project style digging because I also would rather raise my digging skill via finishing a project rather then grinding it.

So, I know a LOT of you guys are absolutely brilliant with this game and I'm very interested in seeing some of you crazy skillers brainstorm what's the most optimal skilling conditions optimized for speed.

Edited by Object
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Object said:

I am also interested to know if leveling is better skill gain when doing this kind of project style digging because I also would rather raise my digging skill via finishing a project rather then grinding it.

So, I know a LOT of you guys are absolutely brilliant with this game and I'm very interested in seeing some of you crazy skillers brainstorm what's the most optimal skilling conditions optimized for speed.

Skill tick is done when ever a item is produced(aka action finished) in the case of level this is every 4 seconds when you start off in the case of digging is well when your action is done
Tick sizes are different due to different time spend and or actions done vs action time spend 

End of the day both will overall give the same skill with the 3 factors that make it be different being time spend and slope and quantity of actions(how much dirt) but per dirt both give the same with the change in skill gain only changing due to slope height or tile type this is what i was trying to show before
So to answer your question directly level is neither better nor worse per action done it comes down to convenience and if you want to spend the extra time it takes to level(early on level is better as its faster but later on it swaps around in time spend) and want a lazy move dirt once every x amount of seconds based on your max weight minus gear divided by 20 equals total dirt times 4 or do you want a "move dirt from inventory/pile into container every action queue that is done" kinda style

So end result depending on how you want to play a more active or more relaxed style of play would be better neither of the 2 give an innate more skill then the other from the get go

In the past there have been documents that have been released that show tables and calculators out there that can simulate your skill gain insanely accurately up to a range of actions needed to reach a certain skill level based on all the factors you would have like skill level in parent and sub skill(digging and shovel) ql of tool tile type sb meditation path affinity meal and so on some might still be on the forums here in older topics some have been deleted over the years because "they take the mystery of wurm away" or lead to skill gain overhauls on certain skills but if you want im sure it can be found still somewhere around here on the forums a link to a fun clue hunt with the end result to a zip file(dont worry it doesnt contain a virus or else it would have been deleted of the forums long ago) that has all the data in it for you to figure out how wurm calculates its skill gain for any skill if you invest some time into reading into it and trying it out

Is no one thinking about all the awesome affinities a dig action can give?

Ive gotten digging affinity from leveling, but never from digging. How wierd isnt that?

Edited by Nordlys

@NordlysWhy weird? Documentation says you can gain an affinity at any skill check. @wipeout Game mechanics change, these calculators may no longer be accurate, and indeed they take some fun out of the game. Different game plays are good things. 

Edited by Platyna

1 hour ago, Platyna said:

@NordlysWhy weird? Documentation says you can gain an affinity at any skill check. @wipeout Game mechanics change, these calculators may no longer be accurate, and indeed they take some fun out of the game. Different game plays are good things. 

Skill gains havent changed since they where created sure the notion of game mechanic changes happens but core game features like that generally do not change that often if at all
There was a post made at one point about how crazy complex skill calculation is and looking at the wu code in particular its a complex beast

As for affinities yes they roll on every skill check but there are some requirements before they happen and level does lead to a steady action speed(4 seconds every action vs random actions) i got mine from leveling too where as my alt got his 2 from digging clay for days on end but again affinities are a silly system in the way of how you obtain them anyway

3 hours ago, Platyna said:

Game mechanics change

I think you've forgotten what game you're playing.

There is always a trade off between skill gain and speed. If you want to max speed, then you will always get pretty much no skill gain. Looking at the data in the initial post, I would say that even though levelling gives more skill gain, the difference is negligible considering that you could complete 100k actions and your skill will hardly go up at all. If you were to switch to, let’s say a 70ql shovel, My prediction would be that you will see much better gains with digging with a slightly slower speed. So the optimal strategy would be to put your shovel at a ql where your timer is as slow as you are willing to go. You would be surprised how much your skill will go up after 100k actions if you are getting skill ticks reasonably often with a decent ql shovel that has coc on it.

4 hours ago, Delacroix said:

I think you've forgotten what game you're playing.

@DelacroixI would prefer if you ceased to post such comments, they bring basically no useful input to the matter we discuss here.

@McGarnicleWhile I do agree there is a trade off, I think you go a little overboard by saying "no skill gain", since I started playing my whole digging was optimized to get results fast, and I got a decent  level, which wouldn't be possible with "no skill gain". But we are now quite a bit off-topic. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Platyna said:

I would prefer if you ceased to post such comments, they bring basically no useful input to the matter we discuss here.

I mean, you're clearly not taking what anybody is saying seriously. By that token, nothing anybody is posting here could be considered 'useful input.'

• Like 1

you are right...it isn’t no skill gain, but at that rate, 100k actions will give you 1.7skill whereas you could easily be at 99.9 skill if you do some adjustments to the setup. It does matter what your goal is. If skill is not important, then go for speed. I’ve done many projects where I’ve optimized for speed, but I would never then be looking at how much skill I would get from it since I knew it would be negligible. I do grind skills as well but will always do so with an additional purpose, for example, to get digging I would use a low ql shovel with high coc and dig clay and then use that clay to make mortar for the house I’m building. Skill goes up rather quickly this way so than when I needed to dig that 100k action hole in the ground for the labyrinth, my skill was there to support the speed.

• Like 2