Sign in to follow this  
Whane

I've never seen a wild white horse

I have two white horses but someone else bred them and I have never seen a wild white horse (on Xan). Can they only be obtained through breeding?

Colored horses will spawn in the wild but they are rare. They are even more rare given that wild horses spawn less often on a settled server.  This makes breeding horse colors a much more reliable way to obtain one. Grey is extremely common, probably 95% or more of wild horses are grey. You will actually see them more often than that as colored ones will be spotted and grabbed by passersby while leaving grey ones behind.

White gold black brown are 'uncommon'. There is slightly different odds for each color, I tend to see brown and gold a little more than black and white. They will be a little more seen on the new upcoming server, until players collect them all (colored horses are rounded up and grabbed first) .  Bloodbay, Skewbald, Piebald, Ebony Jet, Buckskin, Chestnut, Appaloosa, Black-Silver are even more  rare, but all can spawn in the wild. However the chance of finding these wild on Freedom isles is extremely rare.

All the colors shown below, any can spawn wild but the odds get very progressively tiny for rarer colors and older servers, especially if other players pass through the same areas:

516px-Horse_colors.jpg

I have been able to find all of them wild on freshly created WU servers, but they disappear fairly fast as exploring players are quick to grab up any colored horses, and especially rarer colors.

EDIT, this is some information people were able to find in the WU code on the chances of randomly breeding a color from two grey parents, it may be a similar odds for randomly spawning wild:

FAWKES: It's sort of weird. Initially, there is only a 10% chance that the offspring will be a different color than the parents. Once this roll succeeds, the game does a separate roll for each color, in the following order: brown (33% chance), gold (33%), black (33%), white (33%), piebald pinto (16.7%), blood bay (8.3%),  and finally ebony black (4.2%). Once again, these rolls are done in order and it stops at the first successful roll. So in order to get ebony black, for example, you would have to fail all of the rolls before it and then succeed on ebony's 4.2% roll. So every time you breed a horse, the effective chances become: no change (91%), brown (3.3%), gold (2.2%), black (1.5%), white (1%), piebald (0.3%), blood bay (0.1%), ebony black (0.06%).

If random spawns of wilds work on a similar system, you can see that white horses are actually fairly uncommon since rolls for other common colors are done first.

This does not even include the five newest horse colors, or whether devs "tweaked" the probabilities on colors once they expanded the number of colored horses. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Yes I've seen most breeds in the wilds and and I have a gold buckskin, appaloosa, and silver that I caught from the wilds recently (Xan). There are only two that I've never seen in the wild and that is the white and ebony. I know the greys are most prominent and I cull them whenever I see them to see if something more interesting will spawn in its place. This works better when I go on a killing spree to kill everything wild within an area. It seems to me that the greys and whites are the least popular so I just found it odd that in all this time I've never seen a white wild horse spawn in the wild especially given how it is predominantly viewed as a rather common horse... unless maybe they are hiding within herds of unicorns. I even checked 3 independent horse vendors near me and none of them sell white horses which seems to support the notion that they are not popular.

I would not say at all that white horses are unpopular.  Among the common colors I get more requests for white horses than for brown gold or grey, and possibly tied with black.  But many buyers want the rarer colors. Breeders may be less likely to keep a matched breeding pair of white horses if they are trying to build up their stock of rarer color horses -- you only have room for so many breeding pairs. And as Fawkes' numbers show above, white is the least likely of the common colors to be bred "spontaneously" (ie, neither parent was white.)

We frequently have wild white horses in our area (Vrock Landing/Lake Vrock). Recently I saw a wild piebald pinto in F22, that is much more seldom. Of course, most wild horses are grey, to my impression followed by brown, then the rest. Black (not ebony) and white not infrequent.

Edited by Ekcin