Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rudyszwedin

Steam server map please

Hey, Devs can we get a nice map dump before the launch of new server(s)? And if not the map dump, how about an in-game map picture? 

A map dump might be a bit much (could be used to find tar/ clay patches maybe) but yeah a in game map would be nice to figure a vague idea of where we'd want to be lol

HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA

I wish, they dont release maps on purpose, for the sake of EXPLORATION (and suffering) :P

Plus home made maps are pretty fun

• Like 5

Yes, please don't release a map dump until a while, we can make our own maps early on.  The only way we're going to have real wild areas early on is if we don't get a map.

• Like 1

But please make the map less mountainous than Xana.

We want to be able to ride to most places without the hill you are on suddenly becoming too steep.

Also friendly shores please. It was very disappointing looking for a nice coastal spot on any of the other servers to find that more than half the coast line has mountains right up to the water.

Id prefer no map dump either to start. I love trying to build my own map and cross reference it with other player made maps. Exploration is so much more fun in Wurm without map dumps.

• Like 6

On 7/8/2020 at 10:49 AM, griper said:

But please make the map less mountainous than Xana.

We want to be able to ride to most places without the hill you are on suddenly becoming too steep.

I don't know if I fully agree with this to be honest. Realistically you can't just cart up a mountain and some WU servers where you can cart up the mountains just bug me. I'm more for realism in that regard I guess. I want the landscape to have character above all else and I think mountains are a big part of that. Perhaps still a few less mountains than Xanadu could be good, but still I'd be disappointed if we didn't have some cool looking mountains.

That being said, I am for places with more friendly shores.

Edited by Lotus1
  • Like 3

I am happy to provide the Community Map service for the new Steam PvE Server

• Like 5

On 7/10/2020 at 1:54 PM, solmark said:

I am happy to provide the Community Map service for the new Steam PvE Server

Do you have some way of making the map?

6 hours ago, Hammer said:

Do you have some way of making the map?

It requires the map dump from the Devs, plus some work will need to be done transposing the map size, so not straight-forward

There wont be a map dump only a default ingame map 

5 minutes ago, atazs said:

There wont be a map dump only a default ingame map 

That's what I am asking for, an in game map file before the release so we can plan where we want to spawn/settle. Also I am curious of the terrain and how it's gonna look. 

Unsure on this, I feel like even if its an in game map it's still a little too close to the lines of metagaming...

People joining who have never played before are going to be completely clueless on "which spot is best".  We as players of Wurm previously, already have that knowledge even if we are to look at the ingame map. 

Patience is a virtue.   Log in on launch, Open up the map.  Spend a good 5 minutes examining it and that's all the time most of us will need to find a location that we might like.  Anything more might be taking away from the adventure.

Its honestly not even about the destination, its more or less about the journey of it all.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bartiluss said:

That's what I am asking for, an in game map file before the release so we can plan where we want to spawn/settle. Also I am curious of the terrain and how it's gonna look. 

thats the fun part with new server ...to try to find a great place without map and hopefully be happy when you see the map later on :)

• Like 2

Some find no map fun others find partial map fun and yet others find full blown map dump fun

For those who don't want a map just don't look at it when released after all you don't like it

For those who want partial map check in game map

For those who want map dump just use it when it drops

Its that simple really the arguments of "oh but my clay" are just silly it's first come first serve and even with map dumps there is still a lot of exploration left to do in all kinds of ways

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wipeout said:

Some find no map fun others find partial map fun and yet others find full blown map dump fun

For those who don't want a map just don't look at it when released after all you don't like it

For those who want partial map check in game map

For those who want map dump just use it when it drops

Its that simple really the arguments of "oh but my clay" are just silly it's first come first serve and even with map dumps there is still a lot of exploration left to do in all kinds of ways

And you can always make your own clay tile. Only did it once.. but it's perfectly possible.

1 minute ago, Taranis said:

And you can always make your own clay tile. Only did it once.. but it's perfectly possible.

Exactly and its not that hard sure early on in a server finding the fruits for it is hard but it is doable

No map dump can be a real deal breaker for any unexperienced new players that Steam will bring, especially with a brand new map.

map or not, I will deal with it vOv

4 hours ago, Baenre said:

No map dump can be a real deal breaker for any unexperienced new players that Steam will bring, especially with a brand new map.

map or not, I will deal with it vOv

Idk, seems rather that new players won't know that there were map dumps and that they will just have to accept it and find their own way without a map. A ingame map would certainly help, and I was actually excited when the ingame map matched the real map when I first played and didn't know/care about mapdumps so yeah, don't think it'll matter too much as long as we get an ingame map where the players can atleast somewhat orient themselves on to find starter deeds and so on

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blablagame said:

Idk, seems rather that new players won't know that there were map dumps and that they will just have to accept it and find their own way without a map. A ingame map would certainly help, and I was actually excited when the ingame map matched the real map when I first played and didn't know/care about mapdumps so yeah, don't think it'll matter too much as long as we get an ingame map where the players can atleast somewhat orient themselves on to find starter deeds and so on

I agree. Even if a noob knew where to access the map dump, I doubt they would have the knowledge to effectively use it. An experienced player will probably look for clay or tar pits, but a new player, if they even want to journey far from spawn, would probably just look for cool terrain features, which they can already do on the in-game map. The map dump could only be of benefit to experienced players, and would potentially be to the detriment of new players.

• Like 1

If someone does a community map, please make the map opt-out (like deli) not opt-in (like indy). The Indy map is near useless if your lost as only about 10% of the deeds are listed.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kelody said:

If someone does a community map, please make the map opt-out (like deli) not opt-in (like indy). The Indy map is near useless if your lost as only about 10% of the deeds are listed.

I'm sure someone will take on the challenge if there is a map dump. Opt-out vs Opt-in is really up to what the mappers are comfortable with. Do you like being automatically added to email and phone lists or would you prefer to opt-in to them. It's kinda the same thinking with the deeds on maps I believe.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SirMuttley said:

I'm sure someone will take on the challenge if there is a map dump. Opt-out vs Opt-in is really up to what the mappers are comfortable with. Do you like being automatically added to email and phone lists or would you prefer to opt-in to them. It's kinda the same thinking with the deeds on maps I believe.

Your phone number won't help a robocaller if they are lost. Many deeds on a map can help a lot of players that are lost. Even when not lost, traveling by boat would be much more reassuring if you could check off deeds as you pass them, rather than passing anonymous deed after anonymous deed not exactly sure how far away you are.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2020 at 7:56 PM, Kelody said:

Opt-In was what was requested back the very beginning of the Indy Community Map some 10 plus years ago.

This was done to protect peoples right to privacy if they wished to remain anonymous.

Opt-Out violates peoples right to privacy by revealing where they are even if they do not want to be found.

So it is privacy reasons that the Albia Roads Map of Indy continues to this day what Darkmalice implemented back in the beginning, which respects the right to privacy of those who do not wish to be put on the Community map.

Skyefox will also answer shortly, because your statement that only 10% of all deeds on Indy are on the Albia Roads Map is absurdly Inaccurate.

Kindest regards,

Hughmongus

Cartographer of Indy

Co-Administrator - The Albia Roads Map of Indy

(Note: not Deeds map of Indy)

Edited by HughMongus
grammer
  • Like 3

On 7/24/2020 at 7:56 PM, Kelody said:

Hi Kelody,

I'm sorry you feel that way about the Albia roads map of Independence, however, I feel obliged to correct you on your statistics.

The Albia Map database of Indy encompasses the years 2013 to 2020 inclusive.

Of the 559 deeds that are currently active on Independence (according to our records based on the Twitter feed) there are as follows:

199 deeds who's mayors have requested that they be put on the map.

That is 35% of all deeds.

Of these 199..
78 of those 199 deeds are coastal deeds (including inland waterways).
15 of the on map deeds have very limited or no road access to them.
106 remaining are all inland deeds accessible by road or hwy.

Of the remaining 360 "off map" deeds..

The 186 deeds that we have discovered during our mapping expeditions have been left "off map" to abide by wishes of mayors to not be listed and to conserve the privacy of those who we have had no contact with.

That is another 33% of all deeds.

Approximately 108 of these "off map" deeds not listed on the map are coastal deeds (including inland waterways).

36 of these are way off the beaten track and require an inquisitive mind to locate.

That leaves 174 deeds (approximately) that we have not located and which may at some point have gone through a name change (not recorded in Twitter history) and have since been disbanded.

That is 31% of all deeds ignoring those who have name changed and been disbanded.

So . . . . in fact there are 35% of all active deeds shown on the Indy map.

Regards,

Skyefox, Mayor Albia Estates

Co-cartographer of the Albia Roads Map of Indy

(Note: not Deeds map of Indy)

Edited by skyefox
Grammar and formatting
  • Like 6