Samool

New UI Public Testing

Been quiet in here for a while now.

Recently I saw a streamer using the old UI again, as well as playing some Wurm Unlimited and experiencing it for myself as well. I've been using the new UI since July now, mostly because I was playing on my laptop while living on the road. I liked scaling the UI larger because I couldn't be very close to a large screen like I'm able at home, and I'm old, and my eyes are not what they used to be.

For about a week now, I've reverted back to using the old UI and I have to agree now, that I actually prefer the old UI. Now you can't say that I haven't tried it, because I have exclusively played with it for the past couple of months.

I just seem to prefer the small and crisp look of the old UI. I'm opening container windows and they're just so unbelievably large from using the new UI, and that's on the PC side on the smallest UI scale possible. Everything just feels so much nicer and more fitting and it's absolutely feels proper for a PC game. The new UI is almost cartoonishly large and clunky in every aspect, and feels like a reskin.

Pro and con of the new tool tips for example as well, they show more information and thus hide more stuff behind it, that I actually would like to be able to see rather than the additional information.

My conclusion: I'm sorry to say that I think taking the old UI away is a step backwards from a better client. The wealth of interaction and the freedom of our inventory system is too great to put on a controller with 6 buttons, so that it's more "streamlined" or "modern" (cynic tongues would say "dumbed down" for appeal).

Edited by Ulviirala
  • Like 1

I started to use new UI for a moment and while font is not that bad as it used to be, it still doesn't match in size, readability or look to the old one, so I think the old font should come back, windows decorations and their titles are also still too big. Here how it looks (90% scaling, resolution 1920x1080):

qC5LpGo.png

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 1

option or setting to opt-out from the blinking buttons, they are really distracting.. normally we don't need to check every update in event/friends/tickets/skills/combat logs, nor all chat tabs for that matter - yet they all blink constantly

ui still misses option to quick keybind examine or activate actions in new ui

new ui still misses any indication how many actions the player have queued currently (example: improve, repair, improve, repair 4/10 ueued, 6 more actions available to queue for 90ML player), no UI tracks this

UI option to repair all or show gear that's starting to get 5damage or above that? (same for currently used tools?)

option to repair all equipped armor+weapons

• Like 1

new ui still shows same SB bar for 5hours and no ui indication when the timer is above 5h, beside the numbers.. but the visual bar is tied only to 5h alone

searching in crate racks requires expanding of all crates to work, opening the crate rack alone and using the search does nothing(?; nothing visible at least)

to use the feature.. the crate rack have to be opened, the option to expand-all have to be used and than to use the search bar to filter elements; might be intended but looking through tens of these gets annoying

--edit

same functionality appears to be used for bulk container unit(the 4x bsb container)

Edited by Finnn

yeah its more work to use the new ui since the new borders and tooltips almost always require you to make windows larger with containers that werent and issue before. Look screen realistate in a game that requires the amount of windows in it that are a MANDATORY REQUIREMENT for things like cooking, alchemy and any other container juggling like smithing its a huge step back I want to be able to see the game I am playing instead of just a click menu simulator. If I remember right that was 90% of why the new ui was implemented. to tone down the amount of visual noise from having to right click through so many menu's and to help get our eyes off the event tab. please set it so elements remember the size you change it to for the management windows esp. 90% of the struggle with helping new players in the village when they have animals or buildings to manage esp  is explaining they really really need to expand the window because the information in it doesnt scale down to fit like it does for almost every other element. having to change it every time to find cared for and tame in a large village with lots of animals is a hassle. Most of the time they dont get it and I resort to logging into the new ui long enough to give them a screen shot tutorial then I relog back to the old. ( I can live with this as I am already living with it on the old ui. its just more screen realistate gone.) implementing options instead of taking them away would be ideal please. its not like we dont have a ton of profile options as it is the more you dumb things down the more complicated and messy things get. I have no idea why you are so determined to make this as user unfriendly as possible by taking away options that work. this isnt a case of " it's new there for I hate it". this is a " this is functionally more work , clunkier and more visual strain then what came before".

we have already talked the feedback to death on the new ui. the change in scaling and font is nice but those tabs are obnoxious and I dont understand why you are so married to making them sit there and pulse without giving us an option to disable it.

I honestly couldn't care less about the new features in the new ui I already live without them I am glad other people get the options that come with it however. I am more then willing to continue to live without them in order to continue to use the old ui. I have stated that before multiple times.this is a personal choice I am willing to make. The old ui even with out the current quality of life improvements feels more streamlined then what is going on with the new one for me. I dont like feeling like I am playing a bad phone game port of the original game. The menu's and tooltips constantly getting in the way of each other. Th windows need to be expanded to max just to see everything thats going on in a container making it next to impossible to have multiple open. def learning to appreciate the griping tablet users have over windows not fitting the screen or elements getting in the way under their fingers when trying to select things in other games. that's how the new ui feels to me. I do appreciate the new scaling but that still doesn't solve the fact that the BORDERS of the windows are what is taking up way to much room.

the flashing tabs is literally the one hard pass that will keep me from using this ui the rest I can work around. so once it goes live because I would need to disable the chat window to get away from it. Except even when we disable the window it comes back as soon as someone types so there is another hard pass the features you already have in the game are not working if disable an element it needs to stay disabled. and given this is a MMO and I like talking to my village and alliance once the old ui is gone I am gone sorry it has been fun and its a great game however you are just taking parts of it in directions I cant follow.

The chat tabs has been an ongoing request to be opt in or opt out and it has been constantly ignored I dont expect it to change at this point. We gave you feedback when you asked us last time. if its to much work to implement because the code is a mess of spaghetti noodles please just say so at this point.

Thanks for the experience. I wish you good fortune with the future of the game and I hope more people like the new ui then hate it. I'll be on farming for the village till the premium runs out or the old ui gets disabled whichever comes first.

Thanks all and take care folks.

edit

something I would like to point out: things that have been done for accesibilty and for health and ease of use some that changed for the new ui specifically.

I want to replace the portion of the new ui that causes migraines for me consistently when I use it.

this would be the flashing/pulsing chat tabs. Is it bannable to find the location of that file and replace it with something that does not effect my health in a way that is literally crippling or do I just need to uninstall now that the old ui is being removed soon.I am literally one of the people that the seizure warnings on movies and games are for, that most of the rest of the world rolls their eyes at or thinks doesn't exist.. I would appreciate not getting banned for changing this into something that will not consistently give me a migraine with in an hours play time with the new ui. it has happened every time I have not had the chat window covered by an inventory window or hot bar. while this work around works I am not paying a monthly fee to play this game without being able to interact with the multiplayer portion of mmo.

so I repeat please tell me I can change the ui graphic on the client side without getting banned if you continue to refuse to give and opt in/ opt out toggle. if I cant edit these files than this is also information I need thank you.

things that they have implemented to the game to help people that need exceptions from various elements of the game for their health.

disable option headbob

adjustable partical effects

Phobia mode.

field of view

cave and shadow detail

these next ones are prob more for performance but also work from a visual disability stand point.

disable option for sun glare

adjustable weather effects and reflections and shadows

https://prnt.sc/1072jp9

options to change color light/dark for visually impaired/sensitive individuals

https://prnt.sc/1072559

ui scaling

font/text scaling

this entire section of being able to set chat colors ( helps colorblind/visually impared people)

https://prnt.sc/10727mc

https://prnt.sc/10727yy

Please give me and other people a optional toggle for the pulsing tabs. disabling and covering up chat is not a reasonable solution for this.

Help.

Edited by Yserin
additinal information.

QwNYhWD.gif

Pretty annoying, please fix?

120% UI render scale

110% text scale

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 8:44 PM, SmeJack said:

closing the irc server tab closes the entire chat window

reposting for next run through of changes

8 hours ago, SmeJack said:

reposting for next run through of changes

I've had this happen as well. It's not every time, but it does happen and is quite annoying.