Sign in to follow this  
Samool

New UI Public Testing

Here are my initial suggestions after spending a day with the new UI:

1) I would love to be able to change the font of the text. Unfortunately, the current text gives me headaches if I read too much. Being able to change the font to the old fonts at the very least would be nice.

That being said, speaking from someone who does UI occasionally, here are my other suggestions:

2) While I understand wanting a "fresh look", I feel the "tabs" on top of different sections are too big. The immediate focus of the eyes goes to the title of the tab and keeps "asking for" the focus to remain on the tab titles and not the actual important information the user should be reading. I recommend either lowering the font size of the titles and/or making the colour of the titles less pronounced. If I'm looking at the skills section, I don't want my eyes to keep wanting to bounce towards the title. I want to read my skills. There's going to be a lot of eye strain with it's current setup.

3) On the same subject of titles. The title of my name in the top corner looks out of place from the rest of the GUI. It should at least be the same as the other titles in my opinion in order to provide consistency. As it stands it sticks out like a sore thumb.

4) In places like the friendslist, I recommend having a divider between the actions (ie. "Blahblah leaves the world") and the actual names and online status. It seems off at the moment. (albeit it sort of gets fixed when the scroll bar comes into view, so perhaps have something where the scroll bar shows up before the scroll bar actually shows up)

I'll probably have more suggestions over time. The UI's not bad, but it's cluttered and I think that's the biggest problem with it. It's not as user friendly as the old UI due to the fact that you have the wrong items in the UI highlighted, which I think will confuse the user as their eyes dart around all over the place (while the user won't know what's wrong, they'll just know something is wrong). I'll give my eyes more time to adjust as I'm sure I have bias due to the old UI, but that's my opinion so far.

Edited by Lotus1

Messing with the "Key Bindings > All" tab on Settings, breaks the UI.

pCX9Pm6.png

Edited by Lucas

Nono.jpg

Please, if that is one window now without possibility to separate like we had, can you at least make it so the  "hook" of the window (that square with the horse pic) can be changeable right or left? i mean with this default and the only set up this tab only fits top right corner, as everywhere else when the combat window opens it blocks too much of the screen. Also the combat UI size is inadequately BIG 

Edited by Skatyna
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Skatyna said:

Nono.jpg

Please, if that is one window now without possibility to separate like we had, can you at least make it so the  "hook" of the window (that square with the horse pic) can be changeable right or left? i mean with this default and the only set up this tab only fits top right corner, as everywhere else when the combat window opens it blocks too much of the screen. Also the combat UI size is inadequately BIG 

You can separate it.

20b432d3806472a71b6c2b7957a3fba6.png

QL level doesn't account for 100QL items. There doesn't appear there to be a way to show "100", just "00".

34f7c331c69c15347411db74a3a76f2a.png

Not sure if this has been posted. Tabs seem to not stack themselves correctly.

2 hours ago, Lotus1 said:

20b432d3806472a71b6c2b7957a3fba6.png

QL level doesn't account for 100QL items. There doesn't appear there to be a way to show "100", just "00".

Try changing UI scale to 110%

Edited by Lucas

What I have to object is the size of the on top interface bar replacing the F keys bar. Though it is quite pretty and useful, it is simply too fat. It obstructs the toolbelt on my screen (I have a ten slot toolbelt, while my alts have seven slot ones) and makes it unaccessible. The buffs like affinities, deity influence, shoulder pat, and meditation path buff are overlaid too.

The interface bar should be made scalable. Having less tabs than the F keys bar there is no reason why it is so much fatter.

@Samoolsomething i wanted to share with you and others

Over the last few days its been a hell of a lot easier doing what i normally do in wurm thanks to the 2 new keybinds while playing on my phone
Now you might go what wurm on phone? and yes via steam link after adding wurm launcher to steam library and setting up a the proper keybinds to proper buttons

Before if i wanted to do certain actions i had to load specific keybind text files due to limited button space on either my phone's screen or my controllerwhich also meant i either brought my keyboard and mouse to the living room to play on the tv vs controller) where as now all i need to do is double tap the screen(when using phone) for right click menu do the action ones and then press the button that is bound for repeat making doing the same task so much easier and makes being able to game on the go a lot easier to or while at a place where i got fast wifi but no access to my pc

Sure there are some downsides especially if you are gaming away from the same network/not using 5g/wifi signal sucks in general in your home then the game can be choppy and experience stutters so unless you can run a stable connection i do not advice to go out hunting or pvp but for doing stuff around your deed like farming tending animals smithing and so on it has become a hell of a lot easier to do that with a controller

Now i get this will never be properly supported but with wurm coming to steam i will be releasing my controller config and a simple guide for people to set their wurm up for controllers and mobile phones
Here is a sneak of my phone setup which is just a simple wasd and the 2 new keybinds and take and drop which is all that is really needed and all that can be really done on a phone anyway without leading to "multiple actions at set layers" macro style that goes into the grey area of is it allowed or not and thus i will not even go into(action layers are able to do some really complex key combinations for example)

For settings
mlellw3.png
And how it looks ingame in a mine for example
Screenshot_2020-07-09-16-33-00-072456685

Now it is surprisingly easy to move around with a touch screen in wurm and even the old ui worked decently well with a phone or controller but that new addition just makes it so much easier to use no need for really using the keyboard at all unless typing to people or typing in numbers to drag around no fancy steam related keybinds or anything like that just wasd and rftg and most of the game can be done
I for one am looking forward now even more to the steam client release as then i can just lay back use my steam controller(or xbox or ps4) with a proper made config that can have multiple layers of keybinds to switch between depending on the task i do(and ingame keybind switch as well) that is saved to steam cloud and can be shared with others vs saved to my controller only

So in the end wurm on a controller/mobile? it works good rate it a 9/10

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, wipeout said:

@Samoolsomething i wanted to share with you and others

Over the last few days its been a hell of a lot easier doing what i normally do in wurm thanks to the 2 new keybinds while playing on my phone
Now you might go what wurm on phone? and yes via steam link after adding wurm launcher to steam library and setting up a the proper keybinds to proper buttons

Before if i wanted to do certain actions i had to load specific keybind text files due to limited button space on either my phone's screen or my controllerwhich also meant i either brought my keyboard and mouse to the living room to play on the tv vs controller) where as now all i need to do is double tap the screen(when using phone) for right click menu do the action ones and then press the button that is bound for repeat making doing the same task so much easier and makes being able to game on the go a lot easier to or while at a place where i got fast wifi but no access to my pc

Sure there are some downsides especially if you are gaming away from the same network/not using 5g/wifi signal sucks in general in your home then the game can be choppy and experience stutters so unless you can run a stable connection i do not advice to go out hunting or pvp but for doing stuff around your deed like farming tending animals smithing and so on it has become a hell of a lot easier to do that with a controller

Now i get this will never be properly supported but with wurm coming to steam i will be releasing my controller config and a simple guide for people to set their wurm up for controllers and mobile phones
Here is a sneak of my phone setup which is just a simple wasd and the 2 new keybinds and take and drop which is all that is really needed and all that can be really done on a phone anyway without leading to "multiple actions at set layers" macro style that goes into the grey area of is it allowed or not and thus i will not even go into(action layers are able to do some really complex key combinations for example)

For settings
mlellw3.png
And how it looks ingame in a mine for example
Screenshot_2020-07-09-16-33-00-072456685

Now it is surprisingly easy to move around with a touch screen in wurm and even the old ui worked decently well with a phone or controller but that new addition just makes it so much easier to use no need for really using the keyboard at all unless typing to people or typing in numbers to drag around no fancy steam related keybinds or anything like that just wasd and rftg and most of the game can be done
I for one am looking forward now even more to the steam client release as then i can just lay back use my steam controller(or xbox or ps4) with a proper made config that can have multiple layers of keybinds to switch between depending on the task i do(and ingame keybind switch as well) that is saved to steam cloud and can be shared with others vs saved to my controller only

So in the end wurm on a controller/mobile? it works good rate it a 9/10

I've been actually playing with the steam link app for a few months now it plays suprising well. The new binds surely seems to make it A LOT better. Didn't even think about having the binds until I saw your post gave it a try. Very nice to play when I want to be antisocial a families or meetings that could have been emails.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ekcin said:

What I have to object is the size of the on top interface bar replacing the F keys bar. Though it is quite pretty and useful, it is simply too fat. It obstructs the toolbelt on my screen (I have a ten slot toolbelt, while my alts have seven slot ones) and makes it unaccessible. The buffs like affinities, deity influence, shoulder pat, and meditation path buff are overlaid too.

The interface bar should be made scalable. Having less tabs than the F keys bar there is no reason why it is so much fatter.

Its not meant to replace the F key bar, its a replacement of the menu. You can toggle the F key bar in the settings. :)

I must be completely stupid or something, because I'm not seeing any option at all to change which client I'm using via the launcher =/

tiUlLkD.png

Edited by Fablecrafter
Add Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Fablecrafter said:

I must be completely stupid or something, because I'm not seeing any option at all to change which client I'm using via the launcher =/

Reveal hidden contents

tiUlLkD.png

Windows: You can access the UI Preview client using the “Choose client” shortcut of the Wurm Online launcher and selecting “Live Preview”.
If you can’t find such a shortcut installed already, you can reinstall the launcher using the installer available on our website at https://www.wurmonline.com/wurm-online-downloads/

Mac: The client selection dialogue can be found by holding down CMD while starting the launcher, select "Live Preview"

Linux: Start the launcher with a -c argument to show the client selection dialogue, select "Live Preview"

Hope you get it to work .)

closing the irc server tab closes the entire chat window

Could we please take this time to address the status effects, we don't need a constant reminder of all the permanent effects cluttering up half the screen. Please make the perm ones able to be hidden so that we don't have to search for relevant ones or make space on the screen for 4+ lines of them.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

Could we please take this time to address the status effects, we don't need a constant reminder of all the permanent effects cluttering up half the screen. Please make the perm ones able to be hidden so that we don't have to search for relevant ones or make space on the screen for 4+ lines of them.

Also show spell power when hovering over temporary buffs. 

its grape season .)

Im at my grape trellis atm

they are planted  1 of each side of a tile and with raspberry  bushes in middle of tile (hope you get the picture)

Anyway, now to my problem with new default keybinds

I started out with harvest and pick sprout and prune with no problem at all 

then suddenly  keybind F changed to pick up on trellis and i saw it too late so i picked it up .(

then i placed it out again

and as it didnt place it as it was before i had to use " Turn Clockwise" 

And then my problem started

Now I only get F Take and R turn clockwise on my trellis

Funny thing is that it aint really stuck since if i change to shovel i get F dig  :)

So why is it stuck when going back to sickle ?

EDIT:

Aftert a relog first to old  then back again to new  it have change so i get harvest on R and then picksprout and then prune but F still say take .

Ok since there isnt any use of prune it get stuck on keeping prune on R now 

EDIT AGAIN:

Was rdy with my grapetrellis so went down to ocean to drink, now i get R as drink

went to hops trellis  and only option is now F take. nothing at all on R it doesnt even show up. 

Edited by Maiya
  • Like 2

UI scaling doesn't properly scale some text boxes, for example personal merchant Price management.

100% or larger it looks ok, but at 90% only the item names get smaller, price boxes remain at 100%.

Resulting in very uneven rows.

12 hours ago, Maiya said:

Windows: You can access the UI Preview client using the “Choose client” shortcut of the Wurm Online launcher and selecting “Live Preview”.
If you can’t find such a shortcut installed already, you can reinstall the launcher using the installer available on our website at https://www.wurmonline.com/wurm-online-downloads/

Mac: The client selection dialogue can be found by holding down CMD while starting the launcher, select "Live Preview"

Linux: Start the launcher with a -c argument to show the client selection dialogue, select "Live Preview"

Hope you get it to work .)

Yup, read that, and as I showed with my screenshot, I have nowhere to choose the client from =/

When you install the launcher on Windows, it creates several desktop shortcuts.  Unless you un-check the option to create shortcuts, which is what I did because I don't like shortcuts on my desktop.  In that case, there's no way to launch the preview client unless you do one of two things:

1) Re-install the launcher again, make sure that option is checked, then use the shortcut named "Wurm Online [Choose client]"

2) Create a new shortcut from the WurmLauncher64.exe (or whichever one you installed), edit the shortcut to add " -c" after the filename in the Target box.

I kind of wish the shortcuts were automatically created in the install folder, especially if you un-check the option to create shortcuts during the install process.

When you run the launcher with the "-c" option you get the following prompt *before* the launcher loads up:

Chooser.png

Edited by Ricowan

26 minutes ago, Ricowan said:

When you install the launcher on Windows, it creates several desktop shortcuts.  Unless you un-check the option to create shortcuts, which is what I did because I don't like shortcuts on my desktop.  In that case, there's no way to launch the preview client unless you do one of two things:

1) Re-install the launcher again, make sure that option is checked, then use the shortcut named "Wurm Online [Choose client]"

2) Create a new shortcut from the WurmLauncher64.exe (or whichever one you installed), edit the shortcut to add " -c" after the filename in the Target box.

I kind of wish the shortcuts were automatically created in the install folder, especially if you un-check the option to create shortcuts during the install process.

When you run the launcher with the "-c" option you get the following prompt *before* the launcher loads up:

Chooser.png

Thanks, I'll give that a try, must've overlooked it entirely, course I did do it first thing in the morning before work, so probably half asleep

*EDIT* - Yup that was the case, ty ^^

Edited by Fablecrafter
  • Like 1

Dispelling an item does not clear the cast from its tooltip

After a bit of play with the new UI.... I still haven't figured out any sort of pattern or consistency to the R actions. 

Some activities get picked up for Repeat, both others don't at all. Some actions get picked up for Repeat, but then randomly disappear (not replaced by a new action). 

For example: 

I groom my hen. I now have R: Groom whenever I mouse over my hen. 
I mouse over my rooster. No F: action, no R: action. 
I groom my rooster. Still no F:action and no R: action. 
I groom my horses - no F or R actions. 

What makes my hen so darn special? 

When R correctly picks up the action that I am going to be primarily doing, it works like a dream.... just wish I had a better understanding of what makes "R" work. 

• Cat 1

Having built UI's in other games I have played, I was thinking about the things in this UI that bug me, and seem to be fairly minor changes which would allow it to be a lot tidier and less cluttered looking.

The main thing that I noticed when trying to arrange the UI elements is the inconsistency in the size and layout of the elements, which makes it difficult to lay them out neatly so as to minimize the amount of screen they occupy. I understand that some of these elements may need to be larger than others for various reasons, but with a little tweaking 4 of the main elements can be reconfigured to at least be a consistent length so that they could be "stacked" together.

Putting my money where my mouth is, I had a quick play with the elements and modified them graphically to show what I mean.

The quick bar and the select bar are already the same length, so I left them as they were, but then modified the health bar and the target bar so that they were the same length as them (well very roughly, I did this in about 30 minutes of playing)

One of the things about the health bar that has annoyed me at times is that the sailing speed icons drop down only when on a boat and thus it is often the case that when playing with how the screen is set up, you board a boat and realise that your layout needs to be tweaked to accommodate  this, so I repositioned them on the end so that when they appear, they don't displace screen room. 

The target bar has been one element that people have commented on most as being clunky as it is now, and that they wished that it could be tidied up, and that there was an option for it to toggle between a pop up and pop down mode, depending on how they want to use it. 

The other UI element that I find needlessly takes up a lot more room than it needs to is the toolbelt, and with a minor tweak to the buckle it can be made to stack in much more tidily.

The compass could really use a medium size option I think also.

The elements as I modified them, with select and quick bars included as is for comparison:

Pop down target window

2mX68JO.jpg 

Pop up target window

k35NUqE.jpg

Health bar

M4I0C6l.jpg

AVhgf2h.jpg

vLHHbdP.jpg

Slimmed belt (ideally a 10 slot belt would be 2x the length of  the health / target bar and fit neatly on top of them if they were stacked side by side as shown in spoiler shots when large, and the same length as them when at small size, lol)

EZolSug.jpg

Spoiler

Before:sPbcHxT.jpg

After

CABir7j.jpg

Anyway, that's my 2cp worth of suggestions :)

Edited by Delone
Typo's, clarification.
  • Like 4
  • Cat 1