Sign in to follow this  
Samool

New UI Public Testing

Suggestion:

Make the "Manage" Options from right clicking your body also available in the menu on the top, under Interface for example, and the Profile settings. This might help to erase some confusion of newer players how to get to permissions, etc. if they are not standing directly next to what they want to manage. Most people might not even think of right clicking your body.

I like the new UI design very much, but I agree with some of the comments here that some things take up too much space and could be more compact. (target window especially).

It would also be nice if we could be able to scale the writing of the Default Key and Repeat Action key, as they are faily large compared to the rest of the interface text.

f8fxokae.jpg

It might also look better if instead of having the tool display next to the mouse, the mouse instead changed into the selected tool. I also think this would feel less clunky.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

Small quirk with hover over is the window doesn't display what the rune is and for some reason has a power related to it

the weapon uses a steel rune while the pick uses a bronze rune

unknown.pngBspOOYE.png

Something that bothers me as well, is that the tooltips when hovering over items, do not display the custom name of the item, or the amount of the item in a bulk container.

For example, when the window is too small, and the name column can't display "satchel, cotton (my stuff)",  I wish the tooltip also said the full name instead of just "satchel" like the old one. Or in a bulk container, when it would say "plank, birchwood (1,550x)", I wish the tooltip would also say that. Because there's now no way to see the amount without resizing the window.

Another things I've noticed that I've relied on often is, when you drag & drop an item onto a container (e.g. BSB) that was named "cedarwood bulk storage bin (ql 50 - 59)", the old mouse-over tooltip also included the name of that, the new one doesn't at all.

• Like 2

Today testing with my main toon on a windowed preview client.

Doing some archaeology:

I have barrels full of satchels and each contains up to 100 fragments.

It's clear that the font size at 90% is still far too large for windowed use - When I open the barrel (I need at least 2 or 3 open at a time), the name of the barrel is displayed (good) but I can't see the names on the individual satchels without expanding the window(s) to quite a large size or opening each satchel.

It would be awesome if the font size could be smaller

It would be great if the player-given names of the containers were displayed on the tool tip hover text.  e.g. "Satchel (Sorting)" or "Small Chest (Caches)" [edit - just read Ulviirala's post above after posting, and I agree]

With 2 barrels open there is no way I can see my skill tracker anymore.

The scroll bar on the open barrel window appears and disappears when opening and closing satchels, this moves the text left and right in a jerky fashion - I open and close them a lot so this 'flickering' is very distracting.  It would be great to have the option to keep the scroll bar there all the time, even if the size of the window does not need it - this would keep the text still, so I can concentrate on what I'm doing.

The active chat channel tab (e.g Trade or Local)  is a different colour and raised up above the height of the other tabs, presumably to show it is active - this is good, but it looks a bit detached like something is wrong with it, perhaps there should not be a gap below it.

10AkEKP.jpg?1

The Event and Skills panel text does not continue to the bottom of the window, this leaves a gap.  It feels like wasted space, and makes me want to reduce Skills panel in size further.  I understand this might be reserved for system messages, but the gap feels wrong the rest of the time, it would be better to rack up the text when there's a system message rather than leave a permanent gap for the 99% of the time we don't have a system message.

The ESC menu at the top of the screen is very nice, but the old thin one was neater and used to fit above all my other windows, not over them.  I am using this menu a lot so it would be nice if it fitted in neatly on the screen.  The red arrow on the right of the Quit button is actually to hide the menu.  I thought perhaps that was what it was for(!) but I was SCARED to click it because it was attached to the QUIT button.  This is not the ideal place for it, and perhaps instead of an arrow a box with a red X might have been more intuitive - it also needs a mouse-over tool tip - what does this arrow do?

End of Archaeology Session for now

Edited by Muse
inserted picture of active chat tab
  • Cat 1

Some enchants like Corrosion are still missing from the item hover.

0TF6jnw.png

Also, dispelling an enchant from an item doesn't update the hover window.

I was very pleased to be able to turn off the interact F and R functions.  I don't think it has much use for vets with their own key-binds already set up.

I can understand why it is useful for new players who are at a loss to know what to do, but I will give this word of caution...

For new players it is very hard to discern what is an OPTION and what is a SUGGESTION or call to action - especially when this 'suggestion' appears in large text in the centre of the screen.

Be careful what you are 'suggesting' the new player to do.

As More told Cromwell in the film 'Anne of the Thousand Days':

'Don't tell the King what he can do. Tell him what he should do.'

Edited by Muse
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

If I ctrl+drag a pile of dirt into another pile of dirt, it leaves 2 dirts behind. I cannot ctrl drag either of the 2 leftover dirts and have to pick them up and put them in the other pile. Happened with multiple piles (tried it with stack of 3 and bigger stacks and always leaves 2). Maybe have it move the whole pile like transferring items between crates/etc.? Pretty useless if you can't move the whole thing in one go with the feature, but can by opening pile and dragging the stack of dirts.

Ctrl+dragging to wagon moves the entire stack of dirts.

Edited by LionIX

Chatting in Freedom, I really miss the up and down arrows on the old scroll bar - I am finding it really difficult to accurately move the scroll bar up and down using my laptop touch pad, and I am struggling to keep up with chat.  PLEASE can we have some up and down arrows at each end of  the scroll bar on chat windows?

Thanks! :) 

• Like 3

Price boxes for Set price are too dark / or numbers are invisible, as has been mentioned elsewhere.  Setting the price for the keys to my horse sales pens, I can't see the price I've entered unless I either highlight the whole box (e.g. coppers) or otherwise click Send and get the Event message telling me what price I set.

I've heard there is a bug in the new UI, rendering plate and scale armor as a black void on a character. I am experiencing the same thing with my painted chain-mail armor.

Edited by Thalius

Went to CoD items to someone and was unable to set the cod Price. when i clicked the X to close the window and retry it sent the items anyway.(no i didn't hit send, hit the X to close window)

• Like 3

Using re-sizeable window on 90% UI size.

Tailoring and imping CT:

The Cotton String and Wool Yarn icon that displays in the imping column has a black background and only shows the centre of the string image (not the whole cotton string / wool yarn image).

It looks like the image has not been resized properly to fit this mini icon display when on 90% size.

The cotton string image displays correctly when set to 100% UI size.

This icon is the same one used next to the hand when you drag some cotton string or wool yarn into a bsb.

Ropes, Mooring Ropes and Cordage icons are all displayed incorrectly in the same way, when dragged to and from inventory and bsb, although this is not as noticeable as the cotton and yarn when they are displayed continuously in the imping column.

Smithing:

I have noticed metal lumps also look 'squared' when dragged or displayed in the imping column, as though only the centre of the image is displayed - it seems to be another less-than-100%UI resizing issue.

Been playing around with it for an hour. Surprised I like it so much, so, hats off to the devs for this one! 

Only suggestion would be: Allow chat windows to be scaled separate from the other UI items.  I can imagine those with poorer vision would be frustrated with the inability to scale the text without making all the other UI elements larger too. That would quickly clutter a screen.

• Like 2

I noticed with the new ui that it randomly makes my chat windows just disappear all together while im in middle of a pvt chat or in village chat, and then reappears randomly after trying to reopen it numerous times. not sure whats going on there but figured id bring it up here.

also while using the new ui system I tried to manage my prices for my merchant items and it wont let me set prices, it keeps the options completely greyed out where I cant select them. this will be a really important fix as well.

ill keep testing it and seeing what else pops up that I notice, other then that I really like the ui system,

a suggestion I had was if there was a way to click the item to basicly hot link it to chat when trying to sell or trade it, that way people buying it can see the exact item for what it is without us screenshotting it or pasting a full examine item thread to them privately.

Edited by eldarian
  • Like 1

Vehicle names appear twice in the container headings when you open them

I know they did in the old UI as well, but it's a bit more obvious now with the much larger container headings:

upCMaA6.jpg?1

Perhaps this should read Sailboat [Winds of Destiny], or "Winds of Destiny" [Sailboat] - just some ideas.

Crafting Recipes box has the same problem as the Set prices box - invisible writing - you can only see what you have typed if you highlight the box:

DYhxVuY.jpg?1hr7CZrU.jpg?1

• Like 1

On the subject of the cursors a friend who can sadly no longer post here asked i forward his findings. It feels a bit like the "hand" symbol you get when dragging an item in inventory doesn't quite drop accurately. So we checked:

unknown.png

The red pixel indicates where the cursors think the item is, but because the middle of the drag (blue line) and the image of the object waaay above are not near it you'll find that dragging items in inventory always feels like it places it one spot lower than you intended.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shmeric said:

I feel that the target and fight boxes should form a more unified "whole piece" when docked to each other.

yxVQio0.png

With some quick photoshopping..

EeSd40d.png

Yes that looks much better, but the collapsible combat window needs to be smaller as a whole whether it is docked or not. In order to do this so that it looks nice when docked, the width of the target box needs to be decreased as well. When combined with your edits that would look like this: 

BLjIBnw.png

That would be a better dock as you pointed out taking up less space vertically, and take up less screen space horizontally, which then give players more options for where to place the combat window when undocked.

Edited by Whane
  • Like 2

Love the new UI but..

Could you add a setting that allows me to set a timer for when the new tooltips show up.

Like when I hover my mouse 5 seconds over an item the tooltip shows up, not directly.

All other mmorpg's have this setting as far as I know and it's needed for imping.

• Like 1

Noticed that when casting a new spell on something the hover tooltip immediately updates with the new spell. Good stuff. However when dispelling it does not remove the cast.

fjb8OWj.jpg?1

Overall, I love this new UI. 

Best feature: FILTER on inventories. 

Missing Functionality: Picnic Basket, straw doesn't open/expand correctly... 

ocQjXYx.png

You can right click open it... but you cannot hit the + and access the sub-compartments 

r5VPM4V.png

Request: Granular control over Font Size? It looks like all of the font size options are gone and replaced with UI SCALE only and it only goes down to 90... I use large TV's as monitors and the text is massive even at 90%

Edited by Trake

10 minutes ago, Trake said:

Missing Functionality: Picnic Basket, straw doesn't open/expand correctly... 

You can right click open it... but you cannot hit the + and access the sub-compartments 

Mine open just fine with +

looking again at your pictures ...you dont got a + on it you got a -

Edited by Maiya

I see there have been some fast updates already and that is helping.

• There needs to be two scaling options, one for windows, and one for text. I want to be able to read text without filling my screen with overly large windows. If this is impossible, then at the very least, there should be an option to set text size within the chat/event/etc windows independent of scaling.
  • There should be an option to disable tool tips for those of us that think they are just in the way.
  • I wish the combat window were smaller, both when collapsed and uncollapsed.

Just noticed SetPrice window on items doesn't show text.

Also the window is unnecessarily large, though I guess it's always been that way.

90% UI scale.

ZrlsNKE.png

Minimizing trade window renders columns over one another.

dTvRJFg.gif

Edited by Antony