Sign in to follow this  
Samool

New UI Public Testing

Oh I noticed that when  using an oven or a forge  it does not say the level of heat like warm, hot, searing glowing. That seems to be missing for me.

ok, just milked my animals and some more conclusions about repeat_action. once i milk one animal i should get milk in repeat action, right? in when i hower over animal that can be milked with bucket activated i should get R: milk ?

well from what i noticed that is the case only on sheep that is not hitched. For bisons and cows it doesnt work, neither for animals that are hitched to hitching post...

when satchel is filled with items(lockpicks/seeds/sprouts) and you move it to tool belt you cant activate it to have first item activated in it anymore like before

Edit: sorry actually you can but don't get visual representation of that on toolbelt any more

Edited by kochinac
  • Like 1

When I open my larder with a keybind all the containers are opened automatically.

Not a bad thing, but I doubt it's by design.

gb05ePp.gif

26 minutes ago, Antony said:

When I open my larder with a keybind all the containers are opened automatically.

Not a bad thing, but I doubt it's by design.

TBH it looked mostly as a bad thing to me. On larder it may be okay, but for any containers with subcontainers it opens the single subcontainers. That's not okay for my knarrs, for example, with lots of things and some lonely subcontainers, many times I dump things in a subcontainer exactly to hide it from view, and now it keeps showing up every re-open of the larger container. e.g. I have several large crates and one small crate, several satchels and one backpack, it always opens the small crate and the backpack. Why would I want that? It is easier to find things if I look a smaller list of subcontainers, and choose the subcontainer I need to open. There's no reason why I'd want more likely the small crate than a large crate, it's all up to what I actually intend to do, so the game would be better to not guess for the user here.

ec62cf15cddda7acaa3d8ddf82f2096f.png

This window is huge. Portrait is unnecessarily large. Probably could push items closer together.

• Like 1

I logged back to game, and picked a dozen sprouts. Now I go, hover on grass, with sprout activated, and I see: R: Pick sprout (repeat action). I have no F default action. I plant the sprout and activate another, same, rinse and repeat, it doesn't change the repeat action, even though "pick sprout" is impossible with a sprout, and is impossible on grass. (no, they weren't flowers tiles, they were plain grass)

Earlier: it's worth trying to use F and R during a session of pick sprout, cut tree, to see why it acts surprisingly a lot of the time. It acts oddly, and part of the reason is that it seems to insist in 1) showing you impossible actions, and 2) showing you 2 different actions for F and R. Like, if I have hatchet active, cutting trees several times before, then hover over an overaged tree, it says "F-cut down, R-pick sprout". But the R is wrong, can't pick with a hatchet, can't pick on overaged, didn't pick last several times. So it feels like there's no much reason why it's even in "repeat action". If in this case F and last action were cut down, why not just display F, R: cut down? That what I can do on this item, with this tool, and last did.

On the other hand, also after several cutting down actions, I hover over a tree with sprout, with hatchet, R-pick sprout attracts my attention, so I switch tool and press R to do it. Oops, it starts cutting the tree with the sickle. This is not user-friendly behavior. Lets say F changed with tool since okay, it's supposed to be entirely context dependent, but R: pick sprout is possible only if I change tool! Can't do it with the hatchet. So taking it away right when I do what I have to do is weird and not friendly. It is bound to cause more mistakes than mine (and Fo knows I have my share of cutting with the sickle without needing the game to switch actions under my feet :D )

TL;DR: I'm fascinated by default action / repeat action. But they don't work right, and so far I can't seem to detect a pattern in how R works. When does it changed repeated action? Surely not after each action, nor five. To be clear, I don't need to know the answer in theory, I want to see if/how a player can understand R to use it normally without calculating complex pattern math. :D

Edited by Anarres
  • Like 1

Possibly weird request but with the default bind can we have it where if a container is opened it changes to close or if we're on a vehicle it changes to disembark?

• Like 1

https://prnt.sc/tbexf1

If you use IRC I have discovered the transparent gaps in the upper and lower chat tabs are distracting. I think opaque like the rest would be a better choice inside there.

Edited by Evilvision

The minimum window size of opened containers is obnoxiously large. Before we could shrink them to whatever sized we wanted. Makes playing the game in a smaller window much more annoying.

50b2e339fe.png

• Like 4

Fight window does not show % for attack chance .

Chat and info windows way to blocky looking .

Going to repair a stack of items on the ground will pick them up if it finds one not damaged ..

Freedom part should be removed from chat label and only show , world or GL , no need for such a large space taken up .

Chat window can not be shrinked thickness wise to like only showing 2 lines of script/message .

Not sure if i should be using a keyboard or Joystick at the moment , seems like the new UI is setup more for console play ...

Hitting space to open chat and walking same time  has chance to setting ui to garble mess of letters .

Hope people have option to keep old ui insted of new one when steam launch hits .

Need a way to turn the health bar off over mobs at a distance or change color also for good or evil mobs ...

25 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Hope people have option to keep old ui insted of new one when steam launch hits .

A lot of issues with Repeat last action, not really knowing what it should do.

Cut down, Pick sprout all will not show up on a repeat action.

Level on ceiling was working great. Till I drank from a tile. Now when I mouse over the ceiling I get Drink for repeat last action even after I level a tile again.

got a crash walking through a gate to escape combat with a hell horse

Spoiler

[00:03:38] Unexpected crash while playing
[00:03:38] java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 1
[00:03:38]     at java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)
[00:03:38]     at class.sDWe6K5K4O.FZOk5L6Gfy(SourceFile:4597)
[00:03:38]     at class.sDWe6K5K4O.XwhlvVTrl(SourceFile:4612)
[00:03:38]     at class.TxZdjkcy3.mMV5oPkCW(SourceFile:691)
[00:03:38]     at class.TxZdjkcy3.FZOk5L6Gfy(SourceFile:9618)
[00:03:38]     at class.sDWe6K5K4O.FZOk5L6Gfy(SourceFile:1128)
[00:03:38]     at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClientBase.hzBVpzQFBz(SourceFile:12537)
[00:03:38]     at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClientBase.run(SourceFile:36320)
[00:03:38]     at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

10 hours ago, Figs said:

The minimum window size of opened containers is obnoxiously large. Before we could shrink them to whatever sized we wanted. Makes playing the game in a smaller window much more annoying.

50b2e339fe.png

This is more than a minor discomfort. There are workflows where a lot of BSBs are open (for example sorted by 10ql -> 9-10 bins), plus the inventory, the input container and the crafting window. That is quite impossible on a 1920x1080 either. Please allow to resize the windows down to 1 line height as it has been with the old GUI.

Also title font is extremely huge (would not be an issue if I could still change it but font size options are gone now).

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

Best feature is the searching.  Not a pain to look for skill level anymore and I like the filtering for inventory too.

Hope there will be a few theme options for new UI to chose from later on besides light/dark or have the ability to create a custom theme and changing fonts, colors, shapes of menus, etc.

Please add the heat level to the information window.  It's a pain to have to examine an item in a forge and read it's heat level in the event window.

• Like 4

The fight window is , as user said, obnoxiously large. Could halve the size by putting the range icon with the ag, normal etc icons, also get rid of the far, near etc pics and jsut leave the bars and you wont have the fight scene blocked - or at least make the window resizable pls

heat level to info window would be great as well. Make more of the windows resizable and the event and chat windows should be able to be much smaller....

I o like the design and colors of the new skin tho 😜

I do want more fonts available, I reduced mine to the 90% but tahts still a little large....

Edited by Rhianna
  • Like 1

Some critique.  And before I begin I would like to say the UI looks really lovely and we can all see what a lot of work has been put in. Thank you! :) 

I'm testing with my FTP alt which will have limited abilities.

Combat Panel: Could we have the option to reverse the combat window?  (Put the portrait on the right hand side of the health bar)

I like it that we can pop out the combat part and put it on the left of the screen, but I would also like it if when docked, the combat part drops down neatly against the left of the screen and stays neat and tidy.

Otherwise we've got a gap on the left of it, and lose a couple of cm of screen space.

The ranged icon does need to be a bow and arrow, I agree with others who made this comment., to me, the hand icon looks like a snooker referee about to polish a cue ball.

Mobs: I don't like the floating health bars over my animals (it's too action/console-game style for me) - I just want to see my animals and not their health status - can have the option to toggle these bars off please? Or put them at the top of the screen away from my horses.  Those green blobs are also unnecessary.  I don't need to see a floating health bar over my merchants or wagoners either, they never get injured, so - no need.

Inventory: Why do I have the word "common" after all my items - is that absolutely necessary?  Surely if everything that isn't rare+ is labelled 'common' there's no need to put it.   To me it's a bit of a negative word and distracting - I would leave that word out - and just leave that blank.  I can *see* it's not rare.

The F and R functions.  I personally don't need or want these, and I do hope I can turn this text off and keep my usual binds for these keys - but I DO also see why new players might need the F function/hint.  Good call.  Not sure about R Repeat. Can't we just hover over an item and press F again? lol

When leading I get the R option to lead the same horse again as has been mentioned before, confirmed, and when I stop leading her I get the R option to repeat the action to stop leading her again.

After I drink at the huge barrel of water, I mosey on over to look at the snowman who offers me the chance to "R:Drink" again - nice of him to offer.

As a new player I should not have the large "F:Open" option pop up in such an inviting way when I hover over the noisy beehive - that's just cruel.

As a new player I should not have the large "F:Embark" options open up on vehicles that are too difficult for me to drive - that's teasing and then frustrating.

On PvE, "F:Take" should not be the default option for meditation rugs, it should be "F:Meditate" surely?

When I sat on a bench - the F:Disembark was a good sensible option.

If I could make a general observation about the F function - nearly everything triggers the function "Take" - to me, it makes the game feel like a loot grabbing spree, even when I am on someone else's property everything suggested I should take it, I am not sure the game should feel this way on PvE.

Merchants: Looking at the items on my rares merchant, a lot of items have "Null" values, it looks like it could be linked to the special runes or casts on the items which aren't yet displayed correctly.

Chat boxes are too deep for me, as has been mentioned by others, I would like to make them thinner.

Overall the UI is very beautiful and THANK YOU THANK YOU for keeping (most of) the windows translucent.  I don't think I've mentioned this but for many years before finding Wurm, I wished and dreamt of playing a medieval game where you could see through the interface and keep 'in touch' with what's going on in the world behind, and was obviously overjoyed with the Interface in Wurm.  I find I am far better pleased by the windows that are semi-transparent than the ones that obscure. THANK YOU for retaining this translucency feature. 

Edited by Muse

Character sheet seems to only have the option for open or closed now, previously you could double click it to shrink it down to title bar size at the bottom of where it was if touching bottom of screen, this is no longer a thing.

Also now seems to be a good time to fix this:

7dK2z3a.png

The status section could afford to be less than half of that width so there's actually room to see peoples names rather than most being cut off

Edited by SmeJack

10 hours ago, paterso said:

So idk if maybe I'm missing something. I think the new scaling system is not working well with Windows DPI Scaling.
I tried overriding to tell the WurmLauncher64 that it can override and the application does scaling for itself (basically turning off DPI scaling from windows), and all my UI is still this weird blur of artefacts all over the text, giving it a strange look:
AfRo8GK.jpg

This is at 4K, the UI text just seems...off. Pixels smudged together, clearly some inaccuracies.
Edit: To clarify I set wurm's UI scale to 100% as you can see (I had restarted also to check), it made no difference. The UI is already way too big as it is, I don't want to up the scale. The game appears to use windows DPI scaling no matter what we set it to, and thus is giving me sub-native blur.

I'm not quite sure what the issue there is, other than the small imgur compression artifacts it looks fine to me. It should not care about the windows DPI scaling at all, even without disabling it for the game.

11 hours ago, NecroFizzle said:

I do like the new gui.  Please don't take my posts as complaints.  They are just feedback.

Just like the old client, the new client does not remember your zoom level upon logging back in.

What do you mean by zoom level? Third/first person?

We'll see what we can come up with regarding the visual and size issues, client update coming in a minute with a heap of bugfixes for issues reported here.

Preview client hotfix is out now, try it out!

Changelog:

Spoiler
  • Added an option to disable CTRL world item dragging
  • Added an option to hide the new creature healthbar overlay
  • Added detail (color values) to the item hover popup on dyes
  • Added a temperature string to the item hover popup
  • Item temperature icon was scaled up to be more visible
  • Minimum window size was tweaked to allow for single-line inventory window setups
  • Chat input text will no longer go behind the resize button when typing
  • Skill tracker text will again change color when the skill value changes
  • Subcontainers will no longer automatically open on viewing container's contents
  • Improved scaling of status bar icons
  • Fixed creation window list columns going out behind the creation window background
  • Fixed mission details opening when dragging mission bar panel around, it needs to be clicked without dragging instead
  • Fixed old main menu not updating the options when using modifier keys (ctrl, shift, alt)
  • Fixed mailbox checkboxes not being able to be checked
  • Fixed quickbar and select bar buttons being scaled incorrectly on non-default texture size settings
  • Fixed not being able to reopen floated chat tabs after closing them
  • Repeat action suggestion won't show when repeat action key is not bound
  • Fixed lock/unlock window options not showing on select bar when an object was selected
  • Fixed sailing control buttons not showing properly on certain healthbar setups
  • Fixed runes and imbues showing Null as their enchant preview text
  • Fixed a rare crash happening when hovering mouse over certain objects
  • Fixed friends list columns having odd sizing
  • Fixed freshly opened chat tabs sometimes not showing properly 
  • Fixed certain armor pieces not showing properly on character

• Like 8

On the zoom level, I am talking about 1st person and the different levels of 3rd person you can set with the plus and minus keys.