Sign in to follow this  
Samool

New UI Public Testing

Hi everyone!

After a few solid months spent on polishing the UI, I’m happy to say we’re at the point where we feel it’s almost ready to go, and as such we want to invite you to try it out. Below you can find a list of most of the additions and changes compared to the old interface.

Changelog:

Spoiler

• Settings have been moved to an in-game window from a pop-out one
  • UI can be scaled by an arbitrary number using the UI scale setting in the UI tab of the settings. This replaces the text size settings which used to not fit the interface graphics well on non-default values.
  • UI has two themes to choose from in the UI tab
  • Default action key has been added - bound to F by default (DEFAULT_ACTION), it suggests and puts behind a single keybind the preferred contextual action. The action set is basic at the moment and could use some more suggestions on the more common actions.
  • Repeat last action key has been added - bound to R by default (REPEAT_ACTION), it attempts to detect the context and suggests to repeat the last action you’ve done in a similar situation
    • U37xX0I.png

• Inventory and skill windows now have a filter/search field
  • Inventory now has category filtering buttons
  • New keybindings interface in the in-game settings window
  • Chats with player lists in them will now show the total amount of players (for example in Local)
  • Chat tabs can be floated, docked to other chat windows, and rearranged within the windows, by dragging them with your mouse
  • Interface buttons now play sounds when interacted with (optional)
  • Target window now has a no-target button when hovered over
  • Fight window is now by default embedded into the target window, but it can be undocked from there by a right-click option
  • Added new optional in-world creature healthbar overlay. At the moment it only shows the health bar, it'll be made to show more information during combat soon. The overlay shows on hover and on target creature.
  • Health bar shows only the basic information unless it’s hovered over or sleep bonus is active (this is optional and can be disabled with a right-click toggle on it)
  • New inventory items hover box, with more details such as enchants. Using Alt to show details will show the full enchant names as well as more precise quality and damage (up to 4 digits)
  • Added new startup screen with brand new screenshots (courtesy of Malena)
  • The options window (opened by ESC) has been moved to a new menu available on top of the screen, also toggled by pressing ESC
  • You can drag world items onto other world items or into UI elements by holding down CTRL and dragging your mouse from them to the target place
  • Constant context menu options (Examine, Find on Wurmpedia, Emotes) have been moved to their own buttons to make them more easily distinguishable as non-contextual
  • Text in Local will show over players heads in-world (optional)
  • Examine text will show over the examined object above it in-world. This may not work in certain cases still and we could use details on what objects don’t display it. (optional)
  • The new UI should no longer look pixelated on Apple Retina displays (Mac)

Hotfix 1, July 4th - changelog:

Spoiler
  • Added an option to disable CTRL world item dragging
  • Added an option to hide the new creature healthbar overlay
  • Added detail (color values) to the item hover popup on dyes
  • Added a temperature string to the item hover popup
  • Item temperature icon was scaled up to be more visible
  • Minimum window size was tweaked to allow for single-line inventory window setups
  • Chat input text will no longer go behind the resize button when typing
  • Skill tracker text will again change color when the skill value changes
  • Subcontainers will no longer automatically open on viewing container's contents
  • Improved scaling of status bar icons
  • Fixed creation window list columns going out behind the creation window background
  • Fixed mission details opening when dragging mission bar panel around, it needs to be clicked without dragging instead
  • Fixed old main menu not updating the options when using modifier keys (ctrl, shift, alt)
  • Fixed mailbox checkboxes not being able to be checked
  • Fixed quickbar and select bar buttons being scaled incorrectly on non-default texture size settings
  • Fixed not being able to reopen floated chat tabs after closing them
  • Repeat action suggestion won't show when repeat action key is not bound
  • Fixed lock/unlock window options not showing on select bar when an object was selected
  • Fixed sailing control buttons not showing properly on certain healthbar setups
  • Fixed runes and imbues showing Null as their enchant preview text
  • Fixed a rare crash happening when hovering mouse over certain objects
  • Fixed friends list columns having odd sizing
  • Fixed freshly opened chat tabs sometimes not showing properly 
  • Fixed certain armor pieces not showing properly on character

Hotfix 2, July 8th - changelog

Spoiler
  • Added a mouse sensitivity option to the settings - this option applies to both first and third person
  • Added an on-screen warning message about throwing items when enabling ranged mode
  • Added detailed item hover information to items in creation window
  • Added item description to the item tooltips
  • Added item weight to the item tooltips
  • Added bulk item amount to the item tooltips
  • Detailed item tooltips will no longer appear when dragging items, instead showing what they're being dragged into
  • Tweaked skill window minimum size
  • Changed font on healthbar text
  • Tweaked draggable area of windows
  • Fixed chat tabs appearing below the chat window's top border
  • Fixed world portal window showing up empty
  • Fixed off-center improve item icon
  • Fixed runes showing enchant value
  • Fixed small text/number input boxes not showing the contents properly and scrolling too early
  • Fixed map annotations appearing in other places than the cursor
  • Fixed /support command

Hotfix 3, July 22nd - changelog

Spoiler
  • Fixed creation window item list being cut off in certain situations
  • Fixed item hover weight text using incorrect coloring
  • Tweaked inventory column sizes to avoid cutting of high values
  • Tweaked toolbelt item selection area to be more forgiving
  • Fixed a startup crash on certain GPU configurations

Update, September 11th - changelog

Spoiler
  • New: Reintroduced missing functionality to the fight window – it should now properly show special moves, stance difficulty and stun status
  • New: ‘Filter’ Items has been added to the containers listed below. This is not available on the old UI.
    • Bulk storage bin
    • Food storage bin
    • Small crate
    • Large crate
    • Crate rack
    • Bulk container unit
  • Change: Fight window was reduced in size
  • Change: Chat tabs will glow now when they have new messages, to bring more attention to it
  • Change: Skill tracker background can now be toggled with a right-click option
  • Change: Inventory filter buttons will now glow if they are activated. They will also reset on reopening the inventory
  • Change: Width of QL and DMG inventory columns was decreased
  • Bugfix: Fixed “Repeat action” bind not recording actions in certain cases
  • Bugfix: Fixed misaligned input boxes in manage merchant screen
  • Bugfix: Reduced text size on small status effect icons
  • Bugfix: Fixed skill tracker options window appearing too small and requiring resizing

How to access the UI Preview client:

Spoiler

Windows: You can access the UI Preview client using the “Choose client” shortcut of the Wurm Online launcher and selecting “Live Preview”.
If you can’t find such a shortcut installed already, you can reinstall the launcher using the installer available on our website at https://www.wurmonline.com/wurm-online-downloads/

Mac: The client selection dialogue can be found by holding down CMD while starting the launcher, select "Live Preview"

Linux: Start the launcher with a -c argument to show the client selection dialogue, select "Live Preview"

We’re mostly looking for feedback regarding:

• Visual changes and the scaling functionality
  • New features
  • Default and repeat action keys and possible improvements to that
  • Any missing functionality from the old UI
  • Anything else that sticks out to you and affects daily gameplay

Once we’ve ensured there are no critical issues, this will be replacing the old UI client, so make sure you try it out before that happens!

• Like 7

Hi!

When choosing the preview client to test the new UI will the client remember my normal client keybinds or will start with default settings?

15 minutes ago, Cipacadrinho said:

When choosing the preview client to test the new UI will the client remember my normal client keybinds or will start with default settings?

Good question, I would not have thot of.

Hi, 

Will I still be able to log on through the old UI if I download and try out the new UI? Also will this work with my current charecter, or do I need to start a new one to try this out?

I don't have the Live - Preview option. I tried reinstalling the client (64 bit windows download) as mentioned and this changed nothing. I do have Test - Preview, but that just sends me to the test server?

Just now, Ecrir said:

I don't have the Live - Preview option. I tried reinstalling the client (64 bit windows download) as mentioned and this changed nothing. I do have Test - Preview, but that just sends me to the test server?

Still in the middle of the update to roll it out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keenan said:

Still in the middle of the update to roll it out.

Ah, that explains it, thanks.

25 minutes ago, Cipacadrinho said:

Hi!

Settings and keybinds carry over the different clients.

6 minutes ago, LynD said:

Hi, 

Will I still be able to log on through the old UI if I download and try out the new UI? Also will this work with my current charecter, or do I need to start a new one to try this out?

Yes, you can use the different clients interchangeably. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Samool said:

How to access the UI Preview client:

Hide contents

You can access the UI Preview client using the “Choose client” shortcut of the Wurm Online launcher and selecting “Live Preview”.
If you can’t find such a shortcut installed already, you can reinstall the launcher using the installer available on our website at https://www.wurmonline.com/wurm-online-downloads/

Probably worth reminding those running on macOS the "Choose client" dialog is shown by holding the `cmd` button while starting the launcher.

• Like 2

Repeat and Default issues:

activate rope, start leading a horse. Hovering on the horse now shows R: Lead (repeat)

hovering over another horse next to it shows nothing, and pressing R does nothing. Right click menu on it has Lead option, and this works.

Both horses have bridles.

After I unlead both horses, the Repeat action still only shows up on the first horse, not the other; even if I start and stop leading the other horse via right click.

When I embark the first horse as rider, the Repeat Lead on it still shows up; not on the other.

When riding it, F: Disembark shows when hovering over the horse, but does nothing. Disembarks only when hovered over ground and only 1 tile radius (using right click menu can disembark further)

Tame and Feed update the Repeat, but only on one horse again; no such option on other horse.

After I got Tame or Feed on Repeat key, Lead or Stop leading won't save there anymore..

Activate shovel, F: Default is now dig.

Dig one action, the Repeat action on horse disappears and is now Dig (no matter what is activated).

Leading a horse does not change Repeat action, it remains Dig.

Activate shovel, remove pavement. Repeat is now Remove pavement, even on sand tile.

Activate shovel, dig one sand. Repeat is.. nothing.

Still with shovel, right click and Investigate. Repeat now is Investigate.

Right click, Drink. Repeat is now Drink (even on tiles without water)

Right click, Investigate. Repeat is still Drink.

This feels very messy :(

Question: is it possible to customize the Default keybind (for example, instead of Open on a barrel it would Take)

Edited by Shmeric
  • Like 1

Current font looks so thick and big, even at the UI scale set to minimum, my resolution is 1920x1080 and the text windows take so much space to even see 5 lines of text. If you consider allowing the scale to 50% it would be great, same as possibility to keep the old skin, it was very nice one. 

3 minutes ago, Platyna said:

same as possibility to keep the old skin

Due to the major overhaul needed, it isn't possible to keep the old skin.

• Like 1

This is the most awesome game i have ever played in my 32 years of life. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Godrobotswife said:

This is the most awesome game i have ever played in my 32 years of life. 

This is true ^_^

The game will not launch for me. it would not show the live option so I downloaded the link to re install and  now it is just showing the small splash screen and then does nothing.

Ok did the wrong system went back download the 64  and it launched but still no live ...

Edited by RavenLure

16 minutes ago, Keenan said:

Due to the major overhaul needed, it isn't possible to keep the old skin.

Too bad, the ironwood skin was so beautiful and sleek. Current one looks a bit like old Gnome versions. Could we at least scale down more and change font to something more readable (the letter spacing is very thin compared to the old UI)? Also margins between window elements, buttons (that are already too big even on higher resolutions) etc. and text also seems so wide and big, I do not wish to be a saltyberry but this is a bit waste of space, but would be alleviated with more scaling options (and font spacing fix).

Edited by Platyna

Colors on health bar area seem too washed out. Right click menus are also massive with lots of travel due to the long header. Separate the bottom section of right click menu so there is less travel needed for mouse to get to sub-options.

The non-selected fight options should be a grayed out/darkened so it's more clear which mode you are in.

Why so much wasted space at bottom of Event window?

Spoiler

mM9dJpQ.png

Edited by LionIX

I also agree with the Font Size, it is far too big, I play on a laptop and usually play with my skill and inventory both open, as well as the text boxes. With all four open it severely limits the visual space in front ot me, even when going out as far as possible on the view. Having anything else open kinda scares me as I might not be able to see anything. Until I can see adequately I am unable to give much feedback on visuals of the world around me. 

I was though easily able to use the disembark "F" key, though I have not tried leading more than one animal to check out the repeat function. Will check on more functions when I log in again later today. (I do like the new skin 🙂)

The repeat option seems to be bugged, at first it worked while mining, but after lighting and fueling a smelter the repeat option remains stuck on Burn. The only way I managed to unstuck it was by choosing to for example mine up (before lighting the smelter I had both used normal mine and mine down in that order). Looks like the repeat function won't return to a previously used type of action?

Edited by Ecrir

11 minutes ago, LionIX said:

Colors on health bar area seem too washed out. Right click menus are also massive with lots of travel due to the long header. Separate the bottom section of right click menu so there is less travel needed for mouse to get to sub-options.

The non-selected fight options should be a grayed out/darkened so it's more clear which mode you are in.

Why so much wasted space at bottom of Event window?

mM9dJpQ.png

That space is reserved for status text.

pLjaBzp.png

• Like 1

Also, why the green icon on health bar when hovering over mobs? That's a big missed opportunity. Make it red when mob is hostile, green when not. Not green for everything.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vomusu said:

https://gifyu.com/image/QKku

new UI, preview client (25mb gif)

That seems unrelated to the UI, but I can't repro the issue. Can you upload your console.log file so i can try with your settings?

For everyone having an issue with the general size of the UI, make sure to tweak the UI Scale option in the UI tab of the Settings - that set at 90% should be quite similar in size to the old UI.

• Like 1