Sign in to follow this  
Drathania

Fishing guides?

Decided to give fishing a go, last time I tried was the week after the fishing update.

Is everything still broken, or, can someone give me some tips? I can't seem to find any tangible information anywhere.

Pole fishing is just rendering snapped lines constantly, eaten hooks, etc, over and over again (15 and 50 fishing skill), these herrings are greedy as fudge.

Net fishing for what seems absolutely ages now, and not a single catch.

How do you get fish now? Let alone fishing skill. Fishing was no-where near as difficult as it's become after the fishing update.

47 minutes ago, Drathania said:

Net fishing for what seems absolutely ages now, and not a single catch.

Use the fishing net in a shallow non ocean water

So inside a mine or a shallow canal should be good. Inside mines is less fish variety so i just dug a 3x3 fishing zone with 2-3 slope under water and am doing it there.

You just activate it and choose Fish will have a 60 seconds timer and depending on skill you can catch 0-x fishes. I started at 18 skill and was getting 1 or 2 / 60s now i am almost 50 and getting 4-5

Once it finishes the 60s timer you must empty the net before being able to fish again.

Should get you to around 60 skill at a decent rate.

L.E. Can use the fish you get to cook with (50+ql) and to grind animal taming (under 50ql) can do it on a pig then switch to black bear at around 40 taming.

Edited by Cipacadrinho

I used one net per action queue, i have 7 actions, thus 7 nets. i did this until 50 fishing skill and stored all the small fish for later.

after 50,  a rod.   now, we have many options here, different reels, different floats, baits, etc. 

pick a target, say, a catfish. (we're going to use the fish table here: https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Fish)  they love fishbait, made by filleting fish. you can use a lightrod (S,LR,MR,DWR) medium, or deep water.

you can use metal (best at sea/deep water) or bone hooks and the twig is the best, well, not the best but the best at any depth and any time of the day so it beats all the other ones if you plan on a long/prolonged fishing session.

or herrings like you said, they love the "grubs" and you can use (LR,MR) light rod or medium rod.

the key is to know what they love and what setup works the best, otherwise you're going to have a hard time

useful links:

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 6:15 PM, Cipacadrinho said:

Use the fishing net in a shallow non ocean water

So inside a mine or a shallow canal should be good. Inside mines is less fish variety so i just dug a 3x3 fishing zone with 2-3 slope under water and am doing it there.

You just activate it and choose Fish will have a 60 seconds timer and depending on skill you can catch 0-x fishes. I started at 18 skill and was getting 1 or 2 / 60s now i am almost 50 and getting 4-5

Once it finishes the 60s timer you must empty the net before being able to fish again.

Should get you to around 60 skill at a decent rate.

L.E. Can use the fish you get to cook with (50+ql) and to grind animal taming (under 50ql) can do it on a pig then switch to black bear at around 40 taming.

I tried this first. I was fishing for almost an hour before I caught something, my 50+ fisher is lucky to catch something in 20 mins, with a 40ql+ net, I have no idea why it's so unbelievably difficult. Prior to the fishing update, I had no issue fishing with decent quality rods, I could even pull marlin and sharks. Certainly small fish like herring were no issue.

The key is use the net in VERY shallow water, not merely close to shore.  If that's done, it's easy to catch fish in the fishing net as I have experience doing it with a character that's actually never been premium and so has Fishing max'd at 20.

As was previously suggested, sites of cave canals are good for using fishing nets as they're generally as shallow as needed.

Also note that all fish caught with a fishing net will be very small-sized, unable to be cut into fillets.  That's the reason after my fishing skill got more towards 25 I switched to a long spear for spear fishing.  The Reel&Rod fishing system in Wurm Online disappoints me, I'm afraid, so right now I tend to stick them with a sharp pointy weapon instead.

Edited by Tristanc
typo fix

for the net, try in a shallow but completely submerged tile. able to still stand on the tile. i recommend you to try at a lake as the caves or sea dont have much variety for the net

but again at 50+ you should be using a fishing rod

I've been grinding my Mag priest yesterday from 17 to 40 standing on a shallow cave tile. You will not catch anything but minnow and a few clams - but minnow is great as a bait for marlin later on when you go for the journal goal to catch a 75kg fish. If you are after that goal, grind fishing to 60+, I've been successful on a 62 skill toon and a few other 60ish ones already (time varied from 10 mins to 3+ hours hunting for the big marlin).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jaz said:

I've been grinding my Mag priest yesterday from 17 to 40 standing on a shallow cave tile. You will not catch anything but minnow and a few clams - but minnow is great as a bait for marlin later on when you go for the journal goal to catch a 75kg fish. If you are after that goal, grind fishing to 60+, I've been successful on a 62 skill toon and a few other 60ish ones already (time varied from 10 mins to 3+ hours hunting for the big marlin).

That's why when I fish/ed with a fishing net, I tended to fish just outside of the opening of the cave canal if there's a shallow part there before it gets into a deeper body of water to get a better variety of fish.  Not sure which fish are useable as bait beyond the minnow but I'd be interested in hearing if anyone knows.  One goal of mine, I guess, is to spear a 'Wurmfish' in a cave, too.

On 7/2/2020 at 5:40 PM, AlmostSolitude2 said:

I used one net per action queue, i have 7 actions, thus 7 nets.

I know this is an old post, but I'm finally playing around with fishing..  I can't figure out how you are using 7 nets?  You can't queue all 7 at once?  or at least I haven't been able to figure out how.  I just have a FSB next to me and keep unloading my one net inbetween.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Hmm  maybe keybind FISH action, then activate each net one at a time and click the keybind key inbetween?  Best I can come up with anyway...

If you actually want to fish, for levelling/grinding personally I think mine fishing is the way to go and get hold of a good  quality pole (not rod) 60+ ql. The pole also uses basic fishing line so easier to make.

The logic behind this is that there are only 3 types of fish and only one 'big' fish, the wurmfish; whereas on surface you have pike, salmon, carp, catfish, brown trout - all likely to jump hook or snap you.

I used 62ql pole, 20ql basic line, 20 ql orange hooks (no bait) and  30 ql feathers (I asked my local farmer nicely, she keeps chickens:) )

Wait for the first splash, activate sleep bonus, double click on tile on second splash (I find this better than one click), catch fish (or lose it), turn off sleep bonus, Repeat and active sleep bonus as soon as possible.

Edited by Hoppper