Darklords

PvP Discussion #2 - Steam Details

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Woops wrong thread.

Edited by RainRain
blanking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 10:25 AM, Zekezor said:

....

Is the safe zone natural influence for the kingdom?

Does the whole starting zone have influence already, or just a small area caused by the starter town?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bregga said:

Does the whole starting zone have influence already, or just a small area caused by the starter town?

Guessing since towers built in safe zone have greater influence distance (for other towers), that it'll be up to kingdoms to get an initial spread of influence started. if island is 500x500, and they give us 1 tower at starter deed, perhaps that will reach 300 out in each direction and skim the coast of the mainland, but I'm guessing we will essentially need to build a tower or three on the starter islands ourselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Darklords

Now that hellhorses and unicorns are unridable... will we be able to lead 4 or 1 animal on the new servers? (4 allows better roaming)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Same question as zeke.

Edited by Melros

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zekezor said:

@Darklords

Now that hellhorses and unicorns are unridable... will we be able to lead 4 or 1 animal on the new servers? (4 allows better roaming)

 

personally i would dislike people going out with 4 barded backups, just doesnt make sense

however, if you could lead 4 animals and as soon as you enter combat with another player you would drop em, that'd be fine

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well these changes if your forgive my bluntness certainly seem tailor made too those people who currently play pvp!

 

And Honestly I was excited, to come back to the game but now I am far from excited.

A) PVE in any game sucks balls!  Not an option...

B ) PvP is not everything in wurm this game is so much more than the pvp!  And most people who come to try out this game are going to get into a very unfriendly experience in a game that is not forgiving with a bunch of veterans who have every edge.

 

In what world do you think an Elevation style battle royale server would be good for a steam release to attract players!  The travel time to raid a home server like on the epic cluster is a must to create a balanced play style as it gates pvp behind travel.  Without that you are going to be showing a bunch of new people a turd why would you not put your best foot forward when attempting to bring this game to steam???

 

Sorry after reading this I will either play on PvE or more likely just not even bother returning to the game as my excitement has been drained by this revelation...  That your releasing a game your current player base wants to a crowd of people who likely don't want this at all....  

 

You need to make a Less Grindy Version of the Epic Cluster for Steam or your just going to fall on your face again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sulfurblade said:

The travel time to raid a home server like on the epic cluster is a must to create a balanced play style as it gates pvp behind travel

you did read the part where theres starting islands for each kingdom that deeds are much harder to raid in right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, sulfurblade said:

Well these changes if your forgive my bluntness certainly seem tailor made too those people who currently play pvp!

 

And Honestly I was excited, to come back to the game but now I am far from excited.

A) PVE in any game sucks balls!  Not an option...

B ) PvP is not everything in wurm this game is so much more than the pvp!  And most people who come to try out this game are going to get into a very unfriendly experience in a game that is not forgiving with a bunch of veterans who have every edge.

 

In what world do you think an Elevation style battle royale server would be good for a steam release to attract players!  The travel time to raid a home server like on the epic cluster is a must to create a balanced play style as it gates pvp behind travel.  Without that you are going to be showing a bunch of new people a turd why would you not put your best foot forward when attempting to bring this game to steam???

 

Sorry after reading this I will either play on PvE or more likely just not even bother returning to the game as my excitement has been drained by this revelation...  That your releasing a game your current player base wants to a crowd of people who likely don't want this at all....  

 

You need to make a Less Grindy Version of the Epic Cluster for Steam or your just going to fall on your face again!

The 3 islands surrounding the main one on Defiance will act as miniature home servers for the kingdoms. However, full-sized home servers are way too much, in my opinion. PvP is brought about by proximity. Gating PvP behind a large amount of travel actively discourages PvP.

Edited by Razorblade
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

you did read the part where theres starting islands for each kingdom that deeds are much harder to raid in right

 

And you read all the limitations on that deed that can only be 21*21 on an island that is only 500*500 big....

I am sorry I don't build small....  Yggdrasil was not a small city it was an entire island and I expect that type of content in the new game....  

I am also BLH for life and a 500*500 size blh home island = death and destruction...  Nothing about this setup sounds remotely appealing!

PvP in my Pie Graph is maybe 10% of what matters, I am far more interested in breeding the first 5 trait horse or make the first rare guard tower etc...

Where as someone like Rakki is far more pvp oriented! 

In a layout like the Epic Cluster Rakki and I coexist somewhat peacefully....

But a game like wurm should not ever be catered to a small narrow window of a very specific playstyle wurm is more than that....

Edited by sulfurblade
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Razorblade said:

The 3 islands surrounding the main one on Defiance should act as miniature home servers for the faction. However, full-sized home servers are way too much, in my opinion. PvP is brought about by proximity. Gating PvP behind a large amount of travel actively discourages PvP.

And PvP is not everything!  

 

I know that might be hard to understand in the world where you have a pve and pvp option!

The PvE option is pointless

however th pvp option is just as pointless unless your only care in the game is PvP...

 

And how many players coming from steam are going to want non stop pvp?

Or 

How many players coming from steam are going to want to be able to build a nice house with a cool farm and pvp every now and again!

 

this is why the Epic Cluster is so good....

Players like myself stay on the Home server and players like you go to Elevation and we are BOTH happy!

 

Edited by sulfurblade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, sulfurblade said:

And PvP is not everything!  

 

I know that might be hard to understand in the world where you have a pve and pvp option!

The PvE option is pointless

however th pvp option is just as pointless unless your only care in the game is PvP...

 

And how many players coming from steam are going to want non stop pvp?

Or 

How many players coming from steam are going to want to be able to build a nice house with a cool farm and pvp every now and again!

 

They'll be plenty safe building on or near their kingdom's home island, and when they want to PvP, there will be plenty of fighting on the front lines, since resource scarcity will actually exist, unlike on Epic. It's the best of both worlds.

Edited by Razorblade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Razorblade said:

The 3 islands surrounding the main one on Defiance will act as miniature home servers for the kingdoms. However, full-sized home servers are way too much, in my opinion. PvP is brought about by proximity. Gating PvP behind a large amount of travel actively discourages PvP.

 

100% This!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, sulfurblade said:

Yggdrasil was not a small city it was an entire island and I expect that type of content in the new game....  


Perhaps you should lower your expectations.
 

 

27 minutes ago, sulfurblade said:

 

PvP in my Pie Graph is maybe 10% of what matters, I am far more interested in breeding the first 5 trait horse or make the first rare guard tower etc...

But a game like wurm should not ever be catered to a small narrow window of a very specific playstyle wurm is more than that....


If PVP is only 10% of what you want, you should probably reconsider what server you play on. You could stick to the PvE server for 90% of your gameplay and teleport over to whatever alliance you want and fight with them for the other 10% of your time.

It's the day before the launch and it's silly to think it'll be changed just for this, especially when most players agree home servers are not conducive to RP and never were; the raid-window system + the starter zone system is more than enough to calm any worries you might have had about early raiding in the pvp server, and it's plenty big to handle all sorts of deeds- and if it's not big enough for you, you can bide your time and hopefully control a section of the mainland large enough to construct whatever massive project you had in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Razorblade said:

They'll be plenty safe building on or near their kingdom's home island, and when they want to PvP, there will be plenty of fighting on the front lines, since resource scarcity will actually exist, unlike on Epic. It's the best of both worlds.

You don't seem to understand 

 

I don't just want some hovel

My deeds were considered some of the best deeds BLH ever had.

a 500 * 500 Island is what I consider my front yard....  

And you think I am going to be happy with a shack on a 21*21 plot 

 

https://ibb.co/CV77jZz <--- Picture of what I am use to building

 

^^^^ Small picture hard to make out details, there are 4 guard towers in that pic a colossus of Libila, what was the largest Bridge on the server at the time, and the entire perimeter of the island was 180 slope dirt walls... That island was half the size of the supposed island you want everyone to share??? 

Edited by sulfurblade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sulfurblade said:

You don't seem to understand 

 

I don't just want some hovel

My deeds were considered some of the best deeds BLH ever had.

a 500 * 500 Island is what I consider my front yard....  

And you think I am going to be happy with a shack on a 21*21 plot 

 

https://ibb.co/CV77jZz <--- Picture of what I am use to building

 

^^^^ Small picture hard to make out details, there are 4 guard towers in that pic a colossus of Libila, what was the largest Bridge on the server at the time, and the entire perimeter of the island was 180 slope dirt walls... That island was half the size of the supposed island you want everyone to share??? 

Well, you seem to want to be able to raid people without allowing them to raid you back, so you can always build on the PvE server, then come over to the PvP server when you want to raid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sulfurblade said:

You don't seem to understand 

 

I don't just want some hovel

My deeds were considered some of the best deeds BLH ever had.

a 500 * 500 Island is what I consider my front yard....  

And you think I am going to be happy with a shack on a 21*21 plot 

 

https://ibb.co/CV77jZz <--- Picture of what I am use to building

Weird flex but okay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jore said:

Weird flex but okay

 

It's not a flex its my reply to being told to be happy with a 21*21 plot on a tiny island. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how about....

making a deed outside the safezone?

 

YAY

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Quicktor said:

how about....

making a deed outside the safezone?

 

YAY

game too hard tho.

And here I am knowing thinking PvP would be better with no safe zone at all :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Quicktor said:

how about....

making a deed outside the safezone?

 

YAY

I don't want to make a deed in a safe zone....

BLH wasn't a safe zone it was simply inconvenient to travel to the southern parts of it!  People still did...

 

Perhaps you all should figure out there are more playstyles then pure pvp and a server supposedly releasing to attract new players really shouldn't be tossing noobs into a Elevation style combat zone, not if they want them to have an impression of the game that is remotely positive....  You know they are going to make there wood hut that took them all day with there tiny farm and someone who understands the game is going to come buy and tear down their wall with a Knife then they're going to rage quit and say screw this.   Before experiencing anything that makes wurm great, before breeding their first 5 speed or digging a canal from one side of BLH to the other for ships to sail down.  Or making their first rare item!!!  

 

I am a proud carebear who prefers pvp servers, I served BL in my own ways with building roads and canals and providing horses to BLE, Corn to sac etc... Care Bears are vital to a good community just as much as the most hardcore champion!  Don't alienate them...  If you can't understand me just wait till you can't understand the flood of new blood tomorrow that's going to be crying bloody murder, as they get welcomes to BL like everyone else does!  Safe zone lol....  There is no such thing in BL...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you say those things as if you can't demolish some newbies life on blh

 

you can make your deed on ele just fine raid windows give you much more protection than a home server did

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

you say those things as if you can't demolish some newbies life on blh

 

you can make your deed on ele just fine raid windows give you much more protection than a home server did

 

The fact that BLE existed usually saved new black lighters because the BLH group was typically those who would help new players and who would guide and teach them...  The BLE types were the ones that would knock down their wooden wall for the lols....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sulfurblade said:

this is why the Epic Cluster is so good....

 

You are still welcome to play there if its so great, this thread is for trying new things after its failure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sulfurblade said:

 

The fact that BLE existed usually saved new black lighters because the BLH group was typically those who would help new players and who would guide and teach them...  The BLE types were the ones that would knock down their wooden wall for the lols....

One thing to remember is that this server is 4x4 instead of 2x2. You could build off the starter island and it'd still be a longer sail from an enemy kingdom than the south side of Affliction was from the north side of Elevation.

 


Also: I see a lot of people complaining about the raid window being too short. Someone's probably already suggested it and I just haven't seen it, but why not just make the window short, but have it pause while enemies are on the deed itself? This allows for time to actually raid the deed, but still prevents people from waking up and finding out that some NEET squad bulldozed their deed at 4am

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now