Sign in to follow this  
Antony

How do people make massive caves?

How do people make massive caves where the roof is some 400+ dirt high?

6WxxJmu.png

I used to build 1x1 towers that reached as high as I needed to go, and ceiling mined everything until it was flat. Tore it all down again and moved to the next section, rinse and repeat.

Or I'd make a ramp like you are on now and reach as far as I could. I'd imagine there is a more efficient way, just how I did it back when they first introduced buildings to cave systems etc.

• Like 3

I've started a project with big open space. Started mining out at 200 slope higher than future floor. Left ceiling flat and working on mining it all down on floor 200 down (I think max is like 224 mining actions down without touching ceiling).

(and strongwall is very helpful to collapse mess ups, and to collapse ramps if needed)

Edited by LionIX
  • Like 1

I usually will “mine up” so there is a 20 slope up, then I walk to the top of the slope and mine the ceiling as high as I can. Then mine the floor flat. This gives decently high ceilings to start. If you want it higher, then you mine the floor down.

• Like 1

I've seen and used both methods, I think the building the tower is easier. it gets hard sometimes to reach back to the ceiling over the entrance if you mine up and then flatten the ceiling then level the floor.

just my opinion :) either method works tho.

• Like 1

Make one tile as high as you can, stand under it, level adjacent tiles. (two story building, stills on top, still plenty of clearance) Leveling one tile takes about 20 minutes of just standing there.

94985VZ.jpg

This is a shot from on top of that building 

2vmcFtn.jpg

Edited by ChampagneDragon
  • Like 1

400 and such isnt possible anymore due to laziness  to make a single byte a float value or a 4 or 2 byte value unless you use the drop shaft method which granted the usual way of connecting 2 vastly different shafts has been put a stop to but there are a few other ways to still make that happen but the "normal way" now is to make a mine higher up as big as you want to then mine down the floor to the lowest point and then level every other tile from there

I still hope we can get bigger mines again some day

Mine the ceilings first to as high as you can, then mine down the floor to the desired level.

It's a lot of work and a lot of planning, and you can mess up easily. 

Edited by atazs

I would not call it laziness rather sense for responsibility. Changing a datatype in a complex interconnected chain of programs and processes is piling up explosives in a heat chamber. If the devs have not very much else to do they may try out whether they can easily change that value without blowing up existing worlds.