Sign in to follow this  
Alpengeist

Craftable Time Pieces

It'd be great to have some sort of watch, clock, or craftable time piece. Something that, when held in inventory, displays like the compass does as a HUD but that shows Wurm time. Us cave-dwellers lose complete track of time and day and night, and a HUD time piece would be really cool for that. 

Sort of along the same theme, the simple custom timers HUD could be made dependent on the player possessing a craftable hourglass in inventory.  Custom timer but in Wurm/medieval style!

A nice sentiment, but to me it breaks the tech level - the compass already stretches it.  I do think that deed tokens should live up to their visual model and function as a daylight timepiece but I don't know if that would help you.

I guess, since the flow of time in Wurm is already artificial, would a hud display need to be a timepiece?  What of a small strip displaying the sun etc rising and setting? 

You can already do /time. A mechanic in game would be ideal in addition. Just add magic or something. Maybe if you enchant a bracelet, it’ll tell time somehow (either a compass like widget or option to show text of the time under health like you can with FPS/speed). 

Heck, with exact speed being an option already, why not just add it there for free and not mess with any in-game items. 

I'd definitely like to see a grandfather clock sort of decor/time piece to put around, maybe even make a small sound at sunrise or sunset kind of thing. Usually I'm inside working away and miss some of those lovely sights.

+1

• Like 1

Medieval History of the Pocket Sundial

sundialPocketTinyBrCu_5.jpg

3209_1a.jpg

pocketsundialcoppercomp_5.jpg

Pull it out and check the time, or let it act like a compass and have a constant on-screen indicator. It could even be an advanced type of compass.

I like the idea of a small audio cue at Sunrise/Sunset, something soothing and barely noticeable (<<a little more muffled than that) but there for those who know to listen for it.

Maybe for everyone, or maybe only for those with an "onscreen time piece" (maybe work custom timers into it)

Like the birds/crickets that let you know a farm tile has advanced.  Maybe a woodpecker sound, or a spring peeper frog.

For those who prefer a handsome new piece of furtniute in their house,

Medieval clocks

https://www.pinterest.ca/williamperriam/medieval-clock/

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 3

Ah, see how educational Wurm is?  

A craftable compass-sundial would basically be a compass, plus the sundial bits.  Have it display instead of the compass when you have it in inventory (or mounted on your boat 🤔)  with the time markings around the outer and the shadow oriented correctly.  You still need to be able to read a sundial, but you already need to be able to read a compass and a map.

What about using the Bell tower? 

It rings automatically at sunrise and at sunset.    Could even have a different musical tune for sunset and sunrise. 

Would also make villages with them in feel a bit more alive too. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I like the idea of a small audio cue at Sunrise/Sunset,

Roosters!

I would be most at home with our local birdsong cycle, but others may find it disorienting.

Where I live the dawn chorus is usually either Magpies or Kookaburras.  Australian magpies sound wonderful when they warble, but the crazy laugh of a kookaburra can be a bit of a shock to the uninitiated. 

Daytime is usually filled with the "beep beep" of Zebra finches, the frantic chitter of willy wagtails, and the various whistles of fairy wrens, finches and wild canaries, with the occasional crack of a pair of whip-birds.

Summer afternoons we have stormbirds, with its repetitive and maddening coo-ee.

Dusk is often punctuated with the maniacal "WHOOOOP whoop whoop whoop" of pheasants, and more from the kookaburras.  Other areas are deafened by lorikeets and other parrots.

Nighttime is pierced by nature's answer to the car alarm, the plover (or masked-lapwing). 

I wonder why so many of our birds sound like they've gone bonkers.

• Like 1

Not only cave dwellers, when I work on the bottom of 230 slope hole, I also hardly distinguish day from the night. +1 to this. 

On 6/25/2020 at 8:35 PM, Zexos said:

What about using the Bell tower? 

It rings automatically at sunrise and at sunset.    Could even have a different musical tune for sunset and sunrise. 

Would also make villages with them in feel a bit more alive too. 

On 6/25/2020 at 9:30 PM, TheTrickster said:

Roosters!

What about roosters for sunrise and the bells for sunset? I really do like the idea of the bells ringing at a certain time of day/eve and the roosters really should crow!

Edited by Katrat
  • Like 1