Sign in to follow this  
Bathilda

[Resolved] HELP!

I can't login!! When I try to login in - there seems to be an attempt to update which fails. I get this message: "Error opening connection to patch server" - I keep clicking 'retry update' with the same result.

Google Public DNS resolves the issue for some.  Youtube walkthrough

A DNS server basically makes it easier for your computer to "find" a server. Every computer "behind the scenes" goes through a DNS server, its just a matter of whether your ISP does this or Google -- the default is your ISP's DNS server is used.  It works somewhat like a phone book, where you look up JOHN DOE and get the number 555-123-4567.  A DNS server translates update.wurmonline.com into a numerical IP address, in this case maybe 81.27.240.180. But those numbers can change on very short notice -- imagine if your phone company routinely changed your cellphone number periodically, and people had to regularly call Directory Assistance to learn the new number every single time. A DNS server basically does that automatically. But if the number changed and the "phonebook" they use is minutes/hours/days out of date, you can't connect until their "lookup service" is also updated. Wurm doesn't do that step, your ISP does. Maybe Google Public DNS does it better and faster. It can vary a lot from ISP to ISP, which is why some people have no problems at all, and other people get this issue a lot.

The youtube link I listed should be pretty easy to follow, even if you are not that comfortable with technical stuff.

Alternatively, if you have not already tried it, it might also be as easy as shutting down your computer for 2-3 minutes then turning it back on, in case that causes your ISP connection to update too. Probably not but it could be the easiest solution if it DOES work. Otherwise, try the Google DNS link above.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Seems fine right now, I was able to patch and login without any issues.

I do by default use google dns though..(if that still matters)

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8

It sorted itself out last night and now it's not working again! :(