Sign in to follow this  
DeriJay

Update failed! (Error opening connecting to patch server.)

Yeah, all working here now without editing the hosts file.

• Like 1

IDK I tried ~8 hours ago and was able to normally update and login without any issues, this must have been a temporary dns issue for (1 or)few hours🙄

Thread moved from Wurm Unlimited technical issues to WO Maintenance Building Technical issues.

It's happening again today unfortunately, 18:30 in UK.

22 hours ago, Keenan said:

And this *will* be the case soon...

Probably because the devs earlier suggested the IP address may be changing more than once, and "soon". Which yes, is going to be a royal pain in the butt for people whose ISPs do not update their DNS servers often.

I suggest looking into changing from your ISP's DNS server, to the more regularly updated Google Public DNS.  It's fast to do, easier and safer than editing HOST files, and if google's public DNS  is no help, there are others you can use but I would start with the google one.

Configure your network settings to use Google Public DNS

Youtube walkthrough if this is easier:

if Google DNS does not work for you and you still cannot connect to the game, you can also try these:

Best free DNS servers of 2020: 14 options to check out

If you are simply curious what a DNS server is, and why it affects your ability to connect to Wurm, see this simple youtube explanation here. Not required though.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Been trying to get on Wurm for over 2 hours and am still getting the same message

Looks like I am in the same boat too. UK also.

It's bouncing around between  3 ips at the moment.

Damn.. 3.5 hours of game time ive missed tonight :(

Well. Sadly my internet in the house its not working. Luckly i use my mobile unlimited as hotspot. Had no problem.also uk here

19 hours ago, DeriJay said:

It's bouncing around between  3 ips at the moment.

Possibly now that the Celebration server testing is done and a success (???),  they are moving over some of the other various servers, both game servers and important databases etc.

Which might mean continuing hiccups for a period, but a lot more reliability over the long term.

Weather it out a bit longer,  and after a brief time  it should be better and more stable than ever.

Maybe

Yep, it seems to be every evening, again 18:13 today in UK.

I try to get a character logged in earlier than this, so I have one to play with that *stays on deed*, then it doesn't matter too much if I drop and can't get back in.

9.30pm uk time and still cant get on

Update... 10.30pm uk time and still no access.

Edited by Blaike

So I've been able to connect SOMETIMES but not others it's very erratic but earlier mentioned fix with hosts file doesn't help.. This is the only issue I am having despite updating things on a number of different game services.. 

Sigh - having the same issues again today, quite frustrating but on the plus side... my kitchen has never been so clean!  :)

Have been hearing that it has continued for many so tried to just not log out sermon alts at all, they did crash out once but was able to get them back on. Today I totally forgot and logged em all out to do some maintenance and reboot pc, and of course now can't log in again. No clue what to do next, nothing wrong on my end that I can find, rebooted my router, no problem doing anything else internet related, just wurm. Not messing with hosts file again, can try another dns like google etc (edit that doesn't work either, tried 3 different ones) but I  no longer believe this is a problem with isps in the UK (there is more than one btw) and believe it is something that changed in wurm with the last update, as thats when this started.

got all mine back in now, using vpn is the only thing that worked, set it to germany since I believe that's where the servers are

Edited by Tilda
updated

oh look, unable to play again. It's fine, I really wanted to spend my weekend not able to play 

at least from here in the UK - mtr (or traceroute) is showing that the route to the cdn used for updates.wurmonline.com is failing.

14 minutes ago, Tilda said:

I  no longer believe this is a problem with isps in the UK (there is more than one btw) and believe it is something that changed in wurm with the last update, as thats when this started.

I agree with this there is zero issue with anything else other than the wurm launcher attempting to check for an update that isn't even there to download.. all other internet processes are fine.

• Like 1

I have ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES starting the launcher and logging in the game(just tried)...

if the game's hostnames/dns currently have dns problem of whatever sort... -> use google's dns servers, you literally need that 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 IPs as dns servers, no other change in your settings, and it CHANGES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for you, besides using a faster and more reliable dns server

11e17c3dcea60be00e223e66d61f1c9d.png

fix your dns issue, play now if you want to.. game's perfectly fine... even if dns somewhere 'leaks', being your dns or game's .. as I have no issues, lazy to check records

@Finnnyeah just done exactly that. Clearly not fine for UK people trying to connect. Nice to know it works for you tho

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Finnn said:

I have ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES starting the launcher and logging in the game(just tried)...

if the game's hostnames/dns currently have dns problem of whatever sort... -> use google's dns servers, you literally need that 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 IPs as dns servers, no other change in your settings, and it CHANGES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for you, besides using a faster and more reliable dns server

11e17c3dcea60be00e223e66d61f1c9d.png

fix your dns issue, play now if you want to.. game's perfectly fine... even if dns somewhere 'leaks', being your dns or game's .. as I have no issues, lazy to check records

Well I'm glad you have no issue but the fact of the matter is neither do I wurm launcher does. I've changed my dns to googles and restarted. No difference

Same, I have changed mine, yet still not able to connect.