Sign in to follow this  
DeriJay

Update failed! (Error opening connecting to patch server.)

you can try this:     start menu -> run(or press win button + R button) -> cmd      -> once console opens ->    ipconfig /flushdns 

that should clear your old dns cached hostnames/ips.. and should be pulling the right ip/hostname information does that fix the issue for people who just switched to google's dns servers? 

Finnn, not all of us are techies but not all of us are dummies either, don't be so condescending please. For what its worth I've done all of that, tried google dns as well as comodo and one other, flushed dns cache, you name it I've tried it, nothing. Now however: got all mine back in now, using vpn is the only thing that worked, set it to germany since I believe that's where the servers are

Tried that after an ally managed to get around the issues with vpn, but if the game is gonna require once again for us to take extraordinary actions to log in (sure the hell isn't the first time folks have had issues!) then it is not at all impressive for the big steam launch. Just saying. This started after the last update, yet we are expected to accept it is just our crappy isp or our lack of technical expertise, nothing changed in the client causing the problems. (bad language removed before I wrote it!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tilda said:

Finnn, not all of us are techies but not all of us are dummies either, don't be so condescending please. For what its worth I've done all of that, tried google dns as well as comodo and one other, flushed dns cache, you name it I've tried it, nothing. Now however: got all mine back in now, using vpn is the only thing that worked, set it to germany since I believe that's where the servers are

Tried that after an ally managed to get around the issues with vpn, but if the game is gonna require once again for us to take extraordinary actions to log in (sure the hell isn't the first time folks have had issues!) then it is not at all impressive for the big steam launch. Just saying. This started after the last update, yet we are expected to accept it is just our crappy isp or our lack of technical expertise, nothing changed in the client causing the problems. (bad language removed before I wrote it!)

words..

if it was only a dns issue.. and you just changed your dns.. there's the chance you had something messed up in the cache.. and that's the reason to post the flushdns command...

the whole a>b>c>d.. was so both know-how and not.. can get same results without extra questions and so on, tried to help.. but when helping is called 'condescending' behavior.. idk.., thought we tried to solve what the issue was... not measuring... 

anyway...

seems like it's not just dns problem(if several have moved to googledns and there's no improvement), but a general connectivity from certain areas(meaning only solution for some might be vpn for however long this problem lasts)

Finnn I apologize if I read you wrong, just how it came across to me at the time, no big deal. I also apologize if it turns out this is not wurm related at all, would be very surprised, but someone just told me there have been issues for UK gamers on other games as well, and as I don't currently play any other mmo type game I wouldn't know. So yeah maybe its something screwy in the UK only and will resolve itself, I don't know, just happy to be able to log in and play, being locked out is extremely frustrating and I feel for those who haven't managed to work around it.

PS have also had the suggestion that because vpn solved it it is unlikely to be wurm itself, and I can accept being wrong if I am just conflicting opinions and I don't know :)

Edited by Tilda

My solution to the problem was to go to bed at 6pm UK time and wake up at 2am.  I could then play Wurm from then on for hours on end with no problem.  I avoided all this frustration and caught up with my Australian friends.

10 hours ago, Muse said:

My solution to the problem was to go to bed at 6pm UK time and wake up at 2am.  I could then play Wurm from then on for hours on end with no problem.  I avoided all this frustration and caught up with my Australian friends.

I'm thinking I'll just leave Wurm open, since I'm not getting the issue yet again

Still seems to be hit & miss and updates.wurmonline.com is still resolving to three different IPs.  Doesn't matter what DNS one uses.

The Wurm DNSs  seem to be set to  using the CNAME   - 1892030645.rsc.cdn77.org and THAT  appears to  different A  records .

1892030645.rsc.cdn77.org results:

ns1.cdn77.org.
A 10 ms
IN     185.59.223.26    1

ns2.cdn77.org.
A 11 ms
IN     195.181.169.3     1

Have the same issue again, damn I'm gonna miss the rift.

Same Blaike, and was really looking forward to doing a rift :(

lets hope we can get on and get at least a score of 20

same problem again today. trying to get on for 2 hours now and no luck.

Ok its now 3 hours and can't get on.. Am I doing something wrong or should I be doing something.

3 hours and 20 minutes of trying and I got on, yay.. Now it's time for bed :(

Edited by Blaike

So we believe the issue may be around the London data center for our CDN provider. I've taken that data center out of the list and will continue to monitor the situation.

What's a CDN?

A CDN or Content Delivery Network is a service that hosts data for a site in data centers or "edge nodes" around the world. This means that when you hit updates.wurmonline.com, you're actually first asking the CDN for the nearest location near you. The CDN knows roughly where you are based on something called "geo IP location", or in other words they know roughly where you're coming from based on the address your internet provider is providing. It then returns a host near that location so that you get the fastest download speeds.

In our case, we believe that the London data center is having issues, though I couldn't find evidence of this on our provider's website. We have several EU data centers selected though, so removing London shouldn't be too noticeable to folks in the UK. Especially considering the advice in this thread has been to "pin" the Moscow data center in the hosts file, which is pretty far from the UK last I checked!

I recommend those who have had issues to revert the changes made to the hosts file and try again (give it a few hours from the time of this post) and continue reporting if you're having issues. What's most helpful is to ping or traceroute the updates.wurmonline.com host and give us the IP that you're getting so I can trace it to a data center. It will give me more information if I have to hit up support at the provider.

Thanks for the patience as we try to resolve this issue.

• Like 6

worked for me today with the vpn off, so your fix did the trick Keenan thanks

this fix is to complicated for me i hope that the Wurm team is fixing this issue i wont keep trying to do this im afraid ill mess something up. im in Montana USA and i cant update here either.

Edited by Susanna
add location

mine says   Update failed (Error: Could not copy graphics jar to Graphics jar back)

3 hours ago, Susanna said:

mine says   Update failed (Error: Could not copy graphics jar to Graphics jar back)

This is very likely because you have another Wurm client running. Files cannot be updated when they are needed by another Wurm client at the same time.