Sign in to follow this  
DeriJay

Update failed! (Error opening connecting to patch server.)

I and a friend (lives elsewhere in UK) also can't update.. same error

Me too! Relieved I'm not the only one i guess we just have to wait

same here, uk, just stuck saying its downloading though. I logged in fine after today's restart, it was much later I tried to log in an alt and couldn't. I logged out, did a reboot and tried again now can't log in at all.

Edited by Tilda

Was getting the same have just sorted it, have added updates.wurmonline.com to the hosts file.

5 minutes ago, RollyPolly said:

Was getting the same have just sorted it, have added updates.wurmonline.com to the hosts file.

Did you just add a line of text to the hosts file? Where was it located I mean I could probably find it but it would help if you could give us a path. Thanks

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc (Win10)

added;

81.27.240.180 updates.wurmonline.com

Edited by RollyPolly
OS
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, RollyPolly said:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc (Win10)

added;

Thanks mate, unfortunately this hasn't appeared to solve it for me

Edit its working I typed it wrong lol thankyou so much! The ip and updates.wurmonline.com should be in the same line

Edited by Zalcrow

yeah hosts file didn't do it for me either

SOLVED by Rollypolly

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

(Win10) edit the host file at the bottom type

If you are unable to save this file go to properties click the security tab scroll down to users and grant full access you should then be able to save the file

Edited by Zalcrow
  • Like 1

Hi, this seems to be some intermittent routing issue with the Internet infrastructure. The patch server is up and it works fine for some, and some areas of the world (seems to be mostly UK) apparently can't connect to it.

From a quick search, many other online services are also experiencing similar issues - sadly this is not something we can fix ourselves.

It should pass shortly if the hosts file trick didn't work for you or you don't want to mess with that.

If you change the hosts file, remember to restore it to the state it was beforehand when the issues pass, as it will break the updating process whenever we alter the IP behind that.

Edited by Samool
  • Like 3

Hosts file worked for me, thanks RollyPolly :) 

TIP: I could not save the file in the etc folder (no permission), so I ran Notepad as Administrator, loaded the hosts file, saved the original text as a .txt file for backup, added RollyPolly's code and saved it back into the etc folder as All files.

Also if you're going to screw around with hosts remember to get rid of it at some point as if the Ip ever shifts you'll have problems

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RollyPolly said:

Also if you're going to screw around with hosts remember to get rid of it at some point as if the Ip ever shifts you'll have problems

And this *will* be the case soon...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Samool said:

If you change the hosts file, remember to restore it to the state it was beforehand when the issues pass, as it will break the updating process whenever we alter the IP behind that.

This can never be said too often.

It's waaaay better to have a one hour frustration while local ISPs get their DNS settings resolved, than to jump into  a "quick" solution that ends up messing you up bigtime weeks or months later because you no longer remember you ever messed with the HOST file, or aren't really clear what a HOST file is and how it works...  Myself, I can never remember what settings I made months ago. So I am reluctant to make windows system changes that might later come back to haunt me. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

9 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

This can never be said too often.

It's waaaay better to have a one hour frustration while local ISPs get their DNS settings resolved, than to jump into  a "quick" solution that ends up messing you up bigtime weeks or months later because you no longer remember you ever messed with the HOST file, or aren't really clear what a HOST file is and how it works...  Myself, I can never remember what settings I made months ago. So I am reluctant to make windows system changes that might later come back to haunt me. 

Although in this case you could always come back to this post to remind yourself of what was changed and how to undo it :)

Hello, All.

Where am I typing in:

???

34 minutes ago, Bathilda said:

Hello, All.

Where am I typing in:

???

If those directions too hard, it is possibly something better not to mess with, and just to wait it out (as frustrating as that is). it does always resolve itself over time, although sometimes in some cases it can take hours and hours. 

And maybe set a SYSTEM RESTORE POINT before touching anything.

1 hour ago, Zalcrow said:

Although in this case you could always come back to this post to remind yourself of what was changed and how to undo it :)

Not everyone makes the connection to "this post" when they have an issue weeks or months  later, especially for people who never posted in this thread (but followed the "edits" anyway). 

sounds like a WO issue to me but what do I know  *shrug*

Muse was just able to log in using the original hosts file, with no problems, so *hopefully* the issue is now resolved for the majority of UK players.

Edited by Muse