Sign in to follow this  
atazs

There are no such things as "Steam servers" and "Steam WO"

Well this clears things up for me, thanks. I was under the impression that Steam users would be limited to the NEW servers and wouldn't be allowed to come play with me. 

1 hour ago, Samool said:

differing just in the account handling and monetization part, the Steam accounts being required to purchase premium and silver coins through the Steam services instead of our shop.

I had not considered this bit.  I thought I understood the workings, but I keep thinking I understand less than I thought I did.  Pretty soon I am going to need someone draw me a diagram.

I think maybe this would be clearer if compartmentalized in people's thinking. 

Just so I know I am on the right track, is this about right? - 

1. The "steam launch" is the new client/account accessed via steam.  That's all. There is some limited reference to pre-existing accounts, in that character names cannot be duplicated.   Real money purchases for this client are exclusive to this client.  Characters launched from this client are exclusive to this client (correct?).
  2. The "steam" servers are actually fresh new servers whose launch is timed to coincide with the new client.  They have no connections to the pre-existing servers, and there will be no interaction between them [EDIT:  except for comms like chat and PM - thanks Samool] (at least for now).  The Wurm running on ALL the servers is and will remain the same Wurm.

I have a "what if".  What if I have used the new client to create a new account and character, on the new PVP server (sensibly named Dissonance).  If I want to access Release, for example, from the new client, must I either re-start that character or start a new one (this.  Thanks, Samool), OR can I access my pre-existing character already on Release?  Likewise, if I use the existing client to access the new PVP server does that mean resetting my pre-existing character, or can I only go to the new server by creating a character specific to that server-set (this.  Thanks again, Samool)?  This may be obvious or well-known to the Wurm community, and my newb is showing.  I have no experience in transitioning between servers except on a boat.

Edited by TheTrickster
Added answers to my questions

You cannot move characters between the new cluster and the old clusters. You can create new characters on either of them whenever you want, using whichever client you want.

The rest of your points is correct, except some minor details about the connection - you will be able to chat with people on the other cluster, whether through global chats or PMs, so it's not completely separated regarding that.

• Like 2

will you be allowed to take silver from old servers or trade silver in old servers for stuff in new servers or whatever or nah

No way to transfer silver coins or items or premium time between those clusters.

As those aren't out of game assets, if you're inclined to do that, (according to the current rules) you can trade with other players by paying them with in-game items on another cluster, if that's what you're asking about.

• Like 2

I've heard a lot of things in my years of playing this game, they usually always end up changing.

Can't rely on anything.

7 hours ago, Samool said:

It doesn't differ much at all.

But it does differ, so the pessimistic/optimistic(?) picture I'm painting is pretty valid because it hinges upon the slightest difference. Not that I think it will come to it because it's very unlikely to come to this, but how much traction does the Steam client (and I'm aware it's just another client, nothing to do with the servers) need to have over the legacy variant for you to start entertaining going steam-client only (with all servers still existing)?

It's just a simple matter of weighing cost and utility. Is there really no ratio between legacy and steam clients where you would consider it at all?

I'm not just trying to be a contrarian, or put you on the spot, nor am I against using Steam personally, I'm quite a fan of it actually.

I would suggest, however, to entertain these notions carefully and diligently. It's part of managing expectations, and for one reason or another, expectations diverged heavily when it came to WU. I think it would be much more confidence inspiring to some critics here if you didn't turn a blind eye to such possibilities and tried to dismiss them with absolute promises of "never going to happen" without addressing the pitfalls fully.

Or in another light: Is switching out the Steam authentication a one time code-tweak in the very same code repository that - ideally - never needs changing again and updates merely need to be pushed from the same repository into two different upstreams instead of one? If you can streamline (or steamline, if you will) the process to this point, I think it'd be much more realistic to say "we will never abandon either client" (because there is no continuous overhead that would be eliminated this way, so why even bother?)

Which grazes one thing I was curious about: Will SteamWO utilize Steams update mechanisms, or just use it as a distribution platform and update via launcher the same way as the legacy client? From your reply I'd gather that it's the second option, which would be in line with keeping deployment differences to a minimum. At the same time, the Steam download servers are pretty powerful and I'm sure the new client would benefit a lot from the update speed it can provide.

Where should be an advantage by going steam only, other than the "advantage" of losing revenue from legacy accounts (maybe weighted against simplified accounting)? As to me, I would have to split my character accounts to different steam accounts, beneath that I hate steam :) ,

• Like 1

Hello Wurm community!

This is my first post here and I am one of the players attracted by the "Steam WO" release figuring out what to do and how to get the best possible experience in case I enjoy my stay.

What has been my previous MMO experience is probably best left for other parts of the forum. Here I would like to share my thoughts and impressions as someone who has put some time into reading about this game, watching some videos and following several discussions here.

I see Steam WO as a chance to start fresh on equal footing with other players.

What bothers me most about joining new server instead of trying to assimilate into the "old" community is this: if Steam WO is not a success then what? Will the new servers just die out with Steam-created characters unable to move to the old world? Community is important (to me at least) and I can see Steam WO community as a very different beast (however tiny it might be) to the old-timey crowd.

Choices, choices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aord said:

What bothers me most about joining new server instead of trying to assimilate into the "old" community is this: if Steam WO is not a success then what? Will the new servers just die out with Steam-created characters unable to move to the old world? Community is important (to me at least) and I can see Steam WO community as a very different beast (however tiny it might be) to the old-timey crowd.

My suspicion -- and I would be willing to bet a majority (definitely not entire) of the playerbase, suspect that the new server is going to flourish extraordinarily well, and possibly to the slight detriment of the older servers. No one knows of course until we actually get there.   I think the chances of the new server being "absorbed" into the older server at some stage way down the line, is pretty high, and that "worst case scenario" if the new server "fails," it will simply be absorbed faster, to let the veterans devour through new territories.  If it succeeds, it (my prediction) will simply be given more time to grow on its own in a protected "quarantined" status, until it can join the other servers on an equally strong basis.

When I started Wurm, ten years ago, I was also unsure about making "the wrong choice" in my first character's choices. Should I immediately join a village of people I didn't know? Or just tromp off into the wilderness and "try till you die"? Should I stay close to the developed starter area "to be safe", or head for the wildest area I could discover? Since you can have five characters per email account, I actually started five different baby characters and played each of them a little each day, maybe 1-2 hours minimum per character. Eventually, I did not have to "choose" between them because it was absolutely clear to me which character choices I was enjoying the most.  A waste of time? We are talking about a game where I have 8500 hours into WU and probably more than that into WO. An extra 10-20 hours here and there trying things out, is a drop in the bucket. And even with probably more than 17k hours into the game total, across all servers/versions/characters, there are HUNDREDS of veterans here who make me look like a complete lightweight.

There are longtime players here who EASILY play up to five characters on a regular consistent basis -- ie, it is not a case of a "main" and "mules," or a "real" character" and "alts", but of a family of characters that they enjoy playing different "chapters" with. Without ever considering them "drones," some may play double that many on a regular consistent basis. I would bet hundreds of players here own more than a dozen deeds, either on different servers or different parts of the same server. And that none of those are neglected. 

What I am saying I guess is maybe start a character now on the older servers. Then on July 24, another one on the newer servers. Maybe more than those two.

If you truly get hooked on the game -- and sounds to me like you are well on your way -- NONE of those characters will be "wasting your time". No more than you are wasting your time by reading a wonderful, mesmerizing novel, one that goes on and on and on without ending.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Aord said:

Hello Wurm community!

This is my first post here and I am one of the players attracted by the "Steam WO" release figuring out what to do and how to get the best possible experience in case I enjoy my stay.

What has been my previous MMO experience is probably best left for other parts of the forum. Here I would like to share my thoughts and impressions as someone who has put some time into reading about this game, watching some videos and following several discussions here.

I see Steam WO as a chance to start fresh on equal footing with other players.

Choices, choices.

Welcome, Aord.

I wouldn't worry about any kind of divide between old and new members of the community.  I am about 6 months in, and right from the start have not experienced any kind of issue of that sort.  I have come across a few people in game who assumed I knew more than I did, but were quite happy to explain whatever I didn't understand once I let them know how little experience I had.  I think even that will occur less on a fresh server with a fresh "market".

You are likely to be offered all sorts of stuff to help you get started.  Accept it, but be mindful that it is a two edged sword (even when it isn't a sword).  It's hard to make you own stuff, and your first attempts will not be much good, but that is how you improve your skill to make better stuff.  Even accepting good quality stuff from helpful veterans, work on skills anyway.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aord said:

Choices, choices.

The "steam WO community" will consist of three parts: 

• Former "old WO players", active or retired from the game in the meantime, who want to try a fresh start on the new server(s)
  • Newcomers from the steam community, who also want to start there
  • Newcomers from the steam community, who chose to start on the old servers.

That old players, who know the game, may appreciate the experience of a new server, ist quite understandable, though many active players may decide to stay at their places and with their skills and possessions. Also, that new starters may prefer a "fresh environment". There are no fully equal chances though. Experienced Wurmians have a significant headstart as they have not to learn structure, mechanics, and intricacies of the game, and know a lot of best practices for fast and efficient progress.

There are a couple of reasons for a newcomer, though, to decide to join the already developed servers. As the community is always helpful towards starters, they will have access to very good tools and weapons. In addition, they may enjoy the protection and instruction of established villages if they choose to join one. But even on their own they will have a lot of support and advantages. Right at the date of the steam launch there will be an "impalong", a player created event where everyone can let her equipment be improved by experienced crafters, and even enchanted by priests with special properties, something which won't be present soon on the newly created server.

Also, once they have a ship (at the beginning, a rowing boat is fairly effective, and commandable without particular skills) they may travel freely between seven servers of the Freedom cluster, and once experienced bit more, even to the Chaos PvP cluster, of even teleport to the (somewhat abandoned) Epic PvP cluster with special characteristics. In other words, the world of existing WO is huge, and in no way crowded.

I do not intend to entice steam players away from the newly created servers unless they decide so by themselves. But a look at the "old world" will certainly be worth it.

Edited by Ekcin
autocorrect garbage
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Aord said:

Choices, choices.

As for now in start:

15 hours ago, Samool said:

You cannot move characters between the new cluster and the old clusters. You can create new characters on either of them whenever you want, using whichever client you want.

The rest of your points is correct, except some minor details about the connection - you will be able to chat with people on the other cluster, whether through global chats or PMs, so it's not completely separated regarding that.

So even if they dont get connected in future ...you still can chat trough global chats or pm:s 

4 hours ago, Aord said:

Steam-created characters unable to move to the old world?

Did you actually, fully read my post? 

You will be able to play on the current world with characters created via steam immedietly at launch and afterwards.

I don't get it.... How is this simple concept so hard to understand for so many people? How can i be more clear than this? To finally clear out this misconception of the current servers being unavailable for steam characters?

I guess i should just give up. Relying on people to read before they ask questions is just too difficult it seems like.

Edited by atazs

6 minutes ago, atazs said:

Did you actually, fully read my post? 

You will be able to play on the current world with characters created via steam.

I don't get it.... How is this simple concept so hard to understand for so many people? How can i be more clear than this, to clear out this misconception of the current servers unavailable for steam characters

you cut of his text....he posted:

4 hours ago, Aord said:

if Steam WO is not a success then what?

Will the new servers just die out with Steam-created characters unable to move to the old world?

Community is important (to me at least) and I can see Steam WO community as a very different beast (however tiny it might be) to the old-timey crowd.

Choices, choices.

If Rolf and company choose not to connect steam WO with those servers we got now,  he can only talk to ppl trough PM:s and GLchat 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, atazs said:

How is this simple concept so hard to understand for so many people?

Because that concept isn't as simple and clear as you try to misrepresent it. Just as you try to misrepresent people disagreeing with you as "not undestanding"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bdew said:

Because that concept isn't as simple and clear as you try to misrepresent it. Just as you try to misrepresent people disagreeing with you as "not undestanding"

Actually the concept is simple. Create a character and you can launch it thru the steam "version".

1 hour ago, Gawain said:

Actually the concept is simple. Create a character and you can launch it thru the steam "version".

The irony here is astonishing.

Choices, choices.

I will break it down. What they are saying is:

* If they create a new character on the new server, and

* If the new server is kind of a flop and if the new server never connects to the old servers

* they are tempted to create on the older servers instead, out of a fear they may be forever "stuck" on an unconnected deserted empty new server with no real community, hence their quandary about "Choices, Choices."

• Like 1

If the word "Steam server" bothers you so much, just pretend they said "new server".  People use "Steam server" just as a verbal shortcut to mean the new server introduced as part of the new Steam promotion

Just like how 5 speed horses don't REALLY have five speeds. It's a verbal shortcut for "horses that have all five speed traits."  Are you all going to start waging a war against people who refer to "5 speed horses" because "it's not  accurate"?

• Like 2

On 6/23/2020 at 10:23 AM, Tor said:

Don't think there's misconceptions, it's just names commonly used to refer the new servers as they don't have names at moment, from what i have seen

No, there really is quite a few posts of people thinking that new players who start on steam won't be able to play on the old servers or vice versa, and other questions that clearly highlight misconceptions about the new servers, and mistaken beliefs that they are for steam players only or similar. 

First of all, thanks for many replies, welcoming words and useful information. Passionate community must truly love this game and this is inspiring.

Indeed, I am looking forward joining the game and Steam WO launch seems like perfect opportunity.

New server PROS:

• Everyone starts from scratch (not necessarily with same amount of game knowledge though)
  • Excitement at the prospect of discovering new lands!
  • Some Wurm veteran players are going to join this server too, so newbies like me can possibly ask for help or advice in dire situations

New server CONS:

• Can possibly fail to attract enough people resulting in a non-existent community
  • Your character is bound to this server for foreseeable future, as your Premium/paid items

Old server PROS:

• Healthy community, many options to join a village etc (important for me)
  • Interconnected servers, roam as you wish

Old server CONS:

• I still prefer to start on equal footing with other players (am I being picky here?)
  • If I create a character now, I won't be able to access it via Steam client later on (did you ever wonder what "cross-platform" truly means?)

I wonder if there's even more to OLD vs NEW servers but my lack of actual game experience makes comparison this short.

P.S. "Too many words, play the game already!" I know, I know. If it works out I plan to stay for a very long time, so I try to pick carefully. Personally, I wish Steam WO a huge success, the amount of love put into creating this deserves no less.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Aord said:

First of all, thanks for many replies, welcoming words and useful information. Passionate community must truly love this game and this is inspiring.

Indeed, I am looking forward joining the game and Steam WO launch seems like perfect opportunity.

New server PROS:

• Everyone starts from scratch (not necessarily with same amount of game knowledge though)
  • Excitement at the prospect of discovering new lands!
  • Some Wurm veteran players are going to join this server too, so newbies like me can possibly ask for help or advice in dire situations

New server CONS:

• Can possibly fail to attract enough people resulting in a non-existent community
  • Your character is bound to this server for foreseeable future, as your Premium/paid items

Old server PROS:

• Healthy community, many options to join a village etc (important for me)
  • Interconnected servers, roam as you wish

Old server CONS:

• I still prefer to start on equal footing with other players (am I being picky here?)
  • If I create a character now, I won't be able to access it via Steam client later on (did you ever wonder what "cross-platform" truly means?)

I wonder if there's even more to OLD vs NEW servers but my lack of actual game experience makes comparison this short.

P.S. "Too many words, play the game already!" I know, I know. If it works out I plan to stay for a very long time, so I try to pick carefully. Personally, I wish Steam WO a huge success, the amount of love put into creating this deserves no less.

I was here when Pristine was launched, a lot of us were worried about the same things your thinking about and it was fine.  I had an absolutely amazing experience and a new server launch in Wurm is a completely unique experience you really can't miss.

I think you are focusing too much on making a wrong decision and 'wasting time'.  I think after you play this game for a prolonged period of time you realize that it's all about the experience and you literally can't 'waste time' in Wurm, either that or all of Wurm is a waste depending on your perspective.

• Like 4

I don't think you need to worry about the "new" server being a flop, or eventually having a less active community than the old servers.  I think the "new server" will have the largest population of all, right up until it is connected to the original cluster. At some point Xanadu could take the lead back again, based simply on its huge landmass,  but I think Xanadu has some issues where just having "open areas" will not be much of an attraction. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Object said:

...a new server launch in Wurm is a completely unique experience you really can't miss.... I think you are focusing too much on making a wrong decision and 'wasting time'.  I think after you play this game for a prolonged period of time you realize that it's all about the experience and you literally can't 'waste time' in Wurm, either that or all of Wurm is a waste depending on your perspective.

100 percent agree.  

Well taking a look at the WU launch of Steamcharts it was up to 2000 concurrent.  Then add in SO has the free to try demo period, we could see an absolutely massive spike.  I still remember Pristine on launch, there were gone of new players, tons.

We're in an era where OSRS, Classic WoW and EQ99 exist and are popular, there is absolutely no reason WO steam won't attract a huge new spike in players.  The problem is Wurm itself loves to mercilessly torture new players, so either you start to love the pain or Wurm finally defeats you.

• Like 2