Sign in to follow this  
atazs

There are no such things as "Steam servers" and "Steam WO"

This misonception that some people have needs to be cleared up because the FAQ might be hard to understand or unclear.

People are still confused and spreading misinformation. I keep seeing so many confused posts. So for those people:

THERE IS NO EXCLUSIVE CONTENT FOR STEAM USERS

YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY ON THE NEW SERVERS WITH OR WITHOUT USING STEAM

YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY ON THE CURRENT SERVERS WITH OR WITHOUT STEAM

"STEAM WO" IS MERELY A SEPERATE CLIENT FOR THE GAME THAT YOU CAN LAUNCH TROUGH STEAM. IT IS COMPLETELY OPTIONAL. 

THE ONLY THING YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO DO IS PLAY NON STEAM CHARACTERS TROUGH STEAM, AND STEAM CHARACTERS TROUGH THE NON STEAM CLIENT.

Is it really that hard to understand? 

Edited by atazs

Wouldn't it be better if Wurm for Steam was exclusive for the 'Steam' server/s? Tracking account ownership via Steam ID, would be a great way to stop people from selling accounts. How can you utilize steam ID if people are logging in from the standalone client?

They should make it an exclusive client. I and others are inclined to stay away from returning just because there is the looming possibility that they'll do what they did to epic and just merge the clusters again down the line. I brought it up on a reddit thread and someone else had agreed that the possibility of that is the deal-breaker for them.

• Like 1

In a nutshell this whole Steam thing is nothing more than 2 new servers will be launched which are disconnected from the old servers for now. End of the story.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, atazs said:

This misonception that some people have needs to be cleared up because the FAQ might be hard to understand or unclear.

People are still confused and spreading misinformation. I keep seeing so many confused posts. So for those people:

YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY ON THE NEW SERVERS WITH OR WITHOUT USING STEAM

YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY ON THE CURRENT SERVERS WITH OR WITHOUT STEAM

"STEAM WO" IS MERELY A SEPERATE CLIENT FOR THE GAME THAT YOU CAN LAUNCH TROUGH STEAM. IT IS COMPLETELY OPTIONAL. 

THE ONLY THING YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO DO IS PLAY NON STEAM CHARACTERS TROUGH STEAM, AND STEAM CHARACTERS TROUGH THE NON STEAM CLIENT.

Is it really that hard to understand? 

Don't think there's misconceptions, it's just names commonly used to refer the new servers as they don't have names at moment, from what i have seen

1 minute ago, Tor said:

Don't think there's misconceptions, it's just names commonly used to refer the new servers as they don't have names at moment, from what i have seen

A lot of people think "steam will kill WO". Steam is WO, how can it kill itself?

9 minutes ago, Kelody said:

A lot of people think "steam will kill WO". Steam is WO, how can it kill itself?

Never seen anyone say that but yeah, that's silly

3 hours ago, atazs said:

... yet.

Edited by bdew
  • Like 2
  • Cat 1

3 hours ago, atazs said:

So its still two saperate game then's ?  but same version , unless they let you go back and forth like they did for Pristine and Release  at a later date ..

If not  then i see it bleeding players from WO ....if it is not opened later ...

But did they not say that you can not use same name as old WO ? on steam ?    for character ....

3 minutes ago, bdew said:

... yet.

There wont ever be 

• Cat 1

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

But did they not say that you can not use same name as old WO ? on steam ?    for character ....

Otherwise it will be a nightmare IF they eventually merge.

I suspect they WILL eventually merge, but they do not want to say anything for certain as the player community seems pretty adamantly divided on "when" this "should" occur, sooner or later. 

Meantime, better safe than sorry on the names thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gawain said:

There wont ever be 

Mhm. 

"statements made over 4 years ago aren't promises, things change and circumstances change" - Retro

• Like 3

Just now, bdew said:

Mhm. 

"statements made over 4 years ago aren't promises, things change and circumstances change" - Retro

And? That is an if. Not a will lol. @Retrograde got any input on version exlusives?

Just now, Gawain said:

And?

And that means whatever you or anyone else states can change at the blink of an eye and we will be told that wasn't a promise things change etc.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bdew said:

Mhm. 

WU was dropped because it required separate dev time away from WO on top of taking away money. Demonize a company all you want but at the end of the day they've got to make money lol. 

Exclusive content for steam makes no sense as they're the same game; no extra dev time to update.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jore said:

WU was dropped because it required separate dev time away from WO on top of taking away money. Demonize a company all you want but at the end of the day they've got to make money lol. 

Exclusive content for steam makes no sense as they're the same game; no extra dev time to update.

Ah such a shame that they can't make money without breaking promises and alienating half the community. Pro business move right there.

And guess what will happen when the new overlords decide that non-steam version isn't making enough money?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bdew said:

Ah such a shame that they can't make money without breaking promises and alienating half the community. Pro business move right there.

And guess what will happen when the new overlords decide that non-steam version isn't making enough money?

Like said in the past. WU would have needed to pull in more money to properly have people working on it. It did not end up making as much money and thus it was halted development wise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gawain said:

Like said in the past. WU would have needed to pull in more money to properly have people working on it. It did not end up making as much money and thus it was halted development wise.

Just don't act surprised when you hear this statement echoed about other versions of the game in the future.

1 minute ago, bdew said:

Just don't act surprised when you hear this statement echoed about other versions of the game in the future.

Except the steam version isnt a separate version. Its WO. Not to mention the servers can be accessed from the launcher without steam just not with already played characters.  

• Like 2

Except the steam version isnt a separate version. Its WO. Not to mention the servers can be accessed from the launcher without steam just not with already played characters.  

That's what said for now, but things change, circumstances.... etc.

39 minutes ago, Damascus said:

So its still two saperate game then's ?  but same version , unless they let you go back and forth like they did for Pristine and Release  at a later date ..

If not  then i see it bleeding players from WO ....if it is not opened later ...

They have said the servers will possibly be connected to all the current servers.

Deployment via Steam vs. the legacy way may differ though. They won't shut down the old servers, given their track record, I guess the concern would be that they ditch the "legacy client" though. In the very, very unlikely scenario that Steam users end up making up 99% of the playerbase and updating "the old way" is just an extra step not worth the time.

49 minutes ago, Jore said:

they're the same game; no extra dev time to update.

This is what Rolf originally said about WU as well. "Everyone should be playing  the same game" and "WU and WO share the same code".  Changes might come first to one or the other, he said,  but it was going to be pretty easy to keep both updated, Rolf said.

BDew is correct to counsel a degree of cynicism, about any company, and especially because of what CodeClub did in the case of WU.   WU brought in plenty of money at first, based in part on those reassurances that people were not simply getting a weak watered down version of Wurm that would never get updates. I do think later the staff realized they were way overconfident about their own abilities and were going to have way more problems handling both WO+WU than they first thought, plus realized as well that they had already squeezed all the revenue possible out of WU. So looking at "bang for the buck" -- they  cut the lines so to speak and sacrificed WU players, hoping that longterm the community would "get over it".  Will they? We just don't know yet. Right now excitement is pretty high for the new server. Later, some disillusionment is bound to set in, as CodeClub will have to weigh  honor vs profits regularly over time . It is, after all, a survival game

Personally, if push came to shove,  I would rather have Wurm Online survive another 5 years than not, even if as a predominately WU player I have promises broken, and even if i never log into a WO server again.  I can continue to enjoy WU very much even with no additional dev updates. Even if I don't ever play WO again, I like the idea of it staying alive. I don't think WU is going to die off as a result of these decisions, and could continue to get new players over time, simply because it will always be the better "bargain" for people on a budget, or wanting custom player made content. I can also very much understand people who feel betrayed.  And yes they could someday be faced with those same types of decisions on old versus new servers. I think they mean to keep the older servers going as a high priority no matter what; but I think the main focus from today on will be on future profits rather than old loyalties.  If it comes to that choice, and it actually becomes "either-or,"  I don't know yet which is the better course to take. 

But Bdew is right to at least remind people of Wurm history.  As I get old (I am in my 60s now), the more I regretfully understand that "Everybody lies", and "Trust no One." I am not sure yet what I am going to do myself, but I do think overall I can understand some of the thought processes in dropping WU in order to maximize WO profits.  In this case, I sadly think they over promised us back then, perhaps not intentionally in advance, and perhaps not the first time and perhaps not the last time. And perhaps not unusual in game development industry overall. 

I don't think they expected it to turn out the way it did, but I do think they are perfectly willing to just shrug and say Oh Well and just pretend to themselves that everything went according to plan.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 7
  • Cat 1

WU reminds me of games still in Beta or EA  , servers can be wiped at any time .

To me WO is about the community  the people who come and stay and the ones who go .

There is a fluid feel to it , like a neighborhood , always someone new moving in or out .

Or new year at school new people to like or hate ..

Without that feeling you may as well play in single player game ..

There is no feeling for community if you must start over all the time ..

It gets boring ...

If it come to push or shove i prefer WO merge over to steam if possible and remove the client we have now ..if so possible .

1 hour ago, Flubb said:

Deployment via Steam vs. the legacy way may differ though. They won't shut down the old servers, given their track record, I guess the concern would be that they ditch the "legacy client" though. In the very, very unlikely scenario that Steam users end up making up 99% of the playerbase and updating "the old way" is just an extra step not worth the time.

It doesn't differ much at all. Handling WU updates did take some time out of our hands, but the WO Steam client is the same as the regular client, only adding some Steam-only parts such as Steam authentication and Steam Store support instead of our versions of those systems. 

To clear the misconception (which is pretty clearly explained by the FAQ post), it's the same exact game, differing just in the account handling and monetization part, the Steam accounts being required to purchase premium and silver coins through the Steam services instead of our shop. Everything else is the same. All servers (including new ones) are accessible by all newly created characters. There's no exclusive features to the Steam client.

There's zero reason for us to treat all other WO servers differently than the upcoming servers. Sure, if you look hard enough you may find some far fetched analogies to WU being split off and the later announcement of the content updates there being discontinued, but it's not comparable at all, WU being a different product and all.

We've actually had the choice of splitting the new servers from the old ones, actually making the Steam version completely separate - this came with the RMT removal part. We could have left RMT as allowed in all of current Wurm Online, only disallow it on servers that'd come with the Steam release, which would force us to disconnect it all completely. We chose to not do that, despite the controversy of RMT removal, mainly because of it allowing us to extend any future marketing efforts as well as the Steam release to all of Wurm Online. And it left the door open to a future merge, if/when one happens.

It's one of my top priorities as Product Manager to ensure the viability and popularity of all servers, and we actually don't benefit more from bringing players to the new servers than the old ones, excluding the server launch opportunities themselves of course. You can rest assured there's not going to be any feature split there and after the Steam release we're going to focus equally on making all of Wurm succeed, not just the new lands. Myself, I'll be staying on Celebration :)

• Like 8
  • Cat 1