Sign in to follow this  
Liya

Desktop recommendations needed

My Asus Essentio died a few months ago and am in need of recommendations for a new desktop. My Asus overheated while playing Wurm so am looking for a pc that has a decent cooling system. My budget is $1000 max, preferably less as I will also need to buy a new monitor. My mother is the one buying the pc for me (bday gift), so I would prefer the desktop not have "gaming" in the title as she thinks it is for business purposes. I was just going to buy another Asus Essentio but they no longer make them sadly. Was looking at Dell G5, and a few from Acer but not sure if they would overheat. Would prefer dedicated graphics if possible. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/P7zMtp

Parts will work, ignore the warning about sizes and chipset, buying the parts and putting a pc together is going to be vastly cheaper than buying a pre-built with the same spec, building a computer is not difficult and lots of simple videos exist today on how build with basic parts. If you get a pre-built with these same parts expect $450+ added on for "labor" if you feel intimidated by building a PC go watch some videos on it and you will be surprised how simple it is.

All screws and wires needed come with their respective parts so no need to search beyond a screwdriver these days and how to installing windows onto the blank ssd also nothing listed as "gaming" which is a plus, also this build doesn't have all that RGB ugly lighting.

This build will run Wurm maxed out fully with 90fps+ at 1080p - 1440p

Edited by Jeston
  • Like 1

PCPartPicker is excellent and probably the very best BANG FOR BUCK,  but good luck getting Mom to feel comfortable there :)

IF the word "refurbished" does not scare you off, and if you think NewEgg would not scare MOM off,  this system has the word "gaming" in the title but LOOKS staid and middleclass enough to soothe a mother's heart, while being a perfectly adequate gaming machine, possibly matched with this monitor. Most of the customer reviews seem pretty happy with the desktop even refurbished, and NewEgg users tend to be a little more fussy about their computers than  national chain store customers. 

If refurbished is an absolute no-go, and Mom only feels comfortable with BEST BUY (shudder), this desktop is not the very best bang-for-buck yet seems a decent compromise between 'mainstream office' and gaming.  Yes it unfortunately says 'Gaming" but it does not look overly flashy and neon-colored, and is a national brand name only a Mom could properly trust.  Maybe paired with this monitor, which unfortunately is not a matching black but it is BIG, and the HP Omen does have some matching white trim.  Try to convince mom let you get "home delivery" and to NOT go into a store because some salesman will assuredly steer her straight to a generic underpowered "office" system.  If you feel comfortable popping open case on your own later, someday, try to add more ram for 16G total, but maybe try to buy secretly from NewEgg as I suspect Best Buy overcharges for ram.  Adding more ram is probably one of the easiest do-it-yourself upgrades, or find a nephew/neighbor willing to pop the case and do it for you.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post in such great depth! I have been doing a lot of research since my pc died and ended up feeling completely confused as I am unfortunately not very tech saavy and things have progressed so much since I got my last desktop nearly a decade ago. I am so grateful for your suggestions, and touched by your thoughtfulness in keeping my unique situation in mind! I will definitely give these all a look, and try to decide which option would be most suitable. I can't thank you enough for the advice!