Sign in to follow this  
zeeph

Steam Launch: Why always splitting the community?

1 hour ago, Jore said:

I mean it's just a poll. It goes without saying that it's not completely accurate, but the 100 some responses does give a general idea considering wurms current population lol. There's little reason for current players to not give the new servers a try; even if you don't stay, it's not like you lose anything. Join with some friends and screw around for a fun evening, then back to freedom.

But it isn't a random and therefore representative sample.  It is self-selected.  To view a representative result, all of the valid forum accounts that didn't respond should be included in the total under "don't know or don't care".  Problem is, don't know and don't care are two very different responses in the first place.  Public polls tell you what the people who feel strongly feel strongly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jore said:

I mean it's just a poll. It goes without saying that it's not completely accurate, but the 100 some responses does give a general idea considering wurms current population lol. There's little reason for current players to not give the new servers a try; even if you don't stay, it's not like you lose anything. Join with some friends and screw around for a fun evening, then back to freedom.

Accoding to the official data (https://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/weeklylogins.html) [Which the WO team is arguing as accurate (https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/175486-wsa-premium-player-count-graph-removal/)]  this sample is 1/30th of the population; or, being charitable, 1/10th at best (3 alts per player is excessive).  Is it representative?  We have no idea (stats 101).

The evidence collected in the sample SUGGESTS that 47.38% of players intend to give the new server a try; but it in no way confirms it.  There is a good reason to suspect bias of the sample (all respondants are forum users), which throws serious doubt on this result.

The only reason I referred to the poll, is because it was being used as "proof" that "not many" Wurm players were planning on trying the new server.   I was simply pointing out that the poll did NOT indicate that, but because players interested in trying the new server were spread across various answers, while the players refusing to try the new server were concentrated in ONE response, it gave the illusion the latter made up the largest group. The poll in fact demonstrated the opposite. 

Is the poll accurate? Who knows? It doesn't really matter whether we claim current players are interested or hostile to the decision  -- the new server is coming.  Rolf has been planning this for the greater part of a year now

No one will know for sure until July 24 if people are excited or completely disinterested. All anyone has to offer in the meantime is personal biases and anecdotal information. 

Just don't use the poll results as "proof" no one is interested in the new server, because that is the opposite of what the poll actually indicated.  

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

but it in no way confirms it.  There is a good reason to suspect bias of the sample (all respondants are forum users), which throws serious doubt on this result.

Lets not forget that only a small amount of players actually use the forums actively let alone actively comment we see the same small group of 40-50 players comment on almost every single thing throwing their weight around everywhere(me included)

Now at the time of writing this post only 114 people have voted that is still nearly nothing from the actual population its just us who are active on the forums
A poll done in a pre selected group of players will always favor the poll creators choices and is not a accurate representation of it at all

Sadly we will have to wait until launch day and first few months to see what happens but my money is on a lot of existing players will explore the new maps prem up a toon for a month or 2 find a little spot play for a bit before abandoning it because stuff back at home requires their full attention 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, wipeout said:

my money is on a lot of existing players will explore the new maps prem up a toon for a month or 2 find a little spot play for a bit before abandoning it because stuff back at home requires their full attention 

I think this is a strong possibility.  I think it might take a little longer, but paying upkeep on a mothballed deed will I think itch more and more over time, and those who would be willing to let the deed fall will be in the minority.

21 minutes ago, AAetius said:

I heard there will be a new UI?

See here

and here:

11 hours ago, wipeout said:

Sadly we will have to wait until launch day and first few months to see what happens but my money is on a lot of existing players will explore the new maps prem up a toon for a month or 2 find a little spot play for a bit before abandoning it because stuff back at home requires their full attention 

I think our best current representation of that was when Pristine/Release opened up. I remember some people doing as you said, but I also remember some people managed both deeds they had relatively well. I think if you already have an established enough deed, it's pretty easy to maintain things. Also, keep in mind a lot of people have more than 1 deed anyway. That concept's nothing new to Wurm. lol

There will also be people who spend more time on the new server and stay because it's something fresh. That's pretty much what I did back then but I also was burning myself out on the old servers at the time too. I have a reasonably established deed on Celebration this time around so that shouldn't be the issue for me, but I'll probably still really focus on my character on the steam server.

Edited by Lotus1

On 6/25/2020 at 11:13 PM, Brash_Endeavors said:

See here

Is that really how it is going to look/interact? with pop-ups happening every time your mouse hovers over something?

Will there be a way to disable that?

Edited by Draiodoir
  • Like 2

On 6/26/2020 at 10:41 AM, Lotus1 said:

I think our best current representation of that was when Pristine/Release opened up. I remember some people doing as you said, but I also remember some people managed both deeds they had relatively well. I think if you already have an established enough deed, it's pretty easy to maintain things. Also, keep in mind a lot of people have more than 1 deed anyway. That concept's nothing new to Wurm. lol

There will also be people who spend more time on the new server and stay because it's something fresh. That's pretty much what I did back then but I also was burning myself out on the old servers at the time too. I have a reasonably established deed on Celebration this time around so that shouldn't be the issue for me, but I'll probably still really focus on my character on the steam server.

When Pristine launched we still had account selling so I personally met a fair amount of old players who just played Pristine to either make silver and sell it to vets on the old cluster for stuff on the old cluster or it was vets who made a good starter account and sold it off to someone.

56 minutes ago, Object said:

When Pristine launched we still had account selling so I personally met a fair amount of old players who just played Pristine to either make silver and sell it to vets on the old cluster for stuff on the old cluster or it was vets who made a good starter account and sold it off to someone.

That doesn't account for everyone though. In fact, I'd argue that most people I met at the time weren't even thinking this. I'm sure a few were, but clearly not everyone.

The other thing to consider too is there are a lot of toons now at the point where people are going "what now?" when it comes to training. You mention you have a skill somewhere and 1089034917 other people have the exact same skill. That is also a new factor to consider this time. There's no more "diversity" on the old servers.

Edited by Lotus1

Say has anyone thought to the idea of one large server with half being Freedom and the other half being PMK/Epic, now that would be cool as a Steam Server where both the PVE and PVP were one the same server but divided in half, maybe a mountain chain across the Island dividing it in half and at certain points would be player deed and tunnels to the other side like border crossings, maybe this would be a way to keep from dividing the player base. Keep skill gains the same for everyone.

11 minutes ago, ArthurHawkwing said:

Say has anyone thought to the idea of one large server with half being Freedom and the other half being PMK/Epic, now that would be cool as a Steam Server where both the PVE and PVP were one the same server but divided in half, maybe a mountain chain across the Island dividing it in half and at certain points would be player deed and tunnels to the other side like border crossings, maybe this would be a way to keep from dividing the player base. Keep skill gains the same for everyone.

I have a hard time seeing this work if mainly due to the fact that it could potentially wreck havoc on the permissions systems. If the whole idea would be to "include" the pvpers, why not just have a GL chat that includes both the pvp and pve servers? Wouldn't that be much easier?

Edited by Lotus1

4 hours ago, Lotus1 said:

I have a hard time seeing this work if mainly due to the fact that it could potentially wreck havoc on the permissions systems. If the whole idea would be to "include" the pvpers, why not just have a GL chat that includes both the pvp and pve servers? Wouldn't that be much easier?

It would just be a pvp server with 2 zones 1 that allows pvp 1 that disallows pvp it can and has been done in wu servers many times before where there are either save zones around starting towns or specific islands that are neutral grounds for events on pvp servers and the likes

in the end the permission system works fine with a mixed environment like that its more over that pmk's can wreck havoc to it so you would have to resort to either handing out independence documents yourself as a gm or disallow pmks and have the 3 kingdoms next to freedom with a neutral area where players can switch

But such a server would be interesting to have so long as the no pvp zone is restricted to freedom kingdom only and other kingdoms can still pvp in it that way they cant just run into the no pvp zone while they are being chased by enemies and the likes so it might require some feature tweaking but not too much

On 6/23/2020 at 2:32 PM, Etherdrifter said:

There is a lot of assumption here.

1.  Wurm steam will be a success

2.  The cluster join will occur before the original servers enter the "cluster collapse" phase of mmorpg death (we were there about 6 months ago, but we've pulled back after player gods were nixed), at which point they'll be "ghost towns"

3.  High skill players won't exist on the steam server before the join (hint: they probably will, because $_$), so why go explore a lootless ghost town when you can enjoy home comforts?

4.  Player loss to the new steam server will be offset by the player gain from steam (short term yes, long term probably not)

5.  Players on an empty server will keep playing (edited in)

My personal hypothesis on this matter is well known (the original cluster is *palmed*), but I'm holding out hope that when the old servers die they'll let us transfer ourselves over with full skills intact.

i agree, i reduced my deeds to 1 small, storing all my stuff. see you all again when they merge.

Every new server launch there's always people who say it's gonna kill Wurm and then it never happens.  I prefer to stay optimistic because the gaming population keeps climbing.  Pair that with the quarantine, I legitimately think Steam launch is going to see the highest peak in new players.

I also think we're going to get a LOT of trolls as well, so beware the flood of free players, the froobs.