Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

Boat tunnel connection from E21 to Shimmer Lake now complete

Tonight, we opened the boat tunnel in south to north direction, so that there is now a direct shipping lane from Lake Selkie - MK Tunnel to Shimmer Lake and to the Lormere area. Thanks to Aske for all his work, and to Mavodo and a couple I did not meet for their help. Work is still going on, concerning the road connection, and several other veins to clean. Help still appreciated.

Infos about the tunnel here

Edited by Ekcin
typo
  • Like 3

Congratulations. Always nice to see a big infrastructure project successfully completed. :)

• Like 1

Some news from the tunnel project: While Aske is working on the road into the western high mountains (F/G20 area) I opened up a road tunnel exit north of the tunnel in the little desert in eastern F21:

6NmQHNy.jpg

The blue line shows the exit tunnel (30 tiles up from the tunnel road level, and the highway fit double tile exit. I made an exit road 3 tiles wide slope 20 in northeastern direction to the northeastern hilltop (yellow line). It is packed but not paved and could be connected to the northwest oriented road  in the northeast, or to the east-west running one in the north to make highway connections with deeds in the E21/22 area once the tunnel highway is ready (white lines). 

The tunnel entrance looks like this now:

NyruFD6.jpg

Getting there was quite tricky. The tunnel up went smooth with only one resource vein (now gone) in the way. Creating the exit prove hard as the rock layer was not as gently sloped as the surface but was spiked and hunched sloping up and down in vicious ways. That made it necessary to expose rock on 5x4 to first flatten by surface mining then raising a 2x2 area with concrete. My thanks to Killerspike from my Lake Vrock Alliance without his advice and assistance I would never have achieved that.

Some views of the construction site:

4256sK6.jpg

Digging out the fifth x4 row (to elevate the rock layer to be able to mine into the tunnel)

EBNKveM.jpg

Tunnel exit done, northmost 4 tiles filled with sand to 20 slope up

Ok, the rest was a lot of digging, but is a sandbox game, after all  :) .

Assistance would still be highly welcomed. Especially support beams for the tunnel floors are missing.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

A few more updates about the project. Today, I completed reinforcing floors on the tunnel roadway end to end (also up to northern end in the middle). Thanks to Mavodo providing over 170 beams, also of course Aske who laid those (and a few more).

IuaQkUf.jpg

This was the meeting of westbound reinforcements laid by me and eastbound ones laid by Aske.

Also, I started to catseye towards the T junction of tunnel and northern exit after Aske laid the catseyes from Bos Harbor to the eastern tunnel entrance.

M4WFvPT.jpg

At the T junction, I planted a waystone together with a (publicly accessible) wagoner container.

IJuAKQh.jpg

Catseyes extend bit further west and up to the northern tunnel entrance.

bIP8rjs.jpg

aseLyul.jpgm

Below a look at the western end where it goes up to the desert where Aske is working on the highway into the western mountains:

pLwzpZB.jpg

I want to announce that I am about to leave the area, leaving the task of creating nice pavements etc to the locals. The workers' shed in the desert with 2 beds, enchanted grass, altars of WL gods, and a mailbox, will stay functional for quite a time. In case of permission issues contact me or Aske. 

FKfYPpv.jpg

EeatbOu.jpg

Edited by Ekcin
typo
  • Like 1