Sign in to follow this  
Bathilda

Recycling of building materials

Hi there,

Whilst making sandstone bricks, I wondered why you can't reclaim bricks from demolishing walls. I think this would be a brilliant addition. Maybe some bricks would be damaged in the destroying process, but you should be able to get some back. You can reclaim and reuse bricks in the real world and I love Wurm for the realism. PLEASE consider.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Bathilda
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bathilda said:

Hi there,

Whilst making sandstone bricks, I wondered why you can reclaim bricks from demolishing walls. I think this would be a brilliant addition. Maybe some bricks would be damaged in the destroying process, but you should be able to get some back. You can reclaim and reuse bricks in the real world and I love Wurm for the realism. PLEASE consider.

Keep up the good work!

Why not?
U can already smelt items..

• Like 1

I am in favour of this - it fits very well with the tech level.  Historically, worked stone in particular has been recovered and reused in building for millenia.

However, it has been suggested many times before and seems to always attract objections that this stuff is easy to obtain so there is no need to recycle it.  Personally, I find that approach wasteful.  

Edited by TheTrickster

I know brick sellers may have issues with it , but if you made the reclaimed bricks notrade would that help ...

This is a good idea that has been suggested before ... keep it up .          🙂

I think the concept of a no-trade mechanic would be a complexity that would decrease the chances of this happening.

In regards to brick sellers, I see little impact.

I assume you would need permissions on a building to do this, so that negates people salvaging buildings from the wild.

For the person demolishing a wall to get say maybe 20% of the bricks back (and I do think it should be limited), this is the same person who would likely make their own bricks.

I would see this done in the minority of cases, perhaps someone adjusting an existing building, or someone who accidently built the wrong wall type.

Whereas someone like me, would still be buying bricks to build entirely new buildings and deeds. And in this scenario I would be starting from dirt without a collection of buildings to recycle.

Edited by Treadwell
  • Like 1