Sign in to follow this  
Ayuna

Empty chairs and empty tables.. Why?

Something that got me thinking... There is a potential in Wurm that does not get utilized. Why?

I see empty chairs anywhere, IRL or not, and I get sad.

As an avid explorer, I find so many large villas and houses with ample chairs, tables, and gathering places... beautiful gardens with benches...

I feel like most, if not all of it, never actually gets "used". Players build enormous halls and spaces, but no other soul will ever set foot upon them or sit in its chairs. Why is this?

With the ability of our avatars to sit down, the social aspect of Wurm has become more immersive (with the upcoming chat bubble update, it will become even more so.) 

There is much potential for proper social gatherings, dinner parties, birthday parties, etc. But even at Impalongs, I've never seen players sit down together and chat. Or actually utilize a ship's ample seating and take a fun ride together. Why is this?

Other MMOs with a prominent social focus really utilize these things. Tables and chairs/couches/duvans are used all the time.

What is it that makes us reluctant to really be social with our avatars?

• Like 3

We aren't used to them yet. They are a relatively new thing you see

Maybe try and promote their usage at events? Hand out free chairs and whatnot at the impalong? 

I think they would suit a RP community better?

I can chat just fine stood up and I don't have to waste time sitting down lol.

I very rarely actually sit in Wurm.

bc everyone wants to live in own deed and lots dont want someone live in their deed. Hell, people even want to have cross server wagoner to not leave deed. I never had own deed, always live with someone, and i like it. Seeing activity not only on rifts or slayings is cool.

Maybe if there was some kind of deed bonus if it have lots of villagers, but it can be abused by lots of toons. But again, is it a problem? more toons - more premium, more cash for devs - they work more.

Edited by Pankivtanke

I use them on occasion usually while grinding on leatherworking.

wurm.20200315.2358_1.png

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Katrat said:

I use them on occasion usually while grinding on leatherworking.

Love this.

I have a stool outside my door, and I just dropped a chair there as well.  I think I will have to adopt one or he other for leatherwork, tailoring and "whitling".

Wurm needs rocking chairs next.

• Like 2

my favourite thing is grinding smithing while sitting

after a couple of hours the game will flood your event tab with 20 messages a second telling you you're out of sync with the server and to move slower

• Like 5

Maybe we need villager NPCs that can populate everything that is built.

They could spawn by something that is built. Like tower guards.

Or via a buying a contract. Like merchants and traders.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Ayuna said:

Something that got me thinking... There is a potential in Wurm that does not get utilized. Why?

I see empty chairs anywhere, IRL or not, and I get sad.

As an avid explorer, I find so many large villas and houses with ample chairs, tables, and gathering places... beautiful gardens with benches...

I feel like most, if not all of it, never actually gets "used". Players build enormous halls and spaces, but no other soul will ever set foot upon them or sit in its chairs. Why is this?

With the ability of our avatars to sit down, the social aspect of Wurm has become more immersive (with the upcoming chat bubble update, it will become even more so.) 

There is much potential for proper social gatherings, dinner parties, birthday parties, etc. But even at Impalongs, I've never seen players sit down together and chat. Or actually utilize a ship's ample seating and take a fun ride together. Why is this?

Other MMOs with a prominent social focus really utilize these things. Tables and chairs/couches/duvans are used all the time.

What is it that makes us reluctant to really be social with our avatars?

They are purely decorative, you get no fatigue recovered by sitting or going to bed(besides normal when you do not use such), no benefit to sit on a chair/bench when working on something  -  pointless to make use of them for other than RP or screenshots.

Usability is not there, these are 100% decoration items.

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

Usability is not there, these are 100% decoration items.

Usability not there? i beg to differ ;)

• Cat 1

1 hour ago, wipeout said:

Usability not there? i beg to differ ;)

necro freedomer clay pot maker

• Like 1

I'd like to see something added to where if there is an empty chair on a tile and you haven't moved in a few minutes (afk 5 minutes) it will auto sit your character in the empty chair on that tile.  Then when you move you just stand up and go like normal without having to press a hotkey to get up.

Be a good addition along with sheathing weapons and shields.

• Like 5

Yeah, I've seen that people seem to be more focused on increasing their skills or having some sort of payoff for an action.   That and also you don't have to be right next to someone to talk to them.  So you don't have to be sat down facing someone to see their words and what have you.

On games such as Second Life for example, the people there will use the objects to sit down and interact with the world around them (Maybe not all of them mind but the majority).   Maybe the style of wurm which is more timer based and not as interactive might factor in as well. 

I invited one of my real life friends to come and play wurm and she plays wurm totally differently to everyone else who I have met.  She does not care about skills or increasing stats...etc but instead she cares about interacting with the world itself.   She can come online and go for a swim in the village pond that she built or she might gaze up at the trees and see how pretty and wonderful they are to look at.  Then she wants to plant her own trees and sit down on a nice bench over looking the pond.     She even had a go in the rowing boat.  All just for the fun of it.  To mess around.  To experience and interact with the world.  No reason for doing those things.   It was just something she liked to do.

It was nice to have her come and visit now and again because she was different from everyone else who I met who was more goal based.   I mean, I normally came on wurm and I just had project after project to do.  Buildings to make, mats to create, land to change....etc..etc.   There did not seem to be any sort of break from that.   I was either doing work or I was talking to someone else who was doing work (Projects/skills..etc)  or even talking about future plans and goals.  There did not seem to be any sort of stopping and just interacting with the world or messing around with some sort of silly fun.

I've had a few moments with mostly new players where I had a break from projects and just messed around.  Like the time when I went running off the top of a really tall building and into the water below.  With other villagers in the town.   While another person was watching in their boat and another person was in the water taking pictures and another person was jumping off with me. 

Those kind of moments were more special to me at least then the moments of being stood in front of a large crate creating non stop mortar and stone bricks to create a building.

I don't mind doing those goal things but it would be nice to have more interaction, more games, more social stuff now and again.  Just messing around for no other reason then messing around.

Edited by Zexos
  • Like 8

49 minutes ago, Zexos said:

I don't mind doing those goal things but it would be nice to have more interaction, more games, more social stuff now and again.  Just messing around for no other reason then messing around.

I've recommended adding board games like chess, checkers, backgammon and dice a few times to introduce more social things to do with others.  Hope one day this will be added.  Want to travel to different servers challenging people at chess.  Chair usage would go up for sure.  :D

• Like 3

I think it's a matter of practicality. I chat with people in my alliance (though fewer people login these days), but no one gathers to sit in chairs to chat as chat is part of the multitasking that is done along with crafting, improving, and working on the deed, etc... I can see how it might be more practical from an RP perspective though. Is there an RP community within Wurm?

That said, guards wander, swim, and use gates... I'd like to see them use chairs and benches too.

Edited by Whane
  • Like 1

I intentionally built my keep to be more like a social gathering area. Feasting hall and all where people could sit, eat, drink and chat to their hearts content. I even have tons of food. lol  I don't think you have to be strictly RP to be social in Wurm.

wurm.20200515.2220.jpg?width=761&height=

• Like 1

It would be nice to have chairs etc. have some kind of minor, yet useful, function. Maybe something like: 

• 5% boost to healing rate while sitting/reclining
  • 2% boost to skillgain when crafting while sitting
  • 6% boost to nutrition / satiation when eating while sitting
  • 5% slower Sleeptime bonus use when sitting
  • 1% increased chance of rares when crafting while sitting

What do you think?  Perhaps even do something similar to the settlement bonuses that get bigger the longer the settlement is continuously established. So the longer a chair sits in the same spot the more the bonuses are? Of course, a chair would have to sit in one place for several RL months for a noticeable increase in the bonuses. But that could be your "crafting corner" or whatever. 

46 minutes ago, Zephyr40k said:

It would be nice to have chairs etc. have some kind of minor, yet useful, function. Maybe something like: 

• 5% boost to healing rate while sitting/reclining
  • 2% boost to skillgain when crafting while sitting
  • 6% boost to nutrition / satiation when eating while sitting
  • 5% slower Sleeptime bonus use when sitting
  • 1% increased chance of rares when crafting while sitting

What do you think?  Perhaps even do something similar to the settlement bonuses that get bigger the longer the settlement is continuously established. So the longer a chair sits in the same spot the more the bonuses are? Of course, a chair would have to sit in one place for several RL months for a noticeable increase in the bonuses. But that could be your "crafting corner" or whatever. 

1 word

TOO *********ing OP as *********

so -1, #no (missing to explain how the numbers you suggest are high.. but if you check what gives such bonuses.. and to give that much for just sitting... you want to turn the game into "Sitting Online"😬, it just makes it so you'd like and beg devs next to be able to farm while sitting because you're missing so much compared to other players constantly dipping into all these bonuses)

Lets just keep it to 2-3-5-10% less used stamina and/or faster recovery of such, slower hunter tick maybe..as you will be using less energy sitting;

Based on type of chair(complexity) effects could be slower or higher.. and for all vehicles.. it could be flat mid-range setting cart/boat/wagon

** also 50% or less of that bonus to PoPs as they are already dipping deep into the stamina well

--edit

in addition... sitting/sleeping could(should) be regaining fatigue faster than normal

Edited by Finnn

On 6/30/2020 at 6:47 PM, Zephyr40k said:

5% boost to healing rate while sitting/reclining

I like this idea. Resting should speed up healing in some way.

• Like 1

Everytime I pass by the lakes and gulfs in the Esteron area on Xanadu, I visit Relto, sit on a bench and admire the view across the water towards Eletha: https://pasteboard.co/Jab7IIf.png 

I think it would be nice if there were some benefits to sitting. Some ideas in addition to what was already mentioned above:

• noticeable bonus if you write sitted at a table (so the paper placed on the table and the player seated) - say like +100 chars if writing on a table +100 if also seated? I think this would be very realistic.
  • a rest bonus for reduced stamina usage for a while
  • make it possible to meditate with an increased timer and lower skillgain on benches - imagine sitting and seeing the view from the picture I attached :D
Edited by Idlamn

On 6/30/2020 at 4:33 PM, Finnn said:

1 word

TOO *********ing OP as *********

so -1, #no (missing to explain how the numbers you suggest are high.. but if you check what gives such bonuses.. and to give that much for just sitting... you want to turn the game into "Sitting Online"😬, it just makes it so you'd like and beg devs next to be able to farm while sitting because you're missing so much compared to other players constantly dipping into all these bonuses)

L

Erm… lol?  Not where I was going at all with that. But OK. 

These changes would not necessarily 'encourage sitting' as you assert, it would encourage changes from standing to sitting and back. It would also make currently-cosmetic items in the game have some in-game usefulness, if even an extremely minor one. OK so cut those suggested bonuses by half or 2/3 if you think that's less "OP."   Basically make it on the same level as affinity bonus / faith bonus / sleep bonus. 

And no, after over a decade of playing this game I don't beg devs.  Cool it on the histrionics. 

Edited by Zephyr40k

On 6/18/2020 at 1:35 PM, Zexos said:

Yeah, I've seen that people seem to be more focused on increasing their skills or having some sort of payoff for an action.   That and also you don't have to be right next to someone to talk to them.  So you don't have to be sat down facing someone to see their words and what have you.

On games such as Second Life for example, the people there will use the objects to sit down and interact with the world around them (Maybe not all of them mind but the majority).   Maybe the style of wurm which is more timer based and not as interactive might factor in as well. 

I invited one of my real life friends to come and play wurm and she plays wurm totally differently to everyone else who I have met.  She does not care about skills or increasing stats...etc but instead she cares about interacting with the world itself.   She can come online and go for a swim in the village pond that she built or she might gaze up at the trees and see how pretty and wonderful they are to look at.  Then she wants to plant her own trees and sit down on a nice bench over looking the pond.     She even had a go in the rowing boat.  All just for the fun of it.  To mess around.  To experience and interact with the world.  No reason for doing those things.   It was just something she liked to do.

It was nice to have her come and visit now and again because she was different from everyone else who I met who was more goal based.   I mean, I normally came on wurm and I just had project after project to do.  Buildings to make, mats to create, land to change....etc..etc.   There did not seem to be any sort of break from that.   I was either doing work or I was talking to someone else who was doing work (Projects/skills..etc)  or even talking about future plans and goals.  There did not seem to be any sort of stopping and just interacting with the world or messing around with some sort of silly fun.

I've had a few moments with mostly new players where I had a break from projects and just messed around.  Like the time when I went running off the top of a really tall building and into the water below.  With other villagers in the town.   While another person was watching in their boat and another person was in the water taking pictures and another person was jumping off with me. 

Those kind of moments were more special to me at least then the moments of being stood in front of a large crate creating non stop mortar and stone bricks to create a building.

Funny enough i have never any high skill values besides fighting to protect myself from mobs have only got one character to load objects once and basically like to travel around and see all the great deeds and projects and scenery there is in the game .. Wurm has been a very special experience for me compared to the other games out there and really have enjoyed my time here.. and only when i have a need for a skill do i improve it not just for the sake of grinding it.. but i do respect people that do cuz that is alot of hard work.. and commend people on their accomplishments and feel alot of pride in the community when people achieve such goals.. so glad there are limitless ways to approach Wurm and the creators (thanks very much) did an excellent job of leaving it without limits..

• Like 2

On 6/18/2020 at 12:48 PM, Madnath said:

my favourite thing is grinding smithing while sitting

after a couple of hours the game will flood your event tab with 20 messages a second telling you you're out of sync with the server and to move slower

I recall me and this Madman was sitting on our chairs during some games at an impalong a few years back (maybe?). Was good fun until Mad got mad and put his chair in his hand over a lost locker at the storage wars mr @Gumbohosted.

I applaud more sitting!

1 hour ago, Nordlys said:

I recall me and this Madman was sitting on our chairs during some games at an impalong a few years back (maybe?). Was good fun until Mad got mad and put his chair in his hand over a lost locker at the storage wars mr @Gumbohosted.

I applaud more sitting!

It's all fun and games until someone wields a chair.