Sign in to follow this  
atazs

Make nights darker!

Ok seriously, what's been going on?

Does anyone remember how nights used to be actually dark and you needed a light source?

I'm talking about:

5A5AB2D1BFB1C8B5388698643A6A2B3448B6DA8D

AE2416D934E88AC1D9B8D79CF3EFBA1F1DA10D1A

AE0CE0CF8FBDB6B53363328B385343D90CD641C2

70F0FF19980D1E36E0D3286F1EEFABF353D55410

And today at 8pm wurm time:

5F5FF93AF175B0A787CE2639786EAB027B514A45

6D9B72244A9162CE292181E444D8540188D5D250

9pm Wurm time, no light source on character:

0662809423FDBADAE98D7A19D3A0D022907C56E6

What happened? Even WoW nights are darker than this!

They seriously need to be darker. My fondest memories of Wurm are when it was dark and you had to plan your journey, and gameplay, and wander carefully at night, you definietly neede to bring a lantern with you. 

Meanwhile i haven't used a lantern in almost a decade because it has become so bright

Edited by atazs
  • Like 12
  • Cat 1

+1

Most lighting is obsolete now simply because wurm is too bright. Even in a cave it's barely needed anymore.

How do you suggest to sail and travel at all during night time?

Use only highways and generally when it's night -> never travel out of deed, great QoL, but why?

If you feel like not seeing anything, just lower game client brightness and enjoy your darkness - seeing nothing unless you supremebone a ql99snow lantern with purest white.. hardcore, are we aiming for that?🤔

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Finnn said:

How do you suggest to sail and travel at all during night time?

Use only highways and generally when it's night -> never travel out of deed, great QoL, but why?

If you feel like not seeing anything, just lower game client brightness and enjoy your darkness - seeing nothing unless you supremebone a ql99snow lantern with purest white.. hardcore, are we aiming for that?🤔

We did it before the game became artificially brightened, no?
Mining was more dangerous and required at least minimal planning of light sources, keeping your lanterns fueled was important, and we could still navigate via our own lanterns. QL was important for lightsource strength too.

On top of this, you can get blessed lamps on the modern highway system iirc, so again if people would plan their infrastructure it would still be a great mechanic for darkness to be relevant.

Now it's basically just obsolete. You could remove all light sources in wurm and there'd be no mechanical impact because darkness is obsolete.

Edited by paterso
  • Like 1

i just hate when ppl play on crap graphics settings on their crap laptops and cry that nights are not dark enough.. Dude, set the graphics to max, enable all shadowing etc and you will soon see that the nights are pitch black already. When the moon shines it gives a bit of visibility as it SHOULD! Everything is as it should be already and it defo shouldn't be just black screen. if i wanted that i would open MS paint, fill the background black and stare at it. 

To sum up, -1 ;)

Edited by shakys
Moderation Edit
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Skatyna said:

i just hate when ppl play on crap graphics settings on their crap laptops and cry that nights are not dark enough.. Dude, set the graphics to max, enable all shadowing etc and you will soon see that the nights are pitch black already. When the moon shines it gives a bit of visibility as it SHOULD! Everything is as it should be already and it defo shouldn't be just black screen. if i wanted that i would open MS paint, fill the background black and stare at it. 

To sum up, -1 ;)

This is not true. The game is not dark at all in comparison to what it used to be. Nights do need to be darker. Caves especially need to be darker. With no light source, caves should be a black screen. 

I started playing Sea of Thieves and they recently made the game darker at night and in caves and it really increased the immersion factor by a lot. It makes you need to use the lantern to see anything.

Please bring back the dark!!

Edited by shakys
Moderation Edit of quote
  • Like 5
  • Cat 1

In 2009 I logged in to the game for the first time and it was night and foggy ...   I saw only blue lines and nothing else. I uninstalled it..  

Can you imagine how many other people did the same thing as me?

Only because I had a friend in game, he persuaded me to play again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ryaanna said:

In 2009 I logged in to the game for the first time and it was night and foggy ...   I saw only blue lines and nothing else. I uninstalled it..  

Can you imagine how many other people did the same thing as me?

Only because I had a friend in game, he persuaded me to play again.

Well you start with a light source as a newbie, it lasts 24 hours of gametime and turns on by itself in the dark. On top of this, outside of starting on a fresh server, you will generally always spawn in extremely built-up locations where there is lightsources galore,  and this isn't 2009 anymore, you have a CA chat for help, and global chats for talking to everyone else too, rather than just the local kingdom chat.

• Like 1

giving this a huge thumbs down. you can make your settings darker if you want to go fumbling around in the dark. the devs give us gorgeous lighting and all you can do is whinge? pffft

• Like 3

It really does feel like Wurm nights got stuck in permanent Swedish midsummer eve settings.

I play with max settings and I even have lowered the brightness, but it's still not close to the nights it was before the lightning update. 

Don't get me wrong, the sky is beautiful and stars and moons and all the things, but bring in some real clouds every now and then, some real autumn pitch black nights!

2 hours ago, Ryaanna said:

This is 2020 and starter town is always brightly lit ;) 

5 minutes ago, DaletheGood said:

you can make your settings darker

You can also make it brighter... By default, nights should be nights, not eveningmornings.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skatyna said:

To sum up, -1 ;)

Just for fun, i set every graphics setting to absolute maximum 

[06:25:36] It is 03:49:40 on day of Sleep in week 4 of the starfall of the Saw in the year of 1093.

abfccc0a1e8da52608952e0001950624.jpg

ad909b220dab94536edc2fbd0da19f8f.jpg

when does it become pitch black, i have no light source on me in that image and my deed has 0 lighting, it's actually darker with graphics set to low

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 6

I too have found night to not be as dark as it used to.  Also don't know if its just me, but going into a mine without lights is much darker now.

No nights anymore just darker days. It is quite unnatural that all the details are still visible at night, I don't even bring around my shiny white lamp anymore. Simply got useless unfortunately. but yes, mines at least got a bit darker.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Yeah mines aren't as dark as they were back in like gold-2, but they're acceptably dark. Everything outside though, the ambient light is just way too strong by default. Lowering brightness as a setting on our client means lowering brightness of lamps and lanterns too, which defeats the purpose.
I return to much darker nights would be a much better immersion factor imo, it's not like this is DayZ where your nights are realtime, if you're a newbie with 25 hours game-time and no lantern, you just stay at home for like 90 minutes or setup a campfire where you're mining.

• Like 1

Yes, I'd like the nights to be darker as well.

I want the light sourced to matter.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, computer hardware seems to play a role somehow. I'm no tech person, but I have multiple computers I run Wurm from, and each provides a different brightness at the end of the day - even when Wurm graphics settings are set the same on each computer.

Regardless, is there not enough latitude in the settings to make it how you want as far as being dark? Seems like we have plenty of ability to adjust that from player to player, so we all get what we want.

3 minutes ago, Alpengeist said:

For what it's worth, computer hardware seems to play a role somehow. I'm no tech person, but I have multiple computers I run Wurm from, and each provides a different brightness at the end of the day - even when Wurm graphics settings are set the same on each computer.

Regardless, is there not enough latitude in the settings to make it how you want as far as being dark? Seems like we have plenty of ability to adjust that from player to player, so we all get what we want.

Adjusting settings means crippling the brightness of light sources themselves. You can't actually change the ambient brightness, which is what needs lowered to improve the effectiveness of light sources and make unlit areas more dark.
If we just change settings we'll just ruin it all.
#BringBackDarkWurm

• Like 1

Hey! This is on our radar to address, the new skies are awesome but there is definitely too much light around. 

Expect to see some tweaks with this as time goes on. 

• Like 11

That's good to hear. Thanks for the heads up 

I smell a lot of "pitch black nights are more realistic" in the comments above.  I don't know where you people live, but if it isn't in a cave I don't believe you.

In the middle of nowhere on an overcast night with a new moon, it is not pitch black.  It's dark; darker than Wurm nights, but not black.  Wurm could stand to be darker outdoors at night, but just a day or two ago I sailed into someone's underground dock (was looking for a canal) and all I could see were vague textures and just enough shimmer on the water to tell when I was pointed vaguely at the tunnel leading out.  I have had similar happen on land; went into a cave/mine and got attacked by a lurking Troll and couldn't find the way out in a hurry.

No one is asking for pitch black, only much darker. The images shown for reference aren't even pitch black, they're just darker. The point is that the ambient light in the game is so strong now that lights near obsolete outside of caves. better darkness means lights are more useful, be it for decoration or helping you see.

• Like 1

Yes, please make nights a bit darker. I love the new, brighter nights - feels like moonlight - but they're a little bit too bright.

15 minutes ago, paterso said:

No one is asking for pitch black

7 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

With no light source, caves should be a black screen. 

4 hours ago, Shmeric said:

but bring in some real clouds every now and then, some real autumn pitch black nights!

🤔

42 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

🤔

I think you knew what I meant lol. The original post isn't showing a black screen, even I myself said yeah caves are fairly dark, it's the ambient surface light that is the problem.

• Like 1