Sign in to follow this  
Blablagame

Is living on a boat common?

Hi there! 
I've played the game in like 2017 for a short time and then got turned off by the skillcap.
I was in a Deed on Xanadu which I enjoyed being in, inexperienced as I was, and managed to build myself a small rowing boat and a mooring anchor, which I used to travel back to the deed that I originally started at on Release. Unfortunately there was no Canal to Lake Wyvern so I just told my friend who wanted to play to join on Release and because I traveled with someone else who needed help (with masonry), we both set up a tent and stayed for a few hours, before making our way back to the deed in Xanadu, and this was the best experience during the time I was playing.

After I got too demotivated from being limited by both the skillcap and my fear of doing something wrong on the deed I decided to pay 30 dollars for WU (instead of the 8 monthly for premium) and had alot of fun with it, and gained alot of experience on how to play the game and do stuff

Now that the Steam launch is coming closer, and that I learned more and more about the game, I'm considering to start playing WO again (on a new account ofcourse), but I wanted to play as a sort of traveling merchant that lives on a boat as I quite liked that lifestyle, and I'm wondering if "alot" of players do that and if they earn enough to pay for the monthly premium, or if you could reach that and how difficult it would be

you can not cook, sleep or craft/continue most of things.. but there are a few exceptions... recent change allows you to improve/repair while sailing without losing stamina as you sail.. opens a lot of possibilities with that.. 

You can load creatures like horses/bisons in creature cages to pull a cart/wagon if you need such and travel with them.. although .. I do not recommend keeping them in the cages for long, as cages take damage while they contain a creature*

Besides that.. you just need to sail from A to B, whatever the reason for that might be.. and you can unload a forge/oven or other stuff you sail with and use them on land whenever you need them and moor on some shore.

You'll have more downsides being constantly offdeed sailing and having to cook your meals often as you need them.. but that's not the end of the world.

NO clue what you mean by traveling merchant and what you expect or wish to trade for/with, but generally you need to find your niche market in the niche game to be successful, if somebody tells you what to do here.. another 10-20 people will try same market and you'll be all competing for it :) good luck

Well in theory you can, but however it's very limiting... You can moor on shore everytime you want to sleep and use bedroll to sleep to replenish sb but unless you're using festive version you will only get it at 75% speed, things will decay faster when ofdeed, you will have limited space to pack everything you need, you can't smith or cook on boat but would have to unload forge to shore, cant keep animals on the longterm... If you gonna make camps and stop to play in area and move after being bored can be fun but on the long term as living bot sure how uncomfortable it can be

• Like 1

in short.. join some open village who's rules you can follow and when you can - do your own thing.. travel around, do your random hire jobs around the wurm 'globe' and when you get 'home sick' get back to that 1 place you can call home - build up skills or do random other things.

While you're at @home-deed you'll have 0 decay on boat+contents, relatively 0 decay when you travel to some place.. and moor at a deeded land of the owner that have hired you or local friendly person who wouldn't mind your beautiful or ugly as .... boat parked there for a while :) (you'll face a lot of opinions about your boat, learn to ignore them)

It can be a bit of a hassle but if you like and enjoy it,it will be worth it in the end and you will get used to the things as you go along.

Go for it!

Some of the BEST experiences in all of Wurm are when you have no home and little belongings and have to survive daily.

• Like 2

You'd need at least a corbita and 23 body strength to load/unload stuff, even then, a corbita may still not be able to hold a lot of loaded items, as you'd need at least:

1 Forge 

1 Oven (you might do without it)

Crates or BSBs

FSB

Creature cages to transport animals

And more.

You might need at least a cog to effectively store and transport items and live off of them.

Also items decay a lot faster in a boat than on deed.

Edited by atazs

I think what I meant by "living on a boat" was more that I would sail somewhere and camp there to restock and then go to the next place

I really like Finnn's Idea to travel from deed to deed for work and return to that one deed I can call home, I just don't know if I can find work if I barely have any skills, I heard a good way to get money was bricks/planks and support beams, but from what I've seen on the Marketplace it's almost always a pick up or delivery thing, which I could probably do on my current deed until I have premium and the skills for a big boat, however

as Eyesgood said: "Some of the BEST experiences in all of Wurm are when you have no home and little belongings and have to survive daily."
I wanted to survive with as little as I could (with being a "freelancer" that'd be quite alot I'd imagine), and be able to just set up my simple camp wherever I found a place to work I guess, the merchant idea was just so I could get those 10s/month

(you'll face a lot of opinions about your boat, learn to ignore them) @Finnnwhat do you mean by that? 😧

I do this a lot and sail around all the servers.  It's boring sitting on deed.  It's called my "nomad" set.  Have a knarr loaded with:

• large cart
  • animal cage
  • forge
  • oven
  • smelter
  • bunch of large crates
  • bed (if I make a small shack somewhere to camp out for a few days)
  • whatever else I can fit in there like a large chest or couple rafts which can hold a lot of bags and large items
  • (All highest QL I can get them)

Sleeping bag with tents completes the experience.

Park your boat on someones deed when offline for awhile to help lessen decay ticks of boat and items in boat.  Be careful though not to unload stuff while on someone's deed.  I've lost a large cart this way in the past.  Wouldn't let me load, move, etc so left it.  Was awhile ago so maybe it's old issue.

All your materials, food items, etc will be stored in crates.  Another reason to park on someone's deed when offline for awhile to prevent decay of items in crates.

For quick meals that will fill your ccfp while traveling you need a pottery bowl and at least 7 different chopped veggies and 1 meat.  Put in campfire or oven and makes good sized meal.  Hunt for meat and forage for veggies or keep a supply stored in crate on knarr.

Edited by nicedreams

9 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

I do this a lot and sail around all the servers.  It's boring sitting on deed.  It's called my "nomad" set.  Have a knarr loaded with:

• large cart
  • animal cage
  • forge
  • oven
  • smelter
  • bunch of large crates
  • bed (if I make a small shack somewhere to camp out for a few days)
  • whatever else I can fit in there like a large chest or couple rafts which can hold a lot of bags and large items
  • (All highest QL I can get them)

Sleeping bag with tents completes the experience.

Park your boat on someones deed when offline for awhile to help lessen decay ticks of boat and items in boat.  Be careful though not to unload stuff while on someone's deed.  I've lost a large cart this way in the past.  Wouldn't let me load, move, etc so left it.  Was awhile ago so maybe it's old issue.

All your materials, food items, etc will be stored in crates.  Another reason to park on someone's deed when offline for awhile to prevent decay of items in crates.

For quick meals that will fill your ccfp while traveling you need a pottery bowl and at least 7 different chopped veggies and 1 meat.  Put in campfire or oven and makes good sized meal.  Hunt for meat and forage for veggies or keep a supply stored in crate on knarr.

That's really cool! Do you pay for your premium with real money or do you earn it with silver?

If I tried to replicate that I'd have to build a knarr first which requires premium.. so I was kinda just going for a small rowing boat, with only the essential essentials to work my way up..

I am working my way towards "moving in" on a boat.  I plan to keep my deed citizenship, as a home to go home to, but want to set up a boat with all the necessaries and travel through  all the PVE servers.

It is partly my reason for this:

13 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

I am working my way towards "moving in" on a boat.  I plan to keep my deed citizenship, as a home to go home to, but want to set up a boat with all the necessaries and travel through  all the PVE servers.

It is partly my reason for this:

I've seen some older "gypsy wagon" concepts that would make traveling either alone or with a group of like minded people possible with a "mobile deed", and it's a great idea and the discussion under it was pretty interesting:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blablagame said:

I've seen some older "gypsy wagon" concepts that would make traveling either alone or with a group of like minded people possible with a "mobile deed", and it's a great idea and the discussion under it was pretty interesting:

Yes, I thought about Gypsy wagons, too, including the idea of a mobile mini-deed of some kind, but thought it would be a stretch.  

29 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

but thought it would be a stretch.  

A stretch from camping?

1 hour ago, Blablagame said:

A stretch from camping?

As stretch trying to get modifications that allow wagons to have mobile mini-deeds.

Oh alright, yeah the idea wasn't implemented for 8 years, hopefully the steam release will motivate the devs to leave the players the option between "you build house with 20 trees" and "you build boat/wagon with 100 trees but you'll be free to take it whereever"

• Like 1