Sign in to follow this  
Quicktor

Steam launch and making Combat "easier" to understand

So after I saw this Thread I had an idea how to make combat visually easier to understand.

How about having a new timer bar that is by default somewhere in the middle of the screen and only appears when you go into combat.

It would show a "swing timer" which is already running in the background, just not visible.

Here is an example of how it could look...

mPzl5Us.png

Seeing the actual timer it needs you to swing a weapon and hit OR miss, and not only looking in the combat tab helps new players understand the system easier imo.

• Like 5

Would be good if the animation matched with your actions.

Take shield bashing for instance, the animation happens at the start of timer and finishes long before you complete the action, it just feels out of sync.

Not sure how this would look and feel but maybe also specific weapon animations that match the swing timer?

• Like 1

adding more information and giving the player more agency is always a good decision.

Personally i realy hate how i know jack about combat in wurm.

Like is moving while combat good?

Does the shield facing the enemy do anything?

What is the advantage of standing behind the enemy, if any?

Do i get penalties for fighting with my back to the enemy

If i get hit, does it reduce my swing-timer or reset it completly(like with shieldbash)?

a visual swingtimer or dmg-numbers would greatly improve available information for the player

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quicktor said:

mPzl5Us.png

simple bar making pvp/pve 129383 times more understandable, 10/10 would add

Edited by Votip
  • Like 1

By far one of the best idea's for Wurm combat I've ever seen.  Wouldn't have to focus on combat tab as much.

Wondering if we should see a timer of attackers and what they trying to do to you in combat or just a timer for our own combat actions?

4 hours ago, Quicktor said:

Here is an example of how it could look...

mPzl5Us.png

This is not bad at all, and it already feels more engaging just by the picture. Nice one! :) 

maybe something in the right direction.  just instead of the "swing timer" it should write type of damage, eg cutting, pierce, slashing, mauling etc. Right side of the timer bar it should show the outcome of the swing action, eg damaged, glanced, missed, blocked, parried etc. Also below you own attack bar there should be incoming attack bars of enemy mobs/players briefly stating who from the damage is coming and the type of damage is incoming and same again - the result of their attack icons whether damaged, blocked etc. If you use shield bash or enemies use some skills on you or spells, the incoming attack bar should change accordingly showing that you are getting "inferno'ed" and time remaining till cast is done, result (failed/damaged). Basically same stuff that we get in our combat log, just translated into visuals for easier combat management. pair this with the new interface that is coming up and wurm will look like a 21st century game at least lol 

Edit: Also, we can have teams in fight already, it would be great if you can have team member list visually showing their buffs, HP bars. maybe limit team members to 6 or so, but team info visible to everyone in the team would be a nice addition

Edited by Skatyna