Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Save the date! Wurm Online launches on Steam July 24th!

14 hours ago, GuillySoulStar said:

so what if someone like myself has 0 means of buying coins due to no personal money flow(no job/dependant), how would i even get anything for myself in-game?

Some people have never put a penny in the game yet own huge deeds, dozens of alts, specialized crafter, priests, huge deeds.  

Other people have money galore but really no time. They might be able to afford $20 $80 $200 a month. But they don;t have time to sit around for hours chipping bricks, making mortar, farming crop fields, wandering the server looking for animals to breed, pounding pegs into hullboards to make ships.

So they tend to buy those items off other players. The farmer sells his crops to the casual player, the mason sells thousands of bricks. Sometimes they make enough to pay for premium ingame with silver coins, to buy a deed, etc. It kind of varies a lot from player to player, but there certainly are a number of success stories.

It doesn't mean every new player with no cash is going to succeed, but it is possible

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, GuillySoulStar said:

so, does this mean the game ISN'T catered to those who can dish out the "dosh" for in-game currency? 

Well it is kinda catered ^_^ since only those people can keep the developers fed, there are just more ways for "freefolk" to make it here than in games like TERA etc.

The paradox is that if only the well to do players with money are catered to, then the people with tight budgets drop out, the playerbase keeps shrinking, the game starts dying.

SMART developers try to find ways to keep everyone feeling an active part of the game, even those who are struggling economically.  

• Like 2

basicly forage and botanize, i got 1 silver 40 copper in about an hour. and you can find silver doing this, i found a  silver once you can do this to get money in game.

• Like 1

Have they released a pic of the map? trying to coordinate plans with about 1 dozen returning players

Edited by LumpyGravy

I am not sure they are going to release one prior to launch, I think they are going to cater to the feeling of irreplaceable "let's all get lost and die together!" feeling of that first week on a new server. You can always add maps later...

I don't remember now, did they release a map in advance for Deli and Xanadu and Pristine et al? I know on Indy, the initial maps were completely player made without a map dump and relatively  crudely done:

(still much better than I could ever have done!)  But maybe just a reminded of what early player maps look like?

9k=

kihbk1K.png

L4Y42UI.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I am not sure they are going to release one prior to launch, I think they are going to cater to the feeling of irreplaceable "let's all get lost and die together!" feeling of that first week on a new server. You can always add maps later...

I don't remember now, did they release a map in advance for Deli and Xanadu and Pristine et al? I know on Indy, the initial maps were player made and quite crudely done.

I miss the old days of the map making..  I think when we first log in there will a ingame map.. just was currious if i had missed someothing

• Like 1

Yeah i think that ingame map when we first log in will be the first clue we have....

On 7/19/2020 at 7:52 PM, GuillySoulStar said:

hi! so i'm here, just to ask a few things, as i'm from steam, and i noticed steam is basicly re-releasing(?) this game, cuz it says on the steam store page released in 2012 and yet it also says releasing july 24th, soooo... whats up there? also i've not played this game before, much less heard of it til now, so what if someone like myself has 0 means of buying coins due to no personal money flow(no job/dependant), how would i even get anything for myself in-game? it makes it seem more liek this game is catering moreso to those who have jobs or a personal cash flow, rather than those like myself, despite being a free to play, it relies on a money system that pretty much falls on real monetary purchases of ingame money, from what i've read up on the main page for the economy section.liek the game has me partially interested, but like... i feel as if this game would just make me rage due to not being able to get land, certain items that may be required for crafting, etc, etc

Idk why the steam page says 2012, WO came out originally in 2006.

You can very easily generate income in this game by literally just helping people out.  On day 1 of the new server keep an eye on the market forum here and you'll see people offering money for either straight up labour like roadmaking or people buying dirt or bricks.

if you've have the time you can very easily generate income in game to pay for premium, deed costs, etc.  How much money you can make depends entirely on your level of patience.

Edited by Object

13 minutes ago, Object said:

Idk why the steam page says 2012, WO came out originally in 2006.

Up until 2012, any game criticism was met with "well we are in BETA."

In December 2012, after almost a decade of alpha+beta (alpha was 2003), Rolf decided we had advanced to Wurm 1.0, and with great fanfare the game emerged from BETA, blinking in the harsh sunlight.

I am not sure whether this makes this the fabled WURM 2.0  

• Like 1

• Improved UI... maybe ok
  • Removal of RMT and account sales ... remove RTM is trash, account sell it get some sence
  • Visual updates and reworks... it that means old engine with more objects its trash
  • Removal of player gods..if its without deity its trash.

5 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Up until 2012, any game criticism was met with "well we are in BETA."

In 2012, after almost a decade of alpha+beta (alpha was 2003), Rolf decided we had advanced to Wurm 1.0, and with great fanfare the game emerged from BETA, blinking in the harsh sunlight.

Which is funny since wurm "came out of beta" before then as "Gold" version. 
But hey, whatever, we still keep coming back back to play it.

Got my calendar free on Friday at Noon central time!

Edited by Red

2 minutes ago, ftoz said:
  • Improved UI... maybe ok
  • Removal of RMT and account sales ... remove RTM is trash, account sell it get some sence
  • Visual updates and reworks... it that means old engine with more objects its trash
  • Removal of player gods..if its without deity its trash.

you sound a bit bitter ;( 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ftoz said:
  • Grrrrrr

Tell us how you really feel

5 minutes ago, Red said:

Which is funny since wurm "came out of beta" before then as "Gold" version. 

As James Cameron and Bethesda Game Studios discovered, you can make a LOT more money if you just keep rereleasing your products over and over again. 

2 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

yeah them too.  ^_^

The absolute worst is when they make a new game and call it the same name as the original game, but it's actually a new game that's just vaguely familiar to the original and then that game becomes the 4th game in the series because there's already an existing trilogy....but then they make a sequel to that one so now you have two games named Super Action Funtime 2 but the 2nd SaF2 is actually SaF5.....

28 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

As James Cameron and Bethesda Game Studios discovered, you can make a LOT more money if you just keep rereleasing your products over and over again. 

I expect a Skyrim Fallout 4 Wurm Online edition.

34 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

... and now Code Club is skipping down that same path?

Don't joke or we'll get a Wurm Beyond as an Epic Games Store exclusive.

3 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

... and now Code Club is skipping down that same path?

No. This is the same Wurm Online being made available on a new platform. People continuing to use the non-Steam launcher, and people using the Steam launcher, will be playing the same game, with the same people.

51 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

No. This is the same Wurm Online being made available on a new platform. People continuing to use the non-Steam launcher, and people using the Steam launcher, will be playing the same game, with the same people.

You have the patience of a saint btw, you deserve a raise.

i just hope it's a good looking map with lots of water and rivers ect. encourage water travel and bridges.  not land lock most of the server. 

i kinda like not knowing the map

but at the same time i wish they would pregenerate like 50. and let us vote . and they would see the top 5 servers without telling us at all. but then choose best one out of that. dev only knowing.  just for the style of map we like. and even regen it again. close to the style the majority chose based on the votes.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 11:17 AM, Object said:

I legitimately don't think this game will ever go away.  M59 and UO are still around and I personally think the sandbox survival genre is getting even more popular.

I still play Meridian 59 to this day.