Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Save the date! Wurm Online launches on Steam July 24th!

6 minutes ago, Zera said:

You're still saying that a company should be keeping track of a non-company related event so as to avoid a conflict between a non-company event to said company event.

There-in the problem still exists and everything I've said still justified valid.

If your company exists as a gaming company you generally do tend to look at current events be it own community or elsewhere to see if something is a good time for release
For example the fun issue with cyberpunk where a lot of devs small and big pushed back their games to give cyberpunk the love it deserves from everyone yet the game got delayed anyway i have seen quite a few dev related releases and events be pushed back by a few days to a week or something for any number of community events or big releases from other like minded games reason for that? player happiness=profit

If i sold baked beans i really would not care if i launched a new range of baked beans in america on the 4th of july or on christmas or something its a food product people will buy it regardless of timing
If i sold a game i would study the market i would plan my release around big events if its an expansion for a online game id check if community events that would be impacted by said expansion would be affected by it

Lets take it into the IT industry specifically the it service providers and see why it makes sense to do some research to decide on certain events

1 company decides to redo the entire school network and reimage all computers 1 week before exam time and something goes wrong causing a big issue and a lot of frustration, end result long hours to be on time
2nd company decides to redo entire school network and reimage all computers the day after exams are over because they asked the customer what day would work best for them
Now imagine which IT company was allowed to keep servicing that school?

Players in wurm are the customers their happiness directly translates to codeclubs income a happy player is more likely to spend more money then a pissed off one

Here is another example say you run a food car stand thing you wouldnt go set up shop on a day you know its going to rain and no one is going to visit that hilltop that normally is popular even if it meant you had to throw away food as it was going to expire

So many businesses out there where people's happiness is directly related to your company's income do a lot of research to make sure their products and their launch windows do not mess with other events be it big or small
We had a shopping center push back its opening day because they found out after originally posting up the opening day that a charity event was going to be run on the same day(pre planned months in advance and it was a fun event) in the old place that the new one was going to replace sure there where some upset store owners but the people enjoyed the gesture and showed up in mass for the opening even though originally people where like "why go to the new one when the old one is closer and works just fine" when ever anyone was asked here locally about it

Anyway point being many and i mean many companies where people being happy with you relates to income will try their best to work around events of almost any kind and we are taught that as well during business courses and if a date really can not be changed one would announce it to the people who would be affected by it so that maybe they can make a change if possible

So for next time they really should do their research better as not doing so shows a lack of care for the community and that at such a crucial time isnt a good thing

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wipeout said:

For example the fun issue with cyberpunk where a lot of devs small and big pushed back their games to give cyberpunk the love it deserves from everyone yet the game got delayed anyway i have seen quite a few dev related releases and events be pushed back by a few days to a week or something for any number of community events or big releases from other like minded games reason for that? player happiness=profit

Are you really trying to compare a "community event" to another game release?
I'm sorry but a player hosted in-game event is not the same as a similar game releasing.

And it isn't so "Everyone can enjoy the release of some other game" it's so their own game isn't competing against some other game that is sharing that time-frame.

46 minutes ago, wipeout said:

If i sold baked beans i really would not care if i launched a new range of baked beans in america on the 4th of july or on christmas or something its a food product people will buy it regardless of timing
If i sold a game i would study the market i would plan my release around big events if its an expansion for a online game id check if community events that would be impacted by said expansion would be affected by it

This is a terrible comparison... Really it is. Baked beans? Really?

In reality what do you think this "Steam Release" is? It is also just like your "Baked Beans" in this regard, why do they care whether their own "Baked Beans" (Steam Release) is on the same date of a Community event or otherwise. Said release is still going to attract Steam Players who had not otherwise heard of the game prior to said release, regardless if there is a Community Event going on or otherwise.
This Event has no impact directly on the Steam Release itself, however said release CAN benefit the event if it is marketed so. So again, I don't see where this is becoming such a huge deal.

As someone earlier said, this would be a perfect time to advertise said event on the Steam Forums to attract these new players to said event, would it not?

Or are we all going to keep ignoring this fact that this can raise awareness of such events in the first place to said players and dismiss that this announcement of said event can be used to attract players away from the new map and onto the old ones?

51 minutes ago, wipeout said:

Lets take it into the IT industry specifically the it service providers and see why it makes sense to do some research to decide on certain events

1 company decides to redo the entire school network and reimage all computers 1 week before exam time and something goes wrong causing a big issue and a lot of frustration, end result long hours to be on time
2nd company decides to redo entire school network and reimage all computers the day after exams are over because they asked the customer what day would work best for them
Now imagine which IT company was allowed to keep servicing that school?

How is this again, anything like what's going on here?
We're talking about opening up to a whole new market here. Introducing a new launcher and a map on a game that already runs and functions just fine.
Yet we're talking about "Redoing" something to avoid an issue that is what, opening a brand new map/server that is no direct relation to said map/server in which this event is hosted?
I fail to see how this is anyway similar to anything here.

53 minutes ago, wipeout said:

Players in wurm are the customers their happiness directly translates to codeclubs income a happy player is more likely to spend more money then a pissed off one

This is true, but once again. As I've pointed out before, why is it that should one player-hosted event be held any higher than any other?

If you wanted to go through and check with every single one of your consumers/players to make sure your release dates worked for their schedule, you are more than welcome to. However last time I checked said company, whether it is a gaming company, food company or otherwise isn't obligated to do any of that.

That's like saying a Baked Bean company needs to make sure that they check with each of their potential and existing customers that everyone likes the sauce their beans are in and whether or not there is included bacon or something in it..

It's just not feasible!

56 minutes ago, wipeout said:

Here is another example say you run a food car stand thing you wouldnt go set up shop on a day you know its going to rain and no one is going to visit that hilltop that normally is popular even if it meant you had to throw away food as it was going to expire

Now we're comparing the Impalong to rain?
I don't understand this comparison here at all.

Or is the Steam Release supposed to be the rain?

57 minutes ago, wipeout said:

So many businesses out there where people's happiness is directly related to your company's income do a lot of research to make sure their products and their launch windows do not mess with other events be it big or small
We had a shopping center push back its opening day because they found out after originally posting up the opening day that a charity event was going to be run on the same day(pre planned months in advance and it was a fun event) in the old place that the new one was going to replace sure there where some upset store owners but the people enjoyed the gesture and showed up in mass for the opening even though originally people where like "why go to the new one when the old one is closer and works just fine" when ever anyone was asked here locally about it

So now we're saying the impalong is the same as a charity event?

So again, we're holding this impalong in a higher regard than any other some event that may have been planned?

I also don't recall that the Steam Release and the opening of said new Servers to go with it, having any direct effect to the map and server that this impalong is hosted on. Please do remind me where it was stated that these new maps and servers would have any direct effect on the existing ones because I must have missed that somewhere!

59 minutes ago, wipeout said:

Anyway point being many and i mean many companies where people being happy with you relates to income will try their best to work around events of almost any kind and we are taught that as well during business courses and if a date really can not be changed one would announce it to the people who would be affected by it so that maybe they can make a change if possible

So for next time they really should do their research better as not doing so shows a lack of care for the community and that at such a crucial time isnt a good thing

Again another "This event is more important" sort of statements.

Every company is based on consumer happiness. If the consumer doesn't like something, they don't buy it. Plain and Simple.

Here's a fun fact too though, you can never, never-ever, please everybody.

And that is especially true for Wurm. There is always someone, somewhere complaining about something that's been changed, added, tweaked, delayed, released, or otherwise that someone doesn't like. That's just the gaming industry as a whole and there is absolutely no way around it. None.

No matter how much you want to think there is.

The only way around something like that is to make hundreds of different versions of the exact same game with every individual consumer's opinions, thoughts and demands. Though even then not everyone will be satisfied because it's completely unrealistic and cannot be maintained. Especially not in the progressive state that everyone expects it to be done these days.

In a timely manner, effectively and smoothly without issue.

It's entirely unrealistic!

I can't believe this discussion is still going on, and it's probably going to get the thread locked if it continues, so let's not do that. The decision has been made so let's move forward.

If you want to participate in the Steam launch, you can do that. If you want to participate in the Impalong, you can do that. If you want to participate in both, there is enough time in one day to do both, so you can do that.

• Like 11

Oh I think there is one clear and important point that needs making...

You all have steam accounts; on release day make sure to post a review and encourage players to join the old cluster.  Run transport to and from the event.

You've got a lure CC can not beat:

"Join us today and take part in a community event, get a jumpstart to your wurm experience with better tools!" 

"Join the old cluster and get to know your neighbors"

I'll be there to teleport folks who need it, and to LT newbie weapons.

Edited by Pandalet
Moderation edit
  • Like 2

I agree that it could be a good idea to point at the impalong, giving newcomers a significant tailwind when starting on the old servers. And it might be a good idea to inform about and advertise for. But please avoid badmouthing of the new project which would not be helpful for anybody.

Wurm is very much community driven, and it is not too much expected from company and devs to inform about clashes with long planned and foreseeable player activities.

It is not that there are impalongs every week, on contrary, with Shrimpalong terminated, there are just two per year remaining, Virusmd's Friendalong and Dracaa`s Lunalong. It seems a bit, though, that the release has been made under pressure, see the delayed (or not) start of the pvp servers. There may be necessities behind we do not see. But it would have been the least by devs and company to be aware of the conflict and inform Virusmd and the community in advance instead being pointed to that clash by them.

That attitude of a certain carelessness already showed up when server reboots were made just 20 minutes or so after start of a rift which happened repeatedly. Though less consequential, that is similarly utterly unnecessary, at least if it does not deal with an urgent hotfix. It is not too much expected to have a short look into niarja (and I assume the devs have even better infos about the timing of such automatically recurrent events) and avoid a clash, be it by shifting the rift start, or starting the reboot earlier (later is not realistic), or at least warning more than 30 minutes in advance about a conflict.

It is not that CC/GC were a world company with millions of users and thousands of employees which cannot be expected to know or care about every player's activities. On contrary, the relatively few community events are an important part of what holds the game together and made it survive so far.

Anyway we should not strive to antagonize the upcoming launch which, if successful, will help to ensure longer term survival of the game.

Edited by Pandalet
Moderation edit
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 11:05 PM, Zera said:

What you are saying though is that a buisness company should still be watching every event, action, posting by it's consumers should be monitored and carefully taken into consideration when performing it's aforementioned business plans.

Nope, not that either.  I am saying that the big known events certainly should be taken into consideration and the general actions preferences and opinions of the body of consumers absolutely should be of major importance to a business that wants to stay in business.  If you cannot see that, then don't start a business,

I find it absolutely insane that this thread is now four pages long.  For a game that takes years of investment you'd think missing out on a few hours at launch wouldn't be such a horrible thing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Object said:

I find it absolutely insane that this thread is now four pages long.  For a game that takes years of investment you'd think missing out on a few hours at launch wouldn't be such a horrible thing.

(ironically making the thread longer).

😁

do we have an eta about the hour of the day that the new server will be (probably) up?

• Like 1

@DarklordsIs each kingdom still going to have a king.

If so can we update the challenge for the king, because atm the challenge can take up to 6 weeks since the king has 3 chances to accept it maybe even longer than 6 weeks then it could take months to get a new king. 

Can we get it shortened to where once challenged the king has only a 24 hour period to accept the challenge. 

Doing away with his 3 chances since they can drag them out. 

Edited by Erin

On 7/2/2020 at 2:26 PM, Rauros said:

do we have an eta about the hour of the day that the new server will be (probably) up?

And the map please. We are three weeks out.

Edit: After reading some other posts it sounds like map dumps weren't done prior to launch on previous servers, which is perfectly fine. Just curious if there will be one or not. Thanks.

Edited by Satch
Added Notes

On 7/3/2020 at 11:18 AM, Satch said:

And the map please. We are three weeks out.

Edit: After reading some other posts it sounds like map dumps weren't done prior to launch on previous servers, which is perfectly fine. Just curious if there will be one or not. Thanks.

IIRC they usually release a map dump a month or two after launch but the players usually create their own map within a week so it's fine.  Making a player made map is fun.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Object said:

IIRC they usually release a map dump a month or two after launch but the players usually create their own map within a week so it's fine.  Making a player made map is fun.

Agreed,  I know some like the Map dumps to be released early, but I for one would like the thrill of adventure of trying to make my way using the in game map and landmass landmarks.      If I am going through the trouble of creating a new toon I want to get close to the experience I had when I first started and spawned on a road near "The Howl" on Independence many moons ago without the temptation of map dumps before release.     Lets have the map dumps a little while after the initial surge.  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Snowmantis said:

Agreed,  I know some like the Map dumps to be released early, but I for one would like the thrill of adventure of trying to make my way using the in game map and landmass landmarks.      If I am going through the trouble of creating a new toon I want to get close to the experience I had when I first started and spawned on a road near "The Howl" on Independence many moons ago without the temptation of map dumps before release.     Lets have the map dumps a little while after the initial surge.  

I agree 100% and I think that seems to be the general consensus around here anyways.  How else am I going to show off my terrible MSPaint map making skills. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 2:39 AM, Erin said:

@DarklordsIs each kingdom still going to have a king.

If so can we update the challenge for the king, because atm the challenge can take up to 6 weeks since the king has 3 chances to accept it maybe even longer than 6 weeks then it could take months to get a new king. 

Can we get it shortened to where once challenged the king has only a 24 hour period to accept the challenge. 

Doing away with his 3 chances since they can drag them out. 

I would like to see this change to some extent too. But I would honestly prefer a vote system for white light groups similar to the deed votes where you can vote a new king in and a challenge system that actually works for hots. I think it would make most sense that way. But I would be just as happy to see a challenge system that actually works properly.

I am here. I am ready. I am posting the opening to the other game I was playing. 

I am telling my friends. I told my wife no more kisses unless she joins.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gurubear said:

Good luck, chaps!

hey look who is back after a 4 year back

i do apologize for my last post in which i received a Bann.. i besmudged retro and predicted the game was doomed,,,,,,

my mom had just died from covid-19 and i was just mad with grief lashing out.

best of luck CodeClubAD with the steam launch.. ill be there with bells on and ill try to stay sane and calm in the future\

• Like 3

I legitimately don't think this game will ever go away.  M59 and UO are still around and I personally think the sandbox survival genre is getting even more popular.

• Like 3

hi! so i'm here, just to ask a few things, as i'm from steam, and i noticed steam is basicly re-releasing(?) this game, cuz it says on the steam store page released in 2012 and yet it also says releasing july 24th, soooo... whats up there? also i've not played this game before, much less heard of it til now, so what if someone like myself has 0 means of buying coins due to no personal money flow(no job/dependant), how would i even get anything for myself in-game? it makes it seem more liek this game is catering moreso to those who have jobs or a personal cash flow, rather than those like myself, despite being a free to play, it relies on a money system that pretty much falls on real monetary purchases of ingame money, from what i've read up on the main page for the economy section.liek the game has me partially interested, but like... i feel as if this game would just make me rage due to not being able to get land, certain items that may be required for crafting, etc, etc

2 minutes ago, GuillySoulStar said:

hi! so i'm here, just to ask a few things, as i'm from steam, and i noticed steam is basicly re-releasing(?) this game, cuz it says on the steam store page released in 2012 and yet it also says releasing july 24th, soooo... whats up there? also i've not played this game before, much less heard of it til now, so what if someone like myself has 0 means of buying coins due to no personal money flow(no job/dependant), how would i even get anything for myself in-game? it makes it seem more liek this game is catering moreso to those who have jobs or a personal cash flow, rather than those like myself, despite being a free to play, it relies on a money system that pretty much falls on real monetary purchases of ingame money, from what i've read up on the main page for the economy section.liek the game has me partially interested, but like... i feel as if this game would just make me rage due to not being able to get land, certain items that may be required for crafting, etc, etc

Yes, this game has been out for years however brand new servers are being launched for the branch onto steam; everyone will be starting fresh on those. If you want something more established, the current servers are also joinable through steam.

Premium and deed costs can be covered by earning coins in game; it takes a bit of dedication but is perfectly do-able for a newbie through foraging, bulk creation, hunting, etc. I would suggest joining a group, as they may be willing to show you the ropes and potentially allow you to live on their deed as a helper for whatever skills you're interested in trying.

3 minutes ago, Jore said:

Yes, this game has been out for years however brand new servers are being launched for the branch onto steam; everyone will be starting fresh on those. If you want something more established, the current servers are also joinable through steam.

Premium and deed costs can be covered by earning coins in game; it takes a bit of dedication but is perfectly do-able for a newbie through foraging, bulk creation, hunting, etc. I would suggest joining a group, as they may be willing to show you the ropes and potentially allow you to live on their deed as a helper for whatever skills you're interested in trying.

so, does this mean the game ISN'T catered to those who can dish out the "dosh" for in-game currency? cuz if so thats somewhat of a relief. also as since i have like 0 to no clue about the game's mechanics, it'll likely be hard for me at first, for sure, like when it took me a full day to get used to TERA's aiming system XD

13 minutes ago, GuillySoulStar said:

so, does this mean the game ISN'T catered to those who can dish out the "dosh" for in-game currency? cuz if so thats somewhat of a relief. also as since i have like 0 to no clue about the game's mechanics, it'll likely be hard for me at first, for sure, like when it took me a full day to get used to TERA's aiming system XD

Someone could use real money to buy a bunch of in-game silver, but it wouldn't do them all that much good. Ultimately, you're still limited by what others can make. 1,000,000 silver won't do me any good unless I can find someone willing and able to make me a weapon worth 1,000,000. It's not like a pay-to-win MMO where you can buy max quality gear from the developers themselves. Befriending a good blacksmith is worth way more than all of the silver Richie Rich could ever buy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Razorblade said:

Someone could use real money to buy a bunch of in-game silver, but it wouldn't do them all that much good. Ultimately, you're still limited by what others can make. 1,000,000 silver won't do me any good unless I can find someone willing and able to make me a weapon worth 1,000,000. It's not like a pay-to-win MMO where you can buy max quality gear from the developers themselves. Befriending a good blacksmith is worth way more than all of the silver Richie Rich could ever buy.

oh thank god, thats a huge relief