Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Save the date! Wurm Online launches on Steam July 24th!

1 hour ago, Angelklaine said:

They have already said multiple times the servers will be completely separate. You cannot go from the old servers to the new ones in any way.

Okay, so they are not even neighbors technically then. Interesting. 

I was seeing people sad that they could not use previous names on WO for the steam servers, but if they are that disconnected, then maybe they might use a different name pool and all the names are free to use in the beginning. Maybe, I am just speculating. 

I can see new players being confused and using their name on the wrong server cluster then being sad they cant use it again on the steam servers, even tho its technically a "new account". 

Instead of a test server just release a 1 month jackal with the new UI before the steam launch:) and have it run on the future pve steam server host that is most likely the initial jackal server and this way you test the new UI and provided you make the new Jackal skill transfers worth while it might even get stress tested a little bit by the sheer number of ppl going in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WittleBunnBun said:

I was seeing people sad that they could not use previous names on WO for the steam servers, but if they are that disconnected, then maybe they might use a different name pool and all the names are free to use in the beginning. Maybe, I am just speculating. 

Once again no. They need to have same name pool in case of merging servers later on.

Not sure how will they implement character creation and choosing of cluster to play on with this situation, leaving golden valley out of game complicated things and I don't remember them explaining it. 

If dev team could shed some light on mystery it would be good.

(Only viable solution that comes to mind to me now is that you would have to choose on a web page when you register character or that client ask you somehow before login where you want to play upon first logon, or to reroute everything back to Golden Valey and leave Heavens Landing out of use)

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 5:25 AM, elentari said:

I agree. Why can't we just update the date for release on the 1st of august?

@Retrograde you'd actually win a lot of brownie points with the community for showing that you actually care about events planned months in advance. The game will still be released, the impalong will happen, everyone wins. What does 1 week matter?

Just have both games running at the same time. I mean I don't want the release pushed another day let alone a week. You'll just have to multi-task

Edited by Ismira

55 minutes ago, kochinac said:

(Only viable solution that comes to mind to me now is that you would have to choose on a web page when you register character or that client ask you somehow before login where you want to play upon first logon, or to reroute everything back to Golden Valley and leave Heavens Landing out of use)

Well another possibility could be if the current spawn, Haven, is moved to NewHaven/NewServer. Every newly created character appears there. From there they can 1) stay on NewPVE server 2) Take a two-way portal to NewPVP server, or 3) Take a forever one-way portal to OldHaven/OldServers, with no coming back.   If all new characters log into NewHaven and make one of those three choices, it could work to have NewHaven replace the function Haven currently has.   I have tried to think of them reopening Golden Valley again as the initial point, but there are just so many problems. I hope they never-never-never return to "Town Of A Thousand Signs" as the initial entry. I think equally unlikely is reopening the old 2010 era GV tutorial. Choosing an entry point from a webpage registration seems problematic also. People are overwhelmed and already rush through that and pay no attention to the gender they chose let alone their server choice. They are just eager to get ingame and look around, without making lifelong decisions. 

Time to Move Forward.  Time to let new people slow down and think. NewHaven can be the new Haven. That gives people landing there plenty of time to ponder and discuss before deciding what they want their future to be. Perhaps OldServer people will even roll up new characters there to "recruit" to OldServer kingdoms/villages/servers, giving them a chance to argue for the benefits of the existing servers, but new people at least can take their time to make a good decision, instead of choosing from a webpage when they are already confused on what this game even is about, added to the frustration of choosing a new character name never used before. They may have to try several times for a name and that is going to wear then a little thin, without making a permanent decision on server too.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Question, and if I missed it being answered please link...Currently we can transfer from one server to the next with WO, but with Steam there would be only one server (possibly a pvp server). I'm sure there are alot of us current players making plans to start there and alot of noobs as well. Xanadu's lag can be pretty messy with the amount of ppl on there. (I only play on Xan so not sure how the other servers manage it). I think this steam release is going to pull in alot of older players that quit playing for a time just to be able to start fresh. My questions are:

How will the server handle such an influx?

Are there any plans to create other servers before the possible merge with WO?

4 hours ago, WittleBunnBun said:

Okay, so they are not even neighbors technically then. Interesting. 

I can see new players being confused and using their name on the wrong server cluster then being sad they cant use it again on the steam servers, even tho its technically a "new account". 

Make the name similar, I mean I like the fact you can't use the same names seeing as ppl love to steal names they like from others. 

19 minutes ago, Ismira said:

Xanadu's lag can be pretty messy with the amount of ppl on there. (I only play on Xan so not sure how the other servers manage it). I think this steam release is going to pull in alot of older players that quit playing for a time just to be able to start fresh. My questions are:

How will the server handle such an influx?

Are there any plans to create other servers before the possible merge with WO?

Xanadu's lag has much more to do with its oversized large landmass than with the number of players.  Indy has easily handled as many people online at once as Xanadu  and managed ok, while Xan has sometimes had nasty lag even when a lot of people were not logged in. In WU, Xan-sized servers also sometimes have issues even with quite small player bases. The map size itself causes issues for some reason.

Heaven knows what is going to happen first day of the new Steam server though. Going to be a madhouse I suspect :D  

I guess that would be the biggest argument against using NewHaven/NewServer as the initial login location, and in favor of a standalone login server such as Golden Valley.

• Like 1

Independence used to have 800+ online 9 years ago when it was opened for non premium and it was okay. 

Edited by nitram20

13 minutes ago, nitram20 said:

Independence used to have 800+ online 9 years ago when it was opened for non premium and it was okay. 

I am pretty sure I can remember days of +1200 online at one time when Indy was the only PVE server, right before they opened Deliverance.

• Like 3

I'm still wondering if the title shouldn't be:

Save the date! Crezena leaves Wurm Online on July 24th!

Oh and we're also doing a Steam release that day"

But I may of course be mistaken. :D

Thorin :) 

Lots of current players will create at least on toon on the new servers. I guess the real numbers (of new players) will show after 2...3 months or so. Regardless, I trully want and hope that Wurm will be successful. After all, it really offers a trully unique gaming experience. Good luck Wurm team.

• Like 3

On 6/16/2020 at 11:17 AM, Retrograde said:

Unfortunately shifting the date isn't possible, we're aware that at times some official things may clash, but when it comes to building towards a major launch like this, it has to take priority to any community events.

Rough translation - the bird in the bush is worth more than the one in the hand.

It is really disappointing to come across this approach where the customer services the product rather than the other way around.

9 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Rough translation - the bird in the bush is worth more than the one in the hand.

It is really disappointing to come across this approach where the customer services the product rather than the other way around.

Are you upset that they’re not moving the commercial launch of a video game so it doesn’t coincide with an in game community event? That’s insane.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chakron said:

Are you upset that they’re not moving the commercial launch of a video game so it doesn’t coincide with an in game community event? That’s insane.

What's insane is a commercial launch aimed at building the community of players, ignoring the current community of players.  I have only played for about 6 months, and have been reading about impalongs for that entire time - an impalong is not just "an in game community event" ,  it is one of only two major in game events that bind people together and to the game.  The other is a public slaying, and these are unpredictable and short-notice, but this impalong was promoted months ago with a specific date whereas the timing of the new launch has always been vague.   We are told that the specific date is due to several constraints and that it was set some time ago.  That's fine - BUT when the biggest in-game event in several months is announced months ahead then THAT is the time for someone official to reach out which a virtual tap on the shoulder and suggest that a clash is quite possible.  I would say that the player organizers should have asked about the date, but it seems like every player and alt was asking and not getting anything much more precise than a season.  I seems these impalongs are generally around the same date, too, so the considerate thing to do would have been to mention early (i.e. before the impalong was even announced) should either be moved forward to before x date or postponed for a while, or something like that.

I am not saying the launch should be moved for a player-made event.  I am saying that there should have been an awareness of how the players play the game and some consideration given to making sure the event was never set to clash with the launch in the first place.   Even when this thread was posted, it was left to players to spot the clash.  The impalong organizers would have booked leave from work, not easily changed.  This lack of actual consideration - i.e. intentionally considering who could be affected and how - will cost players real money.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

What's insane is a commercial launch aimed at building the community of players, ignoring the current community of players.  I have only played for about 6 months, and have been reading about impalongs for that entire time - an impalong is not just "an in game community event" ,  it is one of only two major in game events that bind people together and to the game.  The other is a public slaying, and these are unpredictable and short-notice, but this impalong was promoted months ago with a specific date whereas the timing of the new launch has always been vague.   We are told that the specific date is due to several constraints and that it was set some time ago.  That's fine - BUT when the biggest in-game event in several months is announced months ahead then THAT is the time for someone official to reach out which a virtual tap on the shoulder and suggest that a clash is quite possible.  I would say that the player organizers should have asked about the date, but it seems like every player and alt was asking and not getting anything much more precise than a season.  I seems these impalongs are generally around the same date, too, so the considerate thing to do would have been to mention early (i.e. before the impalong was even announced) should either be moved forward to before x date or postponed for a while, or something like that.

I am not saying the launch should be moved for a player-made event.  I am saying that there should have been an awareness of how the players play the game and some consideration given to making sure the event was never set to clash with the launch in the first place.   Even when this thread was posted, it was left to players to spot the clash.  The impalong organizers would have booked leave from work, not easily changed.  This lack of actual consideration - i.e. intentionally considering who could be affected and how - will cost players real money.

I fail to see how it's a companies responsibility to keep track of ANY player-hosted event and focus anything around that in the first place.
Regardless of whether or not said players decided to put in time off of work or otherwise. It is not the companies responsibility to do so.

A company of any kind's focus is to produce a product, market and sell it.

Bending any of that around something a player decides to organize themselves is not their responsibility.

I can understand your frustration sure, but to think that it is a companies responsibility to pay attention to any and all events a player may be deciding to host and there-fore base it's releases/updates/changes/features/etc; around such things is ridiculous.

I'm sorry but last time I checked it was the company who runs the game, who owns the game and who develops said game. It is the player who uses that game for entertainment and chooses to do whatever it is they do within that game. Not the player.

If a company were to "consider every player" and focus their releases/updates/events based around the player(s) schedule.. Nothing would get done! I know I've said that already.
So your event was posted months in advance, great. So lots of people should know that your event is going on and can decide if they want to participate or not.

I guarantee you though that your event is not the only one that is going on during some other update/event/release by the company though.

What I keep reading with each of these posts is "Code Club shouldn't have set their release date for the same date as my event, because that's just unfair!"
No, what's unfair is that you feel that a company needs to be aware and focus said release date around a player's schedule in the first place.
What if I won't be available during said release date? I've had other plans around said time, should Code Club have discussed this with me too to make sure it lined up with my previous plans too?

What about the other events that may be going on by other players? Should they have also been taken into consideration when the release date was decided? Small Deeds who have "in-home events" during a server release/update/shut-down, should those be considered too?

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 12:40 AM, kochinac said:

one might argue that this is hardly expirience improvment for all but ok

One might also argue that the Earth is flat. In neither situation is their argument grounded in reality. People not being able to just buy their way to high skills, or to use wurm as a job to earn revenue absolutely improves the game as an experience, for everyone who plays it. 

4 hours ago, Zera said:

When the product is an experience, and the bulk of the selling is repeat business, souring the experience of existing customers is biting the hand that feeds, BUT...

Read again what I wrote.  Nowhere have I said the company should base their release date around any community event.  I am saying that they should have told the community that regularly and predictably puts on a very large event to reconsider their timing.  I was never saying the launch should make way for the impalong - I am actually saying the opposite but that the considerate thing to do would be to give the community plenty of warning that they would have to work around a launch. It isn't a case of "consider every player" either; it is a case of "consider the player community in general".  Yes, the company definitely SHOULD have been aware of a major event that happens on a regular schedule, and it certainly seems they are.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zera said:

Bending any of that around something a player decides to organize themselves is not their responsibility.

You're talking as if the company were selling its product to a wholly different subset of customers, and that "players" are just there to make things difficult.

Pro tip:  In the gaming industry, "players" ARE the customers.

• Like 3

Don't forget that there are likely some factors that we as players can't see, that influence the release date too, like some arrangement with Steam/internal dates they need to keep, etc.

Actually I don't see why the release goes against a community event when the release on Steam might open up a new community. Why not advertise the event on the Steam forums to get some Steam players (which means likely some new players) interested for it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

When the product is an experience, and the bulk of the selling is repeat business, souring the experience of existing customers is biting the hand that feeds, BUT...

souring the experience of existing customers is their business model isn't it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arronicus said:

One might also argue that the Earth is flat. In neither situation is their argument grounded in reality. People not being able to just buy their way to high skills, or to use wurm as a job to earn revenue absolutely improves the game as an experience, for everyone who plays it. 

Lol, did you seriously compare this to flat earth.

I will remind you that i also play Wurm and removing RMT didn't inprove experience for me, uncontrary it diminished it, and i'm quite sure i'm not the only one. So actually your statement that improves expirience FOR ALL is more equal to flat Earth statment.

And no i didn't use Wurm as my job, i payed premium from my salary, never sold or bought account (ok Mag priests for collapse on one occasion doesnt really count i guess).. But it was nice to know that you can cash out any extra you have through casual playing, gave some motivation to play on the longrun, now that motivation is quite diminished and that my friend is bad experience for me :)

6 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Read again what I wrote.  Nowhere have I said the company should base their release date around any community event.  I am saying that they should have told the community that regularly and predictably puts on a very large event to reconsider their timing.  I was never saying the launch should make way for the impalong - I am actually saying the opposite but that the considerate thing to do would be to give the community plenty of warning that they would have to work around a launch. It isn't a case of "consider every player" either; it is a case of "consider the player community in general".  Yes, the company definitely SHOULD have been aware of a major event that happens on a regular schedule, and it certainly seems they are.  

This right here imagine if they had told the impalong host and their staff(if any) "hey guys and girls can you please not host it around these days we got something planned for that time and would like our focus to be on that and not be divided between the 2" and if they had said that when they knew the date(considering they probably knew it for quite some time now) then it would have come across a lot better for those who are hosting that event

End of the day impalongs see a spike in activity that is bigger then public slayings but you know impalongs and the people behind them dont matter its just a lot of hard work for months on end and drama when the impalongs happen due to people trolling them and end of the day they are left in the dark and big events are placed on the same day with no heads up :(

I just hope that next time(i really wish i didnt have to keep saying this) the devs will actually be more vocal and if a big event like that overlaps something major to tell the people in charge once they know the date of their projects release vs big community event

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

You're still saying that a company should be keeping track of a non-company related event so as to avoid a conflict between a non-company event to said company event.

There-in the problem still exists and everything I've said still justified valid.

No, you are not saying that the release should be moved based on said event. What you are saying though is that a buisness company should still be watching every event, action, posting by it's consumers should be monitored and carefully taken into consideration when performing it's aforementioned business plans.

Whether that is planning a release, notifying said consumers who made plans (whether again those plans are game-related or otherwise is besides the point here entirely!) or otherwise.

It isn't a case of "consider every player" either; it is a case of "consider the player community in general".

Is IS a case of "Consider every player".
Why does your event hold any more importance over someone elses?
I do not attend these "impalongs" and had never planned to. So why is it that this event in particular is causing so much of an uproar (over any other possible event that could be occuring) if it is infact not a "consider every player" vs "consider the community".

Again, said buisness practice in what you are proposing should have been done would have been to notify EVERY player of the plans (which they've done now and is causing said uproar) prior to actually "officially announcing" to avoid said conflict.

I fail to see a solution here that is "consider the community" when the only thing we're referring to is a single event that NOT every player even cares to attend in the first place.

5 hours ago, Mordraug said:

You're talking as if the company were selling its product to a wholly different subset of customers, and that "players" are just there to make things difficult.

Pro tip:  In the gaming industry, "players" ARE the customers.

No, I'm not. I'm talking in general sense buisness company vs player/consumer.

I speak as though the uproar that this thread has turned into is focused around a single event, without the consideration that there are infact other events occurring around or at the same time that are being completely overlooked in each argument "for the impalong" vs "for the release" and so forth.

Yet each post in protest for the lack of "warning" towards the impalong host(s) are strictly directed as such.
In which case, see the top-portion of my post here...

• Like 1