Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Save the date! Wurm Online launches on Steam July 24th!

On 6/14/2020 at 6:28 AM, wipeout said:

And this is what i figured was the case those who run the impalongs generally take time off work they make sure things are planned months in advance sometimes even a year they spend countless hours of work on a community event only to get ###### on and then people go "oh if the company waits for every community event it will never get anything done" like its 5 days of waiting more its not that bad but instead they just dont give 2 ###### about their community and it it shows once again this is why so many impalongs ceased to be anyway they are meant to be fun community things where the community gets together to do something but in the end its 1 person doing 90% of the work and then a gm shows up lazily overshadowing a lot of the great work that happens by running gm events and people only showing up for those things 😕

In the end it just shows a disconnect and a lack of care towards the community be it the pve community with events such as this that are known to happen every year at set times(that is the thing these impalongs happen on or around the same date every year the devs and gms know this way before any kind of solid date for steam release) or be it the pvp community who had to yell insanely loudly to get a "hey magically we can make the pvp server release at the same time" reply it is sad :( and i hope that in the future they wont pull stuff like this again but this is something we say every single dam time now

I agree. Why can't we just update the date for release on the 1st of august?

@Retrograde you'd actually win a lot of brownie points with the community for showing that you actually care about events planned months in advance. The game will still be released, the impalong will happen, everyone wins. What does 1 week matter?

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, elentari said:

I agree. Why can't we just update the date for release on the 1st of august?

@Retrograde you'd actually win a lot of brownie points with the community for showing that you actually care about events planned months in advance. The game will still be released, the impalong will happen, everyone wins. What does 1 week matter?

As the release date has already been announced, many people have already booked leave to coincide with it. 

It would be a very poor idea to push back the release without an extremely good reason. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BrokenSanity said:

As the release date has already been announced, many people have already booked leave to coincide with it. 

It would be a very poor idea to push back the release without an extremely good reason. 

it was very poor idea to plan a steam release at the same day as the biggest community event that happens only about one time every year

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Votip said:

it was very poor idea to plan a steam release at the same day as the biggest community event that happens only about one time every year

usually biggest one is the one happening ~xmas.. but yea.. summer and winter events are the 2 main events.. and I personally like just the pristine hosted virus/shrimp deeds are close by.. and really easy to reach, while.. xana hosted for me is not worth the sailing and lag 'experience', that just discourages me to visit.

I'm sure it's not that much of a planning fail, as it's a late push... after the MAYBE initially planned 06.06.2020 which was set as release date on steam at first and later changed with old date of original wo release.. we just got misinformed a lot for any of the planning.. and eventually the late pushed date aligned with another event.

We can only pray something goes wrong to delay the launch a bit ^^', just imagine impalong with several restarts, lag and other issue.. will be truly easy to remember it for years to come..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Finnn said:

I'm sure it's not that much of a planning fail, as it's a late push... after the MAYBE initially planned 06.06.2020 which was set as release date on steam at first and later changed with old date of original wo release.. we just got misinformed a lot for any of the planning.. and eventually the late pushed date aligned with another event.

That was never the date planned

Unfortunately shifting the date isn't possible, we're aware that at times some official things may clash, but when it comes to building towards a major launch like this, it has to take priority to any community events. 

Rest assured, the GM team is still committed to supporting the event, and the bonus to skillgain and affinities is also on the existing servers. 

• Like 1

OK I am soooooo looking forward to checking out the new place! This will be soo cool!  I  must of missed it but, is there any more details on the new servers and how they may differ from the current servers? So curious. But I am not a cat. I am a bird.. raven mind you! A messenger of Odin LOL ya sorry.. lol

• Like 1

Will new characters on Wurm Steam Online start in Golden Valley?

Why would they? The tutorial has been moved off of there, and it's only kept around because it is the login server. 

• Like 1

It's been a while since I started a new character, still thought that was the tutorial

I think the question was

Can I make a new character now, train a bit on the starter server, then go to the new steam server when it opens

Edited by zCat

29 minutes ago, zCat said:

I think the question was

Can I make a new character now, train a bit on the starter server, then go to the new steam server when it opens

Even if you could transfer to the new steam servers from the mother cluster, your skills would be reset like how they do with epic transfers. 

I asked the same question a few times and that’s the answer I have gotten so far. I’m not 100% sure how the login process will work (maybe it’s not through the tutorial town in independence). Either way, the skills would be easily reset. 

Edited by WittleBunnBun

5 hours ago, zCat said:

I think the question was

No

5 hours ago, WittleBunnBun said:

Even if you could transfer to the new steam servers from the mother cluster, your skills would be reset like how they do with epic transfers. 

I asked the same question a few times and that’s the answer I have gotten so far. I’m not 100% sure how the login process will work (maybe it’s not through the tutorial town in independence). Either way, the skills would be easily reset. 

And if the servers are to be connected in the future?

If your skills were to reset if you went there on a currently existing character, then when eventually the servers connected, you'd not get any of your skills back.

So what would be the point? 

Edited by atazs

23 minutes ago, atazs said:

And if the servers are to be connected in the future?

If your skills were to reset if you went there on a currently existing character, then when eventually the servers connected, you'd not get any of your skills back.

-If- they are connected in the future, the steam servers are freedom settings, so I highly doubt they would force a skill wipe -if- they ever were to be connected to the other freedom cluster. 

As it stands right now, they are not connected. Also, this was the question: 

6 hours ago, zCat said:

It was about logging in, not -if- the servers will be connected in the future. 

1 hour ago, WittleBunnBun said:

-If- they are connected in the future, the steam servers are freedom settings, so I highly doubt they would force a skill wipe -if- they ever were to be connected to the other freedom cluster. 

As it stands right now, they are not connected. Also, this was the question: 

It was about logging in, not -if- the servers will be connected in the future. 

Either way, it is a no, as the devs have said previously time and time again. 

Only newly created characters after the servers are released will have the choice to be able to go there.

No currently existing characters will have the choice to transfer there. 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, zCat said:

I think the question was

No, you can't.

13 hours ago, WittleBunnBun said:

Not how it works. You will need to create a new character for the steam server once it comes out. There is no way to transfer characters/silver/items from the current servers to the steam ones.

6 hours ago, atazs said:

Only newly created characters after the servers are released will have the choice to be able to go there.

No currently existing characters will have the choice to transfer there. 

This.

Have been trying to spread this news around reddit to attract some players. Got really p!$$ed at a guy trying to say WO is a "P2W" game because you can buy in game currency. Also saying that WU was "abandoned".

God forbid Wurm's developers try to earn something for their hard work.

Love you guys and excited for next month!

Edited by Sulevi
  • Like 1

I would like to know will it have a different desktop shortcut. More about the currency.. the exchange and how it differs from WO now.. Can we be our own priests.. with out those penalties. Will timers be the same and skill gains... Will it be our steam names we use.. and will we need different steam accounts for different characters.. So Much to know and will it have its own wiki? I need to know these things! :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RavenLure said:

I would like to know will it have a different desktop shortcut. More about the currency.. the exchange and how it differs from WO now.. Can we be our own priests.. with out those penalties. Will timers be the same and skill gains... Will it be our steam names we use.. and will we need different steam accounts for different characters.. So Much to know and will it have its own wiki? I need to know these things! :)

It is still the same game, so of course it will still have the same wiki, same penalties for priests, same currency and same exchange rate for the currency (it has already been reduced to 1e = 1s for preperation of the steam release) Some of your other questions have been answered in the FAQ:

To the names, this has been answered on another thread somewhere in the forums - you can't use names that have already been used on old servers.
Hope this helps :) 

8 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Not how it works. You will need to create a new character for the steam server once it comes out. There is no way to transfer characters/silver/items from the current servers to the steam ones.

I was asking a few weeks ago before the announcement cuz I was also curious to save a name/transfer it over via portal how you can between freedom and epic and people all told me -even if- you can login with an old account, it would not be worth it. Because the devs can simply make a portal that does not transfer skills, etc like epic. 

All I was telling the original question was: no, it’s a waste of time all together to make a character pre-launch and grind skills because devs don’t want it this way.

Maybe this got lost in translation 🤷‍♀️ 

Surely you save a name because the tutorial server will be shared (sure I read that).  Just make the toon, grind on the tutorial server, and enjoy.

It just means you would have to use the old client, but DRM free clients always run faster anyway!

Just now, Etherdrifter said:

Just make the toon, grind on the tutorial server,

Thats what I an a few of my buddies thought as well. 

But the tutorial town is actually on Independence. So, first login is actually on the mothercluster. I am unaware of how they will drop "steam characters" into the steam servers. Maybe they will be an option to just first login to the new servers from the client, or maybe there is a portal like how epic does this. 

Thats the point that needs to be cleared up. I haven't seen an answer to where "new steam server characters" will be physically dropped to get to the steam servers. 
If someone knows, please share a link cuz I am very curious. 

15 hours ago, atazs said:

Yes xD That's exactly what I have been saying. It is pointless to login today and grind skills for the steam server, as the original questions was asking. 

As to how the procedure for actually logging in for new steam accounts will go, I am not sure. Will they be dropped on independence to go through the tutorial town, then portal to their prefered server, or will they have a choice in launcher to just be placed on the steam servers. I am not clear on this process.

Maybe you know? Can you share a link to the information. 

16 minutes ago, WittleBunnBun said:

Yes xD That's exactly what I have been saying. It is pointless to login today and grind skills for the steam server, as the original questions was asking. 

As to how the procedure for actually logging in for new steam accounts will go, I am not sure. Will they be dropped on independence to go through the tutorial town, then portal to their prefered server, or will they have a choice in launcher to just be placed on the steam servers. I am not clear on this process.

Maybe you know? Can you share a link to the information. 

They have already said multiple times the servers will be completely separate. You cannot go from the old servers to the new ones in any way. If you could start on Independence and take a portal then you could potentially come with your alt and give your new character money. The devs have already said this will not be possible.

So that leaves only one option. The characters will start in the new servers from scratch. 

There used to be Golden Valley, which was the Lobby server and housed the tutorial, but that was since replaced by Haven's Landing in Independence. You can no longer make a new character in Haven's Landing at all. Besides, it would be considered an old server, so that's also a no-go. 

The way I understood (it was also explained) is that there will be an option to choose if you want to play on the new servers or the old ones. This will take form of either a separate launcher, or a toggle during character creation or before. Maybe that was explained and I missed it, I don't know, but I know for a fact you won't start in Independence.

If you really want to know, you can check the steam threads available, or do a bit of digging in Rolf's thread here:

Hope this helps to answer you questions.

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cayce said:

It is still the same game, so of course it will still have the same wiki, same penalties for priests, same currency and same exchange rate for the currency (it has already been reduced to 1e = 1s for preperation of the steam release) Some of your other questions have been answered in the FAQ:

To the names, this has been answered on another thread somewhere in the forums - you can't use names that have already been used on old servers.
Hope this helps :) 

Thank you I do not visit the forums much right now .. thank you for the Link! Looking forward to new adventures! May there be plenty of mobs to hunt!

• Like 1