Retrograde

Save the date! Wurm Online launches on Steam July 24th!

Recommended Posts

DAZOJE7.jpg

 

 

Hi Everyone!

 

Since our announcement of Wurm coming to Steam, we've been hard at work getting everything polished and ready for the launch. Over the past eight months, we approached several tasks to improve the Wurm experience for all; this includes:

  • Improved UI
  • Removal of RMT and account sales
  • Visual updates and reworks
  • Removal of player gods


We are pleased to announce that with the visual updates out, and the new UI approaching preview client stage very soon, we will be launching Wurm Online on Steam on July 24th, 2020! 

 

We are entering an exciting period as we work on several tasks towards this date, polishing mechanics, addressing bugs and preparing for the monumental task of launching Wurm on Steam. We are currently working on a new trailer, more promotional work and we will be doing a bonus skill event during the release that will be running on all Wurm Online servers, to allow everyone to celebrate the launch, not just players interested in playing on the new servers.

 

We know there are lots of questions regarding the specifics, you can find our answers to some of the Frequently Asked Questions below:

 

 

I hope you're all as excited as we are because this is going to be huge! 

 

See you there!

Retrograde & The Wurm Team

 

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

We are currently working on a new trailer, more promotional work and we will be doing a bonus skill event during the release that will be running on all Wurm Online servers, to allow everyone to celebrate the launch, not just players interested in playing on the new servers.


Yay more trailers but that bonus skill gain makes me be torn between "do i take it to grind on my existing toon or do i use it to have less of a grind on my new toon" :(  why do you do this to me retro WHYYYYY
giphy.gif

Either way yaaaaaaaay release date finally here and only a month and  11 days away woooot ❤️ 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YAY then maybe the PMK graphics can get updated

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Removal of RMT and account sales

one might argue that this is hardly expirience improvment for all but ok

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asking the boss for a day off from work on the 24th of july... check! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hrm...  A month to automate data collection; got it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm so excited!  I can't wait to explore the new map!

 

oh yeah and die by trolls again! lol!

Edited by katnip2067

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wipeout said:

giphy.gif

I like this reply.. 

Date is truly random for me.. can't connect it with anything... 🤔

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How exciting! I can hardly wait I can hardly wait I can hardly wait!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the time is apon us!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im still of the opinion of making it the 29th instead of the 24th just so that the friend-a-long can go on with all its glory and start the bonus skill gain at that time of the friend-a-long start and just have it for 5 more days then planned

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its time my baby! Long live Libila!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wipeout said:

Im still of the opinion of making it the 29th instead of the 24th just so that the friend-a-long can go on with all its glory and start the bonus skill gain at that time of the friend-a-long start and just have it for 5 more days then planned

BIG RELEASE vs random player event, makes no sense to delay game release for anything ingame.. so .. either friendalong needs to happen around the event, before I'd guess it we have a followup event.. not that it matters, last 2 get affinity events were roflropters, unsure if anybody got anything from them, skillgain boost was good of course 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wipeout said:

Im still of the opinion of making it the 29th instead of the 24th just so that the friend-a-long can go on with all its glory and start the bonus skill gain at that time of the friend-a-long start and just have it for 5 more days then planned

 

or make it earlier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they could push the impalong up a week that would probably be better anyways.  Wasn't planning on going, but.....now I'd go to hang out and it would be an impalong / steam pre-release party since I wouldn't know what to do with myself in game that week prior to steam release.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Finnn said:

BIG RELEASE vs random player event, makes no sense to delay game release for anything ingame.. so .. either friendalong needs to happen around the event, before I'd guess it we have a followup event.. not that it matters, last 2 get affinity events were roflropters, unsure if anybody got anything from them, skillgain boost was good of course 👍

I agree with this.
I mean no offense or anything but the moment a game company starts worrying about player-based events and sets their schedule around that, nothing would ever get done.

 

I get that it sucks as it can very well pull attention away from an event said player(s) may have been planning for a long time, but in any way expecting a game to delay or situate their plans around something a player has setup is just a bit much.

 

Besides all that though, I would think that the increased skillgains during the same time would encourage more folks who aren't participating in the new server land-rush to enjoy those benefits as part of the event held by player(s). Rather than looking at it as a "conflicting event" look at it as a "supporting event".

As it was said earlier, it's a celebration of the Release to Steam and this also provides additional benefit to the player(s) hosted events at the same time. Turning said event(s) into a larger celebration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nicedreams said:

If they could push the impalong up a week that would probably be better anyways.  Wasn't planning on going, but.....now I'd go to hang out and it would be an impalong / steam pre-release party since I wouldn't know what to do with myself in game that week prior to steam release.

 

i cannot change the date of the friend-along, i applied for this time off months in advance and had to plan it around other vacations. There is no way i can move it at all. I've had the thread up posted with the date for months now, it was obviously just chosen to be disregarded, really makes me regret all the time and effort i put into this project when there just gonna crap all over it and throw some other hot event right on top of it. A giant ******* to me and all the others who put in time materials and silver for this. It was bad enough when you screwed me with favor and forced me to grow and chop another 200k veggies to compensate, now this? WTF seriously? I cant help that they cant get this stuff together and have to delay things over and over, how can I plan around that?

Edited by VirusMD
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's true.. that impalong(friendalong) event takes a 2nd punch with this date.. 🙄

 

Usually 1-2 GMs come by the event to check on things, spawn stuff to kill or annoy players turning them into random models(mostly unpleasant or unwanted), some like last part .. I don't.. additionally 1-2 extra GMs seem to have pitched in in latest events and just do their own thing(for example.. whoever have turned into a seaserpent and was swimming in water for 20-40min if not more.. 10/10 for the background visual)

Here comes the question.. are there enough staff members with free time to cover and help whatever new players might get into..  and show up support old ones with entertainment?

 

I do connect new launch with issues however.. and it's probably better to delay the skill gain with a week or do it on month 2 after the release.

 

I'd not be a fan of dc, bugged out login server(whoever is logged in plays fine but nobody else can get into the game during these) or random immediate restarts for maintenances during any kind of event being player or server skill-gain boost.. and I'd expect such with new server launches.

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, VirusMD said:

 

i cannot change the date of the friend-along, i applied for this time off months in advance and had to plan it around other vacations. There is no way i can move it at all. I've had the thread up posted with the date for months now, it was obviously just chosen to be disregarded, really makes me regret all the time and effort i put into this project when there just gonna crap all over it and throw some other hot event right on top of it. A giant ******* to me and all the others who put in time materials and silver for this. It was bad enough when you screwed me with favor and forced me to grow and chop another 200k veggies to compensate, now this? WTF seriously? I cant help that they cant get this stuff together and have to delay things over and over, how can I plan around that?


And this is what i figured was the case those who run the impalongs generally take time off work they make sure things are planned months in advance sometimes even a year they spend countless hours of work on a community event only to get ###### on and then people go "oh if the company waits for every community event it will never get anything done" like its 5 days of waiting more its not that bad but instead they just dont give 2 ###### about their community and it it shows once again this is why so many impalongs ceased to be anyway they are meant to be fun community things where the community gets together to do something but in the end its 1 person doing 90% of the work and then a gm shows up lazily overshadowing a lot of the great work that happens by running gm events and people only showing up for those things 😕

In the end it just shows a disconnect and a lack of care towards the community be it the pve community with events such as this that are known to happen every year at set times(that is the thing these impalongs happen on or around the same date every year the devs and gms know this way before any kind of solid date for steam release) or be it the pvp community who had to yell insanely loudly to get a "hey magically we can make the pvp server release at the same time" reply it is sad :( and i hope that in the future they wont pull stuff like this again but this is something we say every single dam time now 😕

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wipeout said:


And this is what i figured was the case those who run the impalongs generally take time off work they make sure things are planned months in advance sometimes even a year they spend countless hours of work on a community event only to get ###### on and then people go "oh if the company waits for every community event it will never get anything done" like its 5 days of waiting more its not that bad but instead they just dont give 2 ###### about their community and it it shows once again this is why so many impalongs ceased to be anyway they are meant to be fun community things where the community gets together to do something but in the end its 1 person doing 90% of the work and then a gm shows up lazily overshadowing a lot of the great work that happens by running gm events and people only showing up for those things 😕

In the end it just shows a disconnect and a lack of care towards the community be it the pve community with events such as this that are known to happen every year at set times(that is the thing these impalongs happen on or around the same date every year the devs and gms know this way before any kind of solid date for steam release) or be it the pvp community who had to yell insanely loudly to get a "hey magically we can make the pvp server release at the same time" reply it is sad :( and i hope that in the future they wont pull stuff like this again but this is something we say every single dam time now 😕

 

 

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/175735-steam-launch-faq/&do=findComment&comment=1787247

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jeston said:

Yes that is the exact thing i said in my last sentence we yelled mclovin made a poll it showed a huge group of players wanting a same day release we yelled more and we got a comment that came off as a "oh okay i guess we need to do this" thats why i always say there is a disconnect between the devs who dont care about the communities in wurm and the players who do care and ya they are trying to fix it but time and time again they do things that upset the community for the weirdest of reasons and its just crazy if you ask me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wipeout said:

Yes that is the exact thing i said in my last sentence we yelled mclovin made a poll it showed a huge group of players wanting a same day release we yelled more and we got a comment that came off as a "oh okay i guess we need to do this" thats why i always say there is a disconnect between the devs who dont care about the communities in wurm and the players who do care and ya they are trying to fix it but time and time again they do things that upset the community for the weirdest of reasons and its just crazy if you ask me

There's a lot more behind it, and we're not committing to launching them at the same time. 

 

We will see if it is possible, but there is extra work to be done. 

 

I see a lot of discussion about the Impalong, and how we should plan our official steps according to it, but ultimately we are set by other restrictions and confinements. The skillgain bonus will provide incentive and we will support the impalong as we've always supported them. 

 

At the end of the day however, they are community based events, and we cannot structure the game, or our wider scale works around them, our development process needs to take precedence. 

  • Like 6
  • Cat 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2020 at 10:35 PM, Retrograde said:

Hi Everyone!

 

Since our announcement of Wurm coming to Steam, we've been hard at work getting everything polished and ready for the launch. Over the past eight months, we approached several tasks to improve the Wurm experience for all; this includes:

  • Improved UI
  • Removal of RMT and account sales
  • Visual updates and reworks
  • Removal of player gods

 

I saw a post about this on Reddit and came here to find a reason, but since one isn't present within this thread... why are Player Gods being removed?

I have never played this game before, but after seeing a post on the same social outlet about the game being planned for Steam (before I found the other aforementioned post), I've gained a bit of interest in trying it out since it seem as though it would feel the same as EverQuest and potentially other games I have played before.

Apotheosis is a really cool feature that I don't see many MMORPGs do, and it makes me sad to see a game of that genre drop the feature. Will it at least make a return as a revamp in the future if the reason has to do with outdated mechanics or imbalance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too much hassle with balancing

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aer said:

 

I saw a post about this on Reddit and came here to find a reason, but since one isn't present within this thread... why are Player Gods being removed?

I have never played this game before, but after seeing a post on the same social outlet about the game being planned for Steam (before I found the other aforementioned post), I've gained a bit of interest in trying it out since it seem as though it would feel the same as EverQuest and potentially other games I have played before.

Apotheosis is a really cool feature that I don't see many MMORPGs do, and it makes me sad to see a game of that genre drop the feature. Will it at least make a return as a revamp in the future if the reason has to do with outdated mechanics or imbalance?

Balancing issue for pvp and it was never meant to be a thing that would happen a lot but in a short period of time a lot of people(short for wurm time) got their godhood and ya they disabled the ability to get more player gods real quick and then later on(just recently) got rid of it even though they where nice to have around from a players point of view but a nightmare for balance on a dev's

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now