Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Steam Launch FAQ

17 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

call on 867-5309

I'm just gonna put this right here because I think a lot of people here are old enough to get it.

dAzg46J.png

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

Jessie's girl was Patty (watch the video) and 867-5309 belonged to Jenny.

😜

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, yasgur said:

Jessie's girl was Patty (watch the video) and 867-5309 belonged to Jenny.

😜

I came here to say this.... but yasgur got there first 😉

I'll post this again, since it got lost in the discussion going on.

Q: Are there any benefits to playing through Steam?

A: Not really - the Steam client is mostly aimed at new players discovering Wurm through Steam. For our established players wanting to try out the new servers, we recommend using our standalone client.

@RetrogradeSo.. standalone client or steam for a not really new player?
I do like the steam platform, but I'm wondering how it will play out in the future (for Wurm).
Let's say.. Wurm Online decides to get rid of steam.. what's going to happen if I had an account made through them?

57 minutes ago, Taranis said:

I do like the steam platform, but I'm wondering how it will play out in the future (for Wurm).
Let's say.. Wurm Online decides to get rid of steam.. what's going to happen if I had an account made through them?

I just asked this sorta question on the discord and got an answer from Bunn.

It's through steam, but you're still playing the same game with the same client. Just like if you buy an EA Games Origin game on steam, it still installs origin. 

The fact that they're releasing 2 new servers just happens to coincide with Steam release and will require a fresh account to join whether or not you use steam or not. 

So anyone wanting to play on the new servers needs to make a new account (with a new name that isn't already taken on other servers) sometime after the launch date/time. 

• Like 2

Will there be a way to download the steam clients before launch? I don't have the best connection so downloading large files takes time- though I understand the regular client can be used to connect to the servers too- I'd prefer avoiding having to download the game twice.

2 hours ago, Taranis said:

I'll post this again, since it got lost in the discussion going on.

Q: Are there any benefits to playing through Steam?

A: Not really - the Steam client is mostly aimed at new players discovering Wurm through Steam. For our established players wanting to try out the new servers, we recommend using our standalone client.

@RetrogradeSo.. standalone client or steam for a not really new player?

Also please keep in mind that Code Club, Ltd benefits more from characters created through and using the traditional Wurm Online client over those who create a character through the Steam client (and thus have to buy silver through Steam rather than the Code Club shop on the web).  Steam gets a cut (is it 30%?) off all those Steam silver purchases (which characters generated in the Steam client have to use for their premium purchases out-of-game), whereas Code Club gets the full share of the Wurm Online shop purchases.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Red said:

I just asked this sorta question on the discord and got an answer from Bunn.

It's through steam, but you're still playing the same game with the same client. Just like if you buy an EA Games Origin game on steam, it still installs origin. 

The fact that they're releasing 2 new servers just happens to coincide with Steam release and will require a fresh account to join whether or not you use steam or not. 

So anyone wanting to play on the new servers needs to make a new account (with a new name that isn't already taken on other servers) sometime after the launch date/time. 

Not really an answer for the question I have..
If somewhere in the future the agreement between Steam and Code Club ends, what will happen to the steam accounts?
Since we are not able to log in or buy anything from the Wurm website if you made an account through Steam.
But thanks for the reply anyway! 👍

1 hour ago, Tristanc said:

Also please keep in mind that Code Club, Ltd benefits more from characters created through and using the traditional Wurm Online client over those who create a character through the Steam client (and thus have to buy silver through Steam rather than the Code Club shop on the web).  Steam gets a cut (is it 30%?) off all those Steam silver purchases (which characters generated in the Steam client have to use for their premium purchases out-of-game), whereas Code Club gets the full share of the Wurm Online shop purchases.

This also doesn"t answer my question.. but it does answers something for me.
Wich should I choose. Now that I know this, I will definitely choose the Wurm Online client (and shop)!
Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 3

The Steam accounts are not the Wurm accounts. 
Steam lets you download Wurm in a new way, but it is still just Wurm. Also lets you purchase stuff for Wurm via Steam Wallet.

But... all the Wurm stuff is still just a Wurm account like any other. So there is no penalty if the relationship to Steam ends. 

Using Steam is 100% a preference. Those who use Steam for all their other games will likely use it for Wurm out of convenience. + Tristanc's comment on % cut of money. 

Does that make sense? Happy to explain the same thing another couple times haha.

• Like 1

Steam does not own your Wurm account, they only own your steam account.

If for whatever reason, the partnership ends, your character created via Steam would just be transferred to the normal client. 

Or at least i would have thought so 

• Like 1

How will the 1. time Premium-Bonus work with Steam?

30 minutes ago, Red said:

The Steam accounts are not the Wurm accounts. 
Steam lets you download Wurm in a new way, but it is still just Wurm. Also lets you purchase stuff for Wurm via Steam Wallet.

But... all the Wurm stuff is still just a Wurm account like any other. So there is no penalty if the relationship to Steam ends. 

Using Steam is 100% a preference. Those who use Steam for all their other games will likely use it for Wurm out of convenience. + Tristanc's comment on % cut of money. 

Does that make sense? Happy to explain the same thing another couple times haha.

3 minutes ago, atazs said:

Steam does not own your Wurm account, they only own your steam account.

If for whatever reason, the partnership ends, your character created via Steam would just be transferred to the normal client. 

Or at least i would have thought so 

Thanks!
My confusion came from this --> Q: Can I play on the Steam servers without using Steam? Can I play on the old servers through the Steam client?
A:  Yes to both! While you cannot log in onto old accounts from Steam, or onto Steam accounts from our standalone client, both of those will allow you to create a character and play on all of the available servers.

But I did get it, that it's the same game and that Steam is just another client to get into one of the servers (old or new) 😉
Anyway.. the question is not so important for me personally anymore, since I made the choice of going through the standalone client for the reason that Tristanc gave. 👍

• Like 4

On 6/13/2020 at 10:04 AM, Zera said:

If people join the PvE server and decide it's not for them, then maybe the game itself isn't for them to begin with.

I know this is an old reply by now, but as someone who doesn't feel like PvE isn't for them I feel sorely overlooked by this comment. PvP is about community, and you won't find better communities than those who are found on the PvP servers of Wurm Online. I've never found the equivalent, not even on the PvE servers which you would think are very similar.

Wurm Online was founded as a PvP experience - a completely open world where only guards or the local militia could stop you from violating the law and stealing from your fellow villagers. That is why we have the alignment system, and why toggling lawful and unlawful is still in the quickbar. If you killed and stole, you'd be thrown out of the kingdom and get shipped off to the Horde of the Summoned.

• Like 2

I've heard rumor of like an experience bonus for the first weekend, can anyone confirm and by how much?

Q: Will items and skills transfer between the PvE and PvP servers?
A: Items will not transfer between the new PvE and PvP servers. We are however currently planning on skills transferring between the two.

So, if I'm reading this right, one could grind skills on Harmony and port over with those skills (sans gear) to defiance? 

So can a character be created, premmed and funded with a few silvers before the server opens?  I'd like to get it all out of the way and just focus on play, once the server pops open.

2 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

So can a character be created, premmed and funded with a few silvers before the server opens?  I'd like to get it all out of the way and just focus on play, once the server pops open.

Doesn't seem like it, no.

46 minutes ago, NeoAnderson said:

So, if I'm reading this right, one could grind skills on Harmony and port over with those skills (sans gear) to defiance? 

I believe that is correct, however I don't think Fight Skill will transfer. There are perhaps a couple other skills that won't transfer as well, but most will.

28 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

it would be very very risky, we don't really know whether a character created through website registration alone prior to launch (but never logged in) would be automatically listed as part of the old cluster database, and thus not ever get the option to select between Northern and Southern clusters. And I think Code Club says in about 18 gazillion places they will NOT refund premium bought through the shop, for any reason.

Devs already said here this type of attempt could backfire on people trying to reserve a name.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Satch said:

I believe that is correct, however I don't think Fight Skill will transfer. There are perhaps a couple other skills that won't transfer as well, but most will.

Do you know why this is? I've been gone a year or so - but I've been used to sailing to and from Chaos>Freedom Isles with no skill losses. 

28 minutes ago, NeoAnderson said:

Do you know why this is? I've been gone a year or so - but I've been used to sailing to and from Chaos>Freedom Isles with no skill losses. 

It's pressumably to encourage PvP at all levels of play, rather than having people grind to 80 FS on a PvE server before ever fighting another player.

8 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

No.

The only thing you can do is exchange coins on the current servers for coin on the new servers with someone. 

30 minutes ago, NeoAnderson said:

It's to make people actually play on the PvP server rather than crossing over whenever needed from the safety of PvE and immedietly going back. It's a good change.

Only fighting related skills and meditation won't transfer. Faiths will also be seperate between the two servers.

Sorry if this was already asked, but can new characters be made and paid for now and then logged into the steam server when it launches?

Want to avoid any kind of rush or lag when server drops.

6 minutes ago, Aeryck said:

Sorry if this was already asked, but can new characters be made and paid for now and then logged into the steam server when it launches?

Want to avoid any kind of rush or lag when server drops.

The official answer so far is no.  If there's some player-discovered hack that would enable you to do so, it's not officially-supported nor guaranteed.