Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Steam Launch FAQ

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Well the answer to your question is that there are many different technical reasons why you will need to create a new character. The end result is that it will not be possible to transfer any existing character before the launch to the new servers. 

But i dont ask to transfer and of course i dont ask to do it before release/launch new servers. The main of my reasone i start all of this descussion that i do not want any transfer. Transfer means you will get your skill or items with you. But i have nothing on Freedom, as i sad i playing on Epic and sure i do not want anything from Epic to be transferred to new servers that would be unfair for all players i never ask such things. Everythin i just need that a portal to new servers which i can use and start there from scratch and in some days i can use it to get back to sustain village and over things. When you gonna made the merge, im ok with lose everything on Freedom(there is nothing) but this is no gonna happen in same day of release, it gonna be after years right? But you sad that new servers are actually gonna be part of the Freedom cluster in future, but not on release. So i must pay new account, abandon old one and everything on Epic i made, just because this will be hard to merge my character from new servers with character on Freedom. But if you do not want to implemet algorithms to merge skills by higher you can just overrite all skills with newest ones, this is options for me and not hard to do. But What hard to merge if i have nothintg on Freedom and leveling system are equal, idk really. This is what i trying to point, just let people choose they want override their skills on merge clusters or create new account. But you have not to decide now how exactly you gonna do this, because to merge will left atleast one year or as i hope even more. But just for now will be enought implement availability to people like me, who do not want create new accounts, for some importatn reasones i explaned here, in this thread before, to play from scratch on new servers with old account, because i have nothing on Freedom and with me will be not merge issues. Maybe some one have something to lose, just let them choose when the merge comes up. Choose what they want: override all skils and items, merge skills with highest (not hard to do because original Freedom and new servers are eqal leveling system type there not gonna be hard as transfer skills from Epic to Freedom), or keep old character without change and create new account in ingame menu when you merge. Thus, this delayed decision will allow more people to start playing on the new servers now without worrying that everything they did on the old servers will be destroyed/decayed/robed because of their absence, as they have to pay for a second account but cannot afford it. So for me you just tell pay for enother 7 accounts and all will be fine xD but nothing really will be fine, i will have abandone all that i did on Epic and stop pay these old accounts, play on new servers with new accounts, so when you merge servers i even cant use Epic portal to play my old chars because this is differend accounts - that is not right at all, ill have 14 accounts, what i should do with them sell for real money? Thats is totally wrong and hurting the game. I know many ppl that cant pay even 2 accounts, so even they play one account before, thay cant keep all in normal in case thay want play on new servers. Why only me see that is huge problem. Why i should create new account on Freedom if i have thothing there that can couse issue of merge, just override everything for me if you cant implement other options i sugested here for years before a real merge gonna be happen. I really hope my english not so bad and i successfully delivered my pain toughs about this to you, but i not understand if you got all it told here, then why you cant confirm that is not good and you will try to resolve you this.

Edited by Nelsy

On 7/13/2020 at 2:29 PM, Ricowan said:

If you get to the non-Premium cap within a week, you might be playing too much.  :D

In all skills? Probably.

In some skills, it takes maybe a day if you know what you are doing, especially if you use sleepbonus.

32 minutes ago, atazs said:

In all skills? Probably.

In some skills, it takes maybe a day if you know what you are doing, especially if you use sleepbonus.

You won't have any sleep bonus to use.  None.  There won't even be any beds to gain sleep bonus, until someone makes them.  And that will take some effort for the furs and the sheets.  Growing enough cotton will take quite a while, or do you just plan to get lucky and find enough cotton while foraging?  Yes, you can premium, but that completely negates the suggestion to remove the skill cap for the first week.  If you premium up, you won't have a skill cap.

Now, I don't know if this skill gain bonus thing is a fact or not, and I have no idea what the starting items are.  I'm basing my opinion on how long it took to gain skills when Pristine opened, and how people were dying left and right to every mob, lava spiders right near spawn, crocs eating everyone's face.  Nobody had the luxury of sitting there grinding any skills.  :)

No map dumps to orient you, no clue where the nearest coast was (I ended up on a large lake that I thought was the ocean).  No armor, crappy shield and longsword that almost never hit anything.  All skills at 1, with standard skill gain and standard (slow as hell) action timers.

If the new characters have an easier time, then so be it.  I'll stand corrected.  But I'm waiting to see what actually happens.

I don't oppose the suggestion to remove the skill cap for the first week.  Not at all.  I just don't think it will be a benefit to the majority of new players who don't pay for premium and it won't benefit them at all if they do prem up.

Edited by Ricowan
spelling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Alpengeist said:

For what it's worth, Keenan verified very openly in freedom chat yesterday that eventual merger is the eventual plan, as long as there are no critical issues such as those of economy or something else serious that arises as a foreseeable result of that merger. I thought it was pretty clear from Retro's comments I had re-posted that future merger was likely, but that seemed to get some upset in the thread for some reason. We're all just interested players trying to surmise the future of the game. This is the latest I can add as a basic player of any value here to hopefully clear the air. 

Just to clarify -- this is exactly what they have been saying since LAST FALL. Yes, sure, merging the servers is what they ultimately hope and plan for.   ""As long as there are no critical issues such as those of economy or something else""  is the HUGE qualification you are glossing over very very very fast. You can't just wave that away as a trivial, minor detail. That is the huge UNKNOWN, they just don't know, they didn't know last fall when they announced it, and they still do not know today.

They want to protect the new server's gameplay experience and economy, otherwise they are killing the golden goose. Nobody REALLY knows for 100 percent sure what the impact of over a decade of RMT and traders and other issues, has or will been. I joined in 2011, by then there were already lots of people who had been playing five years or more. Back then a 50Q tool cost 50c, a 5 speed horse cost 5 silver, a 30Q knarr cost 40s.  Back then, you could set up as trader, put a shack up around it, and milk it for 20 or 30 silver a month. Back then I seriously considered setting up some trader shack deeds myself (as it meant I could play for free forever), but it was such an obviously broken mechanic, I feared it would be removed a month or two after I invested into it. Back then, you could have 10 of these deeds going (or find some abandoned ones in the woods and claim them, and easily rake in a gold or two a month, selling those for hundreds of dollars.

You could make $2 perma alts, camp them all at the public traders, especially ones in remote areas, and log in once a month to milk them of 10-20-30s before any newbies had a chance to sell their 2 copper amllets and spindles.

You could make a huge alt army -- I am not sure the record number of alts but 3 or 4 dozen would frankly not surprise me -- buy up $1 sleep powders and grinder them up to level 70 or level 90 and sell those characters for $500  $700 $900. 

On PVP servers, where competition is especially fierce and hardcore, and some people would not mind risking a macro ban or two here and there if they still florished on the bulk of their sales, I can well imagine some people made a full time living off this.  NO high skilled crafter or fighter ever left "the economy", they were just resold over and over and over.   Until finally every server on Freedom and Epic, whether PVP or PVE, are infected with the outfall of RMT.

RMT was actually a cool idea in theory but five ten fifteen years donw the road, it had broken the game

Now they are going to wait and see before merging any servers -- will it break the new servers economy and gameplay?  Will there actually be as much hardcore grinding and hyper levelling if people are not making real world living off this?

Well, if the new server is 99 percent hardcore hardplaying competitive veterans who know every trick in the book, that will take less time. It still could take a few years to get to the stage the old servers got to after 15 years of RMT and game breaking bugs. 

If we get really really lucky, and one third or two thirds are either new players OR just returning players who quit in disgust in the past ... that could take a very long time, if it EVER gets as broken as the old servers.

No.  One.  Knows.

Retro doesn't know. Keenan doesn't know. Rolf doesn't know.  They may HOPE, PLAN, EXPECT, but they are all going to wait and see what really happens. They very probably can make more income adding another 1-2-3 Northern servers until it makes more sense to join all the servers. They have to pay salaries and server costs and new servers have always been their sure fire way to bring in income.

Nothing is "Confirmed".

Nothing has changed.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Just to clarify -- this is exactly what they have been saying since LAST FALL. Yes, sure, merging the servers is what they ultimately hope and plan for.   ""As long as there are no critical issues such as those of economy or something else""  is the HUGE qualification you are glossing over very very very fast. You can'tr just wave that away as minor. That is the huge UNKNOWN, they just don't know, they didn;t know last fall when they announced it, and they still do not know today.

They want to protect the new server's gameplay experience and economy. Nobody REALLY knows for 100 percent sure what the impact of over a decade of RMT and traders and other issues, has or will been. I joined in 2011, by then there were already lots of people who had been playing five years or more. Back then a 50Q tool cost 50c, a 5 speed horse cost 5 silver, a 30Q knarr cost 40s.  Back then, you could set up as trader, put a shack up around it, and milk it for 20 or 30 silver a month. Back then I seriously considered setting up some trader shack deeds myself (as it meant I could play for free forever), but it was such an obviously broken mechanic, I feared it would be removed a month or two after I invested into it. Back then, you could have 10 of these deeds going (or find some abandoned ones in the woods and claim them, and easily rake in a gold or two a month, selling those for hundreds of dollars.

You could make $2 perma alts, camp them all at the public traders, especially ones in remote areas, and log in once a month to milk them of 10-20-30s before any newbies had a chance to sell their 2 copper amllets and spindles.

You could make a huge alt army -- I am not sure the record number of alts but 3 or 4 dozen would frankly not surprise me -- buy up $1 sleep powders and grinder them up to level 70 or level 90 and sell those characters for $500  $700 $900. 

On PVP servers, where competition is especially fierce and hardcore, and some people would not mind risking a macro ban or two here and there if they still florished on the bulk of their sales, I can well imagine some people made a full time living off this.  NO high skilled crafter or fighter ever left "the economy", they were just resold over and over and over.   Until finally every server on Freedom and Epic, whether PVP or PVE, are infected with the outfall of RMT.

RMT was actually a cool idea in theory but five ten fifteen years donw the road, it had broken the game.

Now they are going to wait and see before merging any servers -- will it break the new servers economy and gameplay?

Well, if the new server is 99 percent hardcore hardplayying competitive veterans who know every trick in the book, that will take less time.

If we get really really lucky, and one third or two thirds are either new players OR returning players who quit in disgust in the past ... that could take a very long time, if it ever gets as broken as the old servers.

No.  One.  Knows.

Retro doesn't know. Keenan doesn't know. Rolf doesn't know.  They may HOPE, PLAN, EXPECT, but they are all going to wait and see what really happens.

Nothing is "Confirmed".

It's not really worth trying to argue with them. They've been spamming "the servers are merging CONFIRMED!" with no evidence for days. It's like they think if they keep saying it, it is magically going to happen.

@RetrogradeI got a rather odd question. Can the new wurm servers handle the 800 player limit if a initial steam rush occur and those numbers are actually reached?

Also will we be allowed to download the client ahead of time or do we need to DL it the second it release?

• Like 1

IDK if I've missed it, but I haven't read it so far.. will I need to make a new account to play on these servers? Or how will I get my account (mainly name) from freedom/epic to these servers? will there be a portal? or will I need a new name?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Radni said:

IDK if I've missed it, but I haven't read it so far.. will I need to make a new account to play on these servers? Or how will I get my account (mainly name) from freedom/epic to these servers? will there be a portal? or will I need a new name?

You will require a new account and name.

2 hours ago, Zekezor said:

@RetrogradeI got a rather odd question. Can the new wurm servers handle the 800 player limit if a initial steam rush occur and those numbers are actually reached?

Also will we be allowed to download the client ahead of time or do we need to DL it the second it release?

I am also really curious about this.  Many of us have experienced some colossal Steam release fails recently with other games.  I really hope Wurm will have a system in place to at least let a limited number of people play the game at launch, if not everyone.  Also, there may very well be thousands of people trying to log in/download right at release.

Edited by bregga

They opted to go for a completely disconnected Wurm servers. It has no connection to the databases that exist for the current Wurm Online server. For that reason you cannot reserve an account name for example. It's also why it is technically not feasible (not impossible, just not feasible) to allow players to transfer their existing account information & name to the new cluster. While this has some advantages (cleaner databases, faster queries, etc.) it also will pose some issues down the line. If I were to create "Sindusk" on the new servers, what happens if they want to merge the servers? Is there now two "Sindusk" accounts?

It's a weird choice to be sure, and it's a bit of a slap in the face for those who have a lot of existing premium on their accounts or plan to play on both new and old servers simultaneously (you have to pay premium twice).

The reason you need to make a new account is because although you play on epic, your account still exists on the southern freedom isles. 

Adding an option to completely delete your character from epic/S. freedom isles would create more issues than opportunities, and could lead to major issues within the databases. 

I understand that the premise "why not just let us move over?" is simple, but the reality is the technical impact could severely disrupt players and accounts. 

If you would like to play on the Northern Freedom Isles you will need to make a new account as they will be COMPLETELY separate. This requirement of a new account is not going to change, it's not about money, it's not about being unfair, it's about ensuring that if the servers ever do merge, we don't have the issues we encountered with any other instance of skill transfer we've encountered before. 

• Like 11

MARKS - Do Steam transactions for premium time and silver produce the same amount of Marks as the current WURM shop?     

If yes, then is it integrated and we can expect the MARKS to be available in-game at the same speed as it is now or will there be a transaction delay going through the Steam store?

Edited by Snowmantis

Has the starter town for the new server been designed to have some of the features/design principles of Haven’s Landing or is it more simple like other spawn towns?

11 minutes ago, LionIX said:

Has the starter town for the new server been designed to have some of the features/design principles of Haven’s Landing or is it more simple like other spawn towns?

I hope it is similar. I tried the game back in 2011 and again in 2015, both ending with me wandering, lost, and frustrated. This time around, Havens and the surrounding village made all the difference to me sticking around past the noob learning curve.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SirMuttley said:

I hope it is similar. I tried the game back in 2011 and again in 2015, both ending with me wandering, lost, and frustrated. This time around, Havens and the surrounding village made all the difference to me sticking around past the noob learning curve.

I agree, something like Haven would be great as it gives new players a chance to get acclimated and they can even spend several days there learning how to play.

Plus there are usually a few people starting "New Player Villages" near the start towns, who can adopt anyone lost and frustrated.

When can I register an account for the new server? Do I need to wait until 19:00 on Friday?

Reading through the last few pages hurt my head.

A group of friends and I are excited to get in on a new PVP server where everything is fresh.

We used to play a lot on epic and were wondering how kingdoms are going to work on this new server?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vvorbat said:

We used to play a lot on epic and were wondering how kingdoms are going to work on this new server?

This thread might answer some questions:

Also if you are not already following, check out this thread:

On 6/12/2020 at 8:35 PM, Retrograde said:

Q: How will players become priests without other priests around?
A: The GM team will be helping out with follower and priest conversions for a short time period after the server launches.

Can you clarify this? How do you want players to request to be converted? Through /support? Also, can you define how long that short period of time will be because everyone has a different idea of what "short" means.

13 hours ago, Ricowan said:

You won't have any sleep bonus to use.  None.

Unless it's been changed, I believe that you can gain 1 hour of SB by completing the tutorial.

16 minutes ago, Nelsy said:

that is just enother one server with new trailer

Yes, has anyone told you otherwise?

So the new servers will be disconnected from the old ones in order to have a completely new start. I like it. What about the chat channels? Will I be able to talk to players on Harmony through Freedom-GL? Or just CA channel or none at all?

when deli and xanadu opened. i recall making a new character but then like a month later i sailed my main over to it.   

i hope the new server will hold off 6 months to a year at least. and then take a vote. 

i'm odd. in the way i like to grind my main on xanadu and log into another main. on the new server and grind at the same time. helps the passing of the Que timer.  i use to play wurm unlimited at the same time. or just log in a ton of other alts. if i needed a lot of mats for my main to build ect...

• Like 2

On 7/20/2020 at 3:03 PM, Ricowan said:

You won't have any sleep bonus to use.  None.  There won't even be any beds to gain sleep bonus, until someone makes them.  And that will take some effort for the furs and the sheets.  Growing enough cotton will take quite a while, or do you just plan to get lucky and find enough cotton while foraging?  Yes, you can premium, but that completely negates the suggestion to remove the skill cap for the first week.  If you premium up, you won't have a skill cap.

Now, I don't know if this skill gain bonus thing is a fact or not, and I have no idea what the starting items are.  I'm basing my opinion on how long it took to gain skills when Pristine opened, and how people were dying left and right to every mob, lava spiders right near spawn, crocs eating everyone's face.  Nobody had the luxury of sitting there grinding any skills.  :)

No map dumps to orient you, no clue where the nearest coast was (I ended up on a large lake that I thought was the ocean).  No armor, crappy shield and longsword that almost never hit anything.  All skills at 1, with standard skill gain and standard (slow as hell) action timers.

If the new characters have an easier time, then so be it.  I'll stand corrected.  But I'm waiting to see what actually happens.

I don't oppose the suggestion to remove the skill cap for the first week.  Not at all.  I just don't think it will be a benefit to the majority of new players who don't pay for premium and it won't benefit them at all if they do prem up.

Uh, yes i will have sleepbonus. 

I will get it from completing journal goals and using sleep powders

You could also just forage non stop for cotton. About 5kg should be fine for 2 sheets. You will also get a lot of useful seeds and other crops like wemp in the process.

Fur can also be gained easily from wolves. I'm sure there will be plenty around to lead to the spawn if you have trouble killing them. 

You also automatically get 5 hours if the servers unexpectedly crash. Which i wouldn't exactly rule out either, at least in the first few hours.

Edited by atazs

3 minutes ago, validate said:

when deli and xanadu opened. i recall making a new character but then like a month later i sailed my main over to it.   

i hope the new server will hold off 6 months to a year at least. and then take a vote. 

i'm odd. in the way i like to grind my main on xanadu and log into another main. on the new server and grind at the same time. helps the passing of the Que timer.  i use to play wurm unlimited at the same time. or just log in a ton of other alts. if i needed a lot of mats for my main to build ect...

It better be at least 3 years if they don't want the Harmony economy steamrolled.

• Like 3