Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Steam Launch FAQ

3 hours ago, Ricowan said:

I do stand by my feeling that new players won't get anywhere near the skill cap in the first week, not in any way that affects their ability to enjoy the game.  /shrug

I can tell from my own experience that starting a complete newbie end 17, playing (prolly too) much to be honest, I hit the first skill cap (resulting in annoying and molesting "recommendations" to prem by the game) not in the first but then at latest end of the second week of my playing which was totally unoptimized and widely clueless, just grinding what pleased me or I felt to need.

Skill caps are a problem insofar as most of your characteristics are capped soon, and grinding subskills then means that you are wasting characteristics gain. I felt that getting BC and BS to the necessary levels for riding, loading etc. took more effort therefore than it has taken later with my alts.

Since I haven't seen a clear response from devs, CAs, or anyone with concrete knowledge, I'd like to know if there will be a separate tutorial for the new cluster or if it will be from Haven's Landing just like everywhere else.  If it is in fact, the latter, there seems to be a rather large loophole in regards to item transfer that I'd like to be sure they are aware of.

1 hour ago, Torrden said:

Since I haven't seen a clear response from devs, CAs, or anyone with concrete knowledge, I'd like to know if there will be a separate tutorial for the new cluster or if it will be from Haven's Landing just like everywhere else.  If it is in fact, the latter, there seems to be a rather large loophole in regards to item transfer that I'd like to be sure they are aware of.

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/175888-account-name-reservation/&tab=comments#comment-1789041

On 6/13/2020 at 8:35 AM, Retrograde said:

We'll update this as we can as you ask more questions, so get asking!

Can i use the same nicknames as i used on Epic servers? The problem for me that is i made already characters with best variations of my nickname, they all prem and never will be deleted. So there is way i can use my nicknames on new servers? I really dont like to make something Nelsye,Nelsyd and etc, i already used all best variations. What i should do? Can i move my current characters to new servers just by use something like teleport with lose all skils and all items like we do by using Epic portal for teleport to Freedom and back. I just dont want create many new accounts with many new nicknames, that would be ridiculous, i already have 7 active accounts, do you want me to make enother 7 and pay their prems? I never played on Freedom, so i dont care i lose my skills there when you connect new steam servers with Freedom cluster, and when you do it i want be availeble to play with my old charactes on Epic just by using the portal. I dont want pay double just because you do want to override my character on Freedom if you plan to connect new servers to Freedom. Please, there is no point to keep it like that! This going to be fail, this is really big trouble that make me about to no even try to play new servers if i cant play my original characters, but i want to, and i believe here is many people like me!

Edit: on this post i epxlain more detailed why it ruins everything for me and why it unfair to everyone and how easely you can figureout this. 

Edited by Nelsy

Recently, Retrograde said this:  

"As much as I enjoy this conspiracy, it's mistaking a few points! 

The trailer will be rebranded as "Wurm Online Trailer" later on, with the Steam specific references removed, meaning it will describe Wurm as a whole. 

Also, the North/South Freedom Isles thing is to step away from "Steam servers" as they won't be steam only! "

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/176285-does-code-club-secretly-have-more-new-servers-already-created-and-ready-to-launch/page/2/&tab=comments#comment-1793299

4 hours ago, Nelsy said:

Can i use the same nicknames as i used on Epic servers? The problem for me that is i made already characters with best variations of my nickname, they all prem and never will be deleted. So there is way i can use my nicknames on new servers? I really dont like to make something Nelsye,Nelsyd and etc, i already used all best variations. What i should do? Can i move my current characters to new servers just by use something like teleport with lose all skils and all items like we do by using Epic portal for teleport to Freedom and back. I just dont want create many new accounts with many new nicknames, that would be ridiculous, i already have 7 active accounts, do you want me to make enother 7? Please, there is no point to keep it like that! This going to be fail, this is really big trouble that make me about to no even try to play new servers if i cant play my original characters, but i want to, and i believe here is many people like me!

Haven't we already gone over this with you a few times in other threads? It is not because they WON'T it is because they CANNOT. 

And there is a point, you cannot have a Nelsy or a Nelsyd on the new server because if they later merge Northern and Southern Freedom Isles, you would have multiple  characters with the exact same name and that would break the entire system.  

Just name them Nelsynu Nelsynorth Nelsycries Yslen Nelsii or whatever and move on. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

4 hours ago, Nelsy said:

Please, there is no point to keep it like that!

Technical limitations would be a prime reason. If their current account system doesn't allow the reuse of usernames, it's not a worthwhile investment to waste development time updating that system.

4 hours ago, Nelsy said:

This going to be fail, this is really big trouble that make me about to no even try to play new servers if i cant play my original characters, but i want to, and i believe here is many people like me!

I highly doubt that many people care so much about a username. Does it really ruin your entire experience to have to use a different username? You seem more attached to your username than the experience of actually playing on the new servers. Maybe I'm being crazy here, but I think you'll have more fun playing on the new servers with a different username than being alone on the old servers with your old username.

• Like 2

They already have SEVEN characters, six of whom are NOT named Nelsy.

It's not like they quit Wurm already once they realized their second third fourth fifth and sixth characters could not ALL be named Nelsy. 

raw

Between Retro's post confirming eventual merger and the fact that you can't use the same name in both places, I'd say you probably have nothing to worry about, Nelsy. You'll likely be able to be where you want with the name you want at some point just by plotting course and taking a sail. Wurm Online will be Wurm Online, no matter if you signed up and started on Steam or not. 

Edited by Alpengeist

16 minutes ago, Alpengeist said:

Between Retro's post confirming eventual merger

This is 100 percent FALSE, this is the post you refer to:

Absolutely nothing there "confirms" they will merge Northern and Southern Freedom Islands (names they announced some time ago), in fact there is little point in naming them as separate clusters if the intent all along is for them to all be one complete merged cluster. They gave them separate monikers (North and South) precisely because they are NOT all one cluster, but completely separate. But they need to leave open the option they "might" someday merge. They also might not.

The issue is Wurm characters are all in one database, if Nelsy goes to Wurm Shop and tries to buy premium time for Nelsy and there are already 11 different Nelsy characters running around on different servers, most of whom can sail back and forth between servers, there is no way for the system to tell which Nelsy they are buying prem time for. Every call for GM support will be confused as to who filed the report, every time Nelsy logs in the launcher will have no idea which character to log into. The universe will implode.  They have already gone through this with six previous characters they also were not allowed to name Nelsy, so it is unlikely this somehow destroys everything and life no longer has any meaning for them if their eighth character is named Yslen instead of another Nelsy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alpengeist said:

Retro's post confirming eventual merger

Tell me how you managed to divine that out of this:

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The trailer will be rebranded as "Wurm Online Trailer" later on, with the Steam specific references removed, meaning it will describe Wurm as a whole. 

Also, the North/South Freedom Isles thing is to step away from "Steam servers" as they won't be steam only! 

I was also worried that no one would know who I was it I didn't name myself something Objecty but the. I remembered who I was and figured I could name myself Boobookittyfu and people would still know exactly who it was once I started talking.

• Like 1

Question, not sure it it was answered yet, but will everyone have to go through the tutorial before being able to select the new server portal? Might want to try to make it really obvious of the two new servers, also to make sure if everyone will have to go through the tutorial that it can handle hundreds to thousands of players at the same time.

They are not going to use Haven for the new server, because there would be no way to stop existing characters from using it, or people skilling up a little in tutorial THEN being blocked. 

And I doubt after so much work into the relatively new and wonderful Haven's Landing,  which we have been begging for for literally years, they would simply remove it entirely. 

So my GUESS is, you enter a simple utilitarian "landing zone" style style login server (can wait for or meet up with friends) that has little beyond two giant portals. You pick either Northern or Southern Freedom Isles (which are marked as NEW or Olde Worlde), and that there are separate tutorials on the other side of those two portals. In turn, those tutorial cities (Haven=Southern servers, 'Northhaven'=Northern servers) will have at their end, one way portals that take you to the various PVP or PVE servers starter towns (Haven and 'Northhaven' already being the starter towns for their servers).  Luckily, you only have to do all this ONCE (per new character).  Hopefully all done in an exquisitely tasteful, totally non confusing style 

Most people will only go through ONE portal total though, to get to the new PVE server and the tutorial there.  Unless the PVP crowd really turns out in major force for their new own fresh start server (they might!!!); they'll likely have two hops.  So not so bad. And, most veterans and probably some first-timers will be skipping any and all tutorials anyways and running straight into the trees and trolls, looking for uber coastal deeds. Corpses shall litter the landscape. 

This is all just my speculation. Maybe @Retrograde will throw us some bread crumbs!!!

• Like 1

i think they should add a skip tutorial options from the get go, this might help with player bog-down and lag on getting into areas, new player who need it would still be able to use it, but anyone who has some experience can by pass the whole tutorial system completely

18 minutes ago, eldarian said:

i think they should add a skip tutorial options from the get go, this might help with player bog-down and lag on getting into areas, new player who need it would still be able to use it, but anyone who has some experience can by pass the whole tutorial system completely

There is already a /skiptutorial

• Like 3

will we be stuck with one central starter deed like most servers. or be lucky and have a few like xanadu? 

51 minutes ago, validate said:

will we be stuck with one central starter deed like most servers. or be lucky and have a few like xanadu? 

considering its the size of indy i would say 1 but i hope we get an official answer

1 hour ago, Nordlys said:

There is already a /skiptutorial

thats good...lol been a long time since i did a new toon

14 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

And there is a point, you cannot have a Nelsy or a Nelsyd on the new server because if they later merge Northern and Southern Freedom Isles, you would have multiple  characters with the exact same name and that would break the entire system. 

im not palying freedom so why i can't ? 

14 hours ago, Razorblade said:

Technical limitations would be a prime reason. If their current account system doesn't allow the reuse of usernames, it's not a worthwhile investment to waste development time updating that system.

I highly doubt that many people care so much about a username. Does it really ruin your entire experience to have to use a different username? You seem more attached to your username than the experience of actually playing on the new servers. Maybe I'm being crazy here, but I think you'll have more fun playing on the new servers with a different username than being alone on the old servers with your old username.

im not playing freedom so actually i totaly not understed why i cant use my nicknames for newservers, they still can mege new servers to freedom it if they want, you just not undestand how it works. In case some one play on freedom, he will lose his skills after merge, that why they dont want do that. But why I cant, if i dont care about skills of freedom?

they later merge Northern and Southern Freedom Isles

So as i told i dont care about my current version of character of freedom, because i playing on epic, ok? so one reason to use same names to be able get my skills from new servers on freedom. But in your option, i will have 14 accounts and if i want play on epic i have to relogin instead of just enter epic portal as it supposed to be, thats stupid. Why they cant just make smart migration and let ppl choose what skills they want save, old ones or from new servers. WHY! That so yeasy to do! But you ask me to pay for enother 7 prems, like you trying to rob me, that what i feel! I dont need enother 7 accounts, just becasue they say "maybe wil will migrate but we can't tell now for sure". But even if they will migrage i dont see any trouble to  let ppl choose. 

Edited by Nelsy

They already have SEVEN characters, six of whom are NOT named Nelsy.

It's not like they quit Wurm already once they realized their second third fourth fifth and sixth characters could not ALL be named Nelsy. 

Just name them Nelsynu Nelsynorth Nelsycries Yslen Nelsii or whatever and move on. 

And dont tell me what i should do in such manner, i never ask you, ok?! what the impudence is shocked, I'm here to share my problem for devs, not for you

Edited by Nelsy

20 hours ago, Razorblade said:

Does it really ruin your entire experience to have to use a different username?

It ruins, because i cant use epic portal when they merge new servers to freedom to be able to play my old characters there and sustain their deeds. So in that case to play my old chars from epic i must relogin, and actually must sustain 2 differend prems accounts even if we talking about not about my seven accounts but only about my main account. So the main reason im not agree you suggestions, that im not playing on feedom, and new servers is great option for me to start play on freedom cluster in future, but this option doesnt work in case i cant use my current accounts. Everything will be resolved if they just let ppl choose what skills they want save old ones or new ones on merge, which maybe(will) happen. But for now, they just can make new portal to be able pple go to new servers. For example, i have Vynora priest on Epic, if i want have Vynora priest on Freedom i just enter epic portal, right? But in case you sugested i must have two accounts with two different payments, why i should pay double if i never palyed of freedom and i dont care what happened with my char on Freedom cluster on migration from new servers? Even if i played on Freedom, and new servers acts as new cluster, why i cant use somehting like "steam portal" to go there and being notified that it can be migrated and in such case i might choose between create new account or override old characer skils on Freedom - this is perfect decision and not hard to do. For now you(Devs) only have to do new portal and notifications, the implemetation of fair gerge you can do later. But to be fair Devs should decide, they will merge or not and acts fair way for all ppl, but this is unfair to say: "maybe we will migrate steam servers to Freedom and there happen little issue we dont want figureout, so you must pay us for new account, and pay for old account aswell if you want to sustain your things there.." - is it really how you do in 2020 democracy? This always not easy to do it right way, but this is not as hard to create new portal now, and after years create option to choose old skills to save or override, in case you want save you change your nickname and create new account.  And when they will megrate new servers to old one they let ppl chose what skills to save old ones or new ones. If some one want split theyr skill he pay new account like we do it normaly, but why i should pay new acc if i dont want split anything?

Edited by Nelsy