Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Steam Launch FAQ

1 hour ago, JamesSnow said:

is there any chance that there will be 1 week of free prem when the servers launch? this would give people who have never played a chance to fully experience the game and would be greatly appreciated by everyone in general. a lot of old players who didn't plan on playing again might give it a try if the first week was free and get sucked back into it.

Great idea!

If you get to the non-Premium cap within a week, you might be playing too much.  :D

23 hours ago, Ricowan said:

If you get to the non-Premium cap within a week, you might be playing too much.  :D

An hour or 2 is playing too much?... because that's all it takes if you are going for certain skills.

Edited by Lotus1
  • Like 1

/shrug  That's not my experience at all.  Most people I know only have 6 to 8 hours a week to play games, and that's split between multiple games, in most cases.  I have no idea what the average number of hours per week is for most Wurm players though, so maybe my group of friends is the outlier.

And yes, if you're *playing* the game and not just grinding on a specific set of skills, at the vanilla skill rate, it will take more than a few hours to get any skill up to the cap (which I thought had been raised above 20 for non-premium, but that could be wrong too).  Hell, I'm usually still exploring the map by the end of the first one or two hours!  :D  When Pristine opened, it was nearly two weeks after the opening day before I got above 20 in any skill.  Again, maybe my experience isn't the average, but then again, maybe yours isn't either?

If you think it takes a few hours to get *any* skill to 20 you just dont know what you're doing. Just because your idea of playing the game is exploring the server every day for 2 hours doesnt mean that's how everyone does it.

Anyway IMO the 1 week free premium could really help to get people hooked, might be a good idea for the steam launch. I've seen a few games that give you some premium time just after finishing the tutorial, so you can see what you can expect from the game. People could check out the mark store, get their skills high enough to ride a horse or sail around for a bit, which might encourage them to prem up for real. Most of the WO players are gonna prem up anyway, so it would be mostly targeted for the new steam audience.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ricowan said:

Most people I know only have 6 to 8 hours a week to play games, and that's split between multiple games, in most cases. 

i imagine the average potential new player would have more free time due to school/work closures from corona, especially if theyre looking at new mmo's to pass the time

13 minutes ago, Diablo said:

what time exactly will the servers open up? 12am? 

On 7/12/2020 at 5:29 PM, Retrograde said:

Right now we don't have an exact time of day for the launch but expect it to be evening Central European Time. 

• Like 1

Can we get exact clarification on what will transfer between PvP and PvE servers?

Will body stats transfer? Will fighting skill? Channeling/Faith?

Edited by phennexion
  • Like 1

just had a thought.  our current client only allows us 5 accounts per email address i think.  

when we use steam will it ask for an email address. or just use our steam account?

it would be supper annoying to go and create a steam account, and find out i can't use it because my steam email and wurm online email is the same, and i've maxed my accounts with that email

it's not easy nor fun having to change a steam email. and i'd hate to delete my current characters on live .

so i ask again will the steam account creation just use steam ID  or will it require emails.  or even better take off the 5 limit to the emails... 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 9:41 AM, Ricowan said:

/shrug  That's not my experience at all.  Most people I know only have 6 to 8 hours a week to play games, and that's split between multiple games, in most cases.  I have no idea what the average number of hours per week is for most Wurm players though, so maybe my group of friends is the outlier.

And yes, if you're *playing* the game and not just grinding on a specific set of skills, at the vanilla skill rate, it will take more than a few hours to get any skill up to the cap (which I thought had been raised above 20 for non-premium, but that could be wrong too).  Hell, I'm usually still exploring the map by the end of the first one or two hours!  :D  When Pristine opened, it was nearly two weeks after the opening day before I got above 20 in any skill.  Again, maybe my experience isn't the average, but then again, maybe yours isn't either?

Most real wurm players put 4 to 8 hrs a day in...alot of retired ppl play wurm and regardless of that u can get above the cap in less then a few hrs...it takes an experienced player only a few hrs to hit lol 20+ in a skill...now this Doesn't include new ppl who never played. This is those of us who have been playing for years. And tbh if you know what ur doing skills like fs you can get to 70 in 2 days...all it takes is dedication. Don't forget day 1 will have a skill bonus increase for everyone.

16 minutes ago, validate said:

it's not easy nor fun having to change a steam email. and i'd hate to delete my current characters on live .

Instead of changing your steam email, just change the email your current characters are on. Now you have five open slots again on your steam email.

No need to delete anyone.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

39 minutes ago, validate said:

just had a thought.  our current client only allows us 5 accounts per email address i think.  

when we use steam will it ask for an email address. or just use our steam account?

it would be supper annoying to go and create a steam account, and find out i can't use it because my steam email and wurm online email is the same, and i've maxed my accounts with that email

so i ask again will the steam account creation just use steam ID  or will it require emails.  or even better take off the 5 limit to the emails... 

Not bothering to find quote but I'm positive it has been said that the steam account will be used; not the email registered to the steam account. Shouldn't be any issues

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Instead of changing your steam email, just change the email your current characters are on. Now you have five open slots again on your steam email.

No need to delete anyone.

thats also a pain to do. i use to have like 20+ alts  back when i owned trader deeds before xanadu . long story short. i have too many emails already lol  .  what also sucks is i have 3 steam accounts, and they are also using wurm emails for alt accounts lol.  so i  Jore is right. or they fix it before next friday. 

Just create a proxy account, lots of email systems let you create proxies like name1@mailsystem.com being the proxy but the mails are routed to your main account

1 hour ago, eldarian said:

Most real wurm players put 4 to 8 hrs a day in...alot of retired ppl play wurm and regardless of that u can get above the cap in less then a few hrs...it takes an experienced player only a few hrs to hit lol 20+ in a skill...now this Doesn't include new ppl who never played. This is those of us who have been playing for years. And tbh if you know what ur doing skills like fs you can get to 70 in 2 days...all it takes is dedication. Don't forget day 1 will have a skill bonus increase for everyone.

Sorry, but I have great difficulty believing a lot of that.  I explore a lot and I also don't play to grind skills; I play to play BUT I am almost 8 months in, and don't have a skill over 50 yet (blacksmithing being the highest in mid 40s).  In order to get my body strength up, I have been grinding on blacksmithing fairly seriously for the last couple of weeks, at least a couple of hours per day, and increased it 10-15 skill points.

Sure, someone who has the mechanics down pat could get a skill to the cap quickly - maybe even in a few hours for some skills - but 1 skill at a time and probably only the "basic" ones, and getting a handful of 70s would make "grind" too weak a word for it.

Maybe I'm wrong.  Starting off with 1 in all skills, with a crappy hatchet, saw, shovel and pick.  No forge, no mines, no fight skill, so even pheasants will kill you.  Can't ride a horse.  What if there's no clay near spawn, or rats/wild cats?

If you want to dig and drop dirt for an hour, sure, maybe you can hit digging 20...  what else can you hit 20 at in an hour?  Carpentry?  Wood cutting?  I'm not convinced, but I'll wait and see.

I've been playing the game for about 10 years now.  Call me a casual if you want, but I work 40 hours a week and I play games other than Wurm.

/shrug

• Like 4

Rico I feel like you didn’t understand my post. I said it would be a good idea for the first week of the new launch to have free prem to give everyone the CHANCE to experience the game. Some people won’t get any skills above 20 in a week, some will. Everyone has their own play style. How does it hurt anyone for new players to have prem for a week to see if they like the game? What is the negative side of people being able to play the full game free for a week? Because that is what you are arguing against. I want as many new players to stick around as possible so the game doesn’t get stale and die off. So why not try to give new players the chance to get into wurm? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricowan said:

Maybe I'm wrong.  Starting off with 1 in all skills, with a crappy hatchet, saw, shovel and pick.  No forge, no mines, no fight skill, so even pheasants will kill you.  Can't ride a horse.  What if there's no clay near spawn, or rats/wild cats?

If you want to dig and drop dirt for an hour, sure, maybe you can hit digging 20...  what else can you hit 20 at in an hour?  Carpentry?  Wood cutting?  I'm not convinced, but I'll wait and see.

I've been playing the game for about 10 years now.  Call me a casual if you want, but I work 40 hours a week and I play games other than Wurm.

/shrug

Talking about going way far off
Newbie starting armor and weapons have an high effective ql so its easy for them to kill rats or pheasants 
Getting a skill to 20+ is real easy to do no matter what it is plus does it really matter if its in a hour or a few hours? its not a rush to 100 game mode
Generally speaking finding clay wont be hard or tar or anything like that adding in they will probably make a tutorial similar to indy's(they would be stupid not to) so that wont really be an issue
Even if they dont people will band together to make a community mine they always have plenty of peeps will stick around starting town live nearby run community stuff and so on so in the end the only thing you will miss out on is cant ride a horse which ehh go ride a cow as for pelts they should have learned from jackal so im sure spawn rates wont be that bad

And again it is a new cluster there for people who are new and people who have the time to try it out it is not a requirement for people to join it there is nothing there other then "oh look new map" that is new anyway its just yet another wurm server nothing new besides that

9 hours ago, JamesSnow said:

Rico I feel like you didn’t understand my post. I said it would be a good idea for the first week of the new launch to have free prem to give everyone the CHANCE to experience the game. Some people won’t get any skills above 20 in a week, some will. Everyone has their own play style. How does it hurt anyone for new players to have prem for a week to see if they like the game? What is the negative side of people being able to play the full game free for a week? Because that is what you are arguing against. I want as many new players to stick around as possible so the game doesn’t get stale and die off. So why not try to give new players the chance to get into wurm? 

I never once argued against the idea.  All I said was, if you're getting to skill cap in the first week you might be playing the game too much.

I do stand by my feeling that new players won't get anywhere near the skill cap in the first week, not in any way that affects their ability to enjoy the game.  /shrug

8 hours ago, wipeout said:

Talking about going way far off
Newbie starting armor and weapons have an high effective ql so its easy for them to kill rats or pheasants 
Getting a skill to 20+ is real easy to do no matter what it is plus does it really matter if its in a hour or a few hours? its not a rush to 100 game mode
Generally speaking finding clay wont be hard or tar or anything like that adding in they will probably make a tutorial similar to indy's(they would be stupid not to) so that wont really be an issue
Even if they dont people will band together to make a community mine they always have plenty of peeps will stick around starting town live nearby run community stuff and so on so in the end the only thing you will miss out on is cant ride a horse which ehh go ride a cow as for pelts they should have learned from jackal so im sure spawn rates wont be that bad

And again it is a new cluster there for people who are new and people who have the time to try it out it is not a requirement for people to join it there is nothing there other then "oh look new map" that is new anyway its just yet another wurm server nothing new besides that

Unless the game has changed significantly since Pristine was released (we didn't get any armor, just a low QL sword and shield, and players were dying left and right to just about everything, including rats and pheasants).

I was responding to the posts that said if you can't hit the skill cap in an hour you are not playing the game correctly.  That's all.

5 minutes ago, Ricowan said:

Unless the game has changed significantly since Pristine was released (we didn't get any armor, just a low QL sword and shield, and players were dying left and right to just about everything, including rats and pheasants).

I was responding to the posts that said if you can't hit the skill cap in an hour you are not playing the game correctly.  That's all.

It has become quite more newbie friendly yes and they learned a lot(i hope i really do) from jackal launch that i hope they bring over to this release atleast for pve on pvp leave it difficult to find pelts

4 minutes ago, Ricowan said:

I do stand by my feeling that new players won't get anywhere near the skill cap in the first week, not in any way that affects their ability to enjoy the game.  /shrug

it takes like 3-4 hours of doing actions in total to get to the 20 characteristic cap from 19.5 (I remember i hit 20 body control before i even finished building my house last time i started) , and being allowed to go above that would unlock riding horses/carts/bash things pretty fast and keep the ability to use them after losing prem, all of which i would say have a pretty decent effect on the games enjoyment.

people usually play games a lot when they first pick them up then over time lose interest, that's like every game release ever, if they don't hit the cap then what does it matter they don't lose anything but still have a chance for affinities/supremes/all that other nice stuff that being prem gives. Like i said before, plenty of people on lockdown from corona, plenty of people working reduced hours, plenty of people on school holidays (atleast here in australia), plenty of people off work. Lots of potential players that have hours of free time a day that could be looking for a new game and could be enticed by a free trial of premium, not everyone only has a few hours a week to play video games.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Sorry, but I have great difficulty believing a lot of that.  I explore a lot and I also don't play to grind skills; I play to play BUT I am almost 8 months in, and don't have a skill over 50 yet (blacksmithing being the highest in mid 40s).  In order to get my body strength up, I have been grinding on blacksmithing fairly seriously for the last couple of weeks, at least a couple of hours per day, and increased it 10-15 skill points.

Sure, someone who has the mechanics down pat could get a skill to the cap quickly - maybe even in a few hours for some skills - but 1 skill at a time and probably only the "basic" ones, and getting a handful of 70s would make "grind" too weak a word for it.

Lol that's the thing most vets have all mechanics down and I'll tell u now I have a new guy in my village who got his digging to 70 in 2 days...so my argument stands....

42 minutes ago, Ricowan said:

I never once argued against the idea.  All I said was, if you're getting to skill cap in the first week you might be playing the game too much.

And tbh you can have ur oppinion about how much people play. But that's not for you to judge either...you don't know what anyways life is like and so you have no place in saying what is to much playtime. Ppl play for all kinds of reason so let them play however much they want.