Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Steam Launch FAQ

1 hour ago, bdew said:

Steam usually takes 30% cut from all sales, including buying stuff in game (so prem/silver).

They also usually require developers to not allow players that got the game though steam to use any other payment method that isn't steam (so you likely won't be able to use the web store to buy prem/silver for your steam characters).

#hype🙄

2 hours ago, bdew said:

Steam usually takes 30% cut from all sales, including buying stuff in game (so prem/silver).

They also usually require developers to not allow players that got the game though steam to use any other payment method that isn't steam (so you likely won't be able to use the web store to buy prem/silver for your steam characters).

I wondered about that too and about how for example Eve is doing that

Hmm, so I poked around a bit on the Eve-Steam payment connections, thanks to BDew & Sklo's posts.   I do not know if this page is relevant or not.  Especially check the "reviews", it is Mostly Negative due to people  buying coins and premium time to use on a character they created, and instead it went onto a generic character the steam shop auto-generates "for them". No refunds/no exceptions. 

Especially:

• "Be careful when you link your account with Steam, they will add a newby account and if you want a subscription they will add it to that new account. Steam won't give you the money back."
  • ""I have a steam created account and yet this purchase did not work for me at all, $70 bucks down the drain what a waste. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS PAGE BUY FROM INSIDE THE GAME ONLY. NO MATTER WHERE YOU STARTED YOUR ACCOUNT. I recommend the game but not buying from Steam.""
  • "I had $15 stolen from me basically from this silly system. It will automatically create an account for you and apply it to that account and not any preexisting accounts. An account I never even applied for, opened, or launched. When I filed for a refund they said it had play time and could not be refunded. Bull****.

Even when people had 0 playtime, Steam refused any refunds. 

I think for the first couple of months,  I will be creating my "new server" characters through the old launcher and buying only through the wurm store, just to be safe.  And not linking my accounts to Steam till I see how it is working several months down the line. 

As BDew notes, it does not sound like you can go back-and-forth between Steam Store/Launcher and Wurm Store/Launcher without a few possible kinks. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

I use both Steam and GOG (GOG is old school - you pay, you download, you play, and without any DRM headache and you don't have to validate your game online). I can only think of one reason why an existing Wurm player would choose Steam over the current system when creating a new account because otherwise you're just adding an additional complication to the entire process. If you have an issue logging in then you have to first ascertain if it's an issue with the game, or with Steam. And since it was recently explained in the last live stream that if you create a Wurm account through Steam, then you must login to that account using Steam, but your old account will still be locked to the current system so in the future, you would have to juggle a bit depending on which account you wanted to login with.

Aside from that, steam auth servers fail too often imo and when that happens, you can't login to any game using Steam. It's been so bad in the past, that on three occasions, I repurchased the same game, but through GOG so that I could play it without Steam authentication. Steam is also often used as a scapegoat. For example, there is a game killing bug in Subnautica that makes the game unplayable (can't save, can't exit, can't bring up menu), the devs blame Steam, Steam blames the devs and because they both refuse responsibility, that major bug was never fixed. Steam also uses cheat detection that often gives a false positive, my screen recorder for example will often crash steam with a warning about using 3rd party apps.

1 hour ago, Whane said:

I use both Steam and GOG (GOG is old school - you pay, you download, you play, and without any DRM headache and you don't have to validate your game online). I can only think of one reason why an existing Wurm player would choose Steam over the current system when creating a new account because otherwise you're just adding an additional complication to the entire process. If you have an issue logging in then you have to first ascertain if it's an issue with the game, or with Steam. And since it was recently explained in the last live stream that if you create a Wurm account through Steam, then you must login to that account using Steam, but your old account will still be locked to the current system so in the future, you would have to juggle a bit depending on which account you wanted to login with.

Aside from that, steam auth servers fail too often imo and when that happens, you can't login to any game using Steam. It's been so bad in the past, that on three occasions, I repurchased the same game, but through GOG so that I could play it without Steam authentication. Steam is also often used as a scapegoat. For example, there is a game killing bug in Subnautica that makes the game unplayable (can't save, can't exit, can't bring up menu), the devs blame Steam, Steam blames the devs and because they both refuse responsibility, that major bug was never fixed. Steam also uses cheat detection that often gives a false positive, my screen recorder for example will often crash steam with a warning about using 3rd party apps.

The question is will Steam allow to purchase a subscription for Steam servers via the old non steam way, I mean that would mean Steam loosing money, so not sure how the agreement is treating a free game with paid subscription. Never played a free game with subscriptions via Steam, like most people.

Steam accounts will only be able to buy silver coins and premium time through a new in-game store that uses the Steam store as the back-end, and possibly some options on the Steam store itself. You can't use our existing shop for Steam accounts, and you also will not be able to link existing non-Steam Wurm Online characters to your Steam account.

I am sure there are some people who would like to use whatever option keeps as much as possible in the hands of Wurm developers

That will always be buying directly from our shop on the website, using a regular Wurm Online account :) 

As others mentioned, Steam does take a cut from all the payments done through Steam's services.

We'll work on updating the FAQ with some more of the asked questions.

• Like 3

Thanks, that is super useful to know and needs to make it into the "page one" post.

I intend to use the classic Wurm launcher and classic Wurm shop exclusively then.

Steam is a great idea for drawing in new people, but existing players should probably strongly consider rolling up any new characters using only the normal wurm launcher...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

so not sure how the agreement is treating a free game with paid subscription. Never played a free game with subscriptions via Steam, like most people.

Steam doesn't care, their general policy is that if a user got the game on steam (free or not) - all in game purchases must go through steam and they get their cut.

Only exception i know is if you sell physical stuff like "time cards" for subscription (but idk if you need to negotiate some separate agreement with Valve to do that).

18 minutes ago, Samool said:

Steam accounts will only be able to buy silver coins and premium time through a new in-game store that uses the Steam store as the back-end, and possibly some options on the Steam store itself. You can't use our existing shop for Steam accounts, and you also will not be able to link existing non-Steam Wurm Online characters to your Steam account.

That will always be buying directly from our shop on the website, using a regular Wurm Online account :) 

As others mentioned, Steam does take a cut from all the payments done through Steam's services.

We'll work on updating the FAQ with some more of the asked questions.

But then it is clear that steam servers can never ever be linked to existing servers, since that would for sure violate some policies.

1 minute ago, Sklo:D said:

But then it is clear that steam servers can never ever be linked to existing servers, since that would for sure violate some policies.

I don't see any contradiction here. If you've read up, you know you can connect to the new servers both from the standalone client and the Steam client. You can also use the Steam client to play on say Independence, and pay through Steam. Nothing blocking us from connecting the servers in the future, and the Steam store part isn't at all related to the new servers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Samool said:

I don't see any contradiction here. If you've read up, you know you can connect to the new servers both from the standalone client and the Steam client. You can also use the Steam client to play on say Independence, and pay through Steam. Nothing blocking us from connecting the servers in the future, and the Steam store part isn't at all related to the new servers.

Still that would open the possibility to bypass the steam store via the old ingame shop even for the Steam part of the game. Not sure if that would be something that is allowed on Steam.

3 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

Still that would open the possibility to bypass the steam store via the old ingame shop even for the Steam part of the game. Not sure if that would be something that is allowed on Steam.

Why? if your character was created from steam, you can only use steam to log into it - regardless of what server it's on or if they are linked. Same check will be used to block them from the non-steam web store.

You could make another non-steam character to buy silver and give it to your steam character (and that's not against valve or cc policies), but prem is still bound to the character you buy it on.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, bdew said:

Why? if your character was created from steam, you can only use steam to log into it - regardless of what server it's on or if they are linked. Same check will be used to block them from the non-steam web store.

You could make another non-steam character to buy silver and give it to your steam character (and that's not against valve or cc policies), but prem is still bound to the character you buy it on.

Didn't they say you can log into with a non-steam client even if the character was created via steam?

As of now I just have no idea what they are doing, it seems that it just becomes a huge mess and nobody has an idea of what's going on

Edited by Sklo:D

13 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

Didn't they say you can log into with a non-steam client even if the character was created via steam?

As of now I just have no idea what they are doing, it seems that it just becomes a huge mess and nobody has an idea of what's going on

Youre just misunderstanding a bit. I understand it look a bit messy, and page one should maybe be a bit clearer. 

Correct me if im wrong, @Samool:

- You can create a toon through steam and play on all servers.

- You can create a toon through wurm and play on all servers.

- If you create a toon through wurm you cannot log in with it through steam, and vice versa.

- If you play through steam there will be an own shop for steam players.

- If you create a toon through wurm there will be the already known shop methods for players that log in through wurm.

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 2

That is all correct Nordlys.

Updated the first post to explain that better and added some other answers.

• Like 3

On 6/13/2020 at 12:28 AM, Jeston said:

it would have to be super successful to add another island and I would see that long down the road anyway, seems to be no one will be using boats a lot unless they make many nice islands and inland rivers

Boats will be really important early servers because there will be no roads and it means safer travel. To believe boats would be useless because it's not connected would be a real mistake.

• Like 4

Does the extra skillgain event have an end date set yet? Trying to figure out my schedule for later this month. 

• Like 1

So the only benefit I see for existing Wurm players to choose Steam for new characters, is the option to pay via a Steam gift card.

On 6/29/2020 at 4:34 PM, Ripsipiirakka said:

Important question here, despite the steam accounts being very seperate will there be possibility in future to be able to connect to old accounts through steam? Although i am interested in the new release i would still love to be able to log into my old character as well.

I was wondering this too. Path of Exile for example allows you to connect your Steam account to an existing Path of Exile account. After that you can use both the steam store and the Path of Exile store to buy stuff and you can login through both clients. It would be great if that worked for Wurm as well, so I could for example connect one of my characters to my steam account and then use either client to login on that character.

Edited by Ecrir

19 hours ago, Ecrir said:

I was wondering this too. Path of Exile for example allows you to connect your Steam account to an existing Path of Exile account. After that you can use both the steam store and the Path of Exile store to buy stuff and you can login through both clients. It would be great if that worked for Wurm as well, so I could for example connect one of my characters to my steam account and then use either client to login on that character.

Yeah, Warframe is doing that too. And you can buy their ingame curreny via their website but use Steam to pay for it.

FF14 also has an own shop where you can buy stuff regardless if your account is a Steam account or a non steam account (even though they have the limitation that Steam accounts can only use Steam and non Steam accounts can't use steam to log in) so there certainly are different ways to handle the Steam integration. I also hope it will have more loose limitations in the future. 

so me an my mates had a few questions sorry if they have been asked I didn't read every post in the whole thread lol.

Anyways I was wondering about server transferring between pvp and pve. Will the system be similar to how epic works and we will be able to build portals inside deed to port back and forth. also when porting with skills will all skills transfer, was curious how the faith system will work. if you faith would reset and only keep channeling like the epic portal transfer is, or if everything with that would transfer as well.

my next question is if there will be a map dump prior to release so we can see at least the shape of the servers or if it will be dumpless for some time like in previous releases. just a little info about what type of terrain base the servers are going to be would be most appreciated.

iv heard rumors that there will not be the lib faith can we get confirmation on which faiths there will be, and also will pmks still be a thing for pvp, rumors say they wont and I would like to confirm thanks.

thank you for your time.

removed post, was addressed farther up.

Edited by eldarian
removed

On 6/29/2020 at 8:04 PM, Brash_Endeavors said:

Hmm, so I poked around a bit on the Eve-Steam payment connections, thanks to BDew & Sklo's posts.   I do not know if this page is relevant or not.  Especially check the "reviews", it is Mostly Negative due to people  buying coins and premium time to use on a character they created, and instead it went onto a generic character the steam shop auto-generates "for them". No refunds/no exceptions. 

Especially:

• "Be careful when you link your account with Steam, they will add a newby account and if you want a subscription they will add it to that new account. Steam won't give you the money back."
  • ""I have a steam created account and yet this purchase did not work for me at all, $70 bucks down the drain what a waste. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS PAGE BUY FROM INSIDE THE GAME ONLY. NO MATTER WHERE YOU STARTED YOUR ACCOUNT. I recommend the game but not buying from Steam.""
  • "I had $15 stolen from me basically from this silly system. It will automatically create an account for you and apply it to that account and not any preexisting accounts. An account I never even applied for, opened, or launched. When I filed for a refund they said it had play time and could not be refunded. Bull****.

Even when people had 0 playtime, Steam refused any refunds. 

I think for the first couple of months,  I will be creating my "new server" characters through the old launcher and buying only through the wurm store, just to be safe.  And not linking my accounts to Steam till I see how it is working several months down the line. 

As BDew notes, it does not sound like you can go back-and-forth between Steam Store/Launcher and Wurm Store/Launcher without a few possible kinks. 

The reason this happens is because on EVE you can have up to 3 characters per account vs us having onlu one. The issue comes when you have more than one and you want the time to apply to your second or third character, most notable when a player purchases a character through character sales but it ends up not being their primary character. This ends up being issues with the multi training character thing. 

It is also an issue with non steam users trying to purchase through steam cuz of its specials. They don't know Steam only works for steam accounts and non steam ones have no way to get it to apply to them. This has been clearly explained by both steam and ccp.

Steam never worked for EVE. Its a terrible system.

Edited by Angelklaine

@SamoolMake sure that the separation of accounts is clearly stated on both steam and Wurm shops, or you will end up with a ton of unhappy players when they feel they been duped, and most of the time they will blame the devs, not Steam.

4 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

@SamoolMake sure that the separation of accounts is clearly stated on both steam and Wurm shops, or you will end up with a ton of unhappy players when they feel they been duped, and most of the time they will blame the devs, not Steam.

It's pretty foolproof - our shop won't allow you to purchase items for a Steam account, and you won't be able to buy from the Steam store on non-Steam accounts.

At the start we'll be using the Steam microtransaction systems that require you to be logged in to your character, if we also use the Steam store through DLCs (like EVE does), we'll make sure it's clearly stated that it only applies to those accounts.

• Like 7