Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Steam Launch FAQ

On 6/12/2020 at 9:44 PM, Retrograde said:

Thats what the PvP discussions are for. 

As for a small select few it never works, it has been tried and we'd rather talk with everyone. 

But then how will a small group of people win a popularity contest by getting their friends to come out of the woodwork and upvote them, so we can get game decisions made based on the interests of a small group of players, and not properly considering the insights and ideas of everyone? 

Surely the opinions of a few very popular people are more valuable than full and open discussion with everyone?

/s

(Thank you Retrograde for making the right call here!)

• Cat 1

One thing I haven't really seen mentioned much - transferring money to the new steam servers. 

Even though the new servers are completely disconnected from the old ones, surely people aren't going to be told they can't use money that they've (sometimes) purchased from the Wurm store on the new servers?

• Cat 1

28 minutes ago, BrokenSanity said:

One thing I haven't really seen mentioned much - transferring money to the new steam servers. 

Even though the new servers are completely disconnected from the old ones, surely people aren't going to be told they can't use money that they've (sometimes) purchased from the Wurm store on the new servers?

money transfer will hurt the Income for the game, plus a lot of coins on freedom are from trader draining, big fat no to coins transferring over imo,

• Cat 1

On 6/14/2020 at 9:59 AM, Sklo:D said:

Servers are 1024x1024, 2048x2048, 4096x4096, 8192x8192, 16384x16384, but everything above 4096 is horrible laggy, see Xanadu.

if i remember correctly, the initial plan was for what ended up being xanadu to be 4 times large or 8 times or something crazy, but all tests on those sizes just failed horribly. it was too much too handle.

Awesome this is exciting, played alot of WU and am excited to get into WO through Steam!

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

On 6/17/2020 at 11:40 AM, Rauros said:

well, it's just anecdotal, but i don't play wurm for pvp...

That's not anecdotal though. You're not making a claim about the fact of some matter based on limited personal experiences, you're making a statement about your gameplay preferences. No anecdotes involved.

How many Kingdoms are we going to start with? Do we have one server each per Kingdom?

2 hours ago, Onyx349 said:

How many Kingdoms are we going to start with? Do we have one server each per Kingdom?

One server per kingdom? where it was like that? and do you think it's a smart move? like, how you can make pvp on another kingdom if it's on another server? O_o

2 hours ago, Rauros said:

One server per kingdom? where it was like that? and do you think it's a smart move? like, how you can make pvp on another kingdom if it's on another server? O_o

I have never played on Epic, but were not Elevation Desertion Affliction Serenity four 'servers' that made up one PVP cluster?  

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Desertion

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Affliction

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Serenity

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Afaik its one map for freedom, MR, JK and BL unless they decide 2 kingdom pvp is way better than 3 way pvp :)

On 6/23/2020 at 10:19 AM, BrokenSanity said:

There wont be a way to transfer coins. Coins are items and the only way to transfer them is through mail or trade. Given new accounts for the steam servers wont have any contact with old ones, there is no way to transfer silver back and forth.

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

There wont be a way to transfer coins. Coins are items and the only way to transfer them is through mail or trade. Given new accounts for the steam servers wont have any contact with old ones, there is no way to transfer silver back and forth.

Yes.  See this;

I am not sure I understand the second bit about trading.

3 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Yes.  See this;

It means that both clients do exactly the same thing. They both launch you to Wurm and they both will allow you to connect to either "Wurm Steam" servers or the Freedom servers.

The thing is when you create a "Wurm Steam" character, you can use either client to log in, but it will log in its own server (Wurm Steam) and will have absolutely no contact to the old servers. You can't mail to it, sail to these servers, or meet your new character face to face. That means there is no way for you to send your already purchased currency to it.

The servers are completely separate. There is no connection to them. The characters are completely separate. There is no way to mail/meet your steam characters. Think of it all as being Freedom vs Jackal with no way to cross over.

So no, there is no way to give your new characters your old silver.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

The "second bit"  was this:

Samool:  ""As those aren't out of game assets, if you're inclined to do that, (according to the current rules) you can trade with other players by paying them with in-game items on another cluster, if that's what you're asking about."

I read it to suggest this:

Say you have lots of silver on Old Servers, you want to get silver to a new reroll on New Servers without paying cash to the shop again, but there is of course no way to do this directly.  However, you could offer say 30 silver on the old servers, for say 10 silver on the new silver. Obviously, "new server silver" is more "valuable" as it is not inflated,  so it is not going to be 1:1.  And since you cannot send anything from old to new, both parties need characters on both servers to do this kind of trade. But it could be cheaper for you if you are flush with assets on one server, and poor with assets on the other. You simply have to make the trade appealing to someone.  Another example,  if you instead need silver on the old cluster, instead of buying 10s direct from the shop, you buy 10s from the shop on a new cluster character, and then trade it for an "inflated" amount of coin on the old servers. It actually kind of acts as a money sink for the old servers.  You can also trade items for coins using the same process.

The silver coins themselves would never directly go between servers, you are just trading "Old World Assets" for "New World Assets".  No real world money changes hands. Each party to the trade would need a character on both old / new, and a certain amount of trust. No items or coins ever cross servers. 

In other words, TECHNICALLY you cannot send silver from one cluster to another cluster. But, with a little bit of juggling, you CAN trade game world items on old server for game world items on new server. Again, no items or coins ever cross servers.  Obviously it gets a little more complicated, but if I understand what he is saying,  Samool is letting you know that's "legal" to do.  I believe but am not sure, that the only "forbidden" is if you try to sell either characters/accounts, or anything that involves real world money. No RMT, just good old fashion trading game assets for game assets.

• Like 1

Not sure if asked before but will characters be connected to the same database as the current servers. As in I already have a Egard character I won’t be able to create one on steam named Egard. 

33 minutes ago, Egard said:

Not sure if asked before but will characters be connected to the same database as the current servers. As in I already have a Egard character I won’t be able to create one on steam named Egard. 

Correct! 

• Like 2

Was there ever a decision made over the same day release of pvp

• Like 4

On 6/13/2020 at 4:35 AM, Retrograde said:

We'll update this as we can as you ask more questions, so get asking!

When will your post be updated?

We still dont know almost anything about the PVP server.

Please give us something, we are losing our HYPE  :)

Edited by Ryaanna

Important question here, despite the steam accounts being very seperate will there be possibility in future to be able to connect to old accounts through steam? Although i am interested in the new release i would still love to be able to log into my old character as well.

• Like 1

That brings up a somewhat related question -- how exactly does Steam profit? From shop sales on steam launcher accounts,  or from none of it since it is supposedly "Free To Play"?

I am sure there are some people who would like to use whatever option keeps as much as possible in the hands of Wurm developers, although I suppose there is also the chance that *no* monies go to Code Club any longer, they instead go instead to "those new owners" who then pay Rolf his share based on all their games?

In any case, if there is any difference in which/how monies go directly to Wurm developers, I am sure most players would like to use that option.

2 hours ago, Ripsipiirakka said:

Important question here, despite the steam accounts being very seperate will there be possibility in future to be able to connect to old accounts through steam? Although i am interested in the new release i would still love to be able to log into my old character as well.

Unlikely, since the Steam client will rely on Steam authentication, while the old server accounts won't.

2 hours ago, Ripsipiirakka said:

I'm confused what you mean by "very seperate"

The only difference between steam accounts and non steam accounts is the fact that one uses Steam to log into the game, while the other uses the current client. 

Feel free to log in your current character if you wish, it's not going anywhere, but you will only be able to play on the new servers with a new character, which can be either steam or non steam 

Edited by atazs

55 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

That brings up a somewhat related question -- how exactly does Steam profit? From shop sales on steam launcher accounts,  or from none of it since it is supposedly "Free To Play"?

I am sure there are some people who would like to use whatever option keeps as much as possible in the hands of Wurm developers, although I suppose there is also the chance that *no* monies go to Code Club any longer, they instead go instead to "those new owners" who then pay Rolf his share based on all their games?

In any case, if there is any difference in which/how monies go directly to Wurm developers, I am sure most players would like to use that option.

Simple:

They don't.

There are plenty of completely free games on Steam.

The point is to get more people into using Steam, so that more people will buy other games.

Edited by atazs

7 hours ago, Mclavin said:

Was there ever a decision made over the same day release of pvp

I would also like more info on about/when the pvp server will be live. Pretty hard to build hype with no info to go off of. Less then a month to go and barely any promotion/advertising. Some people I talked to wasn't even aware of a steam launch.

I always said I would be back if there was a new pvp server launch. Since I had so much fun with epic. So here I am. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Steam usually takes 30% cut from all sales, including buying stuff in game (so prem/silver).

They also usually require developers to not allow players that got the game though steam to use any other payment method that isn't steam (so you likely won't be able to use the web store to buy prem/silver for your steam characters).

• Like 1