Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Steam Launch FAQ

I want a new cluster, I have done the old one, high level crafter and priest, it is time to start again with everyone equal. Old players will of course have a knowledge advantage.

Yes a new cluster every 12 months sounds good to me also, but 5 years after the original one they promised a new start - Pristine, then connected it. After that experience it is hard to trust the devs not to do the same again.

27 minutes ago, Tor said:

I will be upset if there is no new server for me then, if i am left with 10 people on 10 servers and want to start new after a year from now.

Sell your deed and start over.. you have the choice.. or disband.. leave it all to rot, take a vacation. return and start from scratch - what you want is there...

If you want no people.. well.. it's an online game.. and whole point is to have other people to play with or at least see them sometimes;

if being envy for the locations the have deeded is part of filling up your time.. change that mindset, plenty of good spots on same or any of the other servers.

2 minutes ago, zCat said:

I want a new cluster, I have done the old one, high level crafter and priest, it is time to start again with everyone equal. Old players will of course have a knowledge advantage.

Yes a new cluster every 12 months sounds good to me also, but 5 years after the original one they promised a new start - Pristine, then connected it. After that experience it is hard to trust the devs not to do the same again.

dood.. starting from scratch wont give you place on the table.. money, time and knowledge will do it.. if you lack more than 1.. you'll just fall further back on the foodchain, if you cant figure how to get where you want to be now.. no reset is ever going to help you.. realize that, just make a list of the things you want to achieve.. and start asking the questions.. got you can get there, make plans, work for your goals. 

Starting over isn't a thing for everybody.. you'll soon end up with the 'epic' fail, vast wild and free lands.. and no people.. that cant be fun.. unless you want to play alone

If you want short restarts and competing for whatever reason jump on the jackal server once it reboots

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, zCat said:

I want a new cluster, I have done the old one, high level crafter and priest,

Can't help, but claiming to "have done" Wurm sounds utterly stupid to me. Wurm is hardly a game that can be "done".

it is time to start again with everyone equal. Old players will of course have a knowledge advantage.

"Everyone equal" is also extremely self-delusional. The "knowledge advantage" is making all the difference when it comes to achieve something on a new server.

Yes a new cluster every 12 months sounds good to me also,

Jackal

13 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Sell your deed and start over.. you have the choice.. or disband.. leave it all to rot, take a vacation. return and start from scratch - what you want is there...

If you want no people.. well.. it's an online game.. and whole point is to have other people to play with or at least see them sometimes;

if being envy for the locations the have deeded is part of filling up your time.. change that mindset, plenty of good spots on same or any of the other servers.

I was talking butterflies there, not really going anywhere. Just making emphasis on dead end mentality

i read many comments here and will just say: stop thinking your way of playing is what must be catered to all players.

Then: if you really want to help this server going up with population and popularity, try to identify small fixes needed, things easy to do that will polish the game more than it's now, for example: it's from when i started to play, and even before, that wooden parapets cannot be shot through for reasons, or there's no real reason atm for a non premium to not build a house with a second floor (thou limitations to number of walls still severely restrict what you can build, to maybe a 2x2 with another 2x1 on the second floor), even because i may just want to make a flat-roofed shack.
I've already pointed that we cannot make a wooden scrap by crafting it directly from a log, also we should be able to combine all the things that goes into a bsb even without them (tho this is not exactly necessarily).
We should be able to make torches from grass+tar too, as moss is a bit too hard to obtain and torches may be a fun thing to craft early on in the game.

Adding a new tool for creating a campfire can be useful too, something like shaft + log to make a wooden plough lighter, so if one looses the starter steel and flint, can use that thing to light a fire with a scrap

I remember i found some more thingies, especially fixes, but don't really remember them now.

Some of these posts make it sound like a lot of current players will be joining the new server. But from talking to people in-game, I get the feeling most people are sticking with their current servers. I hope I don't login and see like, 500 people in local with something resembling the land rush scene from the movie Far and Away. I'd just stick with laggy Xan in that case, since there are plenty of wilds left there.

I Think many will go and see what all the hubbub is all about. some will stay some will not while others may be playing both worlds. I for one will be there to explore and see what it is about.. I am very curious as to the differences.. Lag wise... skill building.. currency exchange on steam what will be the exchange rate etc... I am curious as a cat and I am running out of lives ....

13 hours ago, Whane said:

Some of these posts make it sound like a lot of current players will be joining the new server.

No, a lot of former players will return in this is a new cluster, but we have no interest in more land on the old cluster.

I would not expect many current players with high level characters to move.

1 hour ago, zCat said:

I would not expect many current players with high level characters to move.

pretty much all of the people i've talked to that played the game years ago and still own top level characters would rather start again in a fresh environment, especially for pvpers.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, zCat said:

Yes a new cluster every 12 months sounds good to me also

Worst idea ever for a game like Wurm. I have goals to achive for my character for the next 20 years and i'm actively playing for 6 years, why would i want my effort to be wasted... Also don't understand people not wanting ever to connect servers, in 3-4 years won't make any difference at all lol. If you want that kind of fast paced casual fun i guess smthng like challenge server would be more in order, or some other game

I bet half of people wanting new start and comming back for that to Steam will quit after half year - 1 year like they quit in first place

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

pretty much all of the people i've talked to that played the game years ago and still own top level characters would rather start again in a fresh environment, especially for pvpers.

I expect a good amount of older players to take land into the new server too, especially many from xanadu. It all depends on how many new players will come from steam, or come back from oblivion (covid already did that with the older servers, but a returning player may find attractive a fresh start).

I fear that "especially for pvpers" hits it when it comes to old wurmians' participation. And I am at least not convinced that they will behave better than during ele3, spoiled brats diddling a bit with the new toy then throwing it away. Maybe the new and fresh players will make a difference, not expecting much from rotten old meat.

well, it's just anecdotal, but i don't play wurm for pvp...

On 6/12/2020 at 10:51 PM, Jeston said:

Biggest question, will we get a screenshot of the new map a week or so before release?

I hope so

10 hours ago, kochinac said:

Worst idea ever for a game like Wurm. I have goals to achive for my character for the next 20 years and i'm actively playing for 6 years, why would i want my effort to be wasted... Also don't understand people not wanting ever to connect servers, in 3-4 years won't make any difference at all lol. If you want that kind of fast paced casual fun i guess smthng like challenge server would be more in order, or some other game

I bet half of people wanting new start and comming back for that to Steam will quit after half year - 1 year like they quit in first place

Nobody is forcing you to abandon your character. 

Just as nobody is forcing you to play on a cluster that gets wiped every year 

Edited by atazs

Sure nobody is forcing you. Fortunately nobody is forcing the devs to implement such in my opinion utter nonsense. There still is Jackal for recurrent new start. Hope it will get online after the launch.

If they continue with Jackal and upgrade on it then it's fine 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atazs said:

If they continue with Jackal and upgrade on it then it's fine 

Right some upgrade and consequences from Jackal1.0 would be great, especially better and more transparent skill transfer. Also if Jackal is accessible from both old and steam WO clusters. Could become a meeting point between the worlds.

Release and Pristine were merged as a result of a player base vote.

It wasn't a horrible imposition, it was a necessity, since both servers were quite different than the ones you see today.

Picture every bit of easily accessible coast deeded (I had to raise up land from a lake to plant my first deed), anything that could be monopolised being monopolised (wild oaks were always cut down because certain players wanted them kept rare, all uniques were penned, and only the "old guard" offered decent gear), and a population cut off from impalongs and events 

In the end, those of us from Release and Pristine wanted the merge; especially with Xanadu coming out.

If history repeats itself (which it invariably always does) then (if wurm online does not get nuked by "not free to play" reviews, which is the case for a lot of "free to try" games) a join is inevitable in a reasonably short timespan if the servers are successful.

• Like 4
  • Cat 1

heh, to be honest, impalongs are not exactly that good event, but since wurm is totally sandbox, people should be able to do mostly what they want, so okay with them 😛

Another thing is the join, wich may even prove to be impossible or nearly impossible for what we know atm. The main problem is figuring the population of the new steam server: it may soon need another server to stabilize population and give enough room for everyone, since this one is going to be indy size (so not terribly big as xan), or may stay at lower levels of skill for at least 3-4 years before you'll see enough people with skills around 90 to condition the market.

Many players seems to forget that even xanadu stayed online now for what, 5 years?, and it was merged in the first 2 months with older servers.
Release and pristine story are not that representative of what we can get from the new server, wich is way larger than the other two, wich then were merged togheter before beign merged with xanadu and all the other servers, while changes we got in these years may help a lot with covering issues that server like release had back in time, including the traders, wich many people kept saying they weren't ever addressed to.

21 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Release and Pristine were merged as a result of a player base vote.

It wasn't a horrible imposition, it was a necessity, since both servers were quite different than the ones you see today.

Picture every bit of easily accessible coast deeded (I had to raise up land from a lake to plant my first deed), anything that could be monopolised being monopolised (wild oaks were always cut down because certain players wanted them kept rare, all uniques were penned, and only the "old guard" offered decent gear), and a population cut off from impalongs and events 

In the end, those of us from Release and Pristine wanted the merge; especially with Xanadu coming out.

If history repeats itself (which it invariably always does) then (if wurm online does not get nuked by "not free to play" reviews, which is the case for a lot of "free to try" games) a join is inevitable in a reasonably short timespan if the servers are successful.

Well this new map is going to be 4x the size of release/pristine, its size may solve issues with such resource controllers

My wife and I have a few questions.

1. I know that you can not transfer old Characters to the new Steam Servers at this moment, but will they eventually allow us to connect our current account characters through Steam? So that we can eventually log through Steam to our old accounts and the severs that we are already on, without loosing deeds, skills and items.

2. (In case we do not transfer to Steam straight away) At the moment there is no word of merging of servers (Yet, but it will happen as it has in the past) will we get a chance to take our character to the new servers. Like they did with old Indy where they shut it down but transferred everyone's characters to Chaos (skills, silver and items unchanged)?

3. Will they bring back an NPC Trader that will give you money for items? As since they have shut down the old trader we are scrambling to get money scraped together to pay our deed. We are not interested in the economy or making a lot of crap to sell for coins, we just want to enjoy the game and sometime just trading in some of our junk for a few coins was ok with us (buying 3 month Premium and getting silver is a $80AUD slug each for us, which is a bit rich on a pension). I know they wanted to shut down RMT but what did the trader have to do with that? So please bring back a trader that we can atleast get some coins off of.

2 hours ago, TrevorD777 said:

My wife and I have a few questions.

1. I know that you can not transfer old Characters to the new Steam Servers at this moment, but will they eventually allow us to connect our current account characters through Steam? So that we can eventually log through Steam to our old accounts and the severs that we are already on, without loosing deeds, skills and items.

2. (In case we do not transfer to Steam straight away) At the moment there is no word of merging of servers (Yet, but it will happen as it has in the past) will we get a chance to take our character to the new servers. Like they did with old Indy where they shut it down but transferred everyone's characters to Chaos (skills, silver and items unchanged)?

3. Will they bring back an NPC Trader that will give you money for items? As since they have shut down the old trader we are scrambling to get money scraped together to pay our deed. We are not interested in the economy or making a lot of crap to sell for coins, we just want to enjoy the game and sometime just trading in some of our junk for a few coins was ok with us (buying 3 month Premium and getting silver is a $80AUD slug each for us, which is a bit rich on a pension). I know they wanted to shut down RMT but what did the trader have to do with that? So please bring back a trader that we can atleast get some coins off of.

ad 1.) There is one client, and you can log on to either of the worlds given you have a character on it. The characters on the new servers will have start level skills, like all newly created ones.

ad 2.) There is no decision yet about merging or not in the future. But certainly, there will be a longer period of time, maybe a year, maybe more, until that will be decided. There are just speculations about the future at the moment. In my opinion, once the new community part has grown to high average skills, the desire for a merge will grow, and it will probably be done.

ad 3.) No. Traders may contribute to the upkeep of a deed, but not give money directly. It is doubtful whether they are worth the investment except for fairly large deeds.

6 hours ago, TrevorD777 said:

and sometime just trading in some of our junk for a few coins was ok with us

You can still sell a lot of items to the token for cash.