Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Steam Launch FAQ

i'm on a staycation holiday the week before 😞   would have loved a whole week to binge play...  oh well guess it's good i have my 2nd staycation first week of august  🙂

I look forward to a fresh start and playing with steam players everywhere and old vets. 

3 minutes ago, Cenotaph said:

The first thing that threw me off when I logged into this game for the first time. It was pitch dark...

That was my experience too, back in 2009 iir. I logged out after about 15 minutes then back in the next day and it just happened to be dark again. I played for about an hour and was just completely lost and confused so I logged out. Didn't come back until 2015, but could not get the game to run. Was not until 2017 when I could play again, and then it stuck, minus some breaks.

• Like 1

Nice Whane.  If I try and game and the first few minutes doesn't reall hook me, I am off, never to return - with one exception: No Man's Sky.  I had a friend plead with me to give it another shot and it was what I needed to make it stick.  With Wurm, I got lucky and everything fell into place right away.  Skill path freedom to grow where I wanted, when I wanted. Full control of my environment and owning property!  I love buying land more than anything.  Soopid wurm!

• Like 1

Very excited to see what the map looks like.

Are we getting a Steam section in the forums, so people can start organizing? Deed recruitment, kingdom, etc.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Are we getting a Steam section in the forums, so people can start organizing? Deed recruitment, kingdom, etc.

That'D be great.

12 hours ago, Ohana said:

So the servers are 8x8, 16x16, 32x32. Is there a reason that a size like 12x12 is not possible?

Not that I Pvp, but that could be a nice size for the new PvP map. not as much land mass, easier to find enemies. But still larger then the normal servers.

Added:

And yes 2 starting towns would be the minimum I would like to see. Well Maybe one have Haven type deed and 2 non haven's that we can get to from a portal at the haven style deed.

Servers are 1024x1024, 2048x2048, 4096x4096, 8192x8192, 16384x16384, but everything above 4096 is horrible laggy, see Xanadu.

The reason sizes are fixed by that is from mathematical nature. 2^10, 2^11, 2^12, 2^13,.... In the code such a 2^x size is needed for a lot of things like zone generation and so on. So sizes between will likely never be possible and would lead to all kinds of unexpected behavior.

• Like 1

Still wondering how bank accounts work. If we buy and earn silver while on the PvE server, will it transfer to the PvP server. 

1 hour ago, WittleBunnBun said:

Still wondering how bank accounts work. If we buy and earn silver while on the PvE server, will it transfer to the PvP server. 

Silver is account bound not inventory bank item storage is server bound this has been said before 

I can buy silver while on cele and use it on epic(2 different clusters) im sure there will be no difference on there

I'm glad we have a time frame and hopefully you guys can make the pvp server release at the same time as the pve work which would be amazing. Just a couple of questions regarding the PvP side of things (I understand this is still being looked at). When can we expect to get more info on the PvP server, I feel like including the pvp community might be a good idea on certain aspects.

My main concerns are:

-PMK's will they be in or out?

- Meditation, will this reflect the newer changes and removal of things like sotg?

- Will valrie missions still be a thing, can you win items still and will there be spells etc?

- Will there be hota and battlecamps again?

Probs a bunch more other stuff would be handy to know but can't think of them right now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Touchmee said:

I'm glad we have a time frame and hopefully you guys can make the pvp server release at the same time as the pve work which would be amazing. Just a couple of questions regarding the PvP side of things (I understand this is still being looked at). When can we expect to get more info on the PvP server, I feel like including the pvp community might be a good idea on certain aspects.

My main concerns are:

-PMK's will they be in or out?

- Meditation, will this reflect the newer changes and removal of things like sotg?

- Will valrie missions still be a thing, can you win items still and will there be spells etc?

- Will there be hota and battlecamps again?

Probs a bunch more other stuff would be handy to know but can't think of them right now.

To add to this list of questions, will any of the reworked mechanics seen on New Elevation be used?

In particular:

- Reworked sorcery abilities (In particular Stone Skin, True Strike, Continuum and physical damage resistance changes)?

- Rare vehicles not increasing speed?

- Removal of items such as salve of frost?

- Hell horse reworks?

- Horse leading limits?

- Mine door limitations (3 tiles between each mine door or something)?

- Creature CR buffs?

Edited by BrokenSanity

Can the players on the new steam server play on epic as well?

42 minutes ago, Tor said:

You would have to make a separate character, as the new PVE/PVP Steam servers will only allow freshly made characters, and there will be no connections or travel with the preexisting servers for quite a long time, if ever. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

42 minutes ago, Tor said:

The new servers aren't Steam specific :P
And no, the new servers won't connect at all to the existing servers. Steam release will add 2 new servers to play on, a PvP and a PvE. Neither of which will connect to what we already have.

Yeah i know all that info, but it wasn't specified for epic yet, which is different game mode then freedom/"new server"

15 minutes ago, Tor said:

Yeah i know all that info, but it wasn't specified for epic yet, which is different game mode then freedom/"new server"

The only mention of "epic" was that they weren't going to be using the "epic curve" for the new servers. And that the new servers would not be connected to anything already connected.

So I guess the answer is "no".

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zera said:

The only mention of "epic" was that they weren't going to be using the "epic curve" for the new servers. And that the new servers would not be connected to anything already connected.

So I guess the answer is "no".

I guess too, but lets not speculate, hope i will get answered from someone relevant

8 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

Servers are 1024x1024, 2048x2048, 4096x4096, 8192x8192, 16384x16384, but everything above 4096 is horrible laggy, see Xanadu.

Which WO server is 16384x16384? I was under the impression that Xan at 8192x8192 tiles (32x32km) is the largest.

Just now, Whane said:

Which WO server is 16384x16384? I was under the impression that Xan at 8192x8192 tiles (32x32km) is the largest.

Xan is the largest at 8K

30 minutes ago, Whane said:

None but there were some experimental WU ones i believe 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Whane said:

No WO server is 16k, still there was a WO test server with 16k size before Xan launch.

2 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

No WO server is 16k, still there was a WO test server with 16k size before Xan launch.

I bet one month of deed upkeep would have lasted 3 on a 16x16 version of Xan

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 11:23 PM, Retrograde said:

Something like that would be great for a discussion regarding the PvP server, these are more general questions about how things will work, not suggestions for things to be in. 

I'll speak with darklords about having a discussion about potential things like this in his next thread

hello all!

I’ve followed Wurm over the years but never got around to playing it. Very excited for the Steam Release and looking forward to the PVP server (if done “right,” I know there’s a level of subjectively to that but there are some core things that could go wrong).

I quoted retrograde because it is very important that you reconsider what (if anything) are going to be carried over from PvE to PvP. I know The intension is to compromise time invested to those who are playing the PvE server while waiting for the PvP, but I would argue the experience new players will get from learning how the game mechanics work and getting a ‘dry-run’ should be ‘experience’ enough to carry over - especially if you end up using the same or a similar map. Past games that have done similar carry overs tend to lead to feelings of alienation for newer players and servitude to large ‘head start’ groups. At least consider not carrying over any combat relevant skills, as another poster suggested.

At the end of the day you will (and should) weigh in the opinions of your long standing community members, I just wish to add emphasis to caution. I’d love to see this new era do very well, especially after all the hard work being put into its fruition.

I hope to find a world I can fall in love with and get to know all you expert players! Best wishes and please be safe out there.

5 hours ago, Morfiend said:

I know The intension is to compromise time invested to those who are playing the PvE server while waiting for the PvP, but I would argue the experience new players will get from learning how the game mechanics work and getting a ‘dry-run’ should be ‘experience’ enough to carry over.

Was there a statement made regarding this? I don't think the transfer of skills was intended to pacify PvPr's waiting a few days for the PvP server to open. That's just a byproduct of the mechanics; skills transfer, items do not. And if anyone wants a "dry run", they can get that right now without waiting for the Steam release. In fact I think I've seen a few folks doing that already.

• Like 3