Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Steam Launch FAQ

25 minutes ago, Rusk said:

or an NPC like the starter town bartender. He can meet with an "accident" later on. 

This ... sounds rather fun, if given some creative thought. Players can attack -or- defend the poor NPC who is maybe outted as some sort of a (dum dum DUM) SPY.  Or maybe just a target for wurm-athiests. Given wurm players love for chaos, and not a huge advantage for keeping him alive, he is unlikely to survive ... but he always could! If enough of the "devoted" rallied to save him. Maybe in a small, well marked pvp arena of some sort.

Asheron's Call had something similar with Bael'Zharon and some big crystal, I forget all the details now, but even the PVE servers happily took part. 

On the Thistledown server, players had banded together to protect the shard taking turns in shifts to defend it from attackers throughout the day. It was these "Shard Vigils" (nicknamed by Turbine) and the clever use of game mechanics such as levelling the shard up by sacrifising themselves, which kept the shard intact for so long. In fact, the TD team were so good and the crystal so powerful that eventually the developers had to intervene to destroy it....In respect to the players that defended the shard so well, a monument was created on the Thistledown server engraved with the names of those who took part. It is located at 82.3S, 93.4E outside Ithaenc Cathedral on the Thistledown server only.

I guess they even nicknamed that shard "Harry", after Harry Potter, though it also escapes me now why that seemed to make sense at the time...

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

20 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

they made it so you can convert at jackal beacons for jackal, why can't they do the same for pve server lol

You and i both know why they cant do it

31 minutes ago, Rusk said:

I'm excited. I think the convertion by GM is a mistake, give us some ingame mechanic that doesn't completely break immersion. Altars or an NPC like the starter town bartender. He can meet with an "accident" later on. 

I also think the people saying a staggered release will take the air out of the pvp server sounds reasonable. It would also be great if pve wasn't littered with absent landlords that has teleported away a week after launch.

This i would like to see make it be 1 of the chicken army's "faithful priests" that where on jackal that had returned all crazy and delusional and can convert you to any religion of your choosing and even priest you up

2 hours ago, Quicktor said:

@Retrograde

Is the map gonna be made by ausimus?

Maybe and I'll put ChoooChooo Station right next to your deed so you can play with your Pal Mclovin

• Like 1

We'll reconsider the staggered PvP launch and let you know soon, it might be possible to release it at the same time after all.

• Like 16

I hate letting my inner cynical-ness free reign but I see people saying top heavy economy, hyper skilled players...I hate to break it to you folks but the few real vets that have their grinding system down to min/max their gains are all going to be running the economy on the steam server as they have on the old servers.

I am sure there will be a few exceptions but for the most part those that are on the top now will be so again. Minus the RMT grinders who only did it only to make bank, Credit-card warriors and others I am probably forgetting but there is also going to be a rash of macro bot grinders and shift-played skillers.

I do wonder what will happen to the old servers after they become even less played on.

Good Luck!

14 minutes ago, Anunnaki said:

I do wonder what will happen to the old servers after they become even less played on.

Good Luck!

Old timers will play a lot on the new server as fresh new start get bored go back this will be the case to most of us just like with jackal and epic and other servers like it(challenge had this issue too)

I am "returning" just to play with a fresh economy, and i really hope the server won't EVER merge, even if i've a ton of supreme tools at my deed and a toon with a couple 95 skills, including lw at 99.7...

• Like 8

@Retrogradenot that I expect you all to change the date or anything but it would have been nice to have some consideration for other events, My annual impalong starts on that day as well and has been announced for months 😐 I feel like its a pretty bad idea to have two large events at the same time... On the other side i'm glad its finally happening at least.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, VirusMD said:

@Retrogradenot that I expect you all to change the date or anything but it would have been nice to have some consideration for other events, My annual impalong starts on that day as well and has been announced for months 😐 I feel like its a pretty bad idea to have two large events at the same time... On the other side i'm glad its finally happening at least.

I feel for Virus. First you change favor just as he thought he had enough for the impalong, causing him to have to double his amounts. Now you release steam  right at the same time the impalong starts.

10 hours ago, BrokenSanity said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, people taking breaks for years doesn't change the fact that the first few days of a release are the most important days to build momentum, communities, etc. With this decision, this is all going to happen on the PvE server, not the PvP one.

Yes some of the hardcore PvPers will probably cross over, but the hope was that there would be some sort of new blood with this release, and this almost guarantees that won't happen.

new blood for you guys to chew up and spit out lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeston said:

new blood for you guys to chew up and spit out lol

Or you know, they could teach them their ways

1 hour ago, Anunnaki said:

I hate letting my inner cynical-ness free reign but I see people saying top heavy economy, hyper skilled players...I hate to break it to you folks but the few real vets that have their grinding system down to min/max their gains are all going to be running the economy on the steam server as they have on the old servers.

I am sure there will be a few exceptions but for the most part those that are on the top now will be so again. Minus the RMT grinders who only did it only to make bank, Credit-card warriors and others I am probably forgetting but there is also going to be a rash of macro bot grinders and shift-played skillers.

Good Luck!

we will see about that

6 hours ago, katnip2067 said:

So we only have to wait 1 week for pvp?  That's not so bad then.   I also was looking forward to the fresh start on pvp but don't want to get behind on skills while waiting for it to launch.

One week max. It was stated earlier in the thread that the delay could be anywhere from a couple of days up to a week. It seems they just want some wiggle room to address any issues the new servers might have, one new server at a time. I imagine anyone that wants PvP only will look at this as an opportunity to work on relevant skills prior to porting over.

I'm surprised people are upset about a planned delay of a few days, I thought the PvP crew would be more upset about the fact that the size of the PvP map was not disclosed. In the FAQ's, they were very careful to say that the "PvE" map is 4096x4096 but did not comment on the PvP map size, I bet it will be small.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whane said:

-I'm surprised people are upset about a planned delay of a few days, I thought the PvP crew would be more upset about the fact that the size of the PvP map was not disclosed. In the FAQ's, they were very careful to say that the "PvE" map is 4096x4096 but did not comment on the PvP map size, I bet it will be small.

I may be wrong but I am pretty sure it was PVPers in the past who said too large of a server actually hurts PVP gameplay.

On one hand, avoiding lag is more critical in PVP than in PVE. Larger servers have tended to struggle more with lag, when size was the only factor (Xanadu vs Deliverance, for example). I don;t know the deal on Celebration but I assume some peoblems maybe with it being hosted on old outdated hardware or something.  Also arguing in favor of smaller is that there is going to be an easy portal between PVE and PVP that in effect turns the pve servers into quasi "home servers" ... ie, they can skill grind or leisurely enjoy life on pve, then "pop over" to pvp when in the mood for some roughplay. Also, pvp villagers it seems would be smaller and more densely populated  for defensive reasons than PVE where there are so many "hermit estates". Chaos is 4096x4096,   I'd be curious to hear more about how that translated in regular gameplay in the past.  Was Chaos ever considered by its own players to be too big for successful PVP?   A larger PVP server probably does not actually cost a lot more than a smaller server. How do Xanadu's actual costs compare to Independence? 

I'd personally prefer two =BIG= servers that were not connected at all if only because PVE only servers tend a little less "aggressive" in overall temperament (with some notable exceptions).  It seems like it  also helps the PVP community be more closeknit   if half of them were not "living in the suburbs" so to speak. I don't think they are wanting a vast empty server where it takes most of a day just to get from one side to the other. PVP seems to argue for hyper efficiency.   Also seems easier to later add more room /servers than to start with too much.

But I think most of the PVP community prefers being able to have PVE players "drop by and try" and you need a portal for that.

Maybe I am wrong. I am in favor of letting the PVP people have the final say  in server size.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whane said:

I'm surprised people are upset about a planned delay of a few days, I thought the PvP crew would be more upset about the fact that the size of the PvP map was not disclosed. In the FAQ's, they were very careful to say that the "PvE" map is 4096x4096 but did not comment on the PvP map size, I bet it will be small.

Which is weird, as Retrogarde told me that the maps (plural) will be 4k 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I agree, Jeston.

A good example would be Ausimus's server, Calysto -- as soon as you look at that map, you start thinking exploration and big projectsBOATS! BRIDGES! CANALS! Plus, it is exciting for the first handful of players getting to hard to reach areas to claim their deeds.  You get a square "big-blob-on-water" map and no one has any motivation to make bridges or boats, or head for harder to reach areas. There is hardly even anything to "explore". Everything is just one big suburb with square grid highways ....

The other plus is, so many people want waterfront. A map with a lot of rivers has a LOT more waterfront. this doesn't matter on a small WU server with say 10 people, but it makes a huge difference on a big server with hundreds and hundreds of players.

Rumor is Ausimus might be making the maps, and I hope the result is something like Calysto....

IUBqNcs.jpg

Yes that map is very damn cool and I love the winding natural rivers, maybe a need a little more landmass with some desert here and there in the south

• Like 1

I hope they have multiple first time spawn locations at least for the first couple weeks so not everyone starting from a single location.

Or have two starter towns on other side of map from each other.

Edited by nicedreams

So the servers are 8x8, 16x16, 32x32. Is there a reason that a size like 12x12 is not possible?

Not that I Pvp, but that could be a nice size for the new PvP map. not as much land mass, easier to find enemies. But still larger then the normal servers.

Added:

And yes 2 starting towns would be the minimum I would like to see. Well Maybe one have Haven type deed and 2 non haven's that we can get to from a portal at the haven style deed.

Edited by Ohana

13 hours ago, Skatyna said:

exactly! More than anything it must be a PvP server released first and a PvE at a later day for people to move who doesnt really fit in pvp.. with the release of pve server first might as well dont even bother with pvp server next. 

This is crazy talk.  People that like PvP will swarm the server opening, regardless of already having started on PvE.  They will spend the few early release of PvE hunting for a deed, buy it and then off to PvP.  Not startinng at the same time is actually very beneficial to the PvP crowd.  They won't have to make a choice of which server to land grab on first.  This is a great plan from devs on the staggered launch.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, nicedreams said:

I hope they have multiple first time spawn locations at least for the first couple weeks so not everyone starting from a single location.

Or have two starter towns on other side of map from each other.

I was wondering about this too. Don't the other servers of the same size have one starter town alone?

1 hour ago, Whane said:

I was wondering about this too. Don't the other servers of the same size have one starter town alone?

Xanadu was the only server to have more than one start location. It's a huge server. Most of the others had a start spawn in a semi-central area, except I think Indy's original one at Samling was in the north? Before-the-Howl-Before-The-Haven.

Maybe this time  they could have a "random portal" at the start, that sends you to some random unpredictable location in order to break up the masses of people. Though that would be impossible for friends to use together, unless they had some capability to portal a group (then they would have to set a deed and send /vinvites for those who could not be present at the time).

Imagine 500 players (the brave ones who dared to even chance the portal) all being whisked to completely random spots on the map that first hour ^_^. None of them really sure  what the map even  looked like, knowing any corpse drop is probably irrecoverable (all you lose anyway I think is a backpack, a bowl and a compass?)   .... I cannot recall whether Xanadu, Deli and the others even had a map on day one, I want to think everyone was blind until players actually mapped the servers out themselves...

• Cat 1

15 hours ago, Skatyna said:

exactly! More than anything it must be a PvP server released first and a PvE at a later day for people to move who doesnt really fit in pvp.. with the release of pve server first might as well dont even bother with pvp server next. 

with the cannibalizing pvp community.. it's stupid to release new players into the blender and discourage them from ever trying the game again... 😆

• Like 2

Sounds like Samool is saying they are going to try for same day release if they can, with no promises yet.

I assume most everyone would be happy with that (as long as nothing crash-and-burns)

Xan had map at start, i know that 'cause i choosed to hunt for a small island in e20 iirc.

Also: starting pve and pvp with not much difference in time is good, but i know the struggle of new servers, and while pve does not have too much of a problem if you need couple fixes to make the server work fine, for pvp start may be crucial: in that view is better if you take maybe 2-4 days between pve and pvp opening to ensure everything in pvp works as intended.

Edited by Rauros
  • Like 1

The first thing that threw me off when I logged into this game for the first time. It was pitch dark, and all I could see wherever i hovered the mouse was blue squares(the tiles) it made quite a very poor first impression, if it was not because i had a friend who was playing and insisting it was worthy my time. I would have logged out in disgust there and then.

Disable it by default, have a hotkey to enable us to view them, say alt or something. We can permanently enable or disable it in the settings, so us who are used to seeing em, will do so.

Throw the tip in a few places, the tutorial. when hovering over digging action, "press ALT to see tiles." New players should get the gist of it.

TLDR. Get rid of the tile view on by default. It is ugly

• Like 2