Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Steam Launch FAQ

So lore is not worth in Steam version of Wurm?

Why even have white and Black lights then, these were once a symbol of the gods, not the symbol of the gods is w/e tom, ###### or harry gm is on at the current time and willing to do "priesting" among other Gm duties like fixing bugs, assisting new players etc.

Lets all just live in a PVE server with no lore, complain about the encroachments on trees the neighbours are doing and yell at passes by to get off my lawn.

Not releasing a pvp server alongside a PVE on LAUNCH? way to turn new pvpers off from the get go. - Wurm - released December 2012, re-released 24th July 2020 - yet still couldnt get pvp right. GG devs

• Like 4

@Retrograde

Can we get clarification on the following:

1. Will we be able to pre-create our characters on steam, so that we can launch right away

2. Will we be able to prepurchase premium (and silver), so that we dont like have "sudden problems" on launch?

3. Will we be able to transfer silver from the old cluster to the new cluster ( like immediately, not like a month or a year or when the clusters connect later or smth )

Cause I'd like to precrate my character, so that I can settle on a name early on. Also i dont want to experience any problems with me not having premium at launch or not enough silver for a deed. That'd be realy crucial for me.

Think having a shitty name because the name i want is already taken... makes me going from wanting to play to saying Neigh!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Whane said:

My apologies, I thought you were expressing your opinion, I didn't realize that you spoke on behalf of the people. I hope you don't mind though, if I decide that you don't speak for me. Other than that, you're certainly welcome to your opinion. As for me, I'm not one to point my nose away from one opportunity, for the sake of 1 weeks worth of grinding, especially in Wurm because if there is one thing that makes this game different than others, it's that it teaches the virtue of patience. I hope you get the experience of PvP you're looking for, be it on the 24th, or by the 1st.

So we only have to wait 1 week for pvp?  That's not so bad then.   I also was looking forward to the fresh start on pvp but don't want to get behind on skills while waiting for it to launch.

If we become a priest on pve will priesthood and priest skills transfer to pvp? 

6 hours ago, Jeston said:

I just hope they make the Indy size map have some kind of iconic landmark like indy has the tallest mountain, the new server could have a huge river that splits two major chunks down the side

I agree, Jeston.

A good example would be Ausimus's server, Calysto -- as soon as you look at that map, you start thinking exploration and big projectsBOATS! BRIDGES! CANALS! Plus, it is exciting for the first handful of players getting to hard to reach areas to claim their deeds.  You get a square "big-blob-on-water" map and no one has any motivation to make bridges or boats, or head for harder to reach areas. There is hardly even anything to "explore". Everything is just one big suburb with square grid highways ....

The other plus is, so many people want waterfront. A map with a lot of rivers has a LOT more waterfront. this doesn't matter on a small WU server with say 10 people, but it makes a huge difference on a big server with hundreds and hundreds of players.

Rumor is Ausimus might be making the maps, and I hope the result is something like Calysto....

IUBqNcs.jpg

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 5

@Retrograde

Is the PvP server being released after the PvE set in concrete or is this something that can be reconsidered if enough people share their concern? The reason I ask is because I think its a huge mistake to stagger the release. I think Borken's posts have hit the nail on the head, Raffeh has even brought up a valid point in regards to BL Followers/Priests as the PvE will most likely not have them so that would be a huge disadvantage?

I also think PvE players are not considering a huge issue that at the start many PvPers are going to be land grabbing and then deserting places once PvP opens creating a huge waste of space right from the start. I am happy to discuss this as I have other points of why staggering the release is just not a good idea. If its because you are running out of time and the PvP server is behind then I would urge you to wait for the whole release in honesty. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WittleBunnBun said:

I edited this out of my post because it was actually answered in this thread.I am still wondering tho if bank accounts are global or per server. I dont wanna pump money into silver to find out I cant bring it to the PvP map 

Bank accounts have always been global and attached to the character not the server. I am sure @Retrograde will be happy to confirm that for anyone who is worried about it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I agree, Jeston.

A good example would be Ausimus's server, Calysto -- as soon as you look at that map, you start thinking exploration and big projectsBOATS! BRIDGES! CANALS! Plus, it is exciting for the first handful of players getting to hard to reach areas to claim their deeds.  You get a square "big-blob-on-water" map and no one has any motivation to make bridges or boats, or head for harder to reach areas. There is hardly even anything to "explore". Everything is just one big suburb with square grid highways ....

The other plus is, so many people want waterfront. A map with a lot of rivers has a LOT more waterfront. this doesn't matter on a small WU server with say 10 people, but it makes a huge difference on a big server with hundreds and hundreds of players.

Rumor is Ausimus might be making the maps, and I hope the result is something like Calysto....

IUBqNcs.jpg

I love the look of this map!

• Like 4

Any chance adding new trees/plants or wild life to Steam release map ?

Some of the trees on Jackal were nice , the cricket would be a nice add also .

What is the plan for starting area ? will it be like Haven or a setup like Jackal had ?

What planets will you see in the sky ? anything new or same as old wurm client ?

Ore setup going to be the same as WO or any plans to add other ore like Jackal had ?

What about Unique's ?  what will be there and amount ?

• Like 1

Definitely waiting for the new server, i'm attached to my actual deed on xan but hell, want to start something new and clean, so i've made preparations already!

A thing i strongly suggest is to have, now, a common accounts wallet: all the coins should belong and be withdrawable by any character connected to my account, no matter if in old or steam servers, no matter the place as log as there's a deed token: i have some coins in old server and, since i've payed for them and premium time to make them, i'd like to use them freely where i like to, more now that RMT is no more (this also incidentally makes easier to use the coins in game, making a better and more fluid economy).

I also suggest to take a better look at the start of a toon, because 1 month ago i made a new one and found a couple things that should be addressed before start: for example i was not able to make a wooden scrap with logs and any kind of knife if not by making something out of the log too, so loose the steel and flint and make a campfire is incredibly hard.
Another suggestion is to remove the limitation of making ladders and a second floor on houses without premium, but maintain the same conditions for building based on carpentry, so a new toon can make maybe a 2 story small house but will still be very limited in the number of walls he can raise.

Will the tutorial be updated for the Steam launch?

• Like 1

Hmm,   guess I'll have to wander back for this.   Frankly really glad to see this.  Be nice to see some old folks even if they're wearing a different name.

5 hours ago, Nightbreed said:

You haven't been around long enough to see the disastrous changes that they have made to the economy over the years.  And the only reason that you don't know about it, Is because players are too scared to say anything for fear of getting banned, And losing all their money.  My wife and i just came back to wurm because we thought the steam release would bring new players, and maybe stimulate things.  But instead we find wurm taking the absolute worst route possible once again.  Maybe well allow this, Maybe well allow that.  Maybe i'll lose interest and walk away for good this time.   In one quick sentence, Segregating new players from old players, And new servers from old servers, Is absolutely harmful to the players old and new,  And can be seen as nothing but another cash grab on the staffs part.  Which they have done on numerous occasions before.  And most likely i'll be banned for saying this on their forum.  But it's still true!

Removing the sale of old accounts, and buying things for real life money has been one of the best decisions ever made for the game.

And i have been playing since 2010,  before you have even heard of Wurm.

New servers are also not a bad idea. The economy on the current servers are ruined beyond repair thanks to a decade of people buying up high skilled characters, years of skilling and skill changes, and exploits/oversights that went on over the years that by now got fixed.

Anyone starting out now will not be able to skill up like back then.

Mining, Fighting, shield skills, fishing, just a few that comes to my mind that were easier or different to raise up back then than it is now, thus giving an advantage to currently high skilled players. 

That advantage is now gone on the new servers, and anyone new joining will be able to experience Wurm as its intended.

I know plenty of people who would return to Wurm for this, but don't because of the server merge hanging in the air. 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 8

the fact that they say "oh we might merge em, we might not" is really stupid

makes it a gamble if its worth to invest time or not

if the servers will be merged at any point, the economy will just be stale again like it is now and people flood the markets

kinda lame that they let us in the dark for that, but whatelse did we expect

• Like 4

I agree 100 percent with Atazs

In addition to removing RMT and for-sale characters, I think it is also critical to give new players a 'clean slate" server to start on, and not have them competing with people who have been piling up skills and assets for a full decade of daily play. Veteran players already have their game experience, that is enough of a huge starting boost and something no one can ever take away from them.

After playing this game nearly ten years, I think the "economy" on this new Steam server is going to be better than Wurm has seen in nearly a decade. As well as a huge boost to Wurm's long term survival.

• Like 3

Just now, Brash_Endeavors said:

After playing this game nearly ten years, I think the "economy" on this new Steam server is going to be better than Wurm has seen in nearly a decade. 

This.

I remember when 70-80ql+ tools were still considered to be good, and actually sold on the market, when people had a decent chance to compete and get into the market with work that did not include doing bricks, mortar or planks.

I remember when tools were expensive too. 

Same for enchants.

Now i saw 90ql+ items with 100+ enchants selling for maybe 2s at most.

People don't buy anything below 70ql or 80ql, most dont even bother making them as they are chump change, not worth the time and materials.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, atazs said:

I know plenty of people who would return to Wurm for this, but don't because of the server merge hanging in the air. 

<Raises Hand>

• Like 4

I'm excited. I think the convertion by GM is a mistake, give us some ingame mechanic that doesn't completely break immersion. Altars or an NPC like the starter town bartender. He can meet with an "accident" later on. 

I also think the people saying a staggered release will take the air out of the pvp server sounds reasonable. It would also be great if pve wasn't littered with absent landlords that has teleported away a week after launch.

1 minute ago, Rusk said:

I'm excited. I think the convertion by GM is a mistake, give us some ingame mechanic that doesn't completely break immersion. Altars or an NPC like the starter town bartender. He can meet with an "accident" later on. 

I also think the people saying a staggered release will take the air out of the pvp server sounds reasonable. It would also be great if pve wasn't littered with absent landlords that has teleported away a week after launch.

Well, it will work like it did on Pristine/Release

When it took hours if not days for them to convert you, and when it was faster to build your own boat and sail to release to get converted by a player. 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Servers
Q: What size will the new servers be?
A: More details on the PvP map will be announced at a later date.

The wording here seems weird. Can you elaborate further on this?

You told me in the Discord channel that:

"map sizes are 4k, not epic settings"

Sizes, as in plural, implying that both will be 4k. Is this still the case? If so why couldn't you just say so? 

I've sat around twiddling my thumbs waiting for a GM to answer, it is frustrating and feels like wasted time. And when there are 70 people before you in the queue also wanting a convert...

• Like 1

they made it so you can convert at jackal beacons for jackal, why can't they do the same for pve server lol

• Like 3