Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Steam Launch FAQ

4 minutes ago, Whane said:

But people play Wurm for years, and take breaks for just as long. The PvP island will only be delayed from between a few days to a week, as stated.

the initial surge of players is a big thing, and if you release pve first and allow skill transfers it just encourages powergrinding on pve before pvp even starts

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BrokenSanity said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, people taking breaks for years doesn't change the fact that the first few days of a release are the most important days to build momentum, communities, etc. With this decision, this is all going to happen on the PvE server, not the PvP one.

Yes some of the hardcore PvPers will probably cross over, but the hope was that there would be some of new blood with this release, and this almost guarantees that won't happen.

I'm trying to say that I fail to see how a few days to a week is going to destroy a community within a game that's been around for so long. If it worked the way you described, then there would be no successful MMO's because only a small % were present on day 1.

Edited by Whane
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Whane said:

I'm trying to say that I fail to see how a few days to a week is going to destroy a community within a game that's been around for so long. If it worked the way you described, then there would be no successful MMO's because only a small % were present on day 1.

Yes, this game has been around for a long time, but it has by no means flourished, and that's especially true of the PvP servers. 

Historically, PvP servers have always been at their best immediately after a fresh start before it slowly dies out. The hope is that enough people become invested in the first weeks of release, so that the population can sustain itself going forward. 

By removing that initial new server momentum, the chances of this happening are severely decreased.

What's more, part of the fun of a new server is starting with fresh skills. The rush for enough skill to ride horses, wield your favourite weapon, etc, all whilst PvP is occurring. People love the new account PvP experience. After a week of grinding on PvE before the PvP server is released, that experience is lost forever.

Edited by BrokenSanity
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Entendu said:

No. That it is being released AFTER the PVE server.

It pushes the population onto the PVE and when the PVP server is released, it won't be as populated. People will be inclined to stay because they already built their house and tools.

exactly! More than anything it must be a PvP server released first and a PvE at a later day for people to move who doesnt really fit in pvp.. with the release of pve server first might as well dont even bother with pvp server next. 

4 minutes ago, BrokenSanity said:

People love the new account PvP experience. After a week of grinding on PvE before the PvP server is released, that experience is lost forever.

My apologies, I thought you were expressing your opinion, I didn't realize that you spoke on behalf of the people. I hope you don't mind though, if I decide that you don't speak for me. Other than that, you're certainly welcome to your opinion. As for me, I'm not one to point my nose away from one opportunity, for the sake of 1 weeks worth of grinding, especially in Wurm because if there is one thing that makes this game different than others, it's that it teaches the virtue of patience. I hope you get the experience of PvP you're looking for, be it on the 24th, or by the 1st.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeston said:

What use are new players to an old top heavy economy to which they cannot participate? Wurms fatal flaw decision was letting people trade, share, sell hyper-leveled accounts thus pumping the economy ever higher instead of having any balance and pushing new players usefulness out who join, I can tell you from my new player perspective that Wurms biggest boon is its market trade and economy. Yet they effectively killed it over time with accounts that should have died off with the original owners.

You haven't been around long enough to see the disastrous changes that they have made to the economy over the years.  And the only reason that you don't know about it, Is because players are too scared to say anything for fear of getting banned, And losing all their money.  My wife and i just came back to wurm because we thought the steam release would bring new players, and maybe stimulate things.  But instead we find wurm taking the absolute worst route possible once again.  Maybe well allow this, Maybe well allow that.  Maybe i'll lose interest and walk away for good this time.   In one quick sentence, Segregating new players from old players, And new servers from old servers, Is absolutely harmful to the players old and new,  And can be seen as nothing but another cash grab on the staffs part.  Which they have done on numerous occasions before.  And most likely i'll be banned for saying this on their forum.  But it's still true!

• Like 1

Q: What size will the new servers be?
A: New PvE server will be 4096x4096, the size of Independence. More details on the PvP map will be announced at a later date.

One of those awful auto-pregenerated maps, Xanadu style?

nope think they ahve a dev making the maps - prob Ausimus

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Skatyna said:

exactly! More than anything it must be a PvP server released first and a PvE at a later day for people to move who doesnt really fit in pvp.. with the release of pve server first might as well dont even bother with pvp server next. 

I'm sorry but no.
I have absolutely ZERO interest in participating in PvP in any-way shape or form nor find any thrill from the idea of skill-lose to those who decide to participate in any KOS sort of behavior. Which is inevitable in all PvP environments no matter the game, especially when Steam Players are involved!

At least with PvE everyone has the opportunity to progress without worrying about other players interfering or being concerned about being ransacked.

Why would forcing everyone to a PvP environment from the get-go be in anyway a good idea?

Folks who are interested in the PvP aspect will go to the PvP server. Regardless of whether they've started a little shack or not on the PvE server. However if you force PvE players onto a PvP map from the start you are very likely to lose those players altogether, as in quit the game, because they are dealing with other players who treat everyone on a KOS system. Which couldn't be farther from what a PvE player is looking for.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Q: Will items and skills transfer between the PvE and PvP servers?
A: Items will not transfer between the new PvE and PvP servers. We are however currently planning on skills transferring between the two

Does money in the bank also transfer? if we buy money from the store in the beginning then transfer to PvP, we keep our money in the bank or no? 

Edited by WittleBunnBun

Just now, WittleBunnBun said:

Does money in the bank also transfer? if we buy money from the store in the beginning then transfer to PvP, we keep our money in the bank or no? 

Alao, is the transfer from server to server free at will or only in when the PvP server launches. 

I am also curious about how the PvE to PvP transfer will continue to function.

Will it be the same as Freedom to Epic?

Where we can transfer to the PvP server but we cannot return to PvE
Or Freedom Isles + Chaos?
Where transferring between PvE and PvP can be done freely (with the exception of items of course).

Based on the statement that the items will not transfer, but skills will. I am led to believe that it will be treated like the first option. Where they will be their own "cluster". Freedom vs Epic clusters that already exist currently.

1 hour ago, Nightbreed said:

Is this an attempt to move all players to steam?  You have no plans to merge the servers,  Steam players can't join the old servers, Old accounts can't join the steam servers.  What is our incentive to keep playing this game when you do nothing to bring in new players to existing servers?

it has already been stated that the old servers will be joinable through steam. You just can't use the same character on both clusters. 

5 minutes ago, Rhianna said:

nope think they ahve a dev making the maps - prob Ausimus

I do believe ausi will be making maps as he is good at making them(looking at his past released maps)

As for those complaining about a few days to a week max of waiting for a pvp server to go live it is not the end of the world just because wurm is coming to steam does not mean that 900000 players will come and because they see a pvp server come late they all go "well guess no pvp for me ever" they will just get more excited and play more and learn the game better so that they can be better in pvp(or so they hope)

First few weeks on a pvp server with no items no priests nearly no skills is going to be slow cave living and stockpiling resources while everyone grinds 1-2 skills max so that they can rush to be the first to have a proper defendable deed up and running
Even 10 man groups in wu it took us a few days(skill and action timers where set to 10x) to get a reasonable secure  deed and and spare gear to go out for pvp without being without gear for ages and this will be even more so with a brand new start

All this talk about "after a week the rush will be gone it will be lost forever pvp will be ruined" is just silly nonesense they are releasing pve first to make sure that everything works so that when pvp is released its hopefully less buggy whats so bad about it?

15 minutes ago, Nightbreed said:

You haven't been around long enough to see the disastrous changes that they have made to the economy over the years.  And the only reason that you don't know about it, Is because players are too scared to say anything for fear of getting banned, And losing all their money.  My wife and i just came back to wurm because we thought the steam release would bring new players, and maybe stimulate things.  But instead we find wurm taking the absolute worst route possible once again.  Maybe well allow this, Maybe well allow that.  Maybe i'll lose interest and walk away for good this time.   In one quick sentence, Segregating new players from old players, And new servers from old servers, Is absolutely harmful to the players old and new,  And can be seen as nothing but another cash grab on the staffs part.  Which they have done on numerous occasions before.  And most likely i'll be banned for saying this on their forum.  But it's still true!

We dont speak about it anymore not out of fear of being banned but because we have done the dance a billion times we have said what we wanted to say countless time and come to the realization that they dont care enough to bother putting in the time and effort so why should we redo the dance every week?
Having a new cluster combined with the steam release so that new players get a fresh experience with the option to join the established servers if they want to see how wurm can look like in a few years from now is a nice thing not a bad thing if you where to release on steam and throw everyone that joins on indy you will have the same situation you have now on indy it will be a ghost town with a bunch of newbie shacks and thats it

People assume that a wurm launch is going to mean loads of new people the revival of pvp and all these other miracles but when you look on other sites and the mentions of wurm that come across it comes over as a "the game is okay if you like the grind but the people in charge dont really care so spend your money and time elsewhere" it is a response i see pop up quite often the concept of the game and the game itself are great but the decision making behind it makes people question "are these guys really the ones who created it or are they the ones left in charge of a rotting carcass and trying to revive it" again something i read somewhere
Most people who play these kinds of games have wu they tried wu they saw the news of abandonment and will see this new launch and go "lolol good luck it will fail" and will tell their friends the same we wont get loads of new players it will be mostly old returning or existing players trying it out with some new ones mixed in

And thus a lot of the things people are scared of here most likely wont really impact it at all so id say just enjoy the new maps see it as a great time to go back in and see if you like it now and make the most of it

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Q: How will players become priests without other priests around?
A: The GM team will be helping out with follower and priest conversions for a short time period after the server launches.

Is there no WL or BL on the server for people to just convert themselves? 

9 minutes ago, wipeout said:

As for those complaining about a few days to a week max of waiting for a pvp server to go live it is not the end of the world just because wurm is coming to steam does not mean that 900000 players will come and because they see a pvp server come late they all go "well guess no pvp for me ever" they will just get more excited and play more and learn the game better so that they can be better in pvp(or so they hope)

At the end of the day, PvP and PvE are 2 very different experiences. 

PvE often has people carving out their own spot of land, perhaps looking for the more solo experience. Whereas PvP often has larger groups coming together for a greater purpose, perhaps looking for more team based play.

My point here is, give people the choice from day 1. Because if a new person joins the PvE server and decides it's not for them, you can almost guarantee they won't be back to try the PvP server when it releases.

Edited by BrokenSanity
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BrokenSanity said:

At the end of the day, PvP and PvE are 2 very different experiences. 

PvE often has people carving out their own spot of land, perhaps looking for the more solo experience. Whereas PvP often has larger groups coming together for a greater purpose, perhaps looking for more team based play.

My point here is, give people the choice from day 1. Because if people join the PvE server and decide it's not for them, you can guarantee they won't be back to try the PvP server when it releases.

If people join the PvE server and decide it's not for them, then maybe the game itself isn't for them to begin with.
Ultimately the game doesn't change whether it's PvP or PvE it's only how you have to approach the tasks in which you decide to perform and travel.

If a player logs in and decides that they don't like the skill-grind, the crafting, the terraforming, etc; What does that have anything to do with it not being PvP or PvE?

I'm not saying the choice shouldn't be there from day 1 as I do think it should be. However trying to say that putting PvP players on a PvE server for a week is going to kill their mood "if they don't like it". The only thing this is doing is saying "You can't steal that person's stuff or kill them for their gear because you're on PvE right now."

If you can't get past the PvE aspects of a game, what makes you think they can handle anything further more to a PvP extent when you're adding additional risk and more elements on-top of it?
PvE doesn't kill PvP. You can't exactly have PvP without PvE to begin with as it's an added something on top of the already existing game. PvP is just an added "Player Threat" that PvE doesn't have. :P

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, WittleBunnBun said:

Is there no WL or BL on the server for people to just convert themselves? 

There is not as originally the idea was that people who wanted to convert had to travel to wild(now chaos) then later on convert by person was added and when a new cluster was added(release and such) gms where given the task for the first few days/weeks to convert people leading to people waiting for ages to get it done and as we dont really get to deal with new clusters much i dont think the devs ever took the time to change that concept of the game to be more forgiving for new clusters(originally the idea of separate clusters was not a thing in wurm it was just going to be 2 servers 1 pvp 1 pve with an ql 50 ore cap)

8 minutes ago, Zera said:

If a player logs in and decides that they don't like the skill-grind, the crafting, the terraforming, etc; What does that have anything to do with it not being PvP or PvE?

I'm not saying the choice shouldn't be there from day 1 as I do think it should be. 

That's exactly why I didn't give those examples when describing how PvE and PvP differs. The core mechanics are the same, the main difference is in the way people generally play together. On PvP servers on average you get bigger deeds with more teamwork oriented game-play, and solo play is considerably harder. Conversely on PvE servers it is far easier to solo play, which is perfect for a lot of people. 

As you said though, the choice should be there from day 1. Give both servers an equal chance to thrive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wipeout said:

im still going to rush for having a boat anyway just so that i can travel around the coast a lot easier

In fact, for me as a beginner, the boat was the safest and often fastest way to travel around. I fact, my rowboat was my first vehicle ever, already before I premed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zera said:

I am also curious about how the PvE to PvP transfer will continue to function.

I edited this out of my post because it was actually answered in this thread. 

I am still wondering tho if bank accounts are global or per server. I dont wanna pump money into silver to find out I cant bring it to the PvP map 

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Q: How will players become priests without other priests around?
A: The GM team will be helping out with follower and priest conversions for a short time period after the server launches.

wtf

putting simple npc that can convert would look 100 times more profesionally

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Votip said:

wtf

putting simple npc that can convert would look 100 times more profesionally

Agreed.

Alternatively, bring back conversion at the black/white lights. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BrokenSanity said:

Agreed.

Alternatively, bring back conversion at the black/white lights. 

That is still a thing just they dont want to place a wl/bl on the new cluster i guess

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

PvP
Q: Will PvP launch at the same time?
A: We plan on launching the PvP part of the Steam release a short time period after the PvE server launches, so that everyone gets to experience both the PvE and the PvP side, and we have enough time to work out any quirks with the PvE release before focusing on PvP.

I'm so excited about the steam launch and looking forward to playing on the new server!  It would have been more fun if we could have started on pvp with no skills and everyone on the same footing.  As it is now, everyone will be making a mad dash for skill gain on the pve server and will go to pvp with mad skills.  So newbie pvpers like me will get slaughtered.  My blood will be on your hands!  😪

• Cat 1