Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Steam Launch FAQ

Just now, Jeston said:

it would have to be super successful to add another island and I would see that long down the road anyway, seems to be no one will be using boats a lot unless they make many nice islands and inland rivers

You never know, there's also folks who just really like boats. Haha!
Either way, there's always a "reason" to use anything in the game, it just depends if it's the right reason(s) for you. 🤪

I understand, I am just saying if they just make pockets of closed lakes and 1 or 2 islands at most after a while boats wont be used much, so its best to look at making the server land in such a way to give boats good use similar to land

Edited by Jeston

@Retrograde

I know this is a long shot but do you think it would be worth having a small player base from pvp  side for the the initial release of PvP  who are voted for by the players that would sit and discuss / suggest potential  improvements / ideas and issues with the devs.

having that 3rd party view can always be helpful you might think that something that is being implemented is great but then someone says what if i do this does it break??

just a thought?

You can transfer between the PVP and PVE server with something like the epic portal, items do not cross skills do is the current plan. The delay between PVP and PVE servers should only be a few days to a week max we plan to keep it as short as we can and want to give each server the focus it needs.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jeston said:

I understand, I am just saying if they just make pockets of closed lakes and 1 or 2 islands at most after a while boats wont be used much, so its best to look at making the server giving boats good use equal to land as well

That's understandable but I can't help but feel that the concern here is on a "long-term" basis when it's still so early to truly be concerned about this.
Ultimately early game boats aren't used much to begin with anyway. You build a row-boat, a sailboat maybe and use it to travel around to find yourself a suitable location or safely transport goods long-distances without roads.

I've heard/seen very few early-game players who consider the idea of even cross-server travel or moving from this island to that island to this other island, etc;

I get the love for boats, I do. We have one in our group, but for an early map and an early skill player-base it seems a little silly to be overly concerned with the "boat need" just yet.

If the Steam release does very well, and the server winds up flooded, you don't think they wouldn't introduce a second server to create a cluster? So that all these new players could participate in some new map in some way? If the initial release 'new map' wound up somehow capping out on players for extended periods? :P

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Steam
Q: Are we able to use multiple accounts on Steam?
A: You will be able to create multiple characters through the Wurm Online Steam client. You can use certain workarounds to run multiple game instances on Steam, and we believe that will also work, for running multiple Steam characters at the same time.

Will anything be done to prevent alt abuse from soiling the new PvP server?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zera said:

That's understandable but I can't help but feel that the concern here is on a "long-term" basis when it's still so early to truly be concerned about this.
Ultimately early game boats aren't used much to begin with anyway. You build a row-boat, a sailboat maybe and use it to travel around to find yourself a suitable location or safely transport goods long-distances without roads.

I've heard/seen very few early-game players who consider the idea of even cross-server travel or moving from this island to that island to this other island, etc;

I get the love for boats, I do. We have one in our group, but for an early map and an early skill player-base it seems a little silly to be overly concerned with the "boat need" just yet.

If the Steam release does very well, and the server winds up flooded, you don't think they wouldn't introduce a second server to create a cluster? So that all these new players could participate in some new map in some way? If the initial release 'new map' wound up somehow capping out on players for extended periods? :P

I just hope they make the Indy size map have some kind of iconic landmark like indy has the tallest mountain, the new server could have a huge river that splits two major chunks down the side

Just now, Jeston said:

I just hope they make the Indy size map have some kind of iconic landmark like indy has the tallest mountain, the new server could have a huge river that splits two major chunks down the side

I can't say I understand everyone's apparent need for rivers on maps. This is a common something that folks in WU want to see too. 😕 I think they're kind of a PITA personally, even if they can be pretty.

I mean, plenty of 'rivers' are created by the players when they create cross-map canals. Which is very common among a lot of the existing servers, so there's that too for making boats "useful" on a single map. Albeit as with everything, requires some effort. :P

10 minutes ago, hemrzz said:

@Retrograde

I know this is a long shot but do you think it would be worth having a small player base from pvp  side for the the initial release of PvP  who are voted for by the players that would sit and discuss / suggest potential  improvements / ideas and issues with the devs.

having that 3rd party view can always be helpful you might think that something that is being implemented is great but then someone says what if i do this does it break??

just a thought?

Thats what the PvP discussions are for. 

As for a small select few it never works, it has been tried and we'd rather talk with everyone. 

• Like 1

Do we have a time however approximate for this release?

Q6XLP5u.png

example map, obviously there would be more inland lakes and smaller islands, just example of what I would see as layout giving use to boats but also still giving people the want for canals to be made to their inland lakes or if they dont want to go down a winding river that takes longer

Edited by Jeston
  • Like 1

@Retrograde

@Darklords

If items don't cross, does this mean if a player spawns in pve then goes to pvp, they will lose their starter items.

Second, will we be able to be libila faith on the pve server? If not, this will put any potential libila players at a disadvantage in prayers until a pvp server is opened.

Edited by Rudie

Will the chats be shared between current WO and steam?

Is this an attempt to move all players to steam?  You have no plans to merge the servers,  Steam players can't join the old servers, Old accounts can't join the steam servers.  What is our incentive to keep playing this game when you do nothing to bring in new players to existing servers?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nightbreed said:

Is this an attempt to move all players to steam?  You have no plans to merge the servers,  Steam players can't join the old servers, Old accounts can't join the steam servers.  What is our incentive to keep playing this game when you do nothing to bring in new players to existing servers?

What use are new players to an old top heavy economy to which they cannot participate? Wurms fatal flaw decision was letting people trade, share, sell hyper-leveled accounts thus pumping the economy ever higher instead of having any balance and pushing new players usefulness out who join, I can tell you from my new player perspective that Wurms biggest boon is its market trade and economy. Yet they effectively killed it over time with accounts that should have died off with the original owners.

Edited by Jeston
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Rhianna said:

Do we have a time however approximate for this release?

18 minutes ago, Nightbreed said:

This was said before even in here too that they want to keep things separate for the time being which i can see why they would want to keep them separate and its not an attempt to move all players to steam
Steam players can join the old servers as stated before as shown here
"Q: Can I play on the Steam servers without using Steam? Can I play on the old servers through the Steam client?
A:  Yes to both! While you cannot log in onto old accounts from Steam, or onto Steam accounts from our standalone client, both of those will allow you to create a character and play on all of the available servers."

Treat the steam servers as a new separate cluster just like release and pristine but with a pvp server and if stuff goes bad it will be merged with the other cluster if it keeps doing decent or good it remains its own cluster

22 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Will the chats be shared between current WO and steam?

Considering if we go freedom on epic we have access to freedom chat my best guess it we would still have that as i highly doubt they will run a new login server just for that or make a new kingdom and yet again call it freedom(with something extra) which means there will be quite a bit of confusion if this isnt addressed properly

20 minutes ago, Nightbreed said:

Steam players CAN join the old servers. There is nothing stopping new players using the Steam Launcher from joining the Old Servers.
Just like you CAN create a character with the old launcher and join the new server.

The only thing you can't do is sail between the two or login to a Steam created character with the old launcher (or visa versa). Since I am assuming that characters created via Steam will have a SteamID attached to them, which of course the old client doesn't have access to.
https://clips.twitch.tv/DeafUnsightlyDaikonImGlitch

They also didn't say they didn't have plans to not merge either. It's still an undecided, up in the air situation. The only thing known for sure was that they had no immediate (or very near future) plans to link all the servers together. That doesn't mean it would/could never happen, it simply means there is no current official news on the matter one way or the other.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Nightbreed said:

I think you missed this one in the FAQ:

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Servers

Q: Can I play on the Steam servers without using Steam? Can I play on the old servers through the Steam client?

A:  Yes to both! While you cannot log in onto old accounts from Steam, or onto Steam accounts from our standalone client, both of those will allow you to create a character and play on all of the available servers.

So people from Steam can join the existing servers through the Steam client.

• Like 1

nevermind misread

Edited by Rhianna

will trading my wurm online silver for wurm steam silver/items be allowed? it's not "technically" out of game assets 😉

• Like 1

What's the name of the new Islands?

Edited by Whane
  • Cat 1

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Q: Will PvP launch at the same time?

A: We plan on launching the PvP part of the Steam release a short time period after the PvE server launches, so that everyone gets to experience both the PvE and the PvP side, and we have enough time to work out any quirks with the PvE release before focusing on PvP.

Sorry to be so negative, but this plan will kill PvP on the new server release. 

Everyone knows Wurm has the most momentum on the first few days of a release. Without a PvP server, all that momentum will be lost as people get comfortable on the PvE server. The large majorly will not switch to a new server after they've already started, deeded, etc. Once the PvP server finally releases, instead of a flood of players, there'll just be dribs and drabs.

I urge you to reconsider this. Let both PvP'ers and PvE'ers have the full experience from day one. It's the best chance the PvP server has of long term survival.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BrokenSanity said:

Sorry to be so negative, but this plan will kill PvP on the new server release. 

Everyone knows Wurm has the most momentum on the first few days of a release. Without a PvP server, all that momentum will be lost as people get comfortable on the PvE server. The large majorly will not switch to a new server after they've already started, deeded, etc. Once the PvP server finally releases, instead of a flood of players, there'll just be dribs and drabs.

I urge you to reconsider this. Let both PvP'ers and PvE'ers have the full experience from day one. It's the best chance the PvP server has of long term survival.

But people play Wurm for years, and take breaks for just as long. The PvP island will only be delayed from between a few days to a week, as stated.

13 minutes ago, Rhianna said:

Its to be a surprise I reckon Whane

Probably, but I thought I'd ask, just in case.

Edited by Whane

27 minutes ago, Whane said:

But people play Wurm for years, and take breaks for just as long. The PvP island will only be delayed from between a few days to a week, as stated.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, people taking breaks for years doesn't change the fact that the first few days of a release are the most important days to build momentum, communities, etc. With this decision, this is all going to happen on the PvE server, not the PvP one.

Yes some of the hardcore PvPers will probably cross over, but the hope was that there would be some sort of new blood with this release, and this almost guarantees that won't happen.

Edited by BrokenSanity
  • Cat 1