Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Steam Launch FAQ

Servers
Q: What size will the new servers be?
A: New PvE server will be 4096x4096, the size of Independence. More details on the PvP map will be announced at a later date.

Q: Will the servers be connected to the Freedom Cluster?
A: The new servers coming along with the Steam release will be disconnected from the current servers, similar to how Pristine and Release were at their launch.

Q: Will the new servers eventually be connected to the old ones?
A: This depends on many factors, and is not something we can answer at this point. We are definitely not looking at connecting them any time soon, but it’s a possibility in the future.

Q: Can I play on the Steam servers without using Steam? Can I play on the old servers through the Steam client?
A:  Yes to both! While you cannot log in onto old accounts from Steam, or onto Steam accounts from our standalone client, both of those will allow you to create a character and play on all of the available servers.

Q: Will the new servers have a different skill rate or the skilling system?
A: No, the servers will have the same skilling system as all current PvE servers. We won’t be using the skilling system that’s currently in use on Epic.

Q: How will players become priests without other priests around?
A: The GM team will be helping out with follower and priest conversions for a short time period after the server launches.

Q: Can you connect to the Epic cluster from the new servers?

A: No, at least not at the time of launch.

Steam
Q: Are we able to use multiple accounts on Steam?
A: You will be able to create multiple characters through the Wurm Online Steam client. You can use certain workarounds to run multiple game instances on Steam, and we believe that will also work, for running multiple Steam characters at the same time.

Q: Will the Steam client be free to download and play?
A: Yes, same as the standalone Wurm Online client.

Q: Can I purchase premium time and silver coins through Steam?
A: Yes. Accounts made through Steam will be able to purchase premium time and silver coins only through Steam, and accounts made on our standalone registration site will only be able to purchase premium and silvers through the shop on our website.

Q: Can I log into my old accounts from the Steam client?

A: No, you can only log into your account using the Steam client if you have started playing through Steam, otherwise you have to use the standalone client available on our website.

Q: Are there any benefits to playing through Steam?

A: Not really - the Steam client is mostly aimed at new players discovering Wurm through Steam. For our established players wanting to try out the new servers, we recommend using our standalone client.

PvP
Q: Will PvP launch at the same time?
A: We plan on launching the PvP part of the Steam release a short time period after the PvE server launches, so that everyone gets to experience both the PvE and the PvP side, and we have enough time to work out any quirks with the PvE release before focusing on PvP. At this moment, we're aiming to launch both PvP and PvE at the same time.

Q: Will items and skills transfer between the PvE and PvP servers?
A: Items will not transfer between the new PvE and PvP servers. We are however currently planning on skills transferring between the two.

We'll update this as we can as you ask more questions, so get asking!

• Like 10
  • Cat 1

I'm coming for you Rheeee! @Rhianna

Steam release. I am excite! This sounds better than I initially thought. Yus!

• Like 2

Biggest question, will we get a screenshot of the new map a week or so before release?

• Like 2

hope the mob  respawn rate is very fast , will be a lot of people wanting fs....

Will the same staff be in charge of this Wurm Online edition as well?

Will PvP be connected to PvE servers like chaos to freedom or epic to freedom ? 

29 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Q: How will players become priests without other priests around?
A: The GM team will be helping out with follower and priest conversions for a short time period after the server launches.

Why not a npc that lets you do what the wl/bl let you do? its been done on wu servers by random people with little experience in java so im sure something like this could be done by you guys too ❤️ save the gms the headache and trouble and make it look better in the general public's view ;)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Egard said:

Will PvP be connected to PvE servers like chaos to freedom or epic to freedom ? 

A: Items will not transfer between the new PvE and PvP servers. We are however currently planning on skills transferring between the two.

2 minutes ago, Oreo said:

Will the same staff be in charge of this Wurm Online edition as well?

Yes

Just now, Retrograde said:

That doesn’t answer the question. Should have phrased it better. Chaos to freedom you can sail between. Epic to freedom you need to use a portal. So since items won’t transfer safe to assume portal to go to pvp ?

Just now, Egard said:

That doesn’t answer the question. Should have phrased it better. Chaos to freedom you can sail between. Epic to freedom you need to use a portal. So since items won’t transfer safe to assume portal to go to pvp ?

I believe it's safe to assume portal, as items would not cross, including boats. 

6 minutes ago, Jeston said:

what that you cant transfer items between the two server?

No. That it is being released AFTER the PVE server.

It pushes the population onto the PVE and when the PVP server is released, it won't be as populated. People will be inclined to stay because they already built their house and tools.

• Like 3

Will specific skills like weapon skills, Shield skills be non transferable from pve to Pvp .

This would make it so people have to leave deed to skill these and not just be able to train them on pve.

bOzspW2.png

Also This is a good idea to remove from PvP

Edited by hemrzz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hemrzz said:

Will specific skills like weapon skills, Shield skills be non transferable from pve to Pvp .

This would make it so people have to leave deed to skill these and not just be able to train them on pve.

Something like that would be great for a discussion regarding the PvP server, these are more general questions about how things will work, not suggestions for things to be in. 

I'll speak with darklords about having a discussion about potential things like this in his next thread

what are the point of boats if there is no server crossing and just portal for pvp/pve? or will the new maps have proper inland winding rivers?

Edited by Jeston

Just now, Jeston said:

what are the point of boats if there is no server crossing? or will the new maps have proper inland rivers?

You can still sail around the map and there's usually islands on the map(s) too.
Also no one said they wouldn't add more servers to the new one coming, they only said it wouldn't initially (at first, possibly later) be connected to the current servers. That doesn't rule out adding more servers to create it's own cluster for the time being.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zera said:

You can still sail around the map and there's usually islands on the map(s) too.
Also no one said they wouldn't add more servers to the new one coming, they only said it wouldn't initially (at first, possibly later) be connected to the current servers. That doesn't rule out adding more servers to create it's own cluster for the time being.

it would have to be super successful to add another island and I would see that long down the road anyway, seems to be no one will be using boats a lot unless they make many nice islands and inland rivers

Edited by Jeston

Just now, Jeston said:

it would have to be super successful to add another island and I would see that long down the road anyway, seem to be no one will be using boats unless they make many nice islands and inland rivers

im still going to rush for having a boat anyway just so that i can travel around the coast a lot easier

• Like 3