Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

Camping suggestion - "make camp"

It would be really great to actually camp securely for a period off-line.  You are on a journey of a thousand tiles and need to eat, shower, and maybe go to work.  Find a spot off the road, select "make camp" and after a suitable counter, a tent with a bedroll inside and with a little staked and roped area attached.  Anything you put inside the site is the same as inside a building or fence, including animals.

Camp pack

1 backpack

1 bedroll

1 explorer tent

2 shafts

4 rope

Final weight of that lot is 15kg

"Make camp" would  pitch the tent and create a small enclosure in front with ropes and shafts, 

My original thought on this was a "Traveller's Wagon" which would exclude the backpack.  You still have the little perimeter, but it would enclose your hitched animals.   I figured the wagon could have a couple of slots like the saddle-bag slots on a saddle.  Put the bedroll, tent, shafts and ropes in the slots and "make camp" becomes an option.  None of the components are improvable, but you can replace them as needed.

• Like 6

im currently miles from home at the  3 legged troll hotel in zanadu just down the road from the rift P21 ,theres rooms and beds a barman who ive bought a carpet and a knife off ,theres a bank and mail out side ,my horse is in a luxury pen with enchanted grass theres a well outside .my tents at rift down the road awaiting the fight here in comfort .i can see your point but sometimes theres nowere safe

On 6/13/2020 at 1:14 AM, christopher said:

im currently miles from home at the  3 legged troll hotel in zanadu just down the road from the rift P21 ,theres rooms and beds a barman who ive bought a carpet and a knife off ,theres a bank and mail out side ,my horse is in a luxury pen with enchanted grass theres a well outside .my tents at rift down the road awaiting the fight here in comfort .i can see your point but sometimes theres nowere safe

Having somewhere safe IS the point.  I have seen plenty of players set up a camp, cutting trees to construct fences to pen in an area so they have somewhere safe to put their tent and set up their gear.  This would let them do that without constructing a yard or shed that most leave behind, sometimes creating problems for others.  If there is an inn nearby, great.  If not, make camp.

Edited by TheTrickster

to some of us wurm glamping is more than a hobby

• Like 2

3 hours ago, leander said:

to some of us wurm glamping is more than a hobby

Thanks for this.  It is one of a few posts that inspired me to formulate this suggestion.

• Like 1

I'm not sure this brings anything new to the game. I have a kit for camping that consists of:

• branded horse with horse equipment
  • tent
  • bedroll
  • possibly extra pack mule horse to put some of my stuff on

And I can basically drop this anywhere in a minute, when I need to log off, and I am in the middle of a long trip.

Or was there some other purpose here?

6 hours ago, Idlamn said:

I'm not sure this brings anything new to the game. I have a kit for camping that consists of:

• branded horse with horse equipment
  • tent
  • bedroll
  • possibly extra pack mule horse to put some of my stuff on

And I can basically drop this anywhere in a minute, when I need to log off, and I am in the middle of a long trip.

Or was there some other purpose here?

Well, for starters, with your kit as described your horses are vulnerable when you log off. 

In my limited time and experience with Wurm I have seen several travellers set up a camp and put a fence around it for protection while they are offline.  From memory the smallest of these is a 3x2 enclosure, which mostly stays behind with a locked gate.  You cannot build that in a minute, nobody can destroy it in a minute.  

From what I can see of the logic; the tent is meant to provide a "travel" version of a house for secure storage (which, as you say can be set up in a minute), the bedroll provides a similar "travel" version of a bed.  There is no travel version of the fence, which many use when they camp, to protect your animals and any objects/material you may choose to place on the ground while in situ.

Edited by TheTrickster

On 6/22/2020 at 1:20 AM, TheTrickster said:

Well, for starters, with your kit as described your horses are vulnerable when you log off. 

A branded horse is not vulnerable. Once you brand it, you can set permissions on it just like an owned item, and no one else can take it, lead it, tame it nor attack it.

A horse, even unbranded, hitched to a locked tent or cart/wagon, is similarly invulnerable (except in rift areas, don't leave horses close).

The newbie tent is invulnerable, and serves as hitching point for one animal. The crafted tent needs locked by you and it becomes similarly invulnerable.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Anarres said:

A branded horse is not vulnerable. Once you brand it, you can set permissions on it just like an owned item, and no one else can take it, lead it, tame it nor attack it.

A horse, even unbranded, hitched to a locked tent or cart/wagon, is similarly invulnerable (except in rift areas, don't leave horses close).

The newbie tent is invulnerable, and serves as hitching point for one animal. The crafted tent needs locked by you and it becomes similarly invulnerable.

I meant vulnerable to mob attack.   I have so far lost two horses this way.  Well, not lost as such, just changed from a mount to a meal.

If you want to set out some items, a mat, an altar, an anvil, you will have to pack them up every time you move away from the tent or log off and then unpack them and set them out again when you come back.  Pitching a tent is not making a camp, and people currently either fence in their camp or have to make and break camp every time they log off or go to hunt/forage/whatever.

Typically untamed horses are not vulnerable to mob attack. A horse hitched to tent is not attacked by (regular) mobs. Unless you're talking about rift mobs, those attack them yes.

For rift, you need to be careful, ok, but you can lose a horse anyway to aoe. You don't need the fence, you can park far from rift area instead, but if you're worried you may be better off with a fence. A single fence for the whole party at rift should be enough of course.

When you talk about "many people" who fence, are you talking about rifts? I am not aware of people who fence for camping, except in rare cases. I mean, for the night you don't usually need it, and people don't usually camp for more than one night (and that's the exception even, most return to their deeds as soon as they possibly can). Don't get me wrong, I'm all for features that help roaming, but I'm not sure why you think today people actually roam and fence because of it (not for some good reason that a "camp" would replace).

Also, assuming they would, the suggestion seems to be that you need to have items like ropes in inventory, if I understood right? Dunno, typically once people find out / make / are given a halter rope, they don't need or carry ropes. Trying to think how I'd use such feature, I wouldn't have ropes, and if I'm not near ship, I wouldn't have a ropetool either, so if I figure during a trip that I want a camp not a tent (why?), oh well, gotta make a ropetool first... :) 

Edited by Anarres

On 6/24/2020 at 12:58 PM, Anarres said:

A horse hitched to tent is not attacked by (regular) mobs

From Wurmpedia (the last dot point of what you can do with both starter and explorer tents);

Hitch an animal to them (the animal will stay online when the player logs out and remain vulnerable to aggressive creatures' attacks).

And like I said, I have logged in to find my hitched animal dead (and was not old or sick).

I would figure some roam to find resources, some to hunt, some for archaeology, some for looting ruins, and some just to roam.  Some sail to remote areas of their server or to another server, and want a little security for their stuff without having to constantly pack and unpack.  Most "light travellers" that I know in real life are more than happy, keen even, to leave as small a footprint as possible.  I have seen several camps, with tent, anvil and altar inside a fence, and quite a few 3x2 fenced areas that look to me like ex camps, as well as isolated bits of fencing.  Maybe you are not aware of them, but I have seen them,  Anyone actually journeying and not simply transiting from a to b will have reason to stop and venture around a local area, at which point there is a good reason for a camp (i.e. something more than a tent & bedroll) - currently that involves carrying or constructing building material. 

I am not sure where you get the idea that I am suggesting people would need ropes in inventory.  I am suggesting ropes to be used in the construction/assembly of the camp pack, to take the place of having to either carry or make all the fencing material required for a 3x2 fenced area.  Most of these fences that I have seen are wooden fences, weighing 6.2kg per panel, or 62kg for a 3x2.  The "simplest" fence is the roundpole, which still weighs 4.2kg per panel.  A rope fence is the lightest, but still at 4kg per panel.  All are prohibitive to carry unless in a vehicle, all are "consumed" when constructed and must either be destroyed before departing or they clutter the landscape - for this the wooden fence at least is very marginally quicker to decay..

I certainly understand that if you are simply travelling to a destination and stopping only for logging off you would only want to chuck up the tent and chuck down the swag.  However, for some of us it is more than that.  I have a home in a well-stable village, but I am a natural wanderer, a light traveler, a Wurm nomad, and have seen others both in-game and in the fora who would fit that description and who I think would benefit from this.  

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

Generally +1, would not harm to have. As to the animal hitched: I was not aware that they be specifically attackable, but have no counter evidence, so taking it as working hypothesis.

In general, all animals, branded ones included, are vulnerable to attacks by hungry or starving mobs, some among them, like seals, not being aggressive, normally, whereas tamed animals will be attacked by every hostile creature. So I am not sure whether the dead horses hitched to a tent as reported did not fall prey to hungry/starving creatures.

45 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

So I am not sure whether the dead horses hitched to a tent as reported did not fall prey to hungry/starving creatures.

I am pretty sure that is what happened.  My understanding is that if they were behind a fence they would have been safe.

On 6/24/2020 at 12:30 AM, TheTrickster said:

And like I said, I have logged in to find my hitched animal dead (and was not old or sick).

This happened to one of my favorite horses named Sweetheart that was on deed and cared for too. It was aged and hitched and I thought it was safe but I was sadly wrong.

As for the camp in a nice package idea I love it! +1 I might add a little cooking gear mixed in with it would be a nice touch. ;)

Edited by Katrat
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Katrat said:

I might add a little cooking gear mixed in with it would be a nice touch

Yes, it would.  Maybe a little inventory room in the backpack would work.  

Slots would be useful.  I keep thinking of so many things that could make good use of slots.

• Like 1