Sign in to follow this  
Wildelf

Server hosting, etc

Just curious should I have another pc to host WU server? Cause I see some server hardware and never use them before and I don't want to keep this pc running 24/7.

So though about setting up a world/server myself, but wasn't sure what the best way to set it up. I noticed there a lot of cheap pc out there and saw some cheap server hardware on amazon as well Newegg.

It really depends on what kind of server you want to set up

Do you want to run it for yourself? for a small group of people? for the public?
Depending on those questions the answer can be different

There are minimum requirements to all but if you are playing just for yourself and maybe 1-2 others a space pc with a decently modern cpu and atleast 8gb of ram and a ssd would be fine
If its for a small group say 5-10 people take the above and go to 16gb just on the safe side(you probably will never really use it but you never know)
If  you are going public pretty much same as 2nd answer but be prepared to invest quite a bit more into the cpu

In the end depending on what your goal is its often better to rent a server somewhere through any of the server hosts that support wu as overall cost will be lower then buying a 2nd pc and running it and power cost and so on
Next to that is your internet fast enough as hosting even for a small group will be quite a bit of upload speed that is needed(on idle wurm uses 2.4-4kb/s per client that idles around but it goes up to 200kb+/s on login or fast travel)

But in the end it still is not worth it to buy a dedicated server as the cost will be far to high when you account for power and purchase price

Now here is a quote from elsewhere on the subject of power cost
"For instance, one server can use between 500 to 1,200 watts per hour, according to Ehow.com. If the average use is 850 watts per hour, multiplied by 24 that equals 20,400 watts daily, or 20.4 kilowatts (kWh). Multiply that by 365 days a year for 7,446 kWh per year. According to the US Energy Information Administration (PDF), the average kWh cost for commercial use from January 2012 through January 2013 was 9.83 cents. So that means it would cost $731.94 to power the aforementioned server for one year."

Now lets take server hosting done by a company (in this case pingperfect but dont use them) a simple server with 4gb of ram dedicated to it(mind you the above examples are higher because you have overhead of running the os as well) will cost you $272.34USD a year that is 2.687 times less then the power cost of running your average server at home 24/7 all year round

Now lets take a bare bone machine prebuild that could work as a simple server to host your wu on you will want to look at the most important part and that is single core performance and you might say but why isnt more cores better?
And well it is but not for server hosting wurm doesnt do multi threaded workloads its single core so far as i know so going for a "cheap" amd mid tier cpu just isnt going to cut it at the start maybe but once its more build up and has a few tens of thousands of items laying around all with their decay timers and dozens of animals and buildings and fences it will add up to a lot of processing that need to happen every once in a while so you want a powerful cpu and for that comes high cost

TLDR
If its for solo or 1-2 people host it yourself on your pc and just deal with letting it run or shut it down when you sleep or whatever
If its for a small group or bigger group/public look into server hosting services(avoid pingperfect) as it will save you a lot of money in the long run and a lot less hassle but again be warned you get what you pay for dont go for cheapest go for most reliable even if the cost is higher

Ah I see, that is good details you mention here. I manage to grab a barebone from Newegg and I build pc myself. So got this hardware and look like it will do fine. Now having two steam accounts running at the same time, don't think that will happen. So I may have to set up another Steam account and buy the unlimited use that as 24/7 from there. Just didn't want to use this pc all the time. Infact I do have good ISP here, least wont be in Sweden lol.

Now I gotta figure out what mods to use or even a map. I was really hoping WO would add that 1handed spear and I mention since August or September last year and doesn't look like they will do it. I do remember playing on someone server last year and they had 1handed spear and wanted to roleplay out a amazon character such as a wildelf or something lol.

Edited by Wildelf

I highly doubt you'll get more than 1-2 people playing your server these days, so i wouldn't bother with a full dedicated server. 

3 hours ago, atazs said:

I highly doubt you'll get more than 1-2 people playing your server these days, so i wouldn't bother with a full dedicated server. 

Yeah I agreed, just making something for myself to relax. Love the game, but in WO is a mess and wanted something that is brand new world like nature environment. Even playing by myself doesn't stop me from playing. But I will still keep this server open, maybe make some friends a long the way. Only thing I didn't like, when you stop playing, the world or time stopped until you come back. So I need something that been running 24/7, see how things grow.

Hows WO a mess out of curiosity? 

There are brand new servers coming soon 

1 hour ago, atazs said:

Hows WO a mess out of curiosity? 

There are brand new servers coming soon 

A lot of places are wrecked, some ugly, etc. That server is going to be just another zone to settle. Imagine so many players trying to race to get the sweet spot and going to be crazy. Might even be laggy as hell and believe it will connect to the rest of WO, not just brand new server. Let wait and see how things goes, looking forward to it myself too, but wasn't sure if that is what I am looking for.