Sign in to follow this  
Platyna

Some findings about how rarity affects dioptra and range pole.

I have designed a following experiment, for other people to test as well.

I paired a rare 97,11 quality range pole with two dioptras: rare 97,11 QL and normal 69,90 QL, all measurements were done while helper and planner stood in the centre of the tile on a flat highway or a sloped road. They were repeated several times in different locations on this road. 

Rare dioptra theoretical value of measurement is 38,884 tiles and it can measure 39 tiles:

[08:35:07] The range pole is 39 tiles straight West of you. Also, both ends are the same height, Nice!

08:58:49] The range pole is 39 tiles straight East of you. Also you appear to be 115 dirt lower than the range pole.

To rule out the fact it may be so because theoretical value is rounded up to full tiles, I used normal 69,90 QL dioptra, which has theoretical value of 27,84 - so the same tenth part value. So unless the rounding isn't done in some non-standard way unknown to me, a rare dioptra/range pole set seems to add one tile to a measurement - jest it only works if both, range pole and dioptra are rare. I tried different rare/normal dioptra/range pole combinations and never managed to measure beyond theoretical value rounded down, of the lowest QL item, even on a straight flat road. 

I need a high level carpentry and blacksmithing imp to answer another question of mine. If someone is willing to help me, PM me please. 

Thanks to Eirwengale for pole dancing. 

PS. dioptra works not only on moons, Sol is okay too. 

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 2

Incase you feel likre reading some code look in spoiler or either imp the items

anyway none code representation is the following
Item ql*0.4 + item rarity = max tiles

So in your case 97.11*0.4=38.844 +1 from rarity = 39

Spoiler

private static float maxTilesFor(Item item) {
        return item.getQualityLevel() * 0.4f + (float)item.getRarity();

case 3: {
                    float maxDioptraTiles = MethodsSurveying.maxTilesFor(source);
                    if (insta) {
                        qMsg = " (QL:" + source.getQualityLevel() + " [max tiles=" + maxDioptraTiles + "])";
                        rMsg = " (Range:" + rangeMeters + ")";
                    } else if (maxDioptraTiles < (float)(rangeMeters / 4)) {
                        pMsg = "The quality of the dioptra makes it too hard to work out the distance.";
                        done = true;
                        break;
                    }
                    if (helper != null) {
                        Emotes.emoteAt((short)2013, performer, helper);
                    }
                    pMsg = "You line up the dioptra with " + rp + ".";
                    hMsg = performer.getName() + " just signaled to you, so make sure you are holding your range pole and you are facing them!";
                    bMsg = performer.getName() + " points the dioptra.";
                    break;
                }

Item item = helper != null ? MethodsSurveying.subjectItemOrNull(helper) : target;
                    float poleQL = 0.0f;
                    float maxPoleTiles = 0.0f;
                    if (item != null) {
                        poleQL = item.getQualityLevel();
                        maxPoleTiles = MethodsSurveying.maxTilesFor(item);
                    }
                    if (insta) {
                        qMsg = " (QL:" + poleQL + " [max tiles:" + maxPoleTiles + "])";
                        rMsg = " (Range:" + rangeMeters + ")";
                    } else if (maxPoleTiles < (float)(rangeMeters / 4)) {
                        pMsg = "You can't read the graduations on the range pole at this distance.";
                        done = true;
                        break;
                    }

Edited by wipeout

Yes, and this is what experiment shows. I can measure 39 tiles, however this +1 tile doesn't seem to work when any of these items is not rare. I decided to perform his experiment because on Wiki article it is said. And I am exceptionally awful  programmer (except Bash and AWK, I guess I was born this way). 🙂 

Note: Rare functionality is still not completely understood and is an exciting aspect of the game. Most information listed is only an observation of one or more players rather than confirmed by developers.

Edited by Platyna

10 minutes ago, Platyna said:

Yes, and this is what experiment shows. I can measure 39 tiles, however this +1 tile doesn't seem to work when any of these items is not rare. I decided to perform his experiment because on Wiki article it is said. And I am exceptionally awful  programmer. 🙂 

Well wurm rounds down as java by default rounds down from what i know atleast the way this here is structured

Edited by wipeout

Well this is what I got from experiments, so I am happy that code confirms it. Thank you for your input. 

Edited by Platyna

12 hours ago, Trevize said:

Sol added as possible target in navigating. 

Will you also update rarity section on dioptra and range pole?

There's already a section on rarity: 'Rarity on dioptra affects the distance of the bridge that is being planned.' What do you want to add to it? 'Rarity on dioptra will add 1 tile to the possible length of the bridge being planned.' Is it ok?

Edited by Trevize

'Rarity on dioptra affects the distance of the bridge that is being planned.' 

It is not much informative, as it doesn't clearly say how it affects it. It also should be mentioned that one tile works only when paired with a rare range pole. Also, to be strict, it adds to the distance that can be spanned, which is useful not only for bridges. 

Edited by Platyna