Sign in to follow this  
Ayuna

Two pregnant, healthy animals died. Why?

Here is a puzzle to solve:

An aged bison and a mature horse both got pregnant in a very large, locked, off-deed pen that I use. Right before this, I had cast Humid Drizzle because one of the animals in the pen was diseased, which worked to get rid of the sickness.

The next day both of those animals had died, and only them. Why is this?

Edited by Ayuna
  • Cat 1

"Animals can have miscarriages which may kill the mother with no offspring spawned. Starving, off-deed, or on-deed below 15 ratio are known as the reasons for miscarriages." 

-Quote from wurmpedia. 

So offdead preggy can die without needing any other reasons at all.. 

Off deed pregnant creatures have a pretty good chance of miscarriage. As well as a 25% chance iirc to die from said miscarriage in any case.

Ah, thanks. So leading impregnated animals on deed with above 15 ratio right after impregnation, and keeping them there for the duration of pregnancy, would protect them from miscarriage?

7 minutes ago, Ayuna said:

Ah, thanks. So leading impregnated animals on deed with above 15 ratio right after impregnation, and keeping them there for the duration of pregnancy, would protect them from miscarriage?

Yes. 
And a lot of animal handlers also swear by doing the breeding on-deed as well. 

If you are getting tight on animal ratio ondeed, I would use offdeed pens (or barns, which are a little more secure as people cannot bash them, and can be planted with grass using a leggat and thatch) for anything that was not a pregnant female.   Just make sure to check them often for needed repairs.

Also, never hitch a pregnant female to a cart -- if you forget and drive it offdeed, people have reported miscarriage deaths from that as well.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I can confirm that I've had terrible luck for miscarriages in the past when I had pregnant animals off-deed.

Do beware, and for certain keep your breeding females on-deed with a > 15 tiles/animals ratio.